Hurley Postgame | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I didn’t see anything negative what he said… they just sounded disappointed with the game… and want to look forward to the ncaa tournament
His reaction with Adama and Jordan after the timeout demonstrated the player’s weren’t executing what was practiced.

There was no need to pile on to deflated players in a press conference so he’s fabricating an excuse.

Reaction Score
Time honored tradition. Parse every word in the presser. I took it as Marquette is a good offensive team that is difficult to prepare for and defend on short notice. Yeah we played them earlier in the season but Marquette is probably doing some different stuff now like we are and even if it's mostly the same, there is no substitute for having a little more time to reinforce everyones assignments and responsibilities. I was more hung up on the fact that Marquette just had more energy last night, especially on D. We have blown out so many teams this year that It's almost like psychologically, if we are in a close game, it means we are not playing well or doing something wrong. For the first time this year there was a little finger pointing, arguing, and trying to ignore the coach. Gotta remember these are college kids and you never know how they are gonna handle pressure at any given time. We as fans feel the pressure for the program to start producing in March. I'm sure the fellas feel it a lot more. Btw, for those who say DH never takes responsibility for anything. He just basically said it was his fault that they took previous BE tourney losses and carried it over into the tourney.

Reaction Score
I'm thinking he chose his words poorly and was trying to say that preparing for a team like Marquette is difficult because it is "so hard to defend"

referring to giving up 12 3's - "the half a day prep that you get to play an offense like that...that hurt us with our man defense."
Then he says the zones stabilized them.

I didn't get to see the game but does he address why Clingan only played 10 minutes, with 1 foul?

Reaction Score
Granted, but the more puzzling question to me is why did they not focus on driving on their 3 players who had 4 fouls to get them out of the game?
Because they didn’t practice for that possibility. It would’ve required making in game adjustments and we know how he doesn’t like to do that m.

Reaction Score
Hurley has horrible pressers. Even when we were winning it’s cringe to hear his reasoning behind things.

Like the whole “We went on a slide earlier in the year because we had a tough schedule, we’re winning because it lightened up”. No… We’re winning because you made adjustments to how we played. Can you not acknowledge that adjustments had to be made? The excuses he constantly makes are weird.
No weirder than the man himself

Reaction Score
Trying to read into post-game quotes is silly. The product on the court is all that matters IMO.

Hurley is welcome to take a dump on the table and give every UConn fan the finger if he can pull off a final 4 run.

Reaction Score
He’s done a really excellent job rebuilding a dumpster fire and he is not a “bad coach”. He is just not an elite level coach this can get the extra something special out of his teams. He doesn’t perform well as the stakes go up and it’s a well established pattern. In year 5 you are getting what you’re going to get… talented teams that are very competitive but can’t take the next step. Perhaps in a year where we are super loaded, the talent overcomes the coach’s limitations. Hurley should really hire JC for a few months and go through the season, examine every decision and learn from a master.

Reaction Score
The zone was a good move cuz man was a struggle with switching and it ultimately worked which is good. Glad he switched. Will say that part of the reason it worked was a little lucky. Marquette got some decent looks at 3's against the zone. The just missed a bunch quite frankly. We weren't like swarming them with it or anything. Sometimes a little luck is necessary.

Reaction Score
Trying to read into post-game quotes is silly. The product on the court is all that matters IMO.

Hurley is welcome to take a dump on the table and give every UConn fan the finger if he can pull off a final 4 run.
He can take a dump on my living room floor if we make a final 4 run. Hell, I might do it with him

Reaction Score
I know you're being sarcastic, but yes it won't happen this year. This team feels different, they're legitimately good and capable of making a run unlike the last few years
So, if the team is different and we still lose in the opening weekend, it has to be a Hurley issue then, right?

I agree with you about the team. To me, this makes next weekend a referendum on Hurley. If they fail, it is clearly a Hurley issue and his arse is on fire next year.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
He’s done a really excellent job rebuilding a dumpster fire and he is not a “bad coach”. He is just not an elite level coach this can get the extra something special out of his teams. He doesn’t perform well as the stakes go up and it’s a well established pattern. In year 5 you are getting what you’re going to get… talented teams that are very competitive but can’t take the next step. Perhaps in a year where we are super loaded, the talent overcomes the coach’s limitations. Hurley should really hire JC for a few months and go through the season, examine every decision and learn from a master.
Fwiw. I think we’d love to have a player or two from that dumpster fire of a team year 1.

We’re North Carolina-lite right now. If we want to win we have to have a very talented roster of upperclassmen who weren’t good enough for the NBA yet. Like if Hawkins and Sanogo managed to stay another year with Andre.

Must be karma for all the ish talking i did to UNC fans for it over the years.

Reaction Score
Why didn't he have our guys drive on the players that were sitting on the bench with four fouls?

Reaction Score
Hurley often has foot in mouth disease. He's a hyper guy and needs to pause for a second and think before speaking.

Reaction Score
Speaking of ill timed quotes.

I guess everyone was out celebrating Thursday night after the game, FS1 did a brief interview with Hurley that I thought would produce its own thread.

He actually, in praising Ed Cooley, told a national television audience he made Providence the best team in New England and " we are trying to get to where they are". He then finished by saying what a downtrodden program we were when he took over.

Now, why on earth would you even contemplate saying that to the cameras, even if you truly believed it. Are you greasing the skid for another post season nosedive? Auditioning to be Ed's bench coach if you flame out here?

Why?

Reaction Score
Speaking of ill timed quotes.

I guess everyone was out celebrating Thursday night after the game, FS1 did a brief interview with Hurley that I thought would produce its own thread.

He actually, in praising Ed Cooley, told a national television audience he made Providence the best team in New England and " we are trying to get to where they are". He then finished by saying what a downtrodden program we were when he took over.

Now, why on earth would you even contemplate saying that to the cameras, even if you truly believed it. Are you greasing the skid for another post season nosedive? Auditioning to be Ed's bench coach if you flame out here?

Why?
That was really weird and annoying to hear.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'm glad someone else heard it.

I never saw it mentioned here
I saw the same. He really shouldn’t talk about how bad the program was until he’s had some measure of postseason success.

Hard to talk about a coach who’s won an NC here when you haven’t even won a tourney game.

Reaction Score
No, I was just repeating what Hurley said that it's not going to happen again this year.

I can't really fathom another first round exit but just winning one as a huge favorite won't be good enough, he needs to make it out of the first weekend and he's talking like he expects us to go much further.

He's built this thing up but bottom line is we finally have to execute on some this talk when the games really matter.
Wow I genuinely agree. This is the perfect take. He has built it up, and now we need see the harvest of that. Until then it all just sounds good

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom