Hurley is not a good in-game coach | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hurley is not a good in-game coach

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Gilbert's shot the ball better than everyone else today, maybe driving in on their best shotblocker wasnt the right play (who knows if that was what Hurley wanted), but he should of absolutely been in to have been an offensive threat for a shot.

Sure. And he got fouled, hard, with no call. That’s the real story of the game for us.Memphis got away with too much.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score
I wasn't even arguing that you bench him. Just get Gaffney in the game with him.

When Gilbert is the only PG on the court late in games, it's a complete disaster. It's been happening in every game for the past month. How many more times do we have to watch this? The offense looked great in the first half with Gaffney and Gilbert on the court, then Hurley decides he has to get Gilbert his redemption. I don't get it.

The offense sucked in the first half. And in the second. We were awful running half court offense all game. Fortunately in the first half Memphis gave the ball away and we did well in transition. They tightened that up and our offense went away.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The offense sucked in the first half. And in the second. We were awful running half court offense all game. Fortunately in the first half Memphis gave the ball away and we did well in transition. They tightened that up and our offense went away.

We're a bad shooting team, but if you couldn't see the good ball movement in the first half compared to the 2nd half then I don't know what to tell you. We shot 40% in the first half compared to 27% in the second.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Zero good plays late in the game? What is late? He had 1 bad turnover and missed a layup how many more would you like to present? You are piling on like it or not but hey it’s your opinion.

My point is, if he made a couple mistakes but was also making positive plays to help us win then I wouldn't be so harsh.

Honestly it's more on Hurley at this point. Either he changes his offense in the last few minutes and is trying to run clock, which forces the guards to have to make a play, or Gilbert and Vital are doing it on their own, at which point he should pull them out of the game.

Reaction Score
We're a bad shooting team, but if you couldn't see the good ball movement in the first half compared to the 2nd half then I don't know what to tell you. We shot 40% in the first half compared to 27% in the second.
You realize the best offense in the first half was with Gilbert on the floor? Look at the end of the first half, that last possession with 20 seconds left ball in Gaffney's hands couldn't get a shot off and I don't think his feet even left the floor. Gilbert would have at least made something happen as would Vital.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You realize the best offense in the first half was with Gilbert on the floor? Look at the end of the first half, that last possession with 20 seconds left ball in Gaffney's hands couldn't get a shot off and I don't think his feet even left the floor. Gilbert would have at least made something happen as would Vital.

You should read my comments in this thread. I said that Gaffney should have been on the floor with Gilbert. The two of them together in the 1st half lead to our best offense of the day. I just don't want Gilbert to be out there as the only PG on the floor for an extended period of time, because it stagnates our offense.

the Q

Yowie Wowie. We’re gonna have so much fun here
Reaction Score
We don’t have that player

to me that’s all the more reason to draw up real offensive sets for those situations.

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Have you watched a game over the past month? Gilbert just can't be the main decision maker late in close games. He makes a terrible decision every single time.

I want a player in the game that will give us a chance to win.
That was Aiyegbusi before he stepped inside the 3-point line.

HuskyHawk

Reaction Score

Gaffney wasn’t good today. He said so himself. We forced more turnovers in the first half which lead to layups which is why we shot better. The half court offense stunk in both halves. Memphis had no turnovers over the last 5.5 minutes which is why our offense shut down and why they won. Gilbert was arguably our best player today, but nobody was great.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a team so capable on defense and so totally inept on offense. I keep thinking that the law of averages would allow us to have one good shooting game against a decent team. But no. It hasn’t come.

Reaction Score
We simply don't have the players that can put a game away late. I will say that I felt this was the perfect game to start Whaley over Carlton and Carlton proved me right. Under no circumstance should he play ahead of Whaley. I like him but it isn't working.

Reaction Score
Missed lay ups cost us another game. It’s excruciatin.

gtcam

Diehard since '65
Reaction Score
Gaffney may be a real good guard some day but he has a bad habit of playing poorly on the road. I can understand that some would like to see both Gaff and AG in there at the same time but who the sits? Gaffney looked very timid when Quinones was facing him and Penny saw that.
A lot of things cost UConn the game and there is blame to go to everyone. DH went back to his mysterious decisions, JC was a complete no show, Bouk has got to find his outside shot, AKok has the worst hands I've seen in ages, AG made a few bad decisions, CV could not shoot with consistency and that foul in the backcourt was stupid but I will bet that 95% of refs let it go - it didn't impede or bother the ball handler - UConn was slapped dozens of time harder without a call.
Free throw shooting, missed layups continue to haunt this team
Pork Chop was a bright spot - great drive, determination and quick hands
Sid would have helped spell Akok
Can one UConn coach please take 10 minutes out of their busy schedule to explain the proper way to set a pick? How about FT practice.
Finally, the AG hating on the chat is totally out of control.
I hope those spewing never have a kid who play at a high level, go through 3 surgeries and face what both he and DH faced while at Seton Hall - second guessing everything basketball. I thought overall he had a good game.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You’re kidding me right? :rolleyes:

No. In college basketball, the role of the point guard is to be a facilitator first. Within the current top 10 teams in the country, only 1 has their point guard leading their team in scoring (& assists) and its at San Diego State.

Guards like Kemba and Shabazz who are a score first point guard are the cream of the crop, very elite, very rare NCAA talent that ultimately ends up with great NBA careers. Until we bring in that elite NBA level guard again, the point in our system better be a passer first (deferring the scoring to high quality swings and wings).

Reaction Score
No. In college basketball, the role of the point guard is to be a facilitator first. Within the current top 10 teams in the country, only 1 has their point guard leading their team in scoring (& assists) and its at San Diego State.

Guards like Kemba and Shabazz who are a score first point guard are the cream of the crop, very elite, very rare NCAA talent that ultimately ends up with great NBA careers. Until we bring in that elite NBA level guard again, the point in our system better be a passer first (deferring the scoring to high quality swings and wings).

What has he facilitated besides some runs vs a Temple team that was like New Hampshire? He did nothing at all today zero and please don’t tell me it’s okay to be 2-10 last game and 0-6 this game because he’s supposed to be a facilitator lol. Can’t start the offense near the hash mark as a facilitator and that’s what was happening. And when he went to the basket he missed shots like the ones you absolutely kill AG on. Let’s cut the crap on this AG vs Gaffney stuff. Like I said I’m all in for taking out AG and/or CV as time winds down they’ve done nothing to make us believe they can make a play to win. But our options just aren’t that good that’s the biggest issue. But there’s no doubt we were a better team today when AG was running it until the broken record started skipping.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
What has he facilitated besides some runs vs a Temple team that was like New Hampshire? He did nothing at all today zero and please don’t tell me it’s okay to be 2-10 last game and 0-6 this game because he’s supposed to be a facilitator lol. Can’t start the offense near the hash mark as a facilitator and that’s what was happening. And when he went to the basket he missed shots like the ones you absolutely kill AG on. Let’s cut the crap on this AG vs Gaffney stuff. Like I said I’m all in for taking out AG and/or CV as time winds down they’ve done nothing to make us believe they can make a play to win. But our options just aren’t that good that’s the biggest issue. But there’s no doubt we were a better team today when AG was running it until the broken record started skipping.

So you'd take out AG/CV and put in Gaff (or others) to actually try to win the game?

Regardless, Gaffney is the future of our program and he has been AWESOME to watch develop over the past few games and finally give us an exciting offense worth watching. If you don't see that, then I feel sorry for you. Remember, his ankle is only just getting healthy (according to insiders) and will be a BIG part of our future.

Also he's a freshman, not a 4th year player.

EDIT: regarding Gaff's shooting, he is 33.3% on the year from the field (and 81% from FT) and AG is 32.8% from the field (and 68% from FT). And Gaff is a Frosh.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
So you'd take out AG/CV and put in Gaff (or others) to actually try to win the game?

Regardless, Gaffney is the future of our program and he has been AWESOME to watch develop over the past few games and finally give us an exciting offense worth watching. If you don't see that, then I feel sorry for you. Remember, his ankle is only just getting healthy (according to insiders) and will be a BIG part of our future.

Also he's a freshman, not a 4th year player.

EDIT: regarding Gaff's shooting, he is 33.3% on the year from the field (and 81% from FT) and AG is 32.8% from the field (and 68% from FT). And Gaff is a Frosh.

Don’t feel sorry for me I know what I see is right. And just the fact you said he’s been awesome is all I need to know about what you think you’ve been seeing. Lol

Reaction Score
He had a hot hand in the first half. A hostile environment on the road against a solid team you need your veteran guys in there that have been in those situations before. Just look at the goose egg Gaffney laid today. Give me a break. Al came out ready to play.
Lol- we are arguing about two players who have had just absolutely miserable seasons. I get it is frustrating, but what’s the point of going back & forth about it- both have been terrible- one has shot 33 percent & the other 30 percent from the field. Most of you want the player who is shooting 30 percent from the field & a worse assist to turnover ratio in the game, lol.

You cannot find a tournament team in where both the rosters point guard shoot under 34 percent from the field on the season.

I suggest to stop arguing about who should play- both have been a disaster- keep your energy & words to discuss another subject matter.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
Clearly Hurley's still worried about Gilbert's mental health. And just as clearly doesn't care about ours.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Don’t feel sorry for me I know what I see is right. And just the fact you said he’s been awesome is all I need to know about what you think you’ve been seeing. Lol

I said hes been awesome to watch develop. I didn’t say he’s been awesome.

And just the fact you couldn’t read my post is all I need to know about what you think you’ve been seeing. Lol

Reaction Score
Remove the names off the jersey and a person told you said nameless team gets consistently outperformed in second halves, you would say there must be a coaching issue.

Reaction Score
Anyone blaming Al for the loss and personally attacking him should be banned from the BY. You know nothing about the game. It was an accumulation of bad decisions by all players throughout the whole game and not making shots that led to the loss.
They all need their whipping boy.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom