Hurley is not a good in-game coach | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hurley is not a good in-game coach

Reaction Score
There was nothing from him today nothing. He was starting the offense from 35 feet out he couldn’t get by his guy and when he did he threw up shots like AG did at the end of the game. And he couldn’t guard his guy watch the game people.

I did watch the game, and I watched the ball move when he was in. His defense was mostly fine with the exception of allowing 1 or two drives, plus he was very active getting in lanes and getting steals. His drives weren't great but he's young and at least with him there's hope that they will improve. He had trouble getting the ball up and setting the offense 1 time that I noticed and after that he basically sat for the rest of the day, which was frustrating. Did you notice that Akok was extremely active in the first half and basically invisible in the second? Do you think that might have had something to do with the different guard rotation in the second half?

More importantly, when Al and Christian are in in the last 5 minutes it becomes the Al and Christian show and we lose. Every time. Over and over again. I have not even the remotest feeling of optimism that we'll win. I don't even place as much of the blame on those 2 guys as most others do - it's as much a function of everyone deferring as anything else. But the fact that it's not all Al and Christian's fault doesn't mean that we shouldn't try something different. If you know you're going to lose with option A (and we do at this point), then you have to go with option B or C or D because it can't be a worse result.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Gaffney was awful today he did nothing against these defenders broke down no one. He had trouble passing the ball from closer than 25-30 feet the run and best offense cane with AG ball in hand. I know many hate to hear that but it wasn’t close today. And defensively same thing.

So it's a coincidence our offense looked better with him running things? They ran better offense in spite of Gaffney?

Come on. We've seen this story over and over again. 1-7 in close games against good teams, and there's been one constant in every one of those games.

Reaction Score
I did watch the game, and I watched the ball move when he was in. His defense was mostly fine with the exception of allowing 1 or two drives, plus he was very active getting in lanes and getting steals. His drives weren't great but he's young and at least with him there's hope that they will improve. He had trouble getting the ball up and setting the offense 1 time that I noticed and after that he basically sat for the rest of the day, which was frustrating. Did you notice that Akok was extremely active in the first half and basically invisible in the second? Do you think that might have had something to do with the different guard rotation in the second half?

More importantly, when Al and Christian are in in the last 5 minutes it becomes the Al and Christian show and we lose. Every time. Over and over again. I have not even the remotest feeling of optimism that we'll win. I don't even place as much of the blame on those 2 guys as most others do - it's as much a function of everyone deferring as anything else. But the fact that it's not all Al and Christian's fault doesn't mean that we shouldn't try something different. If you know you're going to lose with option A (and we do at this point), then you have to go with option B or C or D because it can't be a worse result.

Who made the 11-0 run? Oh wait who had goose freakin eggs on their stat sheet?

Please people want AG to fail and their wishes to be right. Be careful what you wish for he looked good against a horrid Temple team even though he was 2-10. He wasn’t getting by his defender with any ease at all today and the offense didn’t look good when he was running the point. I hope he figures out how to play despite not having the quickness most of his opponents will have. He’s got some game but we weren’t in this one because of him. I know thats tough on some haters.

Last edited:

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
You guys looking for Gaffney this game didnt see what a lot of us saw. A guy who was overmatched and struggling with ball pressure. Gilbert came in in the first half and they went on an 11-0 run. This was not Gaffneys game. He will continue as starter but didnt have it today.

The 0 fgs in final 5 mins of the game is pathetic. No one can make a shot. It's not even close....inexcusable

so.... who was on the floor the last 5 minutes? Gilbert or Gaffney? No saying what would have happened if 4 steal / 0 turnover Gaffney was out there, but the offense quite literally could have not been worse.

a majority of our transition offense (and total game points) came with Gaffney out on the floor. Our transition offense was virtually non-existent in the second half with Gaffney riding the pine.

Reaction Score
So it's a coincidence our offense looked better with him running things? They ran better offense in spite of Gaffney?

Come on. We've seen this story over and over again. 1-7 in close games against good teams, and there's been one constant in every one of those games.
It never looked good with him running it today what were you watching? I Agree in the same story at the end but you do realize if AG sat this game out we wouldn’t have cared the last 2 minutes based on your guys 0-0?

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
Yeah the offense looked spectacular in his end of half shot. Or his drive late when precious stuffed him.

the end of half offense has not looked good regardless who has been out there all season long.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
It never looked good with him running it today what were you watching? I Agree in the same story at the end but you do realize if AG sat this game out we wouldn’t have cared the last 2 minutes based on your guys 0-0?

I watched the game, and I watched the previous two games where the offense looked light years better with Gaffney on the court.

McLovin

Gangstas, what's up?
Reaction Score
But had zero points!

the job of the point guard is to be a facilitator first and scorer second. Yes he also had 0 assists but just watching the game, the team plays much more cohesively (on both ends of the floor) with Gaffney out there.

Reaction Score
AG was fine with Gaffney in the game. Hurley has failed AG not putting him in the right situation.

Reaction Score
I watched the game, and I watched the previous two games where the offense looked light years better with Gaffney on the court.
Previous 2? Last one AG didn’t play against that dreadful team. What did he do better the game before when AG had zero TOS? And he was awful in the OT just like AG has been down the stretch so help me understand how he was so much better unless you just don’t like the other guy?

Reaction Score
I don't have faith in his decision making during games. His blind faith in Alterique Gilbert is astounding.
Judge him when he has his full roster. I don’t disagree but any coach couldn’t do much with this roster. Namaste

Reaction Score
AG was fine with Gaffney in the game. Hurley has failed AG not putting him in the right situation.
And what is that situation? Time to take a short break and enjoy the superbowl.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Previous 2? Last one AG didn’t play against that dreadful team. What did he do better the game before when AG had zero TOS? And he was awful in the OT just like AG has been down the stretch so help me understand how he was so much better unless you just don’t like the other guy?

Gaffney is a freshman, I can live with bad stretches from him here or there. He's going to improve.

I personally think the offense looks much better with him running the point. If you disagree that's fine. We just can't keep giving the ball to Gilbert late in these games.

Reaction Score
Gaffney is a freshman, I can live with bad stretches from him here or there. He's going to improve.

I personally think the offense looks much better with him running the point. If you disagree that's fine. We just can't keep giving the ball to Gilbert late in these games.
Honestly AG really didn’t make any bad decisions late in this game. He had one turnover at like the 6 minute mark and one drive with a minute or two to go which wasn’t even bad!

Reaction Score

We can agree on your last sentence no issues there. Well we can give it to him but coach needs him to know he can not be the plan and maybe draw up a better one.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Honestly AG really didn’t make any bad decisions late in this game. He had one turnover at like the 6 minute mark and one drive with a minute or two to go which wasn’t even bad!

I disagree that the drive wasn't bad. It would've been an incredible play if that shot went in. And the turnover was definitely brutal. Compare that to the zero good plays he made late in the game.

I'm not trying to pile on the kid. At this point I blame Hurley more than anyone for him being in the game late.

Reaction Score
It looks like the offense has “opened up” some the last 2-3 games. It little bit more uptempo along with more 3’s being taken. Most of the 3’s have been good looks. Seems Hurley has adjusted some with Bouk starting trying to open up the driving lanes for him.
Also, it seemed like there was very little top of the key/timeline weaves being run last game and in the first half of today’s game which worked relatively well.

But, the damn weave came back with 8-10 minutes left in the game today and bogged the offense down again.

Reaction Score
I don’t know. I feel like they move the ball so much better. They’re just such an abysmal shooting team. We’ve got guys airballing wide open threes and elbow jumpers.
I don’t think any of our guards ever dish it off when they drive in— they either get stuffed or they lose the ball. And many times they drive so hard they just slam it off the backboard— granted this usually happens when they’re being closely guarded.

KembaStepback

Rains Triples
Reaction Score
so.... who was on the floor the last 5 minutes? Gilbert or Gaffney? No saying what would have happened if 4 steal / 0 turnover Gaffney was out there, but the offense quite literally could have not been worse.

a majority of our transition offense (and total game points) came with Gaffney out on the floor. Our transition offense was virtually non-existent in the second half with Gaffney riding the pine.
Look...I'm not some Gilbert lover. In fact, I'm glad Hurley made a switch. However, Gaffney looked just way overmatched. It was obvious. Hurley didnt have a choice. This was always the issue with Gaffney. If teams really pressure the ball he will struggle.

Reaction Score
Hurley on Gilbert: “It was good today, what he did for us. He can’t pull the trigger, trying that thread-the-needle bounce pass there. Otherwise I thought he gave us a spark. He gave us a lift. He looked like he was having fun out there.”

Coach agrees.

Reaction Score
I disagree that the drive wasn't bad. It would've been an incredible play if that shot went in. And the turnover was definitely brutal. Compare that to the zero good plays he made late in the game.

I'm not trying to pile on the kid. At this point I blame Hurley more than anyone for him being in the game late.

Zero good plays late in the game? What is late? He had 1 bad turnover and missed a layup how many more would you like to present? You are piling on like it or not but hey it’s your opinion.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Boatbro

Top Bottom