How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn?

How long does Ollie have left?

• Out before next season

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gets dreaded vote of confidence but out after this year

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • If he gets this team to 20 wins it buys him another year

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • Plays out the 5 year contract

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Retires here

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Ollie gets a full 5 years until the end of his contract.

Reactions: pj
Reaction Score
You say these losses are unacceptable. What, in your mind, is the appropriate consequence for such a loss?

Obviously a lifetime contract for KO, participation trophies for all the players, and a nice cushy seat for you to place atop your soapbox so you can be comfortable as you lecture everyone as if you were the be all, end all of fandom.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that Ollie could very well be a successful NBA coach and that it better fits both his philosophy and his approach. I've said for a while that he approaches the season like an NBA coach. Win enough to get a decent seed in the league tournament then try to win from there on. You can do that in the NBA and maybe the ACC but not in our league. His offensive approach is an NBA style too. That style is not used by successful college teams. Even successful NBA teams are getting away from it.

LoveMeSomeUC

"My point being" James A. Calhoun
Reaction Score
Damn near lost to Loyola Marymount too. And I believe we were in a tie game with Chaminade as late at 10 minutes through the second half.
Adding to your point about Chaminade...this season was such a disaster that we as husky fans all year counted the Chaminade game as a win...even though the ncaa doesn't...(D II)

Reaction Score
So the team wasn't going to gel and improve as the year went on. Got it, Nostradamus.
Maybe they should have gel'ed enough in the preseason to beat those schools..... no? You must be related to Ollie. Yes they will improve although not so much over the last three season. The problem with your pass on being losers and getting better is they may have costed them selves an at large bid after two games into the season. #makeuconngreatagain

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Yeah said:
Munster, I liked your post except this meme always bothers me. Do you mean the historically successful team of 2012?
Or when Ollie inherited Kemba, Roscoe, Lamb and Andre?

Even Bazz had a good freshman year followed by a much lesser sophomore year.
Our bench was deeper in 2012 But graduation and 5 guys taking off depleted that and Ollie was left with the ban and reduced scholarships to deal with.

Everyone left on Ollie's team was far more talented for Ollie than Calhoun (except Tyler)

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Obviously a lifetime contract for KO, participation trophies for all the players, and a nice cushy seat for you to place atop your soapbox so you can be comfortable as you lecture everyone as if you were the be all, end all of fandom.
Post/pic/handle

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Maybe they should have gel'ed enough in the preseason to beat those schools..... no? You must be related to Ollie. Yes they will improve although not so much over the last three season. The problem with your pass on being losers and getting better is they may have costed them selves an at large bid after two games into the season. #makeuconngreatagain

Post/pic?

Reaction Score
Ollie gets a full 5 years until the end of his contract.
You don't really believe this do you? If he has 2 more .500 seasons in a row, he will coach 3 more after that? Whoa.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
I see what you're saying, but let me be a little clearer.

I think at UConn the floor for a "good season" should consist of a Top 3 finish in AAC regular season, with an overall body of work to reach the NCAAs as a seed of say 5-7 (avoid the 1 seed in round 2).

If they put up a borderline NIT year, but players show improvement, consistency improves, but we finish with 14-16 wins (similar to this year) I think you have no choice but to look towards 2018/2019.

What I'm saying is if the wheels completely come off, then you really need to take a look at the Head Coach.
Sounds really good. But given the current roster what is your player to player expectations?
Or are you expecting that getting Harris and a decent big (Sondra, Enis) is a given?

Because otherwise all you are doing is setting KO up to fail next season.

I'd prefer waiting two seasons to see what type of recruits KO and company bring in for 2018 and see how those recruits develop. But that's just me.

C

Chief00

you have to give the guy credit too - you don't see UConn kids in the paper for embarrassing reasons anymore. By all accounts they seem to be good university citizens and taking care of business in the classroom.

The good citizens and putting the classroom on a pedestal days - are Officially Over! Back to winning basketball as a priority!

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
Sounds really good. But given the current roster what is your player to player expectations?
Or are you expecting that getting Harris and a decent big (Sondra, Enis) is a given?

Because otherwise all you are doing is setting KO up to fail next season.

I'd prefer waiting two seasons to see what type of recruits KO and company bring in for 2018 and see how those recruits develop. But that's just me.

KO set KO up to fail. The guy has been our head coach for 5 years, but now we have to wait another 4 years to judge him? By this logic, Diaco should have had at least 10 years to prove himself here.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
KO set KO up to fail. The guy has been our head coach for 5 years, but now we have to wait another 4 years to judge him? By this logic, Diaco should have had at least 10 years to prove himself here.
When did Bob win a NC against hall of fame coaches?

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score

This is no defense of FHCBD, but it's not exactly like he had a HOF coach hand him a stocked team that was ready to go. KO coached them well, but let's not pretend what BD and KO walked into was even remotely comparable.

Bonehead

'Ollie North of the Cesspool'
Reaction Score
I would agree Kevin Ollie is on par with Jim Harrick, Tubby Smith, Gary Williams and Jim Boeheim.

Difference being - and I have not fully vetted myself - those coaches recruited the players and coached them to a championships.

Reaction Score
I would agree Kevin Ollie is on par with Jim Harrick, Tubby Smith, Gary Williams and Jim Boeheim.

Difference being - and I have not fully vetted myself - those coaches recruited the players and coached them to a championships.

They also all had really high end recruits when they won the championships. Not sure any of them had guys like Giffey, Daniels, Olander, Nolan, Brimah, Kromah as a core of their championship instead they had studs coming out of HS. Besides Shabazz and Boat none of them played a key role in any of Calhouns years instead they were coached a full year under KO's tutelage with nothing to play for and won 20 games under APR rules then won a NC. Pretty sure I know which championship is the most impressive coaching job of the names mentioned any that think otherwise would be ignorant!

pj

Reaction Score
Too much childishness on this thread. Life is full of ups and downs for even the best of us. You can lead 6 companies to bankruptcy and become a billionaire and president of the United States. You can lead a team to 16-17 seasons and national championships. In the end, you have to make a judgment about character and talent. KO has both. That means we stick with him through the ups and downs.

Reaction Score
Too much childishness on this thread. Life is full of ups and downs for even the best of us. You can lead 6 companies to bankruptcy and become a billionaire and president of the United States. You can lead a team to 16-17 seasons and national championships. In the end, you have to make a judgment about character and talent. KO has both. That means we stick with him through the ups and downs.
Becoming something and then being successful at it are 2 different things. "KO is the very successful coach of the University of Connecticut". That currently is not a completely true statement.

Reaction Score
I'm of the opinion that Ollie could very well be a successful NBA coach and that it better fits both his philosophy and his approach. I've said for a while that he approaches the season like an NBA coach. Win enough to get a decent seed in the league tournament then try to win from there on. You can do that in the NBA and maybe the ACC but not in our league. His offensive approach is an NBA style too. That style is not used by successful college teams. Even successful NBA teams are getting away from it.
So he's not trying to win every game?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom