OT: - Hurricane Henri | Page 10 | The Boneyard

OT: Hurricane Henri

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They were giving the most accurate reports from what the radar modeling was telling them, it weakened when it hit cold waters like often happens up north and it shifted multiple timesaving, at least that's my limited understanding of what happened...

It does seem like Fred and the Southern states sure got short shrift on the coverage though, there's towns all over the place down there that ate wiped out and there's cars in tree. I never even heard of Fred until about an hour ago and I've been watching a tremendous amount of cable news lately. Chris Cuomo was going on and on about the Hamptons earlier today and no mention of RI and eastern CT. where this storm was actually hitting and nothing on Fred. I have to imagine people in the South are wondering, what about us?
Yeah,I think TN and NC got it way worst than expected. Fred kinda petered out as it hit the gulf coast and everyone's attention went to Henri.

But these storms still have tremendous energy and moisture and when they hit inland mountains they dump. TN and NC basically got same impact as Haiti did from Fred.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
There are problems with causing widespread panic. Loss of confidence in the people supplying the information, shortages, short term inflation, productivity loss, increased stress and anxiety of the population. I think giving the most accurate depiction of what’s happening is the best approach.
This take is soft

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
I expect see heavy flooding in Western CT, Mass and even through Hudson River valley as all this water funnels from streams and tributaries to larger rivers.

All this water has to go somewhere and gravity and momentum always win out.

Reaction Score
Yeah,I think TN and NC got it way worst than expected. Fred kinda petered out as it hit the gulf coast and everyone's attention went to Henri.

But these storms still have tremendous energy and moisture and when they hit inland mountains they dump. TN and NC basically got same impact as Haiti did from Fred.
It seems like people get wrapped up so much in the awesome power of wind but most of these events are all about flooding. Water is pretty much like fire in terms of destruction and death.

Reaction Score
I expect see heavy flooding in Western CT, Mass and even through Hudson River valley as all this water funnels from streams and tributaries to larger rivers.

All this water has to go somewhere and gravity and momentum always win out.
If the water does get high, western Connecticut will be fortunate that the flood of 55 happened. So many flood control dams on the upper Naugatuck and Housatonic rivers and their tributaries.

Reaction Score
I don’t think you understand hurricanes. The data was accurate. The forecasts rarely are because it is like trying to predict the path of a cork bobbing in the ocean. One little shift affects the entire path, and those shifts happen constantly. Do you think they are not trying to be accurate?
Given everything he posts on this site in reference to the media and non-basketball posts, I think there's a 100% chance he believes they're being purposely inaccurate

Reaction Score
It seems like people get wrapped up so much in the awesome power of wind but most of these events are all about flooding. Water is pretty much like fire in terms of destruction and death.
Your right however for whatever reason or situations some of our population fear wind for loss of power. Not everyone have generators or battery back ups to run their sump pumps which causes flooding issues and property loss and if you live in California and I have. Santa Anna winds can be very horrific and destructive.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
They were giving the most accurate reports from what the radar modeling was telling them, it weakened when it hit cold waters like often happens up north and it shifted multiple timesaving, at least that's my limited understanding of what happened...

It does seem like Fred and the Southern states sure got short shrift on the coverage though, there's towns all over the place down there that ate wiped out and there's cars in tree. I never even heard of Fred until about an hour ago and I've been watching a tremendous amount of cable news lately. Chris Cuomo was going on and on about the Hamptons earlier today and no mention of RI and eastern CT. where this storm was actually hitting and nothing on Fred. I have to imagine people in the South are wondering, what about us?

They were forecasting 6-9 inches and parts of TN got 17 inches in 24 hours.

Reaction Score
Your right however for whatever reason or situations some of our population fear wind for loss of power. Not everyone have generators or battery back ups to run their sump pumps which causes flooding issues and property loss and if you live in California and I have. Santa Anna winds can be very horrific and destructive.
Because I can’t get enough of the storm related song thread…

Here come those Santa Ana winds again…

Reaction Score
Seeing them Nov. 9 at the Capitol Theater in Port Chester. Still so strange seeing Donald without Walter Becker.
Have not seen them since Walter Becker passed. I can imagine it will be strange with out him on stage. Should still be an exceptional show however. Nice venue too.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Brutal Damn hurricane messed up my hairdo
I had a friend who's bald post, with great alarm, a weather app screenshot of a pollen alert for today.

It's always something.

Reaction Score
Shiri Spear here in Boston is like that. Knows how to rock a dress though.

We lost power around 11:30-1:30.

Attachments

• 1F540BA8-4C70-4D1D-9A3D-3C75959B347A.jpeg
    1F540BA8-4C70-4D1D-9A3D-3C75959B347A.jpeg
    188 KB · Views: 169

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Now what an I gonna do with my months supply of bread, milk, and eggs?
Breakfast for the neighborhood?

boba

Somewhere around Barstow
Reaction Score
Borderline bucket list is going for a ride in the Hurricane Hunters once.
way back when... my last act as an aircraft mechanic. I was in Biloxi for retraining and old friends got me on a flight as auxiliary crew member.
Did NOT earn my wings, mostly because there was nothing in my gut.

Dove

Part of the 2%
Reaction Score
I don’t think you understand hurricanes. The data was accurate. The forecasts rarely are because it is like trying to predict the path of a cork bobbing in the ocean. One little shift affects the entire path, and those shifts happen constantly. Do you think they are not trying to be accurate?
While my wife took the wheel through Massachusetts today I was locked in on Twitter and all the local weather wonks showing the storm button hooking around Hartford and heading east.

Right now the storm is in Pennsylvania.

Reaction Score
I'm a conspiracy theorist. Supermarkets control the weather forecasts to increase sales and profit.
Actually, it’s media companies looking for ratings. The talking heads on tv are paid to hype these storms.

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Good point. Rick Knabb, who is a former head of the National Hurricane Center, was talking about that yesterday. He said that people tend to think that the worst is over when a hurricane is downgraded to tropical storm and depression but the slow moving storm is over more concern due to all the rain in a short period of time. He was more focused on how slowing moving the storm was becoming.

Chin Diesel

Power of Love
Reaction Score
Had CNN on all day while I was cooking and cleaning around the house. All the weather coverage was Henri, Cuomo was talking about the Hamptons the entire time and they had a guy up in Boston. I heard it from CNN when I posted, it was the first I heard about it or that anything was going on down South. They phone interviewed a woman for a couple of minutes who lost her house and they cut to two minutes of the state press conference and the Senator said nobody is talking about us, please don't forget about us. I think the flooding happened yesterday or the day before down there and the flooding in NC was like a week ago. Couldn't believe it was the first I heard about it.

The USA Today story has a sentence about a dad in TN who had twin babies ripped from his arms while dealing with the flooding. Can't get more brutal than that.

Reaction Score
Feeling very fortunate that the Shoreline was spared in this storm, especially after last year's disaster: 15 days without power in a 5-week stretch, three fallen trees including two which hit our house. Hope everyone else is faring well.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom