Hurley Postgame | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
What makes Saturday's conditions unique?

Roy Williams, one of the greatest coaches of all time with 3 titles and 900 wins, was famous for often not calling timeouts in this scenario because it doesn't let the defense plan for a way to disrupt you or setup a junk defense/trap and maximizes your remaining time left. In general, teams score much more efficiently in free flowing offense than off an opponent make or dead ball. Late game is a little different because usually the opponent is locked in. But teams should practice these situations often, so there should be some sort of play ready to go and you don't need to call a timeout.

The article shows that for Roy, the points per possession are basically identical either way, because usually in both scenarios it comes down to a guy making a contested shot or not.
Roy Williams was a phenomenal recruiter, not really a good coach. He just had too much talent to lose.

If you look at all of his championships, they are filled with highly rated players that somehow are still there Junior and Senior years.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, apparently it did not hurt Marquette? Plus we played 2X this year before the tournament.

Based on that comment, without several days of prep we are never going to have a deep tournament run.
That is a lame remark.

Reaction Score
Hmmmm, apparently it did not hurt Marquette? Plus we played 2X this year before the tournament.

Based on that comment, without several days of prep we are never going to have a deep tournament run.
Let me clarify. A lame remark by Hurley not you.

Reaction Score
No weirder than the man himself

It would have been a better move if we executed it like we did earlier in the year when we utilized it. It's a given for me that Donovan, Hawk and Andre can lose their composure if things aren't going right for them. But to see that in Triston, Joey, Adama and Alex was unusual. I can understand it because the stakes are high the pressure to win is greater. And it's compounded because these kids felt last season was a disappointment. They didn't want to repeat it. The only player that seemed not to be affected by the moment was Alleyne. Which is why I agree to some small extent in having him in for Jordan at the end of this game. But there's no way of knowing if that would have worked out better.
Some coaches will stay with the players that brought them back from a 10 or deficit.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
We’re getting there. We were a total laughingstock when he took over. Probably in the 150-200 range. Now we’re top 15 in his 5th season. That’s incredible growth, no?
I beg to differ. We weren't a total laughingstock - that would be Georgetown now. But we were in no danger of being ranked and couldn't make the dance.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
I beg to differ. We weren't a total laughingstock - that would be Georgetown now. But we were in no danger of being ranked and couldn't make the dance.
And remember, Hurley does have an advantage that Ollie didn't - we are back in the Big East

Reaction Score
Speaking of ill timed quotes.

I guess everyone was out celebrating Thursday night after the game, FS1 did a brief interview with Hurley that I thought would produce its own thread.

He actually, in praising Ed Cooley, told a national television audience he made Providence the best team in New England and " we are trying to get to where they are". He then finished by saying what a downtrodden program we were when he took over.

Now, why on earth would you even contemplate saying that to the cameras, even if you truly believed it. Are you greasing the skid for another post season nosedive? Auditioning to be Ed's bench coach if you flame out here?

Why?

I was reading through to see if anyone caught that quote and wanted to throw it on here. I for one was totally turned off with it ( not the first time he’s reminded people of the program prior) not sure why he had to say that after the game at all. Just give Cooley credit no need for all that detail he felt everyone should know about.

Reaction Score
Haters gonna hate

Lol only you could see “hate” in these posts. Get a new line.

It’s a pitiful statement unless I missed something and Marquette played Monday so they had 4 days to prepare? Lol

Reaction Score
We were St John’s

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
We were St John’s
More like Seton Hall, but not a laughingstock. Just not UConn.

Always amazed me how we struggled with a team like SMU

Reaction Score
Don’t you miss the days when Calhoun was our coach, who never misused or overlooked players, always ran the clock at the end of games to perfection, never got T’d up for throwing temper tantrums on the court, and was beloved and respected by the media and all the other fans in the country because of his knack for clearly and eloquently saying all the right things? Isn’t revisionist history great?
And, you know, winning 3 National Championships, an NIT title, and something like 11 Big East Championships. Yeah, revisionist history is something. But hey, Hurley won the P6 or whatever it was called.

Reaction Score
Compare and contrast Hurley Post vs Smart’s Post Game to learn what happened. Another disappointing loss where a winnable game was lost to a better coach. Look at Shaka’s comment to learn and grow.

Some key points

• Putting Prosper on Hawkins was the key. We can not win if Hawkins hits 5 3’s
  • Defensive stops. Emphasized defensive stops. His ability to get heightneed and prolonged defensive intensity is amazing IMHO.” All about the defense “
  • coming into the game bothered by We own the Garden” quote as a #1 seed coming. Used it to get his players up and defiant. They did By shutting down the guards..Hawkins,Newton.

But irregardless of all this a 2 point win would not have happened , Joplin hadn’t had a career night, Ben Gordon incarnate. 17 points, 4-5 from the 3.
Joplin has not had a double digit scoring game since January 28TH!!!!

Look at Shaka’s post game. Revelations you did not get from Harley’s BS

uh, it's a little easier doing a press conference after a win than a loss.

Reaction Score
The mentality of a coach who can't win a Friday night BET game. Its too bad because I don't think there is a coach out there who identifies with the UConn fan base better and the team has objectively improved every year. But next weekend is going to tell us a lot about Hurley. We have a top 5 team and absolutely cannot lose to a 13 or 14 seed.
Lol I don't want to jinx it, but I can't see this team losing in the 1st round. The story of this season has been that we destroy pretty much all the bad and mediocre teams we play, but we struggle in close games against good competition. If we do get a 3 seed and end up playing a good 6 in the 2nd round then I definitely think we can be in some trouble.

Doctor Hoop

Reaction Score
Lol I don't want to jinx it, but I can't see this team losing in the 1st round. The story of this season has been that we destroy pretty much all the bad and mediocre teams we play, but we struggle in close games against good competition. If we do get a 3 seed and end up playing a good 6 in the 2nd round then I definitely think we can be in some trouble.
This squad needs to treat every game as if the opponent will beat them if they aren't at their best. Anyone In the tournament can cause trouble if they don't.

Reaction Score
Speaking of ill timed quotes.

I guess everyone was out celebrating Thursday night after the game, FS1 did a brief interview with Hurley that I thought would produce its own thread.

He actually, in praising Ed Cooley, told a national television audience he made Providence the best team in New England and " we are trying to get to where they are". He then finished by saying what a downtrodden program we were when he took over.

Now, why on earth would you even contemplate saying that to the cameras, even if you truly believed it. Are you greasing the skid for another post season nosedive? Auditioning to be Ed's bench coach if you flame out here?

Why?
Didn't like it either. In trying to be classy, complimentary and gracious in victory, especially after Cooleys comments after last game, he way overcorrected. We are better than PC this year and were the higer seed. We also beat them twice. They were just keeping our seat warm for a few years. He could be respecful to the PC program without telling fairy tales about them.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score

They did have a coach who went to an NBA Finals and coached team USA. If that helps.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
No, the not getting AJ mentally ready to stay focused and disciplined on D. Not adjusting to the BE POY making 3s. So instead of going u Der the screen you fight through it. Giving up 2 is better than giving up 3.

Non adjusting hurt UCONN, Danny. Hope we learn from this.
He doesn’t know how to adjust period!!!
Except to take out a shot blocker rebounder
Offensive power who brought them back from 9 down and put back in a non defender
Guy who was part of why they were down 9 in the first place
Another words
Why the heck take out Clingan who stopped Marquette almost by himself than never play him again the rest of the night
Sorry but Hurley has to go cause he has no clue how to game day coach which is what it is all about after recruiting

Reaction Score

Seton Hall made 6 of the last 7 tournaments under Willard in the Big East. They were likely gonna be a 3 seed the season COVID cancelled the tournament.

Ollie was recruiting players off YouTube in the AAC and finishing under 500. This is a totally disingenuous comparison.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Seton Hall made 6 of the last 7 tournaments under Willard in the Big East. They were likely gonna be a 3 seed the season COVID cancelled the tournament.

Ollie was recruiting players off YouTube in the AAC and finishing under 500. This is a totally disingenuous comparison.
Ollie also inherited a post season ban (recruiting restrictions and probabtion(?), forget) and a max exodus of players his first year and still exceeded expectations. He also won a NC(lost almost his entire starting lineup the following year for good reasons), went to the conference tournament final 3 times winning once, and won a tournament game before losing in the second round.

The end of the coaching career was very bad and we’re in a better spot now than the end of his time here. Can’t argue that, but it’s pretty weird how everyone wants to ignore what he inherited and won in a short timeframe.

Reaction Score
technical foul for bogus statistical omission- Kolek was on bench for half the 2nd half in foul trouble
He still played over half of the second half and didn’t score anymore. Does that not count?

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Some coaches will stay with the players that brought them back from a 10 or deficit.
IMHO Hurley has NEVER bought in to Alleyne. You live and die with your choices. Doing the same thing over and over and expecting the outcome to change.

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
? Not sure what/who you’re talking about but I was referring to uconnnikki who is only seen on here bashing Hurley…amongst many others who only come out after a loss…
I am referring to Stephen A Smith. Reminds me of a reincarnated version of Joe Garagiola.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Newbie32

Top Bottom