I Wouldn't Be Surprised To Get An Acc Invite In The Next Week | Page 2 | The Boneyard

I Wouldn't Be Surprised To Get An Acc Invite In The Next Week

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I totally understand your point. The thing is, we will be one of the flagship programs in the NBE and an old guard member. In the ACC, power resides in North Carolina. While we will be one of the many northern teams, I am not sure we will be as well served or respected as the traditional ACC powers.

I think there is something to be said for being one of the marquee and founding members of a conference. If the Big East can still be a viable BCS football conference, UConn really needs to think it's next steps through. We need to play this out and see what things are going to be like in the New Big East. The other football schools never saw us as a peer. It was pretty clear and now most of them are leaving and got invites over us. Lack of football history is clearly the reason and we need to think about being somewhere we are wanted and valued.

SubbaBub

Your stupidity is ruining my country.
Reaction Score
I don't know if I buy the grand conspiracy to get to 4x16. The action to date smells more like isolated old men in over decorated offices CYA'ing up a storm.

I do believe the ACC is waiting on ND before expanding again. I suspect Uconn and RU have been given a nod.

I have no idea how long the ACC or ND are willing to let this go on.

I do believe the B12 is worried about reopening their TV deal and is desperate to have 10 teams next year.

I have no idea what the B1G might be thinking, but I suspect they are happy at 12.

Sent from my MB860 using Tapatalk

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Four days ago the universe was ending for UConn. Now the situation appears to be improving for the school. It appears there are two decent options.

The OP presents a scenario that has plausibility. Time will determine if this scenario plays out. It appears the BE has been in discussion with the incoming universities that Louisville and UConn may leave. So these incoming schools are entering the BE knowing this is possible.

I'm with BL. None of us can be certain how this plays out. There is still too much uncertainty within several of the conferences. But it is interesting to consider the possibilities.

I think the BE, B12 and the ACC are still vulnerable. They would be less vulnerable if the 4 super conference model was not the end game. You have to question if this is the goal. I can't imagine a more favorable time for the super conference model to develop than currently.

I see advantages and disadvantages for UConn in either the ACC or the NBE. I'm less invested in which conference UConn ends up in. I'm more interested that UConn maintains its excellence in BB, soccer and baseball and continues to develop its football program.

Reaction Score
I see advantages and disadvantages for UConn in either the ACC or the NBE. I'm less invested in which conference UConn ends up in. I'm more interested that UConn maintains its excellence in BB, soccer and baseball and continues to develop its football program.

You had me until the end. If it were just football, I could see wanting to stay with the NBE and trying to outperform the ACC. But it's not. I am hard pressed to see how the options are anywhere near equivalent for not just basketball but soccer, baseball and track as well. The ACC is better geographically and will have better competition. And, we don't have a guaranty that there will be long term stability in the conference make ups and the ACC will be less risky than the NBE there as well.

My preference is that all the leagues stay as they are today. But that ain't happening, and that realization makes the ACC, if we can get there, a better home for our athletic department.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
You had me until the end. If it were just football, I could see wanting to stay with the NBE and trying to outperform the ACC. But it's not. I am hard pressed to see how the options are anywhere near equivalent for not just basketball but soccer, baseball and track as well. The ACC is better geographically and will have better competition. And, we don't have a guaranty that there will be long term stability in the conference make ups and the ACC will be less risky than the NBE there as well.

My preference is that all the leagues stay as they are today. But that ain't happening, and that realization makes the ACC, if we can get there, a better home for our athletic department.
This conference thing is so fluid it almost makes my head spin. I guess all of our viewpoint are based partly on what exists as we write and what we are expecting to happen in the next several weeks or months.

I see the B12 imploding in the near future and when it does I believe Kansas and KS will end up joining the BE. And the BE will accept back WV. This will solidify the basket ball side of the conference making it arguably as good as the ACC. And it significantly increases the superiority of the NBE football vs. the ACC.

As far as geography and other sports the ACC is a better fit.

As far as stability goes, I can see several situations where the SEC and B!G decide to move and take enough ACC schools that the remaining football schools are so weak that conference will struggle to keep it's BCS status. So I can argue they are more stable now, but that can change very quickly.

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if five BCS conferences is how it will end up and the Big East will actually be one of the 5. Who would have thought the Big East could survive! This would lead to an 8 team playoff with the 5 league champions and 3 'wild cards'.

Here is a scenario:

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St to the Pac12
Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, and TCU to the Big East
Notre Dame and Rutgers to the Big Ten
Florida St and Virginia Tech to the SEC
UConn and Louisville to the ACC

The Pac12 and SEC would be at 16 teams, the Big East, B1G, and ACC would be at 14 teams.
Makes some sense, but if the ACC lost FSU and VPI, they could lose the BCS invite.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
Makes you wonder if five BCS conferences is how it will end up and the Big East will actually be one of the 5. Who would have thought the Big East could survive! This would lead to an 8 team playoff with the 5 league champions and 3 'wild cards'.

Here is a scenario:

Texas, Texas Tech, Oklahoma, and Oklahoma St to the Pac12
Kansas, Kansas St, Iowa St, Baylor, and TCU to the Big East
Notre Dame and Rutgers to the Big Ten
Florida St and Virginia Tech to the SEC
UConn and Louisville to the ACC

The Pac12 and SEC would be at 16 teams, the Big East, B1G, and ACC would be at 14 teams.
I could see this happening, but if those schools head to the conferences as you suggest, UConn would be making a mistake in not staying in the BE imo,

ctchamps

Reaction Score
lotta dreamers on this thread. ACC has no reason or desire to do squat near term.
It isn't dreaming at all. The ACC is doing what everyone is doing, examining what is taking place. And after examining the conference world they will either stay pat or decide things have changed once again which could threaten their stability and feel the need to make additional moves.

Reaction Score
It isn't dreaming at all. The ACC is doing what everyone is doing, examining what is taking place. And after examining the conference world they will either stay pat or decide things have changed once again which could threaten their stability and feel the need to make additional moves.

ACC will expand for one team and one team only, nd. People need to stop saying VT or FSU will leave and join the SEC. That s pure fiction.

UConnSportsGuy

Addicted to all things UCONN!
Reaction Score
ACC will expand for one team and one team only, nd. People need to stop saying VT or FSU will leave and join the SEC. That s pure fiction.

FSU would leave the ACC for the SEC in a heartbeat. The problem is, the SEC doesn't want FSU because of Florida.

ctchamps

Reaction Score
It is pure fiction unless it happens. I would say that VT and FSU are tremendous long shots in getting into the SEC. But crazier things with less possibility have occurred. Like winning eleven tournament games in a row after going 9-9 in conference play.

Reaction Score

Nah -- it's pure speculation. And that's just as true if you said VT and FSU turning down an SEC invite would be pure fiction.

Reaction Score
FSU would leave the ACC for the SEC in a heartbeat. The problem is, the SEC doesn't want FSU because of Florida.

And how exactly do you know this?

Its not like FSU is rutgers and they need a home or their conference has a sheet TV deal.

Reaction Score

Its not like FSU is rutgers and they need a home or their conference has a sheet TV deal.

You mean how does he know other than that the FSU President said they had not gotten an invitation because they were being blackballed?

Reaction Score
i think some of you are taking the BE's being raided too personally. i dont' think it's a concerted effort to destroy the BE. i think the ACC added two teams b/c that's what was contractually required to redo their badly undervalued contract. i don't think there's any more to it than that. all the conferences are simply doing what's in their own best interests, but i don't think there's any malicious, destroy-everything-in-our-path, overtones to it. it is politically impossible to reduce the number of BCS teams. it simply cannot happen, and it's attempted the result will be for the federal government to bring their anti-trust guns to bear, and i think we can all agree the number one goal of the BCS is to keep the gov't out of it.

the last expansion led to more BCS teams, and so will this one. if the ACC really wanted to destroy the BE they should have taken good teams that might hurt our BCS bid qualifications, but they didn't do that, they just brought in the teams they felt helped their TV contract the most.

Reaction Score
You mean how does he know other than that the FSU President said they had not gotten an invitation because they were being blackballed?

Where exactly in his statement did he say "FSU wants to join the SEC ?" Their are many universities and university presidents publicly begging for invites these days.

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score

My wife went to FSU for both her undergrad and masters--I know quite a few high level boosters there (actually attended the wedding of someone who had their daughter get married at the booster club at Doak Campbell Stadium....I can't imagine that is where his daughter really wanted to hold her wedding...but that is southern football culture I guess).

Having spent time around people from the program...they would kill to be in the SEC. They consider themselves a southern football program to the core. That is not what the ACC is about. If they had a chance to move to the SEC, they would jump on it...they feel like that is their rightful place.

Go back and read the FSU officials comments a few weeks back. They say that there is no truth to the rumors of them moving to the SEC....because they have had no discussions and it is a non-starter for the SEC. They have never said there is no interest in the SEC. I firmly believe that if they recieved an offer from the SEC, they would be gone in a second.

But I have not had this specific discussion with the President of FSU....so I guess I can't say for sure. But from all of the time I have spent in Tallahasse and with people within the program...I have very little doubt that this is the case.

Reaction Score
Hell no to a southeren conference!

The acc is the enemy and always will be. Tranghese and BC found out the hard way and so will any other mis guided northern university that places greed ahead of critical thinking, history and a serious culture divide.

Eight Ball, Corner Pocket #1: As long as Jim Calhoun is coaching here, UConn will remain in the BIG EAST.

Eight Ball, Corner Pocket #2: If UConn is overcomed by greed and a severe case of physiological cataracts
that blinds it to the truth and ends up in the acc; it will face the same hardships and difficult times BC has encountered since it's joined the acc in attracting star studded black athletes to campus.

Reaction Score
My wife went to FSU for both her undergrad and masters--I know quite a few high level boosters there (actually attended the wedding of someone who had their daughter get married at the booster club at Doak Campbell Stadium....I can't imagine that is where his daughter really wanted to hold her wedding...but that is southern football culture I guess).

Having spent time around people from the program...they would kill to be in the SEC. They consider themselves a southern football program to the core. That is not what the ACC is about. If they had a chance to move to the SEC, they would jump on it...they feel like that is their rightful place.

Go back and read the FSU officials comments a few weeks back. They say that there is no truth to the rumors of them moving to the SEC....because they have had no discussions and it is a non-starter for the SEC. They have never said there is no interest in the SEC. I firmly believe that if they recieved an offer from the SEC, they would be gone in a second.

But I have not had this specific discussion with the President of FSU....so I guess I can't say for sure. But from all of the time I have spent in Tallahasse and with people within the program...I have very little doubt that this is the case.

So its your speculation, fair enough....

UConnSportsGuy

Reaction Score
So its your speculation, fair enough....

And your source? I am assuming your father must be Eric Barron since you are so well informed and can criticize others on a message board unless they have officially documented proof of every statement!:rolleyes:

Reaction Score
i think some of you are taking the BE's being raided too personally. i dont' think it's a concerted effort to destroy the BE. i think the ACC added two teams b/c that's what was contractually required to redo their badly undervalued contract. i don't think there's any more to it than that. all the conferences are simply doing what's in their own best interests, but i don't think there's any malicious, destroy-everything-in-our-path, overtones to it. it is politically impossible to reduce the number of BCS teams. it simply cannot happen, and it's attempted the result will be for the federal government to bring their anti-trust guns to bear, and i think we can all agree the number one goal of the BCS is to keep the gov't out of it.

the last expansion led to more BCS teams, and so will this one. if the ACC really wanted to destroy the BE they should have taken good teams that might hurt our BCS bid qualifications, but they didn't do that, they just brought in the teams they felt helped their TV contract the most.

I don't know. You don't find it a little naive to state that one conference wants to come into another conference's previously exclusive territory, but that in doing so they have no interest in destroying their competitor? Why wouldn't they have that interest?

Reaction Score
I don't know. You don't find it a little naive to state that one conference wants to come into another conference's previously exclusive territory, but that in doing so they have no interest in destroying their competitor? Why wouldn't they have that interest?

And Flipper pretty much said one big reason ACC invited Pitt was because ACC did not want B12 gain access to the PA market.

Reaction Score
lotta dreamers on this thread. ACC has no reason or desire to do squat near term.

Or people smokin' some good stuff that they should share with the rest of us.

The ACC took Pitt and SU bec they needed to add two teams to re-open their TV deal and based on everything the ACC concluded that those were the most attractive teams to add. Now that the ACC will get more per team from ESPN they do not need to add any teams.

The new BE is a conglomeration that will likely not threaten the ACC or any other conference any time soon so no conference will be taking any BE teams in an effort to 'destroy' the BE in the near future.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Or people smokin' some good stuff that they should share with the rest of us.

The ACC took Pitt and SU bec they needed to add two teams to re-open their TV deal and based on everything the ACC concluded that those were the most attractive teams to add. Now that the ACC will get more per team from ESPN they do not need to add any teams.

The new BE is a conglomeration that will likely not threaten the ACC or any other conference any time soon so no conference will be taking any BE teams in an effort to 'destroy' the BE in the near future.

Anyone who thinks they really know what the conference landscape will look like next month, let alone in a year, is smokin' some good stuff.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom