Hurley vs. fans | The Boneyard

Hurley vs. fans

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Apparently got into it with some UConn fans after the game last night. To be honest, Hurley’s just gotta let this stuff slide…personally think it’s a bad look. Has happened with fans of other teams and now UConn fans:

The horn had put an end to the UConn men’s basketball team’s ugliest performance of the season Tuesday night, a 59-55 loss to Creighton, and some fans in the upper bowl of an emptying XL Center loudly articulated their feelings as coach Dan Hurley headed to toward the tunnel.

So Hurley stopped. He engaged. He became animated. Hurley waved for the fans to come toward him. At least one fan made the same gesture.

“A couple of fans were yelling ‘[Bleep] you, Hurley, you suck,” said Hurley, who headed to the locker room after a heated exchange of about 10 seconds. “So I yelled back at them. If you’re going to yell at me, and you’re 100 feet away, behind layers of people — that’s some coward [stuff]. But I understand. It’s part of the deal. But I’ll say, too, that you may hear something back from me. I won’t just walk away.”

Reaction Score
Apparently got into it with some UConn fans after the game last night. To be honest, Hurley’s just gotta let this stuff slide…personally think it’s a bad look. Has happened with fans of other teams and now UConn fans:

The horn had put an end to the UConn men’s basketball team’s ugliest performance of the season Tuesday night, a 59-55 loss to Creighton, and some fans in the upper bowl of an emptying XL Center loudly articulated their feelings as coach Dan Hurley headed to toward the tunnel.

So Hurley stopped. He engaged. He became animated. Hurley waved for the fans to come toward him. At least one fan made the same gesture.

“A couple of fans were yelling ‘[Bleep] you, Hurley, you suck,” said Hurley, who headed to the locker room after a heated exchange of about 10 seconds. “So I yelled back at them. If you’re going to yell at me, and you’re 100 feet away, behind layers of people — that’s some coward [stuff]. But I understand. It’s part of the deal. But I’ll say, too, that you may hear something back from me. I won’t just walk away.”

He engages with fans way more than he should. He needs to block out the dissenters and worry about coaching his team.

Reaction Score
Jesus what a disaster. The entire team and coaching staff need to figure a lot of stuff out. Winning cures all, and unfortunately it seems like after being 1-8 in games decided by less than 4 points in the last 2 years, people are starting to lose patience.

Reaction Score
Jesus what a disaster. The entire team and coaching staff need to figure a lot of stuff out. Winning cures all, and unfortunately it seems like after being 1-8 in games decided by less than 4 points in the last 2 years, people are starting to lose patience.

Anyone without high expectations or not frustrated has their head in the sand. The coach is SUPPOSED to be the guys that stupid drunk fans scream at. He gets paid a huge salary, and part of his role is to be the buffer to insulate these kids from some fan ridiculousness when possible.

I mean, shoot, I got screamed at as a small-time high school coach every game. It's just a part of the job.

I really hate when people blame the players. It's not RJ's fault he chokes on important FTs sometimes, or that AJ doesn't have the ability to finish at the rim. These guys are working hard and doing everything they can for the program. If they have skill deficiencies, it can't be helped at this point.They're still better at basketball than 99.9999% of the planet.

Reaction Score
If it was a UConn “fan” yelling that at Hurley, you have to admit, that is really sad and weak. This is a 15-5 team that was coming into the Creighton game on a 5 game win streak. Probably the best record UConn has had through the first 20 games of a season since 2014. I agree that DH needs to tune that stuff out, but as a fanbase, a lot of times we are our own worst enemy.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yikes. This is scary.

It’s been well documented that this team has many mental boogeymen. That’s part of the reason they can’t close out close games.

Coach needs to take a good hard look in the mirror because he sets the tone of this team.

Can’t behave like this, period. Home or road, negative engagement with fans is never acceptable for a coach. Not even in 1st grade rec basketball.

Hurleys passion is part of what makes him special (in a good way). But he needs to learn how to master his emotions if he wants to become a great coach.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
As Hurley matures into a high major job he will likely mellow.
He gets paid $2mill plus - this is not a program where one is brought in to mature. Maybe he needed a few more years at URI

While I do not support folks for publicly saying "Bleep you", it was apparent that some people were not happy with his coaching. It comes with the territory. Yeah he thinks he's a tough guy but its not really a good thing to be playing to your audience. Obviously he does care what people think of him.
He needs to get past this and concentrate on his in game coaching, rotations etc
I still feel it would be to his benefit to hire a mentor.
A really bad night for all involved - except IW

Reaction Score
He needs to learn to let this stuff go. He's clearly the right coach for this program but this isn't gonna help his case with the people who want him gone
He's probably the right guy but if he doesn't work on his end of game coaching he won't be. This is just another symptom of the issues we currently face. He's too emotional. He gets in his own head and players heads when he does ridiculous things like burn sage around the arena. He's psyching himself and the team out.

polycom

I heard a beep, who just joined?
Reaction Score
He gets paid $2mill plus - this is not a program where one is brought in to mature. Maybe he needed a few more years at URI

While I do not support folks for publicly saying "Bleep you", it was apparent that some people were not happy with his coaching. It comes with the territory. Yeah he thinks he's a tough guy but its not really a good thing to be playing to your audience. Obviously he does care what people think of him.
He needs to get past this and concentrate on his in game coaching, rotations etc
I still feel it would be to his benefit to hire a mentor.
A really bad night for all involved - except IW

If you think that someone that early in their career doesn't have a lot of maturing to do idk what to tell you. He has never coached at this level before the pressure is completely different the expectations are completely different. He acted like a child he is going to learn that he just can't act that way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom