How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over | The Boneyard

How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
time in the long run.

The average college fb fan is a bit pissed off with CR and thinks that their good" old conference" and division rivalries are gone for good. Hence interest/attendance has dropped, and will continue to drop. The only savior is creating rivalries.

The ACC is the only conference which can overcome this with simple steps. i am still trying to work this out, but basically what they need to do is expand by 2 teams - UConn, and Cincy. Form an old school ACC division consisting of 8 teams : FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCS, GT, Duke, UNC, and UVA. Form a new school ACC division of 8 teams: Cuse, BCU, UM, VT, Pitt, UL, Cincy, and UConn. Thus you have two 8 divisions with huge history and rivalries. each division plays 7 games within and has 1 rotating outside division game. Or play a 9 game conference schedule with 2 floating outside division games.

Give ND 2 to 4 years to decide if they are in FB wise, if they agree then then tap one of USF/UCF/WVU as their complement expanding to 18 teams, or with an ND yes why not take all three forming a 20 team conference.

NO other conference can set up two divisions (old ACC and old BE) which reinforces huge rivalries and allows a larger conference to host a championship game and a free ticker to the 4 team NC format.

Right now the old school ACC fans (down here in NC) think the current set up is confusing and have little interest in Pitt, BCU, Cuse, etc. They long for the old ACC.

Duh - give them what they want!

Swoffort can easily have a 16 or 18 or 20 Super conference with two 8/9 or 10 team divisions that have historic rivalries and a feel of old school FB.

This is such a win/win situation it establishes this ACC as a power (maybe the power) conference and guarantees fan support for years. The southerns would love to follow the ACc division and the northerns would love to follw the old BE division. Add a conference champsionship that pips each winner against the other in FB and its gravvy.

In MBB it would be a joke. no other conference would come close. Swoffort would own NYC down to Miami.

Reaction Score
time in the long run.

The average college fb fan is a bit pissed off with CR and thinks that their good" old conference" and division rivalries are gone for good. Hence interest/attendance has dropped, and will continue to drop. The only savior is creating rivalries.

The ACC is the only conference which can overcome this with simple steps. i am still trying to work this out, but basically what they need to do is expand by 2 teams - UConn, and Cincy. Form an old school ACC division consisting of 8 teams : FSU, Clemson, Wake, NCS, GT, Duke, UNC, and UVA. Form a new school ACC division of 8 teams: Cuse, BCU, UM, VT, Pitt, UL, Cincy, and UConn. Thus you have two 8 divisions with huge history and rivalries. each division plays 7 games within and has 1 rotating outside division game. Or play a 9 game conference schedule with 2 floating outside division games.

Give ND 2 to 4 years to decide if they are in FB wise, if they agree then then tap one of USF/UCF/WVU as their complement expanding to 18 teams, or with an ND yes why not take all three forming a 20 team conference.

NO other conference can set up two divisions (old ACC and old BE) which reinforces huge rivalries and allows a larger conference to host a championship game and a free ticker to the 4 team NC format.

Right now the old school ACC fans (down here in NC) think the current set up is confusing and have little interest in Pitt, BCU, Cuse, etc. They long for the old ACC.

Duh - give them what they want!

Swoffort can easily have a 16 or 18 or 20 Super conference with two 8/9 or 10 team divisions that have historic rivalries and a feel of old school FB.

This is such a win/win situation it establishes this ACC as a power (maybe the power) conference and guarantees fan support for years. The southerns would love to follow the ACc division and the northerns would love to follw the old BE division. Add a conference champsionship that pips each winner against the other in FB and its gravvy.

In MBB it would be a joke. no other conference would come close. Swoffort would own NYC down to Miami.

I didn't read anything in your post though that addressed money.

The B1G schools get so much revenue not because they put out a great product, but because they have so many fans. And the ACC will never catch up to them.

Also, no conferences are profitable. They do have a lot of revenue though.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
If the ACC wants to become the most lucrative conference, they'll need to eliminate the PAC 12, Big 10 and SEC or find a way to invite the NFC East.

Anything short of that won't get the job done.

Reaction Score
I did say in the long run, and by the long run i mean over the next 15 years.

The B1G may well be imploding as we speak. they have seen the pinacle of their success - the next ten 10 years, as it stands, will only be weaker in terms of popularity and revenues.

The Pac 12 is a total joke, especially compared to 10 years ago. Factor in MBB and its even worse.

Yes the SEC is currently the strongest FB conference but their rivalries and popularity are getting long in tooth. For example Florida , five years ago,was the toast of the town - the best by far, and now their record is 4-4.

As Mark Cuban has mentioned many times its rivalries that drive interest. the ACC is the only conference who has the chance to bring it all together. even if Texas, Oklahome and friends join the PAC 12 does it increase your interest inthe PAC 12? I think not. A CAL versus Ok State mean NOTHING.

Seriously the old ACC loves the old ACC. And the old BE has enough pent up interest to really get excited about a VT/BCU game -in an 8/9/10 northern ACC team division schools/fans will care. Barring that type of division - NO ONE cares that BCU beat VT and is in conference 2-3 behind FSU (5-0) and behind Clemson (6-1). Its the old conferences that bring old the juices.

In regards to Fishy's post, sure the other conferences have bigger paydays eash year until their deals mature and the networks look at actual viewership, but when you stand back and think about it there are no real RIVALRY games enmasee because the conferences have gotten so out of wack with tradition. The ACC is the only one who can establish two old school divisions that WOULD get fans attention.

Reaction Score
I post this because I am A UConn fan and my scenario, if true, would put the ACC and UConn in a very enviable position. The ACC can NOT accomplish this "large conference but regional rivalry- huge fan IDENTIFICATION/INTEREST unless it take these steps.

UConn in the B1G is fine, but seriously whats the valye of a UConn/Purdue or a UConn/OSU game over the long haul compared with a UConn/BCU game or a UConn/VT game. there is definately more emotion in the old BE.

Reaction Score
Maybe I am all wet - but you tell me what share of market a network east coast double head 12 oclock UConn/BCU followed by a 3pm WVU/Pitt game would get when they are in conference important games would get under my propose CR versus a current BCU/UNC game followed by a PSU/Indiana game?

Makes you think Mr Swoffart (sp)

Reaction Score
Maybe I am all wet - but you tell me what share of market a network east coast double head 12 oclock UConn/BCU followed by a 3pm WVU/Pitt game would get when they are in conference important games would get under my propose CR versus a current BCU/UNC game followed by a PSU/Indiana game?

In general, the East Coast doesn't care as much as the midwest does.

Reaction Score
I The B1G may well be imploding as we speak. they have seen the pinacle of their success - the next ten 10 years, as it stands, will only be weaker in terms of popularity and revenues.

Ooh, yeah. Um, I'm going to have to go ahead and sort of disagree with you there.

bosses-lumbergh-435051713.jpg

There is no question that conference realignment has eliminated great rivalries and left schools that deserve to be within the power conference structure, such as UConn, on the outside looking in. I think the ACC is a great conference and that college athletics benefits from a strong East Coast conference. I respect and understand your desire for an ACC invite and if that is the best fit for UConn I hope it comes to fruition for you. However, "the B1G may well be imploding as we speak. they have seen the pinacle of their success - the next ten 10 years, as it stands, will only be weaker in terms of popularity and revenues." You make a passionate argument for UConn in the ACC but include that statement? :rolleyes:

The Big Ten conference traces it history back almost 120 years. Its membership includes universities that are all aligned together as research oriented institutions. It will stretch from the Mid Atlantic across the Midwest. As of 2010, the Big Ten led all conferences with 4.4 million living alumni from its 11 institutions. As of 2010, undergraduate enrollment for the 11 Big Ten institutions totaled over 300,000, the most of any other conference. The addition of Nebraska and soon Maryland and Rutgers will significantly increase those numbers. The Big Ten is about to engage in negotiations for a new media agreement that will increase exposure and revenue for the conference. I recognize that this is your board. I am a guest. I have no desire to engage in an argument about who is the better school or has the better conference. If you have no interest or respect for the Big Ten so be it. However, I cannot let a claim that the Big Ten is imploding and losing popularity and losing revenue go unchallenged. I am confident that the Big Ten will be just fine and remain a successful academic and athletic conference.

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
Maybe I am all wet...

Finally, you make sense.

Your scenarios are off the wall.

The Big Ten distributed about $10M more to their members this year than the ACC did - that gap is going to grow like a grease fire over the next five or ten years.

Reaction Score
I have favored the B1G over the ACC as a more logical destination.
But from a strategic standpoint if the ACC added Cinn and UConn. That would be an incredible move.
Cinn Louisville and Pitt extend the ACC into the midwest
preventing the Big 12 from giving WV any help.
Adding UConn weakens the Big 10 strategy of New York
It actually gives the ACC a legitimate New York team
Somebody should get with Delaney ASAP. So he can grab us before its too late.
It also makes the AAC pretty much a non player in the Northeast.
That move would hurt three competing conferences.

Reaction Score
The B1G Network has been very successful over the past 5-7 years because its conference had been very good. But just like urban meyer has shunned the traditional recruiting grounds of OSU and recuits primarlily in FLA shows you that the B1G is on borrowed time. The ACC right now has the abitlty to send a more of less killer blow to the B1G by tapping UConn and Cincy and if ND wants to joins one of UCF/USF).

IOts all about tomorrow and the next day and I GUARANTEE an ACC with Cincy and UConn actually puts the B1G in very tough ground.

Now tapping Texas or Oklahoma helps any conference but realistically they I tink they go go west.

Fishy -Yes right now the B1G has more tv monsy because their alumni like the network, but that was against a imploding BE and a sketchy ACC. Now that the ACCis GOR strong, and if Swoffart makes one more (killer move meaning UConn/Cincy or UConn/WVU) the b1G will have seriuos future trouble.

I actuaaly am surprised that the ACC does not pull the Uconn/Cincy move right now, and/or get tough with ND and insist on a ND fb decision with a FLA school to jpin with them -it would create a solid number 2 Conferecne behind the SEC, and after 5-7 years with ACc bb, and baseball actually challenge th e SEC for dominance.

Reaction Score
If the ACC wants to become the most lucrative conference, they'll need to eliminate the PAC 12, Big 10 and SEC or find a way to invite the NFC East.

Anything short of that won't get the job done.

Right now, with the current fb rankings, you think the PAC 12 and Big 10 are above the ACC in FB? Any comment on the BB field?

Fishy

Elite Premium Poster
Reaction Score
The Big Ten and ACC both played six games today -- the Big Ten put about 130,000 more asses in the seats than the ACC did. (And that was without Michigan or Ohio State home games and a truly sketchy attendance figure of 50,000+ at Georgia Tech.) The combined crowds for Va-Tech vs Boston College and Wake vs Syracuse were less than the box office for Iowa's game against Wisconsin.

The rankings this week are meaningless, but to be a sport, I took a gander. The Big Ten has four ranked teams, the ACC and Pac 12 have three each. And I looked at the teams the Big 1o and noticed that they seem to have three or four true bluebloods like Michigan, Ohio State, Nebraska and Penn State. Then I looked at the ACC's roster and I saw Florida State and, well, no one.

So, yeah, I think the Big Ten and Pac 12 are above the ACC because, well, they are. You're way off the reservation on this one.

Reaction Score
The B1G Network has been very successful over the past 5-7 years because its conference had been very good. But just like urban meyer has shunned the traditional recruiting grounds of OSU and recuits primarlily in FLA shows you that the B1G is on borrowed time. The ACC right now has the abitlty to send a more of less killer blow to the B1G by tapping UConn and Cincy and if ND wants to joins one of UCF/USF).

IOts all about tomorrow and the next day and I GUARANTEE an ACC with Cincy and UConn actually puts the B1G in very tough ground.

Now tapping Texas or Oklahoma helps any conference but realistically they I tink they go go west.

Fishy -Yes right now the B1G has more tv monsy because their alumni like the network, but that was against a imploding BE and a sketchy ACC. Now that the ACCis GOR strong, and if Swoffart makes one more (killer move meaning UConn/Cincy or UConn/WVU) the b1G will have seriuos future trouble.

I actuaaly am surprised that the ACC does not pull the Uconn/Cincy move right now, and/or get tough with ND and insist on a ND fb decision with a FLA school to jpin with them -it would create a solid number 2 Conferecne behind the SEC, and after 5-7 years with ACc bb, and baseball actually challenge th e SEC for dominance.
Have you gone over to SU's or BCs board and tested/aired out your hypothesis on actual ACC members?How about FSU or Clemson's boards? Best see what the rank and file ACC fan thinks of your idea of helping them out no?Let me know how they feel about it.btw,I love your enthusiasm!

Reaction Score
The rankings this week are meaningless, but to be a sport, I took a gander. \

ok i am going of this current week's top 10, week 10 poll, and i see 3 ACC teams. 1B1G, and 2 PAC 12 = your point regarding the reservation is?

Not trying to get conferentational but this year the ACC top Tyler Phommachanh bottom probably is better than B1G and PAC 12.

My overriding point is majpr college FB better start stressing rivalries over thw next 3-6 yrs or they will be in trouble. amd the ACC, due to its BE acquisition history has an advanrage if they are smart enought to play that card. ie no B1G team really gets a fan badse charge out of playing nebraska = they really dont

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
The ACC has better rivalries than the B1G? Are you joking?

Have you ever heard of the Old Oaken Bucket? How about the Little Brown Jug? The Floyd Rosedale Trophy? The Illibuck Trophy? The Paul Bunyan Trophy? The Purdue Cannon?

All except the last two have been around longer than the ACC (the original ACC) while the last two have been around since before the ACC completed its second season.

Reaction Score
Curious what those great BE football rivalries are that would be recaptured by adding UConn and Cinci to the ACC? Louisville v. Cinci is about the only rivalry game that was lost, and I'm fairly confident that no one outside of a portion of alumni from either school gives a crap if the Keg of Nails rivalry is ever restored.

If those NC fans you referenced are unhappy/have no interest in BC, SU, and Pitt, I can't even imagine what emotion they'd be feeling with adding Cinci sand UConn into the mix.

Reaction Score
The B1G Network has been very successful over the past 5-7 years because its conference had been very good. But just like urban meyer has shunned the traditional recruiting grounds of OSU and recuits primarlily in FLA shows you that the B1G is on borrowed time.

Wrong.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/football/recruiting/commitments/2013/ohiostate-33 2 out of 24 from Florida; 10 out of 24 from Ohio.
http://rivals.yahoo.com/ohiostate/football/recruiting/commitments/2014/ohiostate-33 0 out of 18 from Florida thus far; 6 out 18 from Ohio thus far.
Meyer will continue to recruit the best of Ohio that fit his system - e.g. Marshon Lattimore and Erick Smith of Cleveland Glanville HS remain targets for 2014 - along with looking at other recruiting grounds.
Tressel and Cooper also recruited from California, Florida and Texas.

Reaction Score
The ACC right now has the abitlty to send a more of less killer blow to the B1G by tapping UConn and Cincy and if ND wants to joins one of UCF/USF).

"Send a killer blow" :rolleyes:
Wrong.
Have you also considered the possibility that if ND wants to join the ACC in football that Navy or Cincinnati may be tapped as team #16?
Have you also considered the possibility that if ND does not want to join the ACC in football but the Big 12 does implode the ACC may tap Cincinnati and West Virginia, to reunite with Pitt and Virginia Tech, as teams #15 and #16?

Reaction Score
ie no B1G team really gets a fan badse charge out of playing nebraska = they really dont

Wrong.
Ohio State v Nebraska = huge interest.
Michigan v Nebraska = huge interest.
Penn State v Nebraska = huge interest.
Wisconsin v Nebraska = huge interest.

Reaction Score

ND will likely tell them "no". There is no mechanism to allow the ACC to force ND to join in football.

Reaction Score
The B1G may well be imploding as we speak. they have seen the pinacle of their success - the next ten 10 years, as it stands, will only be weaker in terms of popularity and revenues.

You need to give the B1G is on its death bed a rest.
The ACC is a great conference and will dominate in basketball and push the SEC in football and UConn would be a great addition.
However ... your argument loses credibility when you are essentially advising the B1G to consult hospice.
The B1G will remain a successful academic and athletic conference and is in no jeopardy regardless of how the ACC moves forward.

FfldCntyFan

Texas: Property of UConn Men's Basketball program
Reaction Score
Reaction Score

HFD?

Reaction Score
Alcohol does distort perception, and I certainly moved off topic quickly. Taking a shot at the B1G was folly. The desperation that UConn fans have does cloud judgement.

What I meant to offer was I think most College FB fans do miss the smaller conferences that existed in the past before big money took control. I think the ACC could very easily expand to 16+ and establish the old line ACC schools as one division and the old BE teams as the other. This might appease the traditional fan base because they would be very familiar with their "old conference teams and history of prior game experience".

B1GAlum - Perhaps I am mistaken but I had heard that Urban Meyer had upset some Ohio HS coaches because he mentioned OSU would have to recruit more southern players. I do see, although its early, that for 2013 Ohio commits represent 33% (6/18) whereas historically its above 50% - just saying.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom