Hurley Postgame | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hurley Postgame

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
And, you know, winning 3 National Championships, an NIT title, and something like 11 Big East Championships. Yeah, revisionist history is something. But hey, Hurley won the P6 or whatever it was called.
Lol Calhoun made sense in whatever he said to the media because it was brutal honesty. They didn’t like him for it, like the rant on his salary or Ryan Gomes. He was smart.

Hurley doesn’t sound that way in these pressers. If he doesn’t like the media and he knows he’s awkward maybe he should be like Harbaugh and be as vague and say as little as possible.

Reaction Score
"What is this?," huh?

That you've posed the question leads me to respond, "It depends..."

Considered at face value and on its plain language, it struck me as a cringeably bad quote from a guy who isn't known as a good speaker during interviews.

It appears as though others regarded it somewhat similarly...

For you, I'd regard it as a triple blessing: a bailout after all of your stupid comments last night; a dream come true gaffe that you could exploit; and a rallying cry for those who want to keep complaining about last night's game and/or a coach they dislike.

How cheeky of you to ask, so casually, "What is this?"

Terrible in support of the team's upcoming success, but otherwise well-done in re-igniting the bad energy of last night's post-game thread while continuing your bid to become the alpha negative cheerleader.

Note to @freescooter: Behold one of the guys lapping you. You are more long past expiration date than Jimmy B. The flame you hold high is a Bic disposable that you have to turn upside down, shake a few times, and flick more than a few times to briefly catch anything more than a spark. He doesn't get so overexcited when he thinks he's got a winner that he leaves out a key word or gets tripped up by autocorrect. Nor does he need to launder his creamed shorts.
Seems someone has some sour grapes as well. Only you are pointing fingers at those that made comments that you dislike. All the same, just a different way of vetting. I respect you and like your posts. All of us have said dumb things one time or another. Some comments on here may just be as you say “exploitation”, but I feel deeply wounded that you included me in your list of quotes. So that you understand what I said I will rephrase it:

I love our coach just as I love a fine cheese (especially Gouda melted over bread topping a bowl of onion soup), but so far in his first five years he has shown was he is capable of becoming and has not fully reached his full potential. There is a lot of talk here about a comment our coach made that was poorly made (dumb). However, had the refs made the right call on the Karaban foul under the basket we wouldn’t have had this thread at all.

There are so many things to like about Hurley and I think he will put it all together some day, but until then we need to be patient while we watch a very good coach become a great one. I really think he is a good fit for us. He just needs more time like a fine cheese that hasn’t been properly aged yet.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
Lol Calhoun made sense in whatever he said to the media because it was brutal honesty. They didn’t like him for it, like the rant on his salary or Ryan Gomes. He was smart.

Hurley doesn’t sound that way in these pressers. If he doesn’t like the media and he knows he’s awkward maybe he should be like Harbaugh and be as vague and say as little as possible.
Belichick**

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Seems someone has some sour grapes as well. Only you are pointing fingers at those that made comments that you dislike. All the same, just a different way of vetting. I respect you and like your posts. All of us have said dumb things one time or another. Some comments on here may just be as you say “exploitation”, but I feel deeply wounded that you included me in your list of quotes. So that you understand what I said I will rephrase it:

I love our coach just as I love a fine cheese (especially Gouda melted over bread topping a bowl of onion soup), but so far in his first five years he has shown was he is capable of becoming and has not fully reached his full potential. There is a lot of talk here about a comment our coach made that was poorly made (dumb). However, had the refs made the right call on the Karaban foul under the basket we wouldn’t have had this thread at all.

There are so many things to like about Hurley and I think he will put it all together some day, but until then we need to be patient while we watch a very good coach become a great one. I really think he is a good fit for us. He just needs more time like a fine cheese that hasn’t been properly aged yet.
I think we may have misread each other.

First of all, I meant zero criticism of you or anyone I quoted. I intended the quoted excepts to serve simply as examples of commenters who acknowledged Hurley's interview snippet as presented as sub-optimal, but saw no reason to use them as any type of springboard to make further criticism of the coach.

Your reply alerts me that your comment did not intend to offer any opinion on the featured quotation. I read such meaning into what you wrote, and apologize for doing so.

I appreciated your analogy nonetheless, to the extent that I believe you are saying that DH shows up for you as a work-in-progress, whom you hold in high regard.

I've regularly offered that areas where he has not yet achieved certain measures of success or where he exhibits tendencies that rile & frustrate his critics represent his "growing edge." I've also made mention of a number of adjustments, improvements, and firsts that have been part of this season, and continue to to cheer toward there being more.

Neither of us show the preference that some other posters seem to toward framing Hurley's personality or performance as sufficiently formed for them to judge him conclusively with skepticism & pessimism.

I abstracted from your comment my own impression that he's not currently very good at managing & maximizing media demands & opportunities. It's an identified area that all high profile coaches have to deal with.

Thanks for your thoughtful reply.

Doctor Hoop

Prescribing Hardwood Excellence
Reaction Score
Seton Hall made 6 of the last 7 tournaments under Willard in the Big East. They were likely gonna be a 3 seed the season COVID cancelled the tournament.

Ollie was recruiting players off YouTube in the AAC and finishing under 500. This is a totally disingenuous comparison.
I was referring to Seton Hall this year.

Reaction Score
It was a really weird quote from Monday. He was asked something about Hawkins and the step he's taken from last year and Hurley blurted out that he was only playing Hawkins early in the season last year so he wouldn't transfer.
It’s not like these are tough questions he puts his foot in his mouth over answering. I just don’t get his thought processes. A million things he could have said and that’s where his mind goes??

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Seton Hall made 6 of the last 7 tournaments under Willard in the Big East. They were likely gonna be a 3 seed the season COVID cancelled the tournament.

Ollie was recruiting players off YouTube in the AAC and finishing under 500. This is a totally disingenuous comparison.
Yeah ok. And you were in the room with KO
Give it up. DH is in the NBE and KO had the AAC
DH wouldnt have recruited any of the current players to the AAC except his son.
I know KO would have recruited high quality in the NBE

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
It’s not like these are tough questions he puts his foot in his mouth over answering. I just don’t get his thought processes. A million things he could have said and that’s where his mind goes??
Maybe he has a problem focusing under pressure?

Reaction Score
Maybe he has a problem focusing under pressure?
I get the sentiment and I agree but these press conferences aren’t pressure-filled situations, and certainly neither is a question about Hawk’s development. That’s as soft-ball as it gets. Take an opportunity to gas up the best recruit/player you’ve ever had. Why the hell do you answer that question the way he did? It’s just baffling

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
"The way the game is played in the nonconference and the NCAA Tournament is much different than the way we play in league play," Hurley noted. "Games are a lot more physical (in the Big East). We're proving to be better suited for maybe those other types of games that are played a little bit differently. That makes me feel better about March."

Reaction Score
"The way the game is played in the nonconference and the NCAA Tournament is much different than the way we play in league play," Hurley noted. "Games are a lot more physical (in the Big East). We're proving to be better suited for maybe those other types of games that are played a little bit differently. That makes me feel better about March."

That is one of those things that even if he truly believes that, it’s better left unsaid

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
His growing edge.
He's not there yet.
Might never be.
Must he be?
This week?

It's mid-March 2023. He needs your love & support now more than ever. Be the change you wish to see.

UConnSwag11

Storrs, CT The Mecca
Reaction Score
I

I think he was saying don’t be a jerk we have more important things like supporting the young men including the coach. After 7 pages of harping on a dumb commentS our coach made seems to have covered it all. Hopefully this thread can be locked soon.
comments*** FTFY

Reaction Score
I

I think he was saying don’t be a jerk we have more important things like supporting the young men including the coach. After 7 pages of harping on a dumb comment our coach made seems to have covered it all. Hopefully this thread can be locked soon.
My comment was “being a jerk”? man some of the people here are softer than cotton

I can support the team and offer critique. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Good lord. Not to mention, what am I supposed to do from a bar watching a television to “support” Hurley? I’m this case, he just needs to keep his foot out of his mouth.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
The cold hard fact is we now have 2 wins and 11 losses in games decided by 4 points or less over the last two seasons - including 6 losses in a row.
Does that mean that we can’t win close games, or does it mean that we’ve been able to stay close evening games when are opponent is better than us?

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
comments*** FTFY
Sez the guy who opened the thread with a single self-evident quotation and asked, "What is this?"

Time to shut up and root for your team's success. If not now, when?

Or, shut up. You're not helping.

Is this a joke?
Too cool to throw your support behind the team...by any means necessary?
Do you doubt the need, disagree with the sentiment?
Have you got something better?
How else do you think it's going to happen? Do you not want it?

Reaction Score
Does that mean that we can’t win close games, or does it mean that we’ve been able to stay close evening games when are opponent is better than us?
Fair question. I think we've proven we can beat anyone so I think it's more than a statistical anomaly. In fact, the last time we did win a game with a margin of 3 points or less was when Hurley got kicked out of the Villanova game last February and Kimani Young took over.

In other words, we're doomed. (Isn't that what I'm supposed to say here?)

Reaction Score
Sez the guy who opened the thread with a single self-evident quotation and asked, "What is this?"

Time to shut up and root for your team's success. If not now, when?

Or, shut up. You're not helping.

Too cool to throw your support behind the team...by any means necessary?
Do you doubt the need, disagree with the sentiment?
Have you got something better?
How else do you think it's going to happen? Do you not want it?
As I said, support and critique are not mutually exclusive. All your other questions are empty of content words so they’re hard to understand. I don’t know what “sentiment” you’re taking about and what “it” is.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
As I said, support and critique are not mutually exclusive. All your other questions are empty of content words so they’re hard to understand. I don’t know what “sentiment” you’re taking about and what “it” is.
The "sentiment" is the unreservedly throwing your support behind the team by any means necessary, in this case by loving & supporting the imperfectly human coach toward full success in his professional capacity, for this season right now.

"It" refers to performing as well as possible for every remaining game, one game at a time.

Thank you for asking.

Reaction Score
The "sentiment" is the unreservedly throwing your support behind the team by any means necessary, in this case by loving & supporting the imperfectly human coach toward full success in his professional capacity, for this season right now.
This is a message board. Are you asking me to censor my critique as if DH and the team is reading the forum? Again, I can support the team and offer critique at the same time. I don’t reserve support when I offer critique. I could argue critique is a form of support.

"It" refers to performing as well as possible for every remaining game, one game at a time

Of course I want that to happen. What a silly question.

Reaction Score
My comment was “being a jerk”? man some of the people here are softer than cotton

I can support the team and offer critique. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. Good lord. Not to mention, what am I supposed to do from a bar watching a television to “support” Hurley? I’m this case, he just needs to keep his foot out of his mouth.
I don’t think he meant that, but I am not him and I am making a bad assumption most likely. I don’t think any post on here is being a jerk or if so than I am a jerk too and maybe I am???? I am just saying that after 7 pages of it what sense does it make to carry this further. I think the original poster was saying let move on and talk about our team and this tournament. As for your comment, I am an older guy and getting softer as I age. Just life ……

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NAN24

Top Bottom