Hurley is not a good in-game coach | Page 2 | The Boneyard

Hurley is not a good in-game coach

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
sorry meant Gilbert shot

I wasn't even arguing that you bench him. Just get Gaffney in the game with him.

When Gilbert is the only PG on the court late in games, it's a complete disaster. It's been happening in every game for the past month. How many more times do we have to watch this? The offense looked great in the first half with Gaffney and Gilbert on the court, then Hurley decides he has to get Gilbert his redemption. I don't get it.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played awesome in the first Half. Was under control, played within the offense and took smart shots.

Then he got confident, and reverted back to the same ball stopping, over penetrating, bad decision making in the second half and the offense crumbled.
He made one bad pass with about 6 minutes left and his drive to the basket wasn’t even that bad

Reaction Score
Gaffney, Vital, Bouknight, Gilbert, (EDIT: Akok, not Whaley)

We actually looked good in the first half with Gilbert and Gaffney on the floor together. When Gilbert doesn't have to be "the guy" he can be good. Hurley turned him into "the guy" in the 2nd half and there was a predictable result.

Good point. I think there best team down the stretch would've been AG, CV, Bouk, Gaffney and Akok

Reaction Score
Hurley is fine. His use of timeouts and playing certain players together is frustrating but calling plays he's good. With better players coming in he'll be fine
Agreed! We need scorers and shooters. Our best shooter got hurt. Everything will be fine

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
Seriously. This team is going to keep getting better. I think Gilbert off the bench works well

Off the bench is fine. Turning him into "the guy" is a bad decision. Gilbert off the bench as the 2nd ball handler in the first half had a ton of success.

mrl2016

better late than never
Reaction Score
Good point. I think there best team down the stretch would've been AG, CV, Bouk, Gaffney and Akok

Choosing defenses, calling plays out of timeouts, and substitutions are all on the coach. And all were performed at a very high level this game

Although I do take that back on the substitutions. Even though Whaley was playing decent today once he fouled out I would have liked to see akok at the 5 and gaff in the game at the end. Not in place of al though

Reaction Score
I don't have faith in his decision making during games. His blind faith in Alterique Gilbert is astounding.
He had a hot hand in the first half. A hostile environment on the road against a solid team you need your veteran guys in there that have been in those situations before. Just look at the goose egg Gaffney laid today. Give me a break. Al came out ready to play.

Reaction Score
Seriously. This team is going to keep getting better. I think Gilbert off the bench works well

Yessir. He had a couple Gilbertesque drives...but just a couple instead of two dozen. Gaffney is a good point guard...who was playing high school ball last year. Hurley knows what he is doing.

Reaction Score
Gaffney because we actually run offense when he's playing.

There was nothing from him today nothing. He was starting the offense from 35 feet out he couldn’t get by his guy and when he did he threw up shots like AG did at the end of the game. And he couldn’t guard his guy watch the game people.

Reaction Score
You guys looking for Gaffney this game didnt see what a lot of us saw. A guy who was overmatched and struggling with ball pressure. Gilbert came in in the first half and they went on an 11-0 run. This was not Gaffneys game. He will continue as starter but didnt have it today.

The 0 fgs in final 5 mins of the game is pathetic. No one can make a shot. It's not even close....inexcusable
Thank you. You said this perfectly. And this is not on Hurley either.

Reaction Score
When you repeat the same outcome the same way, it’s on the coach. They are never prepared for the last 2 minutes and revert to standing still and chaos. Have a 2 minute series of player movement where everybody knows what they are expected to do. This is insane. 3 basic movement patterns with jobs and expected shot opportunities called on each possession. You ever see our PG put up fingers for a set? Nope. Total bullsnot.

Reaction Score
Gilbert played awesome in the first Half. Was under control, played within the offense and took smart shots.

Then he got confident, and reverted back to the same ball stopping, over penetrating, bad decision making in the second half and the offense crumbled.

He played good in the 2nd half too on both ends ..., until the usual. So maybe Hurley takes him out then because of the history but he was playing a ton better than the options.

UConn_Top_Dog

"Your school wins games... WE WIN CHAMPIONSHIPS!"
Reaction Score
Anyone blaming Al for the loss and personally attacking him should be banned from the BY. You know nothing about the game. It was an accumulation of bad decisions by all players throughout the whole game and not making shots that led to the loss.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
He played good in the 2nd half too on both ends ..., until the usual. So maybe Hurley takes him out then because of the history but he was playing a ton better than the options.

I thought the offense looked great in the first half. The last 3 games our offense has looked so much better with Gaffney running the point, no matter what his stats are. Then in the 2nd half, Hurley decided to bench him and we struggle yet again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Reaction Score
I thought the offense looked great in the first half. The last 3 games our offense has looked so much better with Gaffney running the point, no matter what his stats are. Then in the 2nd half, Hurley decided to bench him and we struggle yet again. Can't say I'm surprised.

Gaffney was awful today he did nothing against these defenders broke down no one. He had trouble passing the ball from closer than 25-30 feet the run and best offense cane with AG ball in hand. I know many hate to hear that but it wasn’t close today. And defensively same thing.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom