Hurley will never take UConn to the next level | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hurley will never take UConn to the next level

Reaction Score
Got to cut Hurley some slack. He’s never run an elite program with high expectations. He is not an HOF coach and has to grow into the job. In the same token, I see no problem calling out his deficiencies. He ought to be embarrassed by his teams lack of mental and execution readiness in every big moment this year.

Reaction Score
Stop the nonsense. Ollie's recruits aren't the reason we lost. In fact, one can argue Whaley and Polley were two of our better players last night. Whaley was Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Polley Big East Sixth Man of the Year.

We did not lose because of a lack of a talent. We were completely unprepared. No one was a bigger Ollie critic than me, but this is a weak mentality when his recruits are actually 2 of the better players on the team.

PS: I do not want to hear from Hurley next year that we are in Year 4 of a rebuild.
Whaley gets about 1-3 blocks a game which is why he won defensive player of the year, and you can attribute that to DH coaching him up. but what else can Whaley do at an elite level? He’s not a high scoring player, doesn’t have the build to play strong down low, besides the blocks Whaley was getting bullied. Kid was inconsistent. He’s not a DH type of player so you can say that’s one of the reasons why we lost. Polley, besides banking threes what else can he do? He can’t play defense, he can’t make his way to the basket, kid was also inconsistent. He elevated his game with DH but again he’s not a DH type of player. Our other big? Charlton? Laughable. Kid can bare get off the floor for a dunk. Misses a lot of layups. He’s weak. Another Ollie recruit. He’s not a DH player. So please. DH is a way better coach than Ollie would ever be and he’ll prove it. Already made it to the NCAA tournament in year 3. With some of Ollie inconsistent players. Year 3.

Reaction Score
Whaley gets about 1-3 blocks a game which is why he won defensive player of the year, and you can attribute that to DH coaching him up. but what else can Whaley do at an elite level? He’s not a high scoring player, doesn’t have the build to play strong down low, besides the blocks Whaley was getting bullied. Kid was inconsistent. He’s not a DH type of player so you can say that’s one of the reasons why we lost. Polley, besides banking threes what else can he do? He can’t play defense, he can’t make his way to the basket, kid was also inconsistent. He elevated his game with DH but again he’s not a DH type of player. Our other big? Charlton? Laughable. Kid can bare get off the floor for a dunk. Misses a lot of layups. He’s weak. Another Ollie recruit. He’s not a DH player. So please. DH is a way better coach than Ollie would ever be and he’ll prove it. Already made it to the NCAA tournament in year 3. With some of Ollie inconsistent players. Year 3.

I have a good idea for a different handle. How about "Nope!"

Reaction Score
What is the time that Hurley has to bring us back to blue blood status? Some of you are acting like the answer is forever. He is a great recruiter I'll give him that, but he has to work the board like a grand master to win it all. Calhoun did it and KO and his team certainly did too in 14.

Reaction Score
What is the time that Hurley has to bring us back to blue blood status? Some of you are acting like the answer is forever. He is a great recruiter I'll give him that, but he has to work the board like a grand master to win it all. Calhoun did it and KO and his team certainly did too in 14.
I'd say he has 3-4 years to turn this into a program consistently reaching the second weekend. Winning a championship(s) much much longer, likely until he retires as long as we're making runs in the tournament most years

Reaction Score

You're clearly new to the yard. Everyone on the boneyard knows that I was the harshest and biggest Ollie critic there was. I am not here to defend Ollie. I am glad he is gone because he took us from the mountaintop to Tulsa. That became his legacy. Whaley and Polley were and are two of the better players on our team despite their deficiencies. What does that tell you when you compare them to strictly Hurley recruits.

Getting to the NCAA tournament is great, but this is UCONN and with our history, pedigree, resources, brand, etc, it is not that difficult for any average coach to take UCONN to the tournament in year 3. Nate Oats at Alabama and Musselman at a nothing place like Arkansas are doing well immediately getting high seeds in in the tournament as soon as they got the jobs. I like the fact that Hurley has stabilized the program.

The fact that you take great pride in making the tournament and getting smacked opening round shows how low the bar and expectations have fallen. Something called an Oral Roberts University is in the Sweet 16.

PS: There are warning signs from the constant rebuild narrative mentioned to deflect any and all serious questions, no shooters or great point guards targeted in recruiting, the Akok media situation/explanations, and bad in-game coaching that are concerning.

PS: I am the first to sound the alarm bells. Like I did with Ollie.

Reaction Score
I'd say he has 3-4 years to turn this into a program consistently reaching the second weekend. Winning a championship(s) much much longer, likely until he retires as long as we're making runs in the tournament most years
3-4 more years? You mean 7 years total? Because next year is year 4, but I am on board with Huskymagic’s assessment and concern in the post above.

Reaction Score
3-4 more years? You mean 7 years total? Because next year is year 4, but I am on board with Huskymagic’s assessment and concern in the post above.
Yes, 3-4 more years. The fact that you're on board with Huskymagic's post though makes it obvious we won't agree on this

Reaction Score
7 is too many.
Ok so let's say 7 is too many years to give Hurley, he's already have 3 and will clearly get a 4th. Where exactly do you think we should be at year 5 that you'd fire Dan Hurley?

Reaction Score
Ok so let's say 7 is too many years to give Hurley, he's already have 3 and will clearly get a 4th. Where exactly do you think we should be at year 5 that you'd fire Dan Hurley?
Year 5 we better be a top 20 team all season and minimum 5 seed in the tournament with at least a S16 appearance. These will all be Hurley's guys by that point with multiple top 20 recruiting classes. No excuses. As mentioned, Oats and Musselman have been killing it at Bama and Arkansas of all places in less than 3 years on the job.

Reaction Score
I'm not saying fire but if he doesn't get to the NCAA with all of his players and advance past the first round it needs to be considered. Huskymagic had a lot of good points. Hurley has a number of in game coaching deficiencies as has been discussed in this forum from substitution patterns, time out usage, in game adjustments. He needs to utilize his assistants on the sidelines more, their viewpoint or perspective may help him see something that he hasn't - you very rarely see him talking to them during the game.

Everyone likes to compare him to Calhoun and posters have stated that Calhoun started in a better place. That's BS. He had 2 players declared academically ineligible his first year, won the NIT in his second and got within 1 basket of the final four in his fourth and proceeded to only miss the Tournament 5 times during the rest of his tenure. The program had no National footprint. He didn't take over a program that had won 4 NC's. Hurley has advantages that Calhoun never had - Gampel, new training facility and great basketball history.

He has shown he can recruit, but can he build a team with the needed pieces.
Players reflect their coach and from Hurley's post game pressor he admitted that Ayala scared him as well matching with 5 out. It's fine he felt that way and good that he could recognize what the difficulties might be playing Maryland, but after 6 days to prepare there didn't seem to be a plan and the kids looked like they were playing not to lose. They didn't look confident, even if a coach has doubts he can't let his players know or feel that.

I'm done now and know I will catch a lot of crap for this - but these are my thoughts and observations after 40+years of being a fan and 37 years as a season ticket holder who watches every minute of every game good or bad.

Reaction Score
Have to see how next year shakes out, but if it turns out to be a disaster, he gets maybe one more year, tops....IMO

Reaction Score
Have to see how next year shakes out, but if it turns out to be a disaster, he gets maybe one more year, tops....IMO
I think Hurley has the program going in the right direction. It's going to take some time to build a team that consistently makes tournament runs.
Give him the tools and let him run the program.

Are Uconn alums going to write a $10million check to Hurley like Archie Miller?

Reaction Score
I'm not saying fire but if he doesn't get to the NCAA with all of his players and advance past the first round it needs to be considered. Huskymagic had a lot of good points. Hurley has a number of in game coaching deficiencies as has been discussed in this forum from substitution patterns, time out usage, in game adjustments. He needs to utilize his assistants on the sidelines more, their viewpoint or perspective may help him see something that he hasn't - you very rarely see him talking to them during the game.

Everyone likes to compare him to Calhoun and posters have stated that Calhoun started in a better place. That's BS. He had 2 players declared academically ineligible his first year, won the NIT in his second and got within 1 basket of the final four in his fourth and proceeded to only miss the Tournament 5 times during the rest of his tenure. The program had no National footprint. He didn't take over a program that had won 4 NC's. Hurley has advantages that Calhoun never had - Gampel, new training facility and great basketball history.

He has shown he can recruit, but can he build a team with the needed pieces.
Players reflect their coach and from Hurley's post game pressor he admitted that Ayala scared him as well matching with 5 out. It's fine he felt that way and good that he could recognize what the difficulties might be playing Maryland, but after 6 days to prepare there didn't seem to be a plan and the kids looked like they were playing not to lose. They didn't look confident, even if a coach has doubts he can't let his players know or feel that.

I'm done now and know I will catch a lot of crap for this - but these are my thoughts and observations after 40+years of being a fan and 37 years as a season ticket holder who watches every minute of every game good or bad.
Kathy, all good points and no one is saying Hurley shouldn’t have a couple more seasons to recruit and addresses his coaching deficiencies. After all he’s signed and guaranteed big money and it’s not like we have any choice but to give him his shot, and I prefer to think it will work. To me it was the wording he used to describe the game and the season while admitting he has a ways to go. Quite different from what we might hear from with Calhoun after being bounced from round 1.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Hurley is a good coach. i still think he is relying on what got him here, not what will keep him here. There is a difference. His dad and his brother are great basketball minds. But I hope he talks to others and considers adjusting his style.

There are a lot of ways to win basketball games. The easiest way is rarely going to be the way everyone else is using. If every team wants 6’6” wings who can shoot, those guys will be scarce. if nobody wants a real center, they will be available.

I have mentioned Bill Belichick before but it remains true. A legendary 3-4 defense guy. Went 4-3 because 3-4 OLB became too expensive. I hope Danny adjusts and becomes a lot more flexible. Cannot win by cramming square pegs in a round Hole.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Expectations should be more or less as follows, and I think Hurley would agree with this:
  • Ranked and comfortably in the Tournament most years
  • Good years (~1/3 of the time) top 15, winning the Big East, 3 seed or better, Sweet 16/Elite 8-type run with a higher ceiling
  • Consistent player development
  • Bad years ( <1/3 of the time) fringe bubble team at worst with a young team

The problem is that given where the program was, it took 3 years just to get into a stable cycle, and next year is looking potentially like one of those less-than-dominant young teams.

I think we'll probably be around the bubble next year, albeit with a lot of variance. But the year after that, 2022-23, with Gaffney and Akok as seniors, Sanogo and Jackson as juniors (no, neither of them is leaving after next year), and a year under the belt for next year's incoming class, should be one of those top 10, second weekend type teams.

Reaction Score
You're clearly new to the yard. Everyone on the boneyard knows that I was the harshest and biggest Ollie critic there was. I am not here to defend Ollie. I am glad he is gone because he took us from the mountaintop to Tulsa. That became his legacy. Whaley and Polley were and are two of the better players on our team despite their deficiencies. What does that tell you when you compare them to strictly Hurley recruits.

Getting to the NCAA tournament is great, but this is UCONN and with our history, pedigree, resources, brand, etc, it is not that difficult for any average coach to take UCONN to the tournament in year 3. Nate Oats at Alabama and Musselman at a nothing place like Arkansas are doing well immediately getting high seeds in in the tournament as soon as they got the jobs. I like the fact that Hurley has stabilized the program.

The fact that you take great pride in making the tournament and getting smacked opening round shows how low the bar and expectations have fallen. Something called an Oral Roberts University is in the Sweet 16.

PS: There are warning signs from the constant rebuild narrative mentioned to deflect any and all serious questions, no shooters or great point guards targeted in recruiting, the Akok media situation/explanations, and bad in-game coaching that are concerning.

PS: I am the first to sound the alarm bells. Like I did with Ollie.
Biggest Ollie critic was I for sure if you look at my post history. No one can take that crown from me. Lol!

Reaction Score
This is ridiculous
Very dumb post indeed. He’s got years left after his latest extension and other than tournament wins, checks off every box you’d want in a coach and program builder. I do expect to see him make better in game adjustments though and beat good teams. Next year will be all his kids, no more excuses for not taking the program to another level.

Last edited:

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
Can we stop comparing Calhoun to Dan Hurley? The disrespect to Calhoun is insanity.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
I think we'll probably be around the bubble next year, albeit with a lot of variance.
No around the bubble next year. No regression allowed. UConn will be a five seed or better next year. I'm not sold on DH as an in game coach, yet, but I think he knows how to grow a program and I don't see a step back next year.

Reaction Score
Carlton carried us to are only big win of the year USC
Also on the road with a injured Bouk and down big Polley carried us to victory and another road win after that.
Whaley was consistent all year
By the way
Whaley was a natural shot blocker as a freshman he played 13-14 minutes a game. He had no offensive game what so ever or he would have started.
Polley shot 40% from the three as a freshman actually his senior year was his worse shooting year.
Carlton has had some great moments in his career all four years . 15 in a win against Fla, multiple doubles. A-monster in the Cinncy win . For a kid with limited athleticism he did pretty well.
That was the 8th best recruiting class in the weak AAC because they were raw .
Did they get better in 3-4 years of maturity . Even if I were coaching them they would of gotten better.
Since they were skinny boys when they came here I should hope so.
So without these guys no NCAA this year.
Whaley led the team in blocks as a freshman. Even I was shocked as played less than 15 minutes a game.
He came as a gifted defensive player with minimal offensive skills.
Hurley forget he was on the team his sophomore year which was bizarre because that team needed defense,
This was Polley’s worse shooting year of the four although he is coming off ACL and got more attention because of our lack of options.
He shot over 40% his freshman and Junior years and 38% as a sophomore.
Carlton lead the team doubles as a sophomore and barely played as a senior. He did save us in our only real quality win against USC.
Whaley was a workhorse all year not as good a scorer as he showed late last year but that was a small sample size.
And if not for Carlton heroic against USC and Polley when Bouk went down we’re probably not in the tourney.
Yes they got bigger and stronger which is pretty normal for 18-19 year old freshman become 21-22 year old seniors .

Reaction Score
We just made the tourney for the first time in a billion years and the reaction for some is how long does the coach have before we $hitcan him. Some of you are unbearable. Our athletic director just gave him an extension. Can we at least let things play out a bit and get together in support as a fanbase before we gather with pitchforks? We don't even know our full roster for next year. There is so much premature and unnecessary angst going on here. If it turns out he's not the guy for the job it will become apparent soon enough. Until then, here is a novel idea..how about some support? Doesn't mean he can't be questioned or criticized when appropriate. However, the constant meltdowns and targeted attacks every time a bad outcome occurs is such a bad look and so on brand for 2021. Progress is not always an upward linear deal. Get it together for the love of pete.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom