Hurley will never take UConn to the next level | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hurley will never take UConn to the next level

Reaction Score
No around the bubble next year. No regression allowed. UConn will be a five seed or better next year. I'm not sold on DH as an in game coach, yet, but I think he knows how to grow a program and I don't see a step back next year.
Step backs happen even for established coaches, when they lose key pieces.

We lost Ray Allen and were bad in 1997.

We lost Khalid and a bunch of seniors and were bad in 2001.

We lost 4 1st rounders and were bad in 2007.

We lost Kemba and were bad in 2012.

That was a Hall of Fame coach.

We're losing our best player, probably another starter, and the BE 6th man of the year (though I thought that was laughable). I'm not writing off next year, but regression and cycles happen even for great programs.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002 your points are valid. I just think the state of the program is in a different place then in the years you point out. The years you mention were great and some regression could be expected. Our accomplishments this year - third in the BE, a 7 seed and first round loss is far from great. My thinking is year four of a steady build under DH should be better than year three. I'm thinking third or better in BE, make the BE tourney final, 5 seed and at least one win in the tourney. There's enough in the cupboard to get that done.

Reaction Score
His dad and his brother are great basketball minds. But I hope he talks to others and considers adjusting his style.
Agree that Hurley’s dad is a great basketball mind. I’ve seen some coaching clinics of his and read a great book about him and his high school program. As far as Bobby he’s done well too. But, in 6 years at AZ State he is 5 games UNDER .500 in conference. Not sure we want to use him as an example just yet. Our Hurley is getting crap for not beating the top 2 teams in the Big East in year one. Being 5 games under .500 in conference after 6 seasons? Bobby needs to do a lot better than that before I call him a great basketball mind.

Reaction Score
@Tenspro2002 your points are valid. I just think the state of the program is in a different place then in the years you point out. The years you mention were great and some regression could be expected. Our accomplishments this year - third in the BE, a 7 seed and first round loss is far from great. My thinking is year four of a steady build under DH should be better than year three. I'm thinking third or better in BE, make the BE tourney final, 5 seed and at least one win in the tourney. There's enough in the cupboard to get that done.
Nobody is comparing a 7 seed and third place in the BE to a national championship season. Anyone that is - is out of their minds.

Reaction Score
Yes, the overall trajectory should continue upward, but on top of that there's still going to be cycles. Think of a sine wave on top of a positive-sloped line.

It may happen that Year 4 has worse results than Year 3, but that the trajectory is still upward.

Reaction Score
Totally outcoached tonight. No FG in last 7 minutes...Are you kidding me? He had the deer in headlights look & didnt know how to change things up to get an easy basket or 2 down the stretch. Same pattern with him in close games against good teams over the years. Nothing has changed.
Big man played 12 min. Other team goes small and Hurley pulls our big.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom