Hurley will never take UConn to the next level | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley will never take UConn to the next level

Reaction Score
Then define next level. What level can Hurley take us to and what level can he not?
I think he’ll have a very hard time getting us back to an elite program mentioned right outside the blueblood programs we’ve been discussed with during Calhouns time.

Not saying it’s a bad thing but that’s my definition which you can disagree with.

I do think he has great energy and recruiting but as an on court coach I’ve seen almost no progress in 3 years.

Reaction Score
Lock this thread up. We’ve got three absolute imbecile‘s that are clueless posting absolute nonsense. Hurley has moved our program forward, in gameplay and recruiting, year after year!!! Top three in the Big East and a top 35-ish team most of the season.

Reaction Score
I never really posted here much. I have a reasonably busy life. Not sure where the 18 month thing came in like I went away or something. I do lurk and enjoy.

Either way - it is his in-game coaching including how refs respond to him, bizarre 3-year rebuild messaging, and complaining around fans critiquing him as a problem.

it’s ok to talk that talk about the rebuilding but it was time to pay the piper today or any other big game this year and his teams continuously folded like a cheap tent.

By the way, Ollies guys played well and his guys had no mental or physical toughness against a team that went 9-11 in league play. Will be interesting how he spins it in Andreas next big podcast.
Your last post was in 2019 before tonight which is weird considering how far UConn has come from depths of 2018. Hurley has us in position to compete at a high level. So him getting us to the tournament for the first time since 2016 compelled you to post? Interesting.
Come back and post after some wins next year and after we bring in another top 10 recruiting class. Hopefully Hurleys antics wont be too much for you to take

Reaction Score
I feel like some of these folks brag about hitting their kids to let them know whose boss, only to wonder why those kids don’t really like them that much or treat their own kids like that too.

Reaction Score
You do realize that only one of Ollie's recruits is a starter for this team.
And you do realize UCONN wasn't a destination after year 2. We lost our top shooter after his Frosh year. Talent didn't want to come here. Olllie lost the team. You bring in better players and program will advance to compete for BiG East top dog. We have a top ten recruiting class next year future is bright.

Reaction Score
Your last post was in 2019 before tonight which is weird considering how far UConn has come from depths of 2018. Hurley has us in position to compete at a high level. So him getting us to the tournament for the first time since 2016 compelled you to post? Interesting.
Come back and post after some wins next year and after we bring in another top 10 recruiting class. Hopefully Hurleys antics wont be too much for you to take
I’m sorry I don’t post on your forums enough. I don’t believe that making a tournament of 64 teams is “next level”. That was OPs opening.

If you are new and have no memory then, yes, making the tournament, getting a participant trophy, pointing the fingers at your players and fans, doing cool podcasts, and getting completely outcoaxhed by a heated rival is definitely “next level”.

You act like another coach couldn’t get us in the tourney.

Reaction Score
I’m sorry I don’t post on your forums enough. I don’t believe that making a tournament of 64 teams is “next level”. That was OPs opening.

If you are new and have no memory then, yes, making the tournament, getting a participant trophy, pointing the fingers at your players and fans, doing cool podcasts, and getting completely outcoaxhed by a heated rival is definitely “next level”.

You act like another coach couldn’t get us in the tourney.
What’s next level for you? Once again, we were completely in the dumper. Getting blown out too. That’s stopped. The climb is ongoing - too bad it’s not quick enough for you. Also seems like you are really triggered by Hurley. Don’t know what he’s done to you. See you in 2023 or something I guess?

Reaction Score
What’s next level for you? Once again, we were completely in the dumper. Getting blown out too. That’s stopped. The climb is ongoing - too bad it’s not quick enough for you. Also seems like you are really triggered by Hurley. Don’t know what he’s done to you. See you in 2023 or something I guess?

I’m just saying he has to improve in-game and I question that progress in a big way in his time here. He also is inflammatory towards refs and his team has not shown up in tough games. His best player today was not one of his guys. I don’t know where you point to prove otherwise. We haven’t won a close game this year.

And I do believe he or any other reasonable coach that inherited the uconn brand could have gotten us to the level to get embarrassed in the round of 64 as we did today. I don’t consider that “next level”.

I don’t know how much worse you could get it handed to you by a rival you hate. Turgeon literally outcoached him at every turn.

I think Donny Marshall was right about us. I think Jay Wright was right about us.

Reaction Score
I’m just saying he has to improve in-game and I question that progress in a big way in his time here. He also is inflammatory towards refs and his team has not shown up in tough games. His best player today was not one of his guys. I don’t know where you point to prove otherwise. We haven’t won a close game this year.

And I do believe he or any other reasonable coach that inherited the uconn brand could have gotten us to the level to get embarrassed in the round of 64 as we did today. I don’t consider that “next level”.

I don’t know how much worse you could get it handed to you by a rival you hate. Turgeon literally outcoached him at every turn.

I think Donny Marshall was right about us. I think Jay Wright was right about us.
Did you think Jim Calhoun was inflammatory toward the refs? It’s an honest question. Also, you mentioned progress. Every year Hurley has been here has been better than the one before. It’s indisputable. The overall talent level on the roster has also gotten better each year. If the progress isn’t fast enough for you then maybe you need to lurk for another 18 months and come back later. Don’t listen to Hurleys podcasts either since those seem to bother you quite a bit. His antics are unreal

Reaction Score
I do think he was somewhat outcoached. He has a lot of pieces that he needs to keep everyone involved. I hope he can find a way

Reaction Score
Did you think Jim Calhoun was inflammatory toward the refs? It’s an honest question. Also, you mentioned progress. Every year Hurley has been here has been better than the one before. It’s indisputable. The overall talent level on the roster has also gotten better each year. If the progress isn’t fast enough for you then maybe you need to lurk for another 18 months and come back later. Don’t listen to Hurleys podcasts either since those seem to bother you quite a bit. His antics are unreal
Dude. The question asked was “next level” not progress. A question. Don’t take it so personally.

A lot of coaches would show progress after the debacle with Ollie.

Not sure if you see awesome offense and game planning. Unfortunately, it’s also what all of America saw on the largest stage. You are so happy with making the tourney it’s sad and must be a very young person. Bud, Uconn making

Turgeon had him with his COVID mask upside down.
Dude. The question asked was “next level” not progress. A question to people for their opinion. Don’t take it so personally.

Calhoun got what he wanted from refs. Hurley act is a total negative. Show me one game where we weren’t largely in the negative on fouls that we capitalized on. We didn’t win a close game all year so I’ll save you the time.

I also believe a lot of coaches would show progress after the debacle with Ollie.

Not sure if you see awesome offense and unreal game planning. I don’t. I see a high energy guy and solid recruiting on the back of our solid brand. He’s doing a good job there.

Unfortunately, from in on the court perspective, what I saw is also what all of America saw on the largest stage today. his players were not ready mentally or physically. His best player today was from ollies class that he wanted to bench at one point. “His” guys didn’t show up.

You are so happy with making the tourney. Thats not next level. That’s great! But you must be a very young person as we missed the tourney like 3 times from 95-2014. I’ll give you a participation trophy.

The fact is Turgeon had him with his COVID mask upside down. Hurley had a way more talented team today and couldn’t get them there. If you disagree then we’re worse than 9-11 in the big 10. Explain otherwise.

own up to something CT

Reaction Score
Dude. The question asked was “next level” not progress. A question. Don’t take it so personally.

Not sure if you see awesome offense and game planning. Unfortunately, it’s also what all of America saw on the largest stage. You are so happy with making the tourney it’s sad and must be a very young person. Bud, Uconn making

Dude. The question asked was “next level” not progress. A question to people for their opinion. Don’t take it so personally.

Calhoun got what he wanted from refs. Hurley act is a total negative. Show me one game where we weren’t largely in the negative on fouls that we capitalized on. We didn’t win a close game all year so I’ll save you the time.

I also believe a lot of coaches would show progress after the debacle with Ollie.

Not sure if you see awesome offense and unreal game planning. I don’t. I see a high energy guy and solid recruiting on the back of our solid brand. He’s doing a good job there.

Unfortunately, from in on the court perspective, what I saw is also what all of America saw on the largest stage today. his players were not ready mentally or physically. His best player today was from ollies class that he wanted to bench at one point. “His” guys didn’t show up.

You are so happy with making the tourney. Thats not next level. That’s great! But you must be a very young person as we missed the tourney like 3 times from 95-2014. I’ll give you a participation trophy.

The fact is Turgeon had him with his COVID mask upside down. Hurley had a way more talented team today and couldn’t get them there. If you disagree then we’re worse than 9-11 in the big 10. Explain otherwise.

own up to something CT
Dude... Vuce was posting here when you were in diapers. As we're a number of others responding to this ridiculous thread. And trust me, again there were chuckleheads here bitching about not making the tournament in 93, 97, 01, etc.

The point about interacting with the refs stands. Either you're for it or not. You don't get to decide based on your perception of how successful it is. Calhoun was notorious for antagonizing the refs. Hurley is definitely not worse in that respect, nor is there anything that suggests the refs treat us worse as a result

Reaction Score
Totally outcoached tonight. No FG in last 7 minutes...Are you kidding me? He had the deer in headlights look & didnt know how to change things up to get an easy basket or 2 down the stretch. Same pattern with him in close games against good teams over the years. Nothing has changed.
Your obsession with Hurley is a bit disturbing. The amount of energy you appear to put towards your disdain for this man is concerning. If Coach Hurley has done something to you personally, come clean with your Boneyard Family so some can potentially sympathize with you. Otherwise, I suggest you stop. It makes you clinical and makes our loyal fanbase look shallow and ignorant.

QuickDraw

Hi Ho SILVER
Reaction Score
Totally outcoached tonight. No FG in last 7 minutes...Are you kidding me? He had the deer in headlights look & didnt know how to change things up to get an easy basket or 2 down the stretch. Same pattern with him in close games against good teams over the years. Nothing has changed.
Hurley missed all those point blank layups & wide open 3's, no wonder we cant win a tough game.
We definitely were not watching the same game, this loss can't be pinned on the coaching staff, the players couldn't finish around the rim plain & simple. If they made half those bunnies we win easy.

Reaction Score

own up to something CT
If you’ve moved on to the Covid mask then I know you’ve gotten off the deep end. You truly don’t understand how far this program had fallen. In 2017-18 UConn was beaten by 20+ points EIGHT times....EIGHT! The last time that happened was likely in the mid 80s in JCs first season. In Hurleys first year is was 2 times and in the last two it hasn’t happened. And since you seem painfully unaware how all this works. You see in college hoops you can’t just erase your roster and then sign a bunch of free agents. It was a process and the process is working. Obviously it’s not working fast enough for you. Jay Wright didn’t even have Villanova in the ncaa tournament in his third year there. And speaking of perspective, I do not think you saw all of Calhoun’s tenure at UConn. You think he showed up here, yelled at the refs and instantly “got what he wanted”? Baaahahahahahaha. He had to earn the respect. You wouldn’t have made it through the first few years of JC had you really been around to watch. He would have triggered the heck out of you. There is real progress being made here, you simply can’t see it (or don’t want to see it) as each of the 3 years has been better than the previous one. You wanted them to go from getting consistently blown out by AAC teams to winning the National Championship, sorry it didn’t work out for you. Go back to antiquing for 18 months and come back later. It’s just getting fun again but you can’t enjoy it.

Reaction Score
If you’ve moved on to the Covid mask then I know you’ve gotten off the deep end. You truly don’t understand how far this program had fallen. In 2017-18 UConn was beaten by 20+ points EIGHT times....EIGHT! The last time that happened was likely in the mid 80s in JCs first season. In Hurleys first year is was 2 times and in the last two it hasn’t happened. And since you seem painfully unaware how all this works. You see in college hoops you can’t just erase your roster and then sign a bunch of free agents. It was a process and the process is working. Obviously it’s not working fast enough for you. Jay Wright didn’t even have Villanova in the ncaa tournament in his third year there. And speaking of perspective, I do not think you saw all of Calhoun’s tenure at UConn. You think he showed up here, yelled at the refs and instantly “got what he wanted”? Baaahahahahahaha. He had to earn the respect. You wouldn’t have made it through the first few years of JC had you really been around to watch. He would have triggered the heck out of you. There is real progress being made here, you simply can’t see it (or don’t want to see it) as each of the 3 years has been better than the previous one. You wanted them to go from getting consistently blown out by AAC teams to winning the National Championship, sorry it didn’t work out for you. Go back to antiquing for 18 months and come back later. It’s just getting fun again but you can’t enjoy it.
And like I’ve mentioned in an earlier post, Hurley still has some of those players in his roster from that team getting blown out by 20+. Carlton, Whaley, Polley. Hurley did what he could with those players, but they’re not his players. Hurley is doing a great job. We’ll be fine.

Reaction Score
Once the KO recruits are out of there and he can get his recruits in there. I think we will see a different Danny. I know Danny is going to be that mean SOB that refs hate but recruits love. Just wait.

Stop the nonsense. Ollie's recruits aren't the reason we lost. In fact, one can argue Whaley and Polley were two of our better players last night. Whaley was Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Polley Big East Sixth Man of the Year.

We did not lose because of a lack of a talent. We were completely unprepared. No one was a bigger Ollie critic than me, but this is a weak mentality when his recruits are actually 2 of the better players on the team.

PS: I do not want to hear from Hurley next year that we are in Year 4 of a rebuild.

Reaction Score
Stop the nonsense. Ollie's recruits aren't the reason we lost. In fact, one can argue Whaley and Polley were two of our better players last night. Whaley was Big East Defensive Player of the Year. Polley Big East Sixth Man of the Year.

We did not lose because of a lack of a talent. We were completely unprepared. No one was a bigger Ollie critic than me, but this is a weak mentality when his recruits are actually 2 of the better players on the team.

PS: I do not want to hear from Hurley next year that we are in Year 4 of a rebuild.
Yes...the rebuild of 2018 "catastrophe" he inherited talk needs to end. The program was in bad shape but it's all you now DH.

The life of that post game go-to refrain has expired. Good things ahead I think so time to move on from that talk.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Assuming there are no significant injuries or unexpected attrition the 2023 team should be very good. Like Final Four contender good.

But I think the 'Yard needs some perspective. It took Calhoun 13 years to make a Final Four. It is really hard to win in March. Right now, Hurley is 2-3. Give him time.

Reaction Score
Basically, Hurley should not use any of the excuses used by Edsall to explain the football team's worse than weak performance.

Reaction Score
I never really posted here much. I have a reasonably busy life. Not sure where the 18 month thing came in like I went away or something. I do lurk and enjoy.

Either way - it is his in-game coaching including how refs respond to him, bizarre 3-year rebuild messaging, and complaining around fans critiquing him as a problem.

it’s ok to talk that talk about the rebuilding but it was time to pay the piper today or any other big game this year and his teams continuously folded like a cheap tent.

By the way, Ollies guys played well and his guys had no mental or physical toughness against a team that went 9-11 in league play. Will be interesting how he spins it in Andreas next big podcast.
You should go back to just lurking and not posting

TJT

Reaction Score
Is it true that Hurley had never lost in the first round of the tournament before?

Reaction Score
Hurley is good at recruiting talent. His advantage is BE. Talent overcomes most everything, we just need more of it but we’re on the right track. Hurley has to recognize his coaching mistakes and fix them too.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom