Hurley vs. fans | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
It's pretty ridiculous to call DH childish for yelling back at someone who screams "**** you, Hurley, you suck." Would you ignore it?

Cut the man some slack.
I couldn’t agree more.

Reaction Score
Overall I like Hurley. But at some point, maybe not now, it fair to criticize some elements of his tenor:
1) 3rd place in Big East currently. Not terrible but they were projected at #2 preseason and they have the most challenging part of their conference schedule upcoming playing possibly at the worst they have all season.
2) The past two games our best player has been Whalley, a player from a prior coach never recruited by Hurley
3) Out of all the players Hurley has recruited or brought in through transfer, you can only make a strong case for two players (Sanogo/Bouknight) so far that have seen significant, tangible positive development.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Swap Martin for Cole and I'd agree with this. RJ is a pretty reliable scorer. He looked a step slow last night, everything was short or overcompensating. It is a huge problem for this team that he has to do as much as he does, night in and night out, for this team to win. It's not realistic to have him check the other team's point guard, run the offense, and be the release valve when they have nothing going, for an entire game. The fact that neither Gaffney nor Diggins can alleviate Cole's burden is a huge problem for this team going forward.

But Martin is the guy who just throws stuff at the rim and hopes its goes in. On nights when his shots are falling it's great and everyone gets excited and Hurley says he's going to play in the NBA but it is not something that can be relied on at all, and when he has nights like last night it's a killer.

I was commenting specifically on Marquette game #1, but on the season? you are 100% correct. RJ has given us everything on both ends. He's forced into this stuff. I was stating that its not a long term winning offensive option. Martin? I just don't get it. I initially loved his perceived toughness but (and Im going into netherworld controversy here just from game attendance) Im not sure he is as tough a matchup mentally as he is physically.

I'll let you in on my mind think. I would like Polley (or Hawkins preferably, but he just isn't ready) to start instead of .............someone? ............... just for floor balance and not being hampered offensively to start games. But when I really think about it, who are you going to pull for this? Whaley? nope. He's too important to defensive cohesion, AJ? nope he's too important as an RJ pressure release and guards pretty well. Martin? He would be the guy who could play the same minutes off the bench than he does as a starter but his floor countenance(again to me, it's just my read, I could be totally wrong) makes me think that he would be the least out of the 3 willing to accept it. Hard to get a read on this kid. He carries himself in a different way on the floor. This roster handcuffs Hurley a bit.

Reaction Score
What we worried about all season with Cole finally happened last night. Not sure there's another player in the country who has had the burden placed on him that coach has placed on Cole. He's expected to be our dribbler, scorer, passer, creator, big shot maker, ball pressurer every single game and it finally caught up with him last night. He was spent mentally and physically that entire game.

Are there college teams that let guys skip practice so they're fresh for games? Because that seems like the most realistic option for Cole between now and Saturday.

Reaction Score
What we worried about all season with Cole finally happened last night. Not sure there's another player in the country who has had the burden placed on him that coach has placed on Cole. He's expected to be our dribbler, scorer, passer, creator, big shot maker, ball pressurer every single game and it finally caught up with him last night. He was spent mentally and physically that entire game.
Yeah, and to make matters worse when games get tight Hurley’s bench becomes non-existent. We weren’t getting much of anything out of Martin, Polley or Ajax last night….would’ve been nice to get Akok and Hawkins some more minutes if just to change up the look for a bit. We literally had everyone except Whaley have an off night and obviously that can’t happen

Reaction Score
Are there college teams that let guys skip practice so they're fresh for games? Because that seems like the most realistic option for Cole between now and Saturday.

Yes, all the time. And we're definitely already doing that. With 3 days between games, the starters might be playing live once. Lots of shooting drills and recovery work during this stretch of the season.

Diggins, Springs, Akok, Gaffney, Hawkins and co. are probably still doing drills live in practice.

Reaction Score
Great points. He expends so much effort/energy at the defensive end- frequently against the opposing team's best guard- There's not a lot of gas left in the tank at the end of games. Managing his minutes without penalizing the team's performance with his replacements is one of DH's biggest coaching challenges. He also has to do all of the offensive-oriented stuff mentioned above and stay out of foul trouble.

Opposing coaches are very cognizant of that and aren't above telling their guards to sell fouls to the refs to get him in foul trouble. Nembhard did last nite and Gillespie is a master at that as well

Reaction Score
Society as a whole has become saturated with b*****s. Everyone complaining about a loss or how a coach reacted needs to put their big boy pants and realize this is only a game. Does it affect tour life that much, can you not function after a loss? If so you need mental help. Yes we would love it if they won every game but in reality it’s not going to happen. Our fans yelling at our coach who works his ass off to be better, deserve a comment back. Get off your high horses people.

August_West

Reaction Score
Great points. He expends so much effort/energy at the defensive end- frequently against the opposing team's best guard- There's not a lot of gas left in the tank at the end of games. Managing his minutes without penalizing the team's performance with his replacements is one of DH's biggest coaching challenges. He also has to do all of the offensive-oriented stuff mentioned above and stay out of foul trouble.

Opposing coaches are very cognizant of that and aren't above telling their guards to sell fouls to the refs to get him in foul trouble. Nembhard did last nite and Gillespie is a master at that as well

Nembhard pulled the old Kemba/Bazz "throw your head back to sell it" move last night (in the backcourt no less!) which according to the rulebook this year is a flop warning/subsequent technical. He got the call straight up.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Almost as bad as the OllieWhinyFace. Cartoony.
I don’t know, kevin just looked whiny, Hurley looks like a toddler. It’s the weirdest thing. That said, I fully accept it, just like I acceptex Calhoun blasting reporters if they ask him dumb questions after a loss.

Reaction Score
Hurley has issues. Just watch his press conferences if you can stomach them. His mumbling, monotone presentation is weak. He looks totally dejected. There is no confidence or bravado. I hope he's a great coach but he doesn't come across like one.

August_West

Reaction Score
This crew should probably skip the "micro" and go straight to the real thing.

I mean Dan smudges the place with Sage, we are halfway there, right?
maybe we should offer the A. dept. that option next time they come for a 300k upgrade to a hallway at werth (isnt it brand new?!)

Reaction Score
I don't know...has any light been shed on why they had a two hour shootaround before the game?

Reaction Score
Hurley has issues. Just watch his press conferences if you can stomach them. His mumbling, monotone presentation is weak. He looks totally dejected. There is no confidence or bravado. I hope he's a great coach but he doesn't come across like one.

It's a post-game press conference after they just lost and didn't play well. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Hurley but this is silly.

Reaction Score
He gets paid $2mill plus - this is not a program where one is brought in to mature. Maybe he needed a few more years at URI

While I do not support folks for publicly saying "Bleep you", it was apparent that some people were not happy with his coaching. It comes with the territory. Yeah he thinks he's a tough guy but its not really a good thing to be playing to your audience. Obviously he does care what people think of him.
He needs to get past this and concentrate on his in game coaching, rotations etc
I still feel it would be to his benefit to hire a mentor.
A really bad night for all involved - except IW
All the talk about the spread, maybe the guy bet bet on the wrong team ;-p

Reaction Score
It's a post-game press conference after they just lost and didn't play well. There are plenty of legitimate criticisms of Hurley but this is silly.
Silly that a coach looks dejected. One can be disappointed but still exude confidence. Granted he is no JC but Dan has to do better.

Reaction Score
I mean Dan smudges the place with Sage, we are halfway there, right?
maybe we should offer the A. dept. that option next time they come for a 300k upgrade to a hallway at werth (isnt it brand new?!)
Maybe he could try one game without the sage?

11 Benefits of Burning Sage​

1. It may be purifying - didn't work too many got covid anyway
2. It may help relieve the symptoms of some conditions - don't know who has allergies or asthma
3. It can be a spiritual tool - connection to spiritual world or enhance intuition - not sure this is happening
4. It may help dispel negative energy - ???
5. It can cleanse or empower specific objects - try using it on the ball or hoop
6. It may help improve your mood - doesn't seem to be working
7. It may help soothe stress - again no evidence
8. It may improve the quality of your sleep -???
9. It may help boost cognition -???
10. It may help boost your energy levels - didn't seem to work last night
11. It can create an uplifting fragrance - wonder how long that lasts

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members