Hurley Postgame | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Haha WELCOME BACK!!! Where ya been the last month ya Hurley hater?! Still giving us nothing of substance I see…

Laurence Fishburne Pop GIF by ABC Network
20 seconds of listening to this voice is all you need to know that what he lacks in substance he glosses over with volume and defensiveness

Reaction Score
I'm thinking he chose his words poorly and was trying to say that preparing for a team like Marquette is difficult because it is "so hard to defend"

referring to giving up 12 3's - "the half a day prep that you get to play an offense like that...that hurt us with our man defense."
Then he says the zones stabilized them.

I didn't get to see the game but does he address why Clingan only played 10 minutes, with 1 foul?
We do not defend the 3 point shooters, we give them too much room and don't even put our hands up to defend. And true were the hell was Clingan. Hurley relies too much on players turning the ball over too much.

Reaction Score
Hard disagree. In year 5 you don’t have what you are going to get. He spent some years putting out fires, developing guys, earning a reputation, developing a culture. So though his year two recruits were his guys, he hadn’t yet established a track record so he couldn’t attract the best possible recruits. This year‘s recruiting class and next year’s recruiting class are downright nasty, I think he’s going to do pretty well with them. The uptick in recruiting seems to correspond with year-to-year improvement. Let that compound for a few more years, I’m optimistic.

So much negativity. I wish someone could legally set up an exchange with one simple bet … “will UConn make the S16?”. All those who say we are going nowhere should put their $ where their mouths are and have to bet no … not just vent their negativity. Instead of posting the same stuff again and again, people can put more and more money on their side of that bet. Me, I’d lay even money that UConn will play in the Sweet 16 this year.

And Hurley’s quote, who cares? If Hurley said all of the right things, was 3 inches taller, and super smooth and handsome, he’d probably be somewhere else. He’s one of the few guys I suspect can do really well and have no intention of leaving Connecticut.
You sound like an Edsal fan !

Reaction Score
20 seconds of listening to this voice is all you need to know that what he lacks in substance he glosses over with volume and defensiveness
? Not sure what/who you’re talking about but I was referring to uconnnikki who is only seen on here bashing Hurley…amongst many others who only come out after a loss…

Reaction Score
I don't like the quote. Sounds like an excuse. I guess Marquette had two more hours to prepare and that's why they won. What I dislike more is Hurley starting the game with AJax on Kolek. AJax is an awesome off ball defender. He creates chaos and gets steals and deflections. But in man to man, especially against crafty point guards who can create their own shot, he will get in foul trouble. Hurley should have started Newton on Kolek and then had Alleyne and Diarra follow up. I like putting Jackson on a shooter not a penetrator.

Did you not watch the game the last time we played them? AJax held him to like one shot.

You both make good points. Starting the game with AJax on Koler makes perfect since AJax did do a great job against him in the home game on February 7th. The thing is, the way THIS game played out in the first half, it makes sense that Hurley and staff would decide to put someone else on Kolek to start the 2nd half to try and keep AJax from picking up a quick 3rd foul.

This is where the 2nd part of the move makes no sense and I disagree with part of your point QDOG5 - not only has Newton proven to be a poor defender in multiple games this year against guards who are good at driving the ball, but he already proved he could not handle guarding Kolek in our first game against them in Marquette.

So here is where our coaching decisions are really infuriating. Why stick with the mantra "our 1st half starters have to also start the 2nd half!" This mentality hurt us during our 2-6 stretch where teams took advantage of us time and time again to start the 2nd half. Same thing last night. Want to switch AJax off of Kolek to start the 2nd half? Makes sense. But why not put Alleyne on him right away there... a much better defender than Newton... and he played better in the first half than Newton anyway. Being so inflexible AGAIN put us into a hole literally right out of the gate in the 2nd half and we were forced to play catch up the rest of the game.

Sorry, but that kind of inflexibility and inability to adapt to what is actually going on in the game is poor coaching. Yes, going to the zone down 10 was a nice adaptation (although Marquette did miss 3 open 3's in a row because of it) but why the inflexibility on having to start Newton in the 2nd half AND put him on Kolek when we already know he couldn't stop him??? Marquette scored 15 points in the first 4 1/2 minutes of the 2nd half, by the way... And the initial move with switching AJax to Newton was a big part of the reason. Just plain stupid.

1999GoodSon

Lies, damn lies, and statistics.
Reaction Score
What is this?

I don't care what he says anymore. What's killing me is what he doesn't say. Like down 2, with 9.7 seconds left - he doesn't say TIMEOUT!
Who in their right mind doesn't call a TO right there?

Reaction Score

1999GoodSon

Reaction Score
Reaction Score
Delusional!

You all were the same people tearing JC up for not having a true offense etc. The difference was and is JC didn’t give a rats ass what you nor the media thought. Examine every decision? Did the CEO of your company act as introspective as you suggest and hang out with his or her predecessor?
Don’t you miss the days when Calhoun was our coach, who never misused or overlooked players, always ran the clock at the end of games to perfection, never got T’d up for throwing temper tantrums on the court, and was beloved and respected by the media and all the other fans in the country because of his knack for clearly and eloquently saying all the right things? Isn’t revisionist history great?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
What is this?

"What is this?," huh?

That you've posed the question leads me to respond, "It depends..."

Considered at face value and on its plain language, it struck me as a cringeably bad quote from a guy who isn't known as a good speaker during interviews.

It appears as though others regarded it somewhat similarly...
That is about as bad of a quote as you'll find.
I'm thinking he chose his words poorly...
I'm not as much of a Hurley hater as a lot of folks around here but a quote like that's a bad look.
Hurley often has foot in mouth disease. He's a hyper guy and needs to pause for a second and think before speaking.
That’s a mind boggling quote
I don't like the quote.
Not a good answer at all :(
Dan is an awkward guy in front of the press. He says dumb things all the time.
I saw that quote last night and didn't think it was appropriate either. Pretty lame.
I liken Hurley to a fine cheese that hasn’t aged enough.
I was floored when I heard that last night.

For you, I'd regard it as a triple blessing: a bailout after all of your stupid comments last night; a dream come true gaffe that you could exploit; and a rallying cry for those who want to keep complaining about last night's game and/or a coach they dislike.

How cheeky of you to ask, so casually, "What is this?"

Terrible in support of the team's upcoming success, but otherwise well-done in re-igniting the bad energy of last night's post-game thread while continuing your bid to become the alpha negative cheerleader.

Note to @freescooter: Behold one of the guys lapping you. You are more long past expiration date than Jimmy B. The flame you hold high is a Bic disposable that you have to turn upside down, shake a few times, and flick more than a few times to briefly catch anything more than a spark. He doesn't get so overexcited when he thinks he's got a winner that he leaves out a key word or gets tripped up by autocorrect. Nor does he need to launder his creamed shorts.

Reaction Score
So 3 years ago some guy wrote an article about another coach's use of timeouts. Under Saturdays circumstances you call a timeout. 9.7 seconds, down 2, a trip to BE championship, you bring the guys in the guys and draw up a play.
What makes Saturday's conditions unique?

Roy Williams, one of the greatest coaches of all time with 3 titles and 900 wins, was famous for often not calling timeouts in this scenario because it doesn't let the defense plan for a way to disrupt you or setup a junk defense/trap and maximizes your remaining time left. In general, teams score much more efficiently in free flowing offense than off an opponent make or dead ball. Late game is a little different because usually the opponent is locked in. But teams should practice these situations often, so there should be some sort of play ready to go and you don't need to call a timeout.

The article shows that for Roy, the points per possession are basically identical either way, because usually in both scenarios it comes down to a guy making a contested shot or not.

Reaction Score
Don’t you miss the days when Calhoun was our coach, who never misused or overlooked players, always ran the clock at the end of games to perfection, never got T’d up for throwing temper tantrums on the court, and was beloved and respected by the media and all the other fans in the country because of his knack for clearly and eloquently saying all the right things? Isn’t revisionist history great?
I miss the days of winning Big East regular seasons, winning Big East tournaments, and winning NCAA tournament games. I'm sure most of us miss that, it would be nice to get back to doing those things.

1999GoodSon

Reaction Score
Right. So you think they are gonna be loose this week playing a 14 seed???
Especially if that #14 is Colgate. All they have is the top 3 point shooting team in the country. Complete trap game for us.

Reaction Score
I miss the days of winning Big East regular seasons, winning Big East tournaments, and winning NCAA tournament games. I'm sure most of us miss that, it would be nice to get back to doing those things.
We’re getting there. We were a total laughingstock when he took over. Probably in the 150-200 range. Now we’re top 15 in his 5th season. That’s incredible growth, no?

Reaction Score
Same. We UConn fans have had some glory days, and I for one believe we are on the verge of getting back there.

Hurley deserves plenty of criticism. Fair game. I just find it ironic - the amount of bandwidth spent here on warts and weaknesses that Jim Calhoun also had.

Reaction Score
Same. We UConn fans have had some glory days, and I for one believe we are on the verge of getting back there.

Hurley deserves plenty of criticism. Fair game. I just find it ironic - the amount of bandwidth spent here on warts and weaknesses that Jim Calhoun also had.
We're right there. We just have to make it through next weekend, need to get the monkey off the back.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Compare and contrast Hurley Post vs Smart’s Post Game to learn what happened. Another disappointing loss where a winnable game was lost to a better coach. Look at Shaka’s comment to learn and grow.

Some key points

• Putting Prosper on Hawkins was the key. We can not win if Hawkins hits 5 3’s
  • Defensive stops. Emphasized defensive stops. His ability to get heightneed and prolonged defensive intensity is amazing IMHO.” All about the defense “
  • coming into the game bothered by We own the Garden” quote as a #1 seed coming. Used it to get his players up and defiant. They did By shutting down the guards..Hawkins,Newton.

But irregardless of all this a 2 point win would not have happened , Joplin hadn’t had a career night, Ben Gordon incarnate. 17 points, 4-5 from the 3.
Joplin has not had a double digit scoring game since January 28TH!!!!

Look at Shaka’s post game. Revelations you did not get from Harley’s BS

Shaka highlighting what I’ve been saying. He changed things for us. We weren’t ready for this version of Marquette.
  • Prosper is a guy who focuses on offense, he sacrificed it totally to shut down Hawkins
  • The whole team is an offensive juggernaut that can be lazy on D, he shifted their focus.
  • Dan’s dumb bulletin board material probably helped them keep their intensity beyond what Hurley expected was possible.

Reaction Score
We're right there. We just have to make it through next weekend, need to get the monkey off the back.
I think that’s why everyone is so anxious. It’s so close we can smell it. And we have the horses to do it

Reaction Score
What’d he say about Hawkins? I am genuinely unaware

Same

Only thing I can think of is around 2 weeks ago he said something about giving Hawkins minutes early in the season because they didn't want him to transfer and by the end of the season he was earning his 20 minutes a game

Reaction Score
Shaka highlighting what I’ve been saying. He changed things for us. We weren’t ready for this version of Marquette.
  • Prosper is a guy who focuses on offense, he sacrificed it totally to shut down Hawkins
  • The whole team is an offensive juggernaut that can be lazy on D, he shifted their focus.
  • Dan’s dumb bulletin board material probably helped them keep their intensity beyond what Hurley expected was possible.

And given the copycat nature of division 1 basketball, expect to see more of this, assuming personnel is similar.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom