How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
How about VT being hit with higher costs than other entrants...that has been a sore point for a while.

But then, time and money changes everything and VT may now be the first program in UConn's corner....

That wasn't UConn's price. It was the basketball schools' price. UConn was one of the 2 bballs that favored VT for full membership. In fact, ND was one of the schools that consistently backstabbed the football schools all throughout. UConn brokered the agreement.

Look at the end result. Cuse wasn't leaving, not for VT.

Reaction Score
You sold me.....

UConn brokered the agreement that locked VT out of all sports membership...that seems clear from statements made by Uconn folks.

Might have all been good...but VT folks have smoldered.

Reaction Score
You start by calling UConn a backstabber, and then you got the entire story all wrong. How do you expect a UConn fan to react?

1. UConn was one of two basketball schools that favored VT's complete admission, bball too!
2. The bball schools didn't go along and were ready to split.
3. UConn brokered a compromise. The alternative WAS NOT the football schools splitting, because Syracuse would have never taken off. The alternative was VT staying in the metro.
4. When UConn football joined the BE, it was not going to earn a full payday for 5 years. This is not at all uncommon. In fact, Rutgers has the same deal for 7 years with the B1G.

Why WOULDN'T VT be in UConn's corner? It's just a bizarre perspective.

Reaction Score
You sold me.....

UConn brokered the agreement that locked VT out of all sports membership...that seems clear from statements made by Uconn folks.

Might have all been good...but VT folks have smoldered.

The alternative was what? VT in the Metro.

You guys just invited ND into the conference--the ultimate backstabbers. Just wait. Who do you think ND is going to side with when it comes to disagreements in the ACC?

Reaction Score
Makes no real difference now days anyway...with money involved, cats and dogs lie down together.

Miami could forget (even Shalala) being sued, VT could forget their grievances, Boston College could forget their worries about NE competition...

Money induces amnesia.

Reaction Score
You start by calling UConn a backstabber, and then you got the entire story all wrong. How do you expect a UConn fan to react?

1. UConn was one of two basketball schools that favored VT's complete admission, bball too!
2. The bball schools didn't go along and were ready to split.
3. UConn brokered a compromise. The alternative WAS NOT the football schools splitting, because Syracuse would have never taken off. The alternative was VT staying in the metro.
4. When UConn football joined the BE, it was not going to earn a full payday for 5 years. This is not at all uncommon. In fact, Rutgers has the same deal for 7 years with the B1G.

Why WOULDN'T VT be in UConn's corner? It's just a bizarre perspective.

"I" didn't call UConn anything...I reported that VT folks had said that....and posted the source.

Reaction Score
Rutger and WVU were added without reduced revenue sharing...VT was singled out back then.

That was their complaint...not what happens today in CR.

Reaction Score
Strange bedfellows...

You know, VT was going to get screwed again by Miami and Shalala. Miami's price for coming into the ACC was naming a partner...and it was not VT.

Reaction Score
Rutger and WVU were added without reduced revenue sharing...VT was singled out back then.

That was their complaint...not what happens today in CR.

Rutgers has reduced revenue sharing.

http://blog.nj.com/njv_guest_blog/2013/06/will_the_big_ten_make_rutgers.html

That’s not the end of the story. Rutgers won’t be a full Big Ten member for several years. (Nebraska, which joined in 2011, won’t be a full member until 2017.) As a junior member, Rutgers would get a smaller payout. It’s also leaving the Big East, which paid Rutgers $9.5 million in 2011-12.

UConn also had reduced revenue sharing when added.

Penn State had reduced revenue sharing as well.

Reaction Score
Not in the Big East fella...we are talking about WVU and Rutgers being added with different parameters and then VT getting the shaft in comparison....

Reaction Score
Strange bedfellows...

You know, VT was going to get screwed again by Miami and Shalala. Miami's price for coming into the ACC was naming a partner...and it was not VT.

I think all your posts about VT including this one demonstrate that VT has had a hard time getting to where they have always wanted to be. The ACC had snubbed VT starting in 1953 and on several occasions after that including when Georgia Tech was invited and when Florida State was invited. They were only admitted in 2002 because UNC and Duke voted against expansion. That made John Casteen from UVA's vote relevant, and he is the one that was sponsoring VT. He got the group to vote on VT before they could vote on Miami to help make sure they got in because he knew eveyone wanted Miami, but he wasn't sure on VT. After trying many times for 50 years to get into the ACC, VT isn't likely to want to go anywhere else. There are some VT fans that like the idea of the SEC, but the SEC is not where their administration wants to be.

Louisville had VT and VCU kicked out of the Metro when they went in the direction of forming C-USA. VT fans remember that too and don't like it, but Louisville is coming in. I talk to VT fans everyday, and I don't hear a whole lot of objection to UConn. Their biggest concern is being put in a Division that looks like the Big East and not the ACC. They want to be able to recruit in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. They want to play regular games there. They have accepted Boston College as their crossover rival. I don't think that VT is where any sort of anti-UConn bias would be coming from. I think more of it is coming from Boston College, which I don't get. And I think that the football schools in the south see UConn as a basketball school. It is. And they know they have to work on football.

Reaction Score
I think all your posts about VT including this one demonstrate that VT has had a hard time getting to where they have always wanted to be. The ACC had snubbed VT starting in 1953 and on several occasions after that including when Georgia Tech was invited and when Florida State was invited. They were only admitted in 2002 because UNC and Duke voted against expansion. That made John Casteen from UVA's vote relevant, and he is the one that was sponsoring VT. He got the group to vote on VT before they could vote on Miami to help make sure they got in because he knew eveyone wanted Miami, but he wasn't sure on VT. After trying many times for 50 years to get into the ACC, VT isn't likely to want to go anywhere else. There are some VT fans that like the idea of the SEC, but the SEC is not where their administration wants to be.

Louisville had VT and VCU kicked out of the Metro when they went in the direction of forming C-USA. VT fans remember that too and don't like it, but Louisville is coming in. I talk to VT fans everyday, and I don't hear a whole lot of objection to UConn. Their biggest concern is being put in a Division that looks like the Big East and not the ACC. They want to be able to recruit in the Carolinas, Georgia, and Florida. They want to play regular games there. They have accepted Boston College as their crossover rival. I don't think that VT is where any sort of anti-UConn bias would be coming from. I think more of it is coming from Boston College, which I don't get. And I think that the football schools in the south see UConn as a basketball school. It is. And they know they have to work on football.

You know, Casteen was actually at UConn when the whole controversy with adding football schools began. I believe Casteen left for Virginia in 1990-1991, and that's when Lew Perkins started pushing for UConn football, because the talk was there already under Casteen about adding VT, Miami, WV, Rutgers.

Reaction Score

BC hates UConn because it knows that given the opportunity, it will never ever be able to compete with UConn in recruiting, brand name, and now even academics. The Catholic schools have never been partial to UConn and BC is one of them. BC and it's former AD is responsible for keeping UConn out of the ACC. It was supposed to be Cuse and UConn, but because of BC, Pitt was taken. After that, when it was between UConn and Louisville, they then wanted Louisville to placate Florida State and prevent them from bolting to the B12.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately some of UConn's biggest detracter's aren't from Tobacco road but the upstate NY region near the frosty lakes and on the banks of the river Charles in Boston or BC to be more specific!!I'm pretty sure FSU and Clemson are the southern problem.How many or who else voted against UConn I wish I knew?

The best I understand it, UConn had the support of the NC schools, and, UVA. It was the football-first schools, specifically FSU and Clemson, who were most against them. Ga Tech, Miami, and, VPI sided with them. So, thats 5-5. They needed just four NO votes out of 14 for UConn to not be invited.

We all know BC and Syracuse voted no. I have not found how Pitt's vote went.

I believe that the ACC blew it BIG TIME by not adding UConn. Swofford can still bring them in, and, their hoops and Olympic sports would be a huge add. I am an optimist, and, I believe he is still working behind the scenes to make it happen.

FSU and Clemson being ranked in the Top 5 for most of the season has allayed fears that an ACC champion would not be in the hunt for the national title in football. Which is what drove the 'no' votes in the first place.

Reaction Score
I believe that the ACC blew it BIG TIME by not adding UConn. Swofford can still bring them in, and, their hoops and Olympic sports would be a huge add. I am an optimist, and, I believe he is still working behind the scenes to make it happen.

FSU and Clemson being ranked in the Top 5 for most of the season has allayed fears that an ACC champion would not be in the hunt for the national title in football. Which is what drove the 'no' votes in the first place.

Thanks. I am now hoping for a FSU national championship this January, followed by a UConn ACC invite shortly after.

Reaction Score
Thanks. I am now hoping for a FSU national championship this January, followed by a UConn ACC invite shortly after.

I am, too, Force.

FSU fans were worried that being in the ACC would prevent them from contending for the BCS CG, and, this season shows that isn't true.

I believe that as ACC football solidifies, then that will open up new opportunities to grow the basketball brand. UConn in the ACC hammers the league's position as the best into stone.

Reaction Score
With Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Miami, et al....basketball may not need augmentation

Reaction Score
With Syracuse, Duke, North Carolina, Louisville, Miami, et al....basketball may not need augmentation

That might be true. Football won't, either, since it seems Miami is well and truly on their way back to where FSU and CU already are. If the rest of the league follow their leads, we'll be fine.

I am hopeful the ACC will reconsider UConn for two reasons...content and market. They have good Olympic sports programs, and, are a stone's throw from the No 1 media market in the country. Both of which would be a positive if we ever get the ACCN going.

Reaction Score
God, I hate these ACC fan dominated threads.

Compared with what, an AAC thread dominated by non existing conference mates?

We are in a dumpster fire of a conference and the only two outs are the ACC or B1G. The chances of either taking us over the next 3 years is, well I'ld rather not say.

Reaction Score
BC hates UConn because it knows that given the opportunity, it will never ever be able to compete with UConn in recruiting, brand name, and now even academics. The Catholic schools have never been partial to UConn and BC is one of them. BC and it's former AD is responsible for keeping UConn out of the ACC. It was supposed to be Cuse and UConn, but because of BC, Pitt was taken. After that, when it was between UConn and Louisville, they then wanted Louisville to placate Florida State and prevent them from bolting to the B12.

You really know how to shovel it. Recruiting, ACADEMICS! LOL what are you smoking? competing?nobody at B.C. pays much attention with regards to anything related to U Conn thats a fact. The same can't be said for those down in Storrs. Remember the ACC does not require a unanimous yes vote when it comes to expansion, only a two thirds majority is required. THE QUESTION YOU SHOULD BE ASKING IS WHO ELSE WAS VOTING AGAINST YOU? Also for the record I have said numerous times that I support a U Conn move to the ACC and happen to feel it is a school that help enhance the conference. Please the superiority argument is unflattering and unfounded.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Boston College has no desire to see UConn in the ACC. UConn sucks the oxygen out of the region when they succeed in anything. BC has sucked monkey balls for about a decade - I'm sure the last thing they want is UConn back in their neighborhood.

Barring some sort of disaster, UConn has little chance at going to the ACC.

The southern tip, FSU, Clemson and the like, have little use and little respect for another northeastern program. The northern tip, Boston College and Syracuse have no interest in competing with Connecticut. On a level playing field, a large public school has the jump on smaller private schools.

The ACC is good enough hoopwise - they always have UNC and Duke and Syracuse and Louisville will be fine until their coaches retire. The other recent Big East transfers will do fine. The rest of the rabble will just have to show up every two or three years in rotation to keep things respectable.

Reaction Score
Fishy...I believe that you have hit it dead on....

Like you said, BC isn't itching for a competitive NE team in their back yard and the southern teams have no real interest in the NE.

If, if the ACC gave up on Notre Dame as ever becoming #15, and decided to add two more teams to get to 16, I could see a split. Adding one southern and one northeastern team.

There are not any teams left to add on the east coast that make sense other than UConn....and I could see that balanced by a southern add like UCF or USF.

Put Miami in the North and split north-south.

FSU
UCF
GT
Clemson
Virginia
Wake
NC State
Louisville

UConn
Miami
Syracuse
VT
Boston College
Pitt
North Carolina
Duke

Reaction Score
Fishy...I believe that you have hit it dead on....

Like you said, BC isn't itching for a competitive NE team in their back yard and the southern teams have no real interest in the NE.

If, if the ACC gave up on Notre Dame as ever becoming #15, and decided to add two more teams to get to 16, I could see a split. Adding one southern and one northeastern team.

There are not any teams left to add on the east coast that make sense other than UConn....and I could see that balanced by a southern add like UCF or USF.

Put Miami in the North and split north-south.

FSU
UCF
GT
Clemson
Virginia
Wake
NC State
Louisville

UConn
Miami
Syracuse
VT
Boston College
Pitt
North Carolina
Duke

Makes too much sense, therefore, it will never happen. That damn pipe dream that all leagues (currently the ACC) have about getting ND to join up just hamstrings everything.

Reaction Score
"nobody at B.C. pays much attention with regards to anything related to U Conn thats a fact."
I don't know about that. There's a BC poster on the Boneyard with over a hundred posts in a couple months...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stanfordnyc

Top Bottom