How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How the ACC could become the 1st or 2nd most profitable conference over

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I'll also say this billybud: the ACC is rightfully positioning itself as the ultimate basketball conference. It should. It has it over the B1G right now. But if the B1G were to add UConn, then the B1G would have the very slight edge. And if the B1G were to somehow add both Kansas and UConn, the ACC's days as the best conference would be over.

The ACC could not compete against this (* bluechip):

B1G:
Indiana*
Kansas*
UConn*
Michigan St.*
Michigan*
Ohio St.*
Maryland*
Illinois
Wisconsin

And these three teams have been OK historically:
Purdue
Minnesota
Iowa

Bad teams:
Nebraska
Penn State
Rutgers
Northwestern

Compare to the ACC:
UNC*
Duke*
Louisville*
Syracuse*
NC State*
Pitt
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Notre Dame

OK:
Florida St.
Miami
Boston College
Virginia

Bad:
Clemson
Virginia Tech

7 blue chips in the B1G to 5 in the ACC.

Reaction Score
I'll also say this billybud: the ACC is rightfully positioning itself as the ultimate basketball conference. It should. It has it over the B1G right now. But if the B1G were to add UConn, then the B1G would have the very slight edge. And if the B1G were to somehow add both Kansas and UConn, the ACC's days as the best conference would be over.

The ACC could not compete against this ( bluechip):

B1G:
Indiana*
Kansas*
UConn*
Michigan St.
Michigan*
Ohio St.
Maryland*
Illinois
Wisconsin

And these three teams have been OK historically:
Purdue
Minnesota
Iowa

Bad teams:
Nebraska
Penn State
Rutgers
Northwestern

Compare to the ACC:
UNC*
Duke*
Louisville*
Syracuse*
NC State*
Pitt
Georgia Tech
Wake Forest
Notre Dame

OK:
Florida St.
Miami
Boston College
Virginia

Bad:
Clemson
Virginia Tech

7 blue chips in the B1G to 5 in the ACC.

Well...The ACC has pretty much owned the Big Ten-ACC annual challenge...Uconn and Maryland would be added for the B1G...while Louisville and Cuse get added for the ACC...

I don't really see the big difference.

Reaction Score
Well...The ACC has pretty much owned the Big Ten-ACC annual challenge...Uconn and Maryland would be added for the B1G...while Louisville and Cuse get added for the ACC...

Just for the sake of accuracy, the ACC hasn't won a Big Ten-ACC challenge since 2008.

Tied 6-6 last year, lost 8-4 in 2011, lost 6-5 in 2010, lost 6-5 in 2009. They had a nice run before that though.

Reaction Score

Kansas... and the fact that the B1G is already starting from a deeper bench. The ACC has had 2 stellar teams at the top for many years. But the other ACC teams haven't done anything much until adding Louisville.

Reaction Score
The thing about the nation and the ACC, I think...is that basketball isn't that big in the southeast compared to the Northeast.

Football is king below North Carolina and baseball gives basketball a run for their money. Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida...are football and baseball territory.

Reaction Score
The thing about the nation and the ACC, I think...is that basketball isn't that big in the southeast compared to the Northeast.

Football is king below North Carolina and baseball gives basketball a run for their money. Alabama, South Carolina, Georgia, Mississippi, Florida...are football and baseball territory.

Ah, the dead sports.

Reaction Score
Not down here....nor in Texas.

When worlds collide....I know hockey is a big sport up that way. But hockey may come in after beach volleyball down here, and maybe ahead of badmitton...although that isn't a given.

Reaction Score
Ah, the dead sports.

Which sports? You included football?

Maybe at UConn. It looks like basketball has always been UConn's primary sport. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately, I am old enough to remember sitting through 0-11, 3-8 years at my alma mater....it took hiring Bobby Bowden (the equivalent of yelling "clear" and firing the paddles) to pull FSU out of its near death experience.

At that darkest hour, I remember wondering if it could be turned around. Three years later Bobby was undefeated and playing Oklahoma in the Orange Bowl.

Hiring a good coach and recruiting some stand out athletes can turn a program around.

Reaction Score
Conference shmonference....Who cares?

It really isn't like the SEC everywhere is it? With fans cheering SEC-SEC-SEC.

The ACC is just really a place for my team to play...as long as my team can play on the national stage, have some good games with a national audience, and have an environment that excites fans and draws athletes, I could care less about conference rah-rah.

Just let me continue to enjoy rivalry games with UF, Miami, and Clemson. What do we in Tallahassee have to do with Syracuse, Pitt, or Boston College anyway?

Reaction Score
Which sports? You included football?

Maybe at UConn. It looks like basketball has always been UConn's primary sport. Not that there is anything wrong with that.

Football and Baseball: DOWNSWING
Basketball and Soccer: UPSWING
HOCKEY: Mulletmania

Reaction Score
Yeah...I'm a soccer guy. Too old to play now and I have hung up my coaching whistle. I gave up officiating after having my knee cleaned out a couple of years ago. But we watch soccer.

But football isn't in a downswing (well, maybe in Storrs)...more folks then ever watch it...just on HD TV's rather than from the stands.

Women's soccer is big and growing support (just not a lot of sideline fans).

The ACC has always been tough in soccer (my son played for an ACC school). He is currently in a leg cast from an ACL tear from coaching on field during a scrimmage.

Reaction Score
Conference shmonference....Who cares?

It really isn't like the SEC everywhere is it? With fans cheering SEC-SEC-SEC.

The ACC is just really a place for my team to play...as long as my team can play on the national stage, have some good games with a national audience, and have an environment that excites fans and draws athletes, I could care less about conference rah-rah.

Just let me continue to enjoy rivalry games with UF, Miami, and Clemson. What do we in Tallahassee have to do with Syracuse, Pitt, or Boston College anyway?
"What do we in the south care about SU,BC and Pitt?"...On that I completely agree in reverse,I don't care much how FSU ,GT or N.C.ST are doing...CR is destroying what was always the strength of CFB!!Regional rivals just makes more sense and costs less. We could always test our strengths in OOC and bowl games against teams from other regions !And the WV move is really far-fetched 1,000 miles from most every other conference mate !?! I can't understand how even the ACC in rough times in FB could take a pass on them but later take in L'ville ?I guess yr to yr priorities change?It seems to have had an adverse effect on WVU so far.

Reaction Score
I do NOT think that football is dying at all....

"ABC televised the two most-viewed college football games of the week Saturday, Nov. 2, led by Saturday Night Football Presented by Windows – Florida State defeating Miami 41-14 – which averaged 8,354,000 viewers and a 5.1 rating. That helped ABC win the night among households, viewers, and all key men and adult demographics.

ABC’s coverage of Michigan State beating Michigan 29-6, Saturday at 3:30 p.m. ET, was the second most-viewed game of the week, averaging 5,169,000 viewers and a 3.3 rating. The final rating for ABC’s noon coverage of Wisconsin over Iowa and Boston College defeating Virginia Tech will be available on Thursday.

ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 & ESPNU Audience Growth Led by Double-Digit Increases for Saturday Night Football
The ABC Saturday Night Football series is posting double-digit audience growth over last year at the same point, averaging 6,356,000 viewers and a 3.8 rating for increases of 18 percent (vs. 5,405,000) and 15 percent (vs. 3.3) over 2012.

Through week 10, college football game telecasts are generating larger audiences across ABC, ESPN, ESPN2 and ESPNU in the 2013 season than the same point in 2012:

Reaction Score
I think he is talking about the amount of kid's playing the sports. Not the television popularity.
Your right...mothers especially in middle class and up regions won't allow their kids to play FB anymore in HS !People are getting educated (and a bit soft) to the adverse effects of head injuries though I think it could be just as bad in other sports that just don't get the exposure? How about Rugby where they don't even use helmets?Do they have similar problems?

Reaction Score
I think he is talking about the amount of kid's playing the sports. Not the television popularity.

Oh...I agree about number of kids playing (up to about age 16 and then it just dies off). We have pee wee football...but the numbers of kids playing soccer is vastly more. But not as many as the scores of kids baseball teams and various leagues. But at the middle school level, some smaller Florida schools field football teams and kids start developing for high school football.

Funny though...soccer will never be a go-to television sport for most of us. Even my son, who ate, played and slept soccer for most of his life, says that he loves to play soccer but watch football. And I think that is what has been happening...kids playing soccer has not equated to more fans watching soccer on the TV or fields.

As we become more populated by Hispanic culture, that may shift...but not in my lifetime.

Reaction Score

The state of North Carolina is just as FB crazy as any other Southern state. Just not at UNC or Duke. Although, its slightly better than it has been at both places.

UNC's stubborn refusal to embrace what a good FB program could mean to the university is just maddening. Why the PTBs in Chapel Hill cannot understand that they're throwing away a potential goldmine in football is beyond me.

Oh, and NC IS baseball territory, too.

Reaction Score
"What do we in the south care about SU,BC and Pitt?"...On that I completely agree in reverse,I don't care much how FSU ,GT or N.C.ST are doing...CR is destroying what was always the strength of CFB!!Regional rivals just makes more sense and costs less. We could always test our strengths in OOC and bowl games against teams from other regions !And the WV move is really far-fetched 1,000 miles from most every other conference mate !?! I can't understand how even the ACC in rough times in FB could take a pass on them but later take in L'ville ?I guess yr to yr priorities change?It seems to have had an adverse effect on WVU so far.

Nicky, both WVU and VPI were in the original Southern Conference, which at one time included all of the original members of both the ACC and SEC. The best I understand it, neither were very good conference mates, and, thats why both were passed over for membership in the original ACC.

And, had VA Gov Mark Warner not pulled a power play with UVA to get VPI into the ACC, they would still be on the outside looking in, just like WVU is.

Reaction Score
Nicky, both WVU and VPI were in the original Southern Conference, which at one time included all of the original members of both the ACC and SEC. The best I understand it, neither were very good conference mates, and, thats why both were passed over for membership in the original ACC.

And, had VA Gov Mark Warner not pulled a power play with UVA to get VPI into the ACC, they would still be on the outside looking in, just like WVU is.

Actually it was John Casteen at UVA that pushed for VPI before Mark Warner had any idea that the discussions about expansion were even going on in the ACC. I hate that Mark Warner is given credit for making that happen when it was happening before he even got involved. He takes credit like most politicians for something he didn't even do.

John Casteen and Charles Steger at Virginia Tech built a great relationship with eash other and often worked together to lobby the General Assembly to get things for the public universities in the state.

Reaction Score

I don't know where WVU was on the ACC's list. Had they not gone to the Big 12 when they did, the ACC might have taken them instead of Louisville. The Pitt-WVU rivalry would have been good for the conference. Timing was everything on the Louisville deal. The ACC wasn't looking to expand, but when Maryland left they had to replace them.

Today it really does appear that WVU is in the wrong conference.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom