I Wouldn't Be Surprised To Get An Acc Invite In The Next Week | Page 3 | The Boneyard

I Wouldn't Be Surprised To Get An Acc Invite In The Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Or people smokin' some good stuff that they should share with the rest of us.

The ACC took Pitt and SU bec they needed to add two teams to re-open their TV deal and based on everything the ACC concluded that those were the most attractive teams to add. Now that the ACC will get more per team from ESPN they do not need to add any teams.

The new BE is a conglomeration that will likely not threaten the ACC or any other conference any time soon so no conference will be taking any BE teams in an effort to 'destroy' the BE in the near future.
On the other hand if the BE looks to be gaining an advantage as a football conference, the ACC could be concerned this will either impact their upcoming contract or the BE could leap frog ahead of them in the next negotiation. And that could cause disharmony amongst its members.

But more significantly the timing of the poaching took place when A&M announced they were heading to the SEC and there were rumors that action could begin conference realignment. So it is hard to know if the grab of Cuse and Pitt was just to get a couple of million more in the contract, or a defensive move or both.

If part of their decision was based on a fear the ACC would be one of the conferences left out of the super conference configuration, then the ACC has to be assessing things going on with the BE. If the ACC believes the BE could get enough monies in the upcoming contract that would cause the schools to make a significant commitment to one another, preventing the ACC to poach additional universities from this conference in the future, this could cause the ACC to spring to action before that could take place.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The ACC move was motivated by greed.

They saw a chance to throw a few million dollars in their pocket by removing a rival and they went for it.

The Big East, adding a bunch of teams that no one outside of their zip codes cares about, will present no challenge or concern to them.

RS9999X

There's no Dark Side .....it's all Dark.
Reaction Score
Go back and read the FSU officials comments a few weeks back. They say that there is no truth to the rumors of them moving to the SEC....because they have had no discussions and it is a non-starter for the SEC. They have never said there is no interest in the SEC. I firmly believe that if they recieved an offer from the SEC, they would be gone in a second.

The FSU President made a solid case for staying in the ACC. The loss of one good size research contract won in conjunction with the Research Triangle partners or Georgia Tech's Research Incubator more than offsets any financial gains from going to the SEC.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
5th Annual ACC Meeting of the Minds

Undergraduate Research Conference

April 16-17, 2010

Hosted by the Georgia Institute of Technology

Welcome to the website of the Fifth Annual ACC Meeting of the Minds Conference! Georgia Tech’s Undergraduate Research Opportunities Program is hosting this annual showcase of student research accomplishments in April 2010 in Atlanta, GA. We invite students and faculty from the ACC to participate in this exciting and enriching conference experience.

http://accconf2010.gatech.edu/accconf2010_program.pdf

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Try selling academia that you are moving to a lower ranked academic conference for $5 million a year more in football media money.

That isn't the way these things work and its why an ACC team to the SEC is always suspect. Try selling Old Miss and Missie State as your new Research Triangle

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
The ACC move was motivated by greed.

They saw a chance to throw a few million dollars in their pocket by removing a rival and they went for it.

The Big East, adding a bunch of teams that no one outside of their zip codes cares about, will present no challenge or concern to them.

Just like last time.

nelsonmuntz

Point Center
Reaction Score
Or people smokin' some good stuff that they should share with the rest of us.

The ACC took Pitt and SU bec they needed to add two teams to re-open their TV deal and based on everything the ACC concluded that those were the most attractive teams to add. Now that the ACC will get more per team from ESPN they do not need to add any teams.

The new BE is a conglomeration that will likely not threaten the ACC or any other conference any time soon so no conference will be taking any BE teams in an effort to 'destroy' the BE in the near future.

The ACC really blew it with expansion. They added two declining universities in dead factory towns where the population is not walking away, it is sprinting away. They bring a shrinking Pittsburgh market and...I have no idea what Syracuse brings. Both schools will have trouble recruiting New York in hoops, which will cause both to decline in that sport.

The initial reports of $5MM per school to take Pitt and Syracuse kind of justified the raid, but more recent rumors are the per school bump will be much less, which means that the ACC is not protected from an SEC raid at all.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
The ACC really blew it with expansion. They added two declining universities in dead factory towns where the population is not walking away, it is sprinting away. They bring a shrinking Pittsburgh market and...I have no idea what Syracuse brings. Both schools will have trouble recruiting New York in hoops, which will cause both to decline in that sport.

The initial reports of $5MM per school to take Pitt and Syracuse kind of justified the raid, but more recent rumors are the per school bump will be much less, which means that the ACC is not protected from an SEC raid at all.

Some of us have said this when the poaching first occured. Many people thought Swofford's moved were brilliant and ahead of the curve. They weren't. They were hasty and reactive rather than patient and well conceived. Swofford needed two more teams and was prodded to move quickly by the alleged shift of Texas and OU to the Pac which would have left the Big 12 reeling. I wonder if he would have done things differently if he knew the Pac deal would fall through.

RS9999X

Reaction Score
Looking at the history of these things Nelson, we haven't seen a University go to a conference that was ranked lower (on academics and research) than the one they were in.

The B12 and Pac-12 are kings in that respect. The BE last. The ACC is a distant 3. SEC (4). and B12 (5).

2 of the BE 4 premium programs are gone (SU and Pitt) and 2 of the B12's 3 premium programs (A&M and Missouri). Previously it was Nebraska

There you have it. Texas UConn and Rutgers anchor the lower two conferences

Reaction Score
No. UConn would and should take it. The ACC is not a better football conference than the reconstituted Big East, but it will have more geographic cohesion, much better hoops, more prestige and more stability.
The ACC is not a better football conf than the Big East???? Are you crazy? Miami, Pitt, Syracuse, FSU, Clemson, and Georgia Tech have all won multiple NC's in football and don't forget very strong programs like Virgina Tech, NC State, and North Carolina year in and year out. All these schools have extremely strong and entrenched alumni and booster support and recruit circles around the Big East or what's left of it. In terms of scholastic ranking...well don't even go there.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Looking at the history of these things Nelson, we haven't seen a University go to a conference that was ranked lower (on academics and research) than the one they were in.

The B12 and Pac-12 are kings in that respect. The BE last. The ACC is a distant 3. SEC (4). and B12 (5).

2 of the BE 4 premium programs are gone (SU and Pitt) and 2 of the B12's 3 premium programs (A&M and Missouri). Previously it was Nebraska

There you have it. Texas UConn and Rutgers anchor the lower two conferences

A&M did. If Missouri leaves, they'll go to a lower ranked coference academically, although not by much. Missouri isn't exactly premium academically. About the same as KU. Both AAU. I don't think the ACC is behind the Pac 10 at all, certainly not by much. But I agree with the general premise that prestige is a major motivator in these moves.

Reaction Score
Try selling academia that you are moving to a lower ranked academic conference for $5 million a year more in football media money.

That isn't the way these things work and its why an ACC team to the SEC is always suspect. Try selling Old Miss and Missie State as your new Research Triangle

If you tried selling that to them, they would yawn. As the head of the CIC said, "I'd be lying if I said Nebraska's academics came up when they were admitted to the B10."

You're clearly overstating things. The vast vast majority of academics wouldn't care, and most would think: good!

Reaction Score
interestingly the population in the greater syracuse area has remained steady for 30+ years, and the unemployment rate is below 8%. but feel free to keep on making inaccurate generalizations if you think it helps you prove a point.

also as a side note, we don't recruit nyc for hoops, we recruit nationally. i can't think of the last nyc kid we took, and if you think a move to the acc is going to hurt nyc recruiting, than you are just being naive.

Reaction Score
interestingly the population in the greater syracuse area has remained steady for 30+ years, and the unemployment rate is below 8%. but feel free to keep on making inaccurate generalizations if you think it helps you prove a point.

also as a side note, we don't recruit nyc for hoops, we recruit nationally. i can't think of the last nyc kid we took, and if you think a move to the acc is going to hurt nyc recruiting, than you are just being naive.

Not for nothing, but according to the Census, the population of Syracuse peaked in 1950 at around 220,000 and has fallen in every census since then to its present 145,000. Hardly steady.

HuskyNan

You Know Who
Reaction Score
Not for nothing, but according to the Census, the population of Syracuse peaked in 1950 at around 220,000 and has fallen in every census since then to its present 145,000. Hardly steady.
Right. From the march 24, 2011 Syracuse Post Standard:

Syracuse, NY -- In the last 10 years, the city of Syracuse's population has remained nearly flat -- decreasing by 2,176 -- while Onondaga County has grown by 8,690 residents, according to 2010 U.S. Census results released today.

The city of Syracuse has a population of 145,170, according to the count. That's a drop of 1.5 percent from the 2000 Census, which recorded 147,346 people.

That's a much slower decline than the previous decade, when Syracuse lost 16,554 residents from 1990 to 2000.

Reaction Score
But to be fair, I'm sure a lot of that exodus is from the city to the suburbs where the tv sets still tune in to Syracuse football games on a saturday afternoon.

Reaction Score
Right. From the march 24, 2011 Syracuse Post Standard:

Syracuse, NY -- In the last 10 years, the city of Syracuse's population has remained nearly flat -- decreasing by 2,176 -- while Onondaga County has grown by 8,690 residents, according to 2010 U.S. Census results released today.

The city of Syracuse has a population of 145,170, according to the count. That's a drop of 1.5 percent from the 2000 Census, which recorded 147,346 people.

That's a much slower decline than the previous decade, when Syracuse lost 16,554 residents from 1990 to 2000.
the "city" has dropped, but the county has gained, as some people have moved to the 'burbs. i'm not going to research it, but the data i have seen indicates that the "greater syracuse area" has remained relatively steady since the '70s. waylon acts like there is a mass exodus and empty houses on every street like detroit or buffalo, but it is just not the case.

RS9999X

Reaction Score

I lived in Syracuse in the 70s. It's kind of sad when I visit and go down Route 11 Northside or to the malls or Erie Boulevard. Marshall Street, etc. It's the same. only run down.

The metro area is +2.5% in the last 30 years. Like Hartford the burbs are an important part of the city.

Don't get me wrong: the Butt Ugly building just got torn down. Hartford calling Syracuse a loser city is like Larry kicking Curly because Moe told him to.

CT definitely has more industry (and the Carrier Headquarters --taunt). There are many similarities given the presence of UTC and the Carrier Dome founding and the Rent. In that sense they are almost sister cities. Both have that college sports ethos since pro sports have long left for greener pastures

Reaction Score
Building on the population theme.......

The link below gives us a snapshot in part of why the "back stabbers" (cuse and pitt) wants to migrate to the acc. They actually feel being aligned with this will provide a competitive advantage athletically. But like BC painfully discovered it will be a "no sale" outcome for them as well. No critical thinking.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2011/10/16/blacks-south-return_n_1014381.html

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
BL is right, you're wrong.

The ACC is a horrid football conference. It's richer, more stable, more appealing and more marketable...but the product on the field stinks.

Reaction Score
the "city" has dropped, but the county has gained, as some people have moved to the 'burbs. i'm not going to research it, but the data i have seen indicates that the "greater syracuse area" has remained relatively steady since the '70s. waylon acts like there is a mass exodus and empty houses on every street like detroit or buffalo, but it is just not the case.

Buffalo's in better shape than Syracuse.

Reaction Score
BL is right, you're wrong.

The ACC is a horrid football conference. It's richer, more stable, more appealing and more marketable...but the product on the field stinks.
I just flatly disagree. All the ACC teams I mentioned have a D1 football culture that collectively is lightyears ahead of anything the "New" Big East now has.

Reaction Score

If you think you recruit nationally and do not recruit NYC, you should look at your roster

Reaction Score
I just flatly disagree. All the ACC teams I mentioned have a D1 football culture that collectively is lightyears ahead of anything the "New" Big East now has.

I don't think Fishy said anything about what the Big East football conference is or isn't. He said that the ACC is a horrid football conference and he is right. Would Uconn join in a heartbeat? Yes, but it still would not be a great football conference.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I don't think Fishy said anything about what the Big East football conference is or isn't. He said that the ACC is a horrid football conference and he is right. Would Uconn join in a heartbeat? Yes, but it still would not be a great football conference.

But as presently constituted (with Pitt and Syracuse), it's the best basketball conference in the country. Add UConn and it's no contest. It's also and excellent soccer conference and baseball conference. Do any of you really want to see what would happen to UConn football in the SEC? It would be a miracle if we ever went .500 in conference. Be careful what you wish for.

Reaction Score
Are you guys making stuff up or reading stuff that isn't there? The comment was about ACC football product on the field. Nothing more than that. Didn't say anything about basketball, soccer, oozeball or tiddlywinks. And who is advocating the SEC for football?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom