Hurley is not a good in-game coach | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hurley is not a good in-game coach

Reaction Score
The shooting on all fronts was pretty bad, but I thought AG had a solid game. As for running plays down the stretch or offensive sets late in the shot clock, that has been dissappointing all season and is on the entire staff and players.

Reaction Score
Clearly Hurley's still worried about Gilbert's mental health. And just as clearly doesn't care about ours.
Lolol. Perfect spot to stop reading this drivel. Right here. Gotta clean out the cars, fire up the grill and hope the 49ers win 29-21. My squares.

Reaction Score
Remove the names off the jersey and a person told you said nameless team gets consistently outperformed in second halves, you would say there must be a coaching issue.

Remove the names and I'd tell you that, in a close game, the team with the better players usually makes plays in crunch time and wins.

Reaction Score
Officiating was horrible as usual. How do we get these backstabbers.
Every time we got close or went ahead there was a bad call. Touch fouls etc..

Reaction Score
Remove the names and I'd tell you that, in a close game, the team with the better players usually makes plays in crunch time and wins.
I am not talking final score. I am talking about adjustments or lack thereof. We usually look worse out of halftime than we do in the first half. This has been a consistent theme.
If a team always gets outplayed in the second half, a rational person would have to question the coaching.

Reaction Score
The offense that UCONN is currently running is not awful. Misdirections, handoffs, reversing the basketball, setting screens, cutting through...everything you'd expect basketball players to run. The thing you have to consider is that every player has to make a read. The sets are meant to move the ball and shift the defense to get an advantage. UCONN has gotten plenty of good looks in their current motion offense but we just don't have enough quality shot makers yet. Once Akok gets stronger and more confidence, his pick and pops are going to be called great offensive sets. If Carlton would roll with a force and get off the ground more than 1 inch, we'd say great call. At the end of the game, players make the plays. Coaches just have to put them in a position to PLAY THE GAME. Teaching sets is not the thing that would ignite our offense. Sets are easily defended by the average coach. Motion, instincts, and IQ is what is needed for this team to flourish. When it mattered, Hurley has drawn up some amazing plays to set up the Huskies for success. Make or miss, sometimes it's just not on the coach. I just don't understand why people are saying there is no offense being run. Not every play can be a drawn up as a quick hitter. Not sustainable if that is all UCONN did.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
The offense that UCONN is currently running is not awful. Misdirections, handoffs, reversing the basketball, setting screens, cutting through...everything you'd expect basketball players to run. The thing you have to consider is that every player has to make a read. The sets are meant to move the ball and shift the defense to get an advantage. UCONN has gotten plenty of good looks in their current motion offense but we just don't have enough quality shot makers yet. Once Akok gets stronger and more confidence, his pick and pops are going to be called great offensive sets. If Carlton would roll with a force and get off the ground more than 1 inch, we'd say great call. At the end of the game, players make the plays. Coaches just have to put them in a position to PLAY THE GAME. Teaching sets is not the thing that would ignite our offense. Sets are easily defended by the average coach. Motion, instincts, and IQ is what is needed for this team to flourish. When it mattered, Hurley has drawn up some amazing plays to set up the Huskies for success. Make or miss, sometimes it's just not on the coach. I just don't understand why people are saying there is no offense being run. Not every play can be a drawn up as a quick hitter. Not sustainable if that is all UCONN did.

It seems like late in these games, the offense just turns into dribbling down the shot clock and having one of our guards either go one-on-one or chuck up a contested 3 at the buzzer. Not sure if that's Hurley or the players not executing but it's definitely ugly to watch, especially since we don't have a guard that is great at breaking down a defender off the dribble or making 3s.

Reaction Score
Play-calling seems to be okay. We just don't have the shooters/finishers to put points on the board. With that said he needs to work on when to call timeouts and roster management (ie benching repeat offenders making bone-headed plays).

Reaction Score
I am not talking final score. I am talking about adjustments or lack thereof. We usually look worse out of halftime than we do in the first half. This has been a consistent theme.
If a team always gets outplayed in the second half, a rational person would have to question the coaching.

We get outplayed in the last five minutes.

First five minutes of the second half?

vs. Houston -- 5 point lead at halftime, 5 point lead at 15:00.
vs. Memphis -- 1 point lead at halftime, 4 point lead at 15:00
vs. Tulsa -- 5 point deficit at halftime, 6 point deficit at 15:00
vs. Villanova -- 6 point deficit at halftime, 2 point deficit at 15:00

Reaction Score
So it's a coincidence our offense looked better with him running things? They ran better offense in spite of Gaffney?

You keep saying this. They were getting doubled up by Memphis in the first half and then Hurley put Gilbert in the game and they scored 11 straight and took the lead. Gaffney was a non-factor against Memphis. It's not an indictment of the kid but people are really grasping at straws in the way they talk about him.

Reaction Score
We get outplayed in the last five minutes.

First five minutes of the second half?

vs. Houston -- 5 point lead at halftime, 5 point lead at 15:00.
vs. Memphis -- 1 point lead at halftime, 4 point lead at 15:00
vs. Tulsa -- 5 point deficit at halftime, 6 point deficit at 15:00
vs. Villanova -- 6 point deficit at halftime, 2 point deficit at 15:00
We got outplayed for the second half ....AGAIN.. but sure, I'm wrong lol. Please look at which team score the most points in the second half.

Rico444

In the mix for six
Reaction Score
You keep saying this. They were getting doubled up by Memphis in the first half and then Hurley put Gilbert in the game and they scored 11 straight and took the lead. Gaffney was a non-factor against Memphis. It's not an indictment of the kid but people are really grasping at straws in the way they talk about him.

Gilbert played almost the entire second half and we didn't look great.

Again, what I've been saying throughout the thread is that I thought Gaffney and Gilbert should've been on the floor together. We have almost a full season's worth of sample size of Gilbert running the offense and it's been ugly - - especially at the end of games. I'd rather go through some growing pains here or there with Gaffney on the floor if the offense is going to move the ball more.

Reaction Score
We got outplayed for the second half ....AGAIN.. but sure, I'm wrong lol. Please look at which team score the most points in the second half.
Since you asked so nicely

32-31 Tulane
56-54 UConn (WSU)
34-34 (Nova)
38-29 Houston
52-51 UConn (Tulsa)
42-42 (Temple)
40-32 Memphis

So you're wrong on this

Reaction Score
Since you asked so nicely

32-31 Tulane
56-54 UConn (WSU)
34-34 (Nova)
38-29 Houston
52-51 UConn (Tulsa)
42-42 (Temple)
40-32 Memphis

So you're wrong on this
I could have sworn we played more than 7 games this season. My bad.

Reaction Score
I could have sworn we played more than 7 games this season. My bad.
Again, since you asked so nicely

49-30 UConn (SHU)
49-42 UConn (SJU)
39-37 Florida
45-34 UConn (UB)
53-44 UConn (Xavier)
44-28 UConn (Miami)
33-16 UConn (Maine)
44-27 UConn (Iona)
25-23 UConn (Indiana)
34-26 St Peters
48-26 UConn (UNH)
34-27 UConn (NJIT)
32-32 (Cincy)
36-28 USF

So to recap, that's 12 wins, 6 losses and 3 second half ties. Try again

Reaction Score
Again, since you asked so nicely

49-30 UConn (SHU)
49-42 UConn (SJU)
39-37 Florida
45-34 UConn (UB)
53-44 UConn (Xavier)
44-28 UConn (Miami)
33-16 UConn (Maine)
44-27 UConn (Iona)
25-23 UConn (Indiana)
34-26 St Peters
48-26 UConn (UNH)
34-27 UConn (NJIT)
32-32 (Cincy)
36-28 USF

So to recap, that's 12 wins, 6 losses and 3 second half ties. Try again

Some people will say anything to advance the “we lost, Coach bad” story . . .

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom