Hurley vs. fans | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. fans

Status
Not open for further replies.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Yikes. This is scary.

It’s been well documented that this team has many mental boogeymen. That’s part of the reason they can’t close out close games.

Coach needs to take a good hard look in the mirror because he sets the tone of this team.

Can’t behave like this, period. Home or road, negative engagement with fans is never acceptable for a coach. Not even in 1st grade rec basketball.

Hurleys passion is part of what makes him special (in a good way). But he needs to learn how to master his emotions if he wants to become a great coach.

"But he needs to learn how to master his emotions if he wants to become a great coach".

There is a time for emotion and a time to think and shut up. It is a poor reflection on him as a coach that he is being hyper defensive about fan comments like these. It's beneath the dignity of the coach to lower himself to yelling back at fans. That will only invite more of the same. Hope he gets some help and learns how to deal with this.

BTW, reminds me in a round about way to something I learned just recently. When Don Rickles was doing night club standup comedy early in his career he was not doing the insult the audience thing.
Well a couple of guys were really baiting him him with insulting remarks so he started giving it back to them. Well those guys thought his come back remarks were so funny that they kept coming back with many friends for more and so this was how the legendary Rickles created his schtick!

Well DH isn't doing standup and he had best move on from this. Sticks and stones may break my bones.............................................

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I mean sure we have looked ok at times vs teams we are significantly better than, but every team that is comparable talent wise we have struggled against. There was reason to be optimistic when some of the losses were without key players, but now that we are healthy and still seeing the same exact issues closing against the better teams you would be ignorant not to be somewhat concerned.
Except that's not true. We looked great against Auburn, we looked pretty good against Seton Hall until the last few possessions, we looked great against Marquette. I'm not saying that closing isn't concerning but there's a wide gap between that and saying we're about to implode and the season is over

Reaction Score
We should win those next at least 3 of those next 4. Making us 5-2 in that stretch. Simple math
Double check your math bud... you are all over the place. There are only 2 games in the stretch that aren't against the 3 teams you listed, which would make it pretty hard to win 3 more games.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
Imagine thinking the season is over because we lost a Big East conference game against Creighton after winning 5 in a row. Nova lost by 20 to Creighton and to Marquette at home. Providence lost to Marquette by 32. This conference is a gauntlet and losses happen, even to the top teams. Get a grip people.

Reaction Score
The 1-8 stat over the last 2 years has been making the rounds. I remember having this conversation a couple years ago so I went back and did the math. Someone can check me on this, but in Hurley's tenure here we are 5-20 in 4 point games or less. Overtime I didn't know how to calculate into this but they were basically a wash.

This type of "come at me bro" reaction is the way a fan would react, pure emotion, and he coaches that way. He gets lost in the game. He misses opportunities for timeouts, subs, defensive switches, etc. And the end of the game nerves are palpable throughout the team and the arena. Other teams can sense it and come at us.

This mentality needs to change.
You would think just by sheer luck you win more than 5 of those. This is a big big issue. I trust that Hurley can figure it out and certainly recruiting better players will help, but...yikes

Reaction Score
What an absolute embarrassment for the program. He is a child. This is hardly the first time that it has been written about that he has gotten into it with fans. In fact, I think this is the third time this season alone. Imagine wanting and trying to sell your team and yourself as a top coach and a top program. What other coaches behave this way....with your own fans?

This is Ollie behavior.

SwingDog

"THIS is the life you have"
Reaction Score
Some of the greatest coaches across all sports, college basketball included, have had character flaws- regardless of their salaries. This is not to excuse Hurley's behavior, because I do agree that he needs to be above reacting to hecklers. I love his fire, passion, and Jersey kid toughness, but he needs to work on on that. By all accounts, particularly from his wife, he is tough to be around after a loss. Let's face it: most of us, after experiencing what he did last night with that ugly, painful, on-floor performance, combined with the frustration of fans, and failure to even come close to expectations, would probably be pretty vulnerable. To be honest, though I loved the way Jim Calhoun was able to get the most out of his players, and was able to achieve incredible things, I never much cared for his personality, especially his language. For the sake of success it was excused, but the Bob Knights and Jim Calhouns of the world aren't tolerated like they once were. I agree with those saying they Hurley will mature and mellow over time.

Reaction Score
Except that's not true. We looked great against Auburn, we looked pretty good against Seton Hall until the last few possessions, we looked great against Marquette
Auburn seems to be an outlier at this point. We did look awesome for most of the game, but we still didn't close and if we played them again right now I'm fairly certain there would be a different result.

Seton Hall has been BAD, so I'm not sure how a loss to them would help your cause.

Marquette is a fine win, but they didn't have Morsell and it took one of Tyrese's miracle games that happen about once a month.

Psolo12

Future Doctor of Law
Reaction Score
This was a prototypical look ahead game. Won 5 in a row with Villanova on the horizon and overlook a game against Creighton at home we should win. Happens to the best teams. Happened to us. No need to say the sky is falling.

Reaction Score
This was a prototypical look ahead game. Won 5 in a row with Villanova on the horizon and overlook a game against Creighton at home we should win. Happens to the best teams. Happened to us. No need to say the sky is falling.
You would think after the poor performance on Saturday they would be determined to get back on track yesterday rather than worrying about Nova.

Reaction Score
Auburn seems to be an outlier at this point. We did look awesome for most of the game, but we still didn't close and if we played them again right now I'm fairly certain there would be a different result.

Seton Hall has been BAD, so I'm not sure how a loss to them would help your cause.

Marquette is a fine win, but they didn't have Morsell and it took one of Tyrese's miracle games that happen about once a month.
You can explain away all the good performances as outliers but that doesn't make you right. But I'm not gonna waste my time with you after that Marquette comment, it's clear you're not going to engage in an unbiased discussion and have your mind made up

Reaction Score
All you have to do is follow three simple rules.

One: Never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected.

Two: Take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it’s absolutely necessary.

And Three: Be nice.

If somebody gets in your face and calls you a _____, I want you to be nice.

Ask him to walk, be nice.

If he won’t walk, walk him. But be nice.

If you can’t walk him, one of the others will help you. And you’ll both be nice.

I want you to remember that it’s a job. It’s nothing personal.

Reaction Score
The fan(s) should be ashamed of their behavior. I may disagree with this in-game style but he is our coach. That’s not cool. Also, DH has to ignore those idiots. Thank goodness he is not registered here. A leader would look at what happened and think about what could I have done differently. I doubt he will and that may be one of his downsides. But fans also pay money for this program and last night was a huge disaster. He does not seem capable of making in-game changes of almost any kind, I think its more that he refues to change.

He is going to get a rep of not playing his freshman. If Hawk is a lottery pick, you need to let him play through, just like he lets AJ play through. Also, the freshmen should have been playing in blowout games early in the season. That was a missed opportunity to get them time.

Reaction Score
All you have to do is follow three simple rules.

One: Never underestimate your opponent. Expect the unexpected.

Two: Take it outside. Never start anything inside the bar unless it’s absolutely necessary.

And Three: Be nice.

If somebody gets in your face and calls you a _____, I want you to be nice.

Ask him to walk, be nice.

If he won’t walk, walk him. But be nice.

If you can’t walk him, one of the others will help you. And you’ll both be nice.

I want you to remember that it’s a job. It’s nothing personal.
And have Wade Garrett by your side.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Hurley's whole zen yoga-man thing is a load of crap. He's a neurotic lunatic. Makes for a hell of a basketball coach most of the time.
Disagree with the use of the word neurotic, but otherwise spot on. You made a post earlier talking about, in essence, that players are not machines and they each have their strengths and weaknesses. I think you can say the same thing about Dan Hurley. He is an absolute nutcase with the sage burning stuff or whatever, but he’s also a high energy passionate guy who has lifted this program from a slow decline into irrelevancy into a team that is, normally, a lot of fun to watch. He is an incredibly passionate coach and, usually, that energy transfers to the players.

You have to accept the good with the bad and the bad is he’s wrapped a little too tight. Personally, I hate it when he goes full Mick Cronin and shows that toddler pouty face. But you have to accept the good with the bad and I’d much rather have a coach who is too passionate than a Randy Edsall who is phoning it in.

Reaction Score
Double check your math bud... you are all over the place. There are only 2 games in the stretch that aren't against the 3 teams you listed, which would make it pretty hard to win 3 more games.
Oh my sweet baby Jesus. The 2/3 is for that 3 game stretch. After thatv3 game stretch, I think we’ll win 3/4 of SH/SJ/Nova/Xavier. My math is perfectly fine

Reaction Score
Oh my sweet baby Jesus. The 2/3 is for that 3 game stretch. After thatv3 game stretch, I think we’ll win 3/4 of SH/SJ/Nova/Xavier. My math is perfectly fine
You said 2 wins against Xavier, Marquette, and Nova I thought you meant in total not just the home games. My fault

CL82

Reaction Score
Yea I don’t know why there is even a debate on this. Imagine Jay Wright inviting a fan onto the court for a confrontation.
But did he do that? He just gestured for him to come down and discuss their concerns like reasonable people instead of shouting across an arena.

CL82

Reaction Score
We're all necrotic lunatics.
I hope not, though, I suppose, it does support the argument that the fanbase is dying.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Except that's not true. We looked great against Auburn, we looked pretty good against Seton Hall until the last few possessions, we looked great against Marquette. I'm not saying that closing isn't concerning but there's a wide gap between that and saying we're about to implode and the season is over

The Marquette game was a strong road win for the resume. Marquette wasn't yet the team they are now, but that's not our fault or our problem; you win the games in front of you. But I don't remember looking particularly great. What I remember distinctly about that Marquette game was RJ making insane circus shot after circus shot and winning the game for us. I also remember thinking and then posting the next day that it was cool but absolutely not a sustainable model for our offense. And it's not. If we are going to be relying on that, then over time you will get a ton more of last nights results rather than the Marquette ones. RJ was great against depaul, but taking good shots. RJ played last night like the Marquette game with only difference being those bad shot prayers didn't go in.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom