How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn? | Page 2 | The Boneyard

How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn?

How long does Ollie have left?

• Out before next season

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gets dreaded vote of confidence but out after this year

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • If he gets this team to 20 wins it buys him another year

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • Plays out the 5 year contract

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Retires here

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Better question:

Let's say you all get your wish and he's forced out. How long do you give the next coach to have us at the top of the conference, ranked for most of the year, regularly making the second weekend of the tournament, and sending multiple guys to the NBA?
You mean all the things that KO isn't presently doing.

Reaction Score
You would have to give him 5 years or so. A full recruiting class I would think.

The things you listed have never occurred under Ollie. We've never been at the top of the conference, ranked the entire year (2014 we were ranked probably between 60-80% of the year), only made the second weekend once, and he's only had Shabazz land in the NBA - and that might end soon.

So if we could hire a guy to do what you listed I would sign up for that. I just want consistency.
I wouldn't really call SN a KO recruit. He was recruited and brought here by JC.

Reaction Score
And what if that doesn't occur from 2018-23? On to the next guy?
Well obviously we have other things to worry about than who are coach is as we would have fallen from the elites of college basketball.

Reaction Score
Yeah and if he wins a national championship with Benedict Arnold and Atilla the Hun in the backcourt and John Wayne Gasey,
it's hard to clean up on the glass when you're weighed down by a clown suit.

Reaction Score
Better question:

Let's say you all get your wish and he's forced out. How long do you give the next coach to have us at the top of the conference, ranked for most of the year, regularly making the second weekend of the tournament, and sending multiple guys to the NBA?

My wish is for the program to return to national prominence instead of withering away into irrelevance. Whether KO is the guy to do that or not is irrelevant to what my wish is.

But to answer your question, if KO is canned, the next guy gets 3-4 years, as is standard. By next year KO will have had 3-4 years post-sanctions to put his stamp on this program.

In terms of the OP question, they're not going to get rid of him now, but there are major questions going into next year. Here's what I think for next year.

10-20, dumpster-fire type year: Fired after this year
Near .500, maybe NIT: Not fired, but clearly on the hot seat for 2019, with the expectation of being Top 25 or he's gone
Above .500, bubble team, new guys show promise: Off the hot seat, but would be right back on in 2019/2020 if that team doesn't get back to the Top 25
AAC contender and clearly in the NCAAT field: Great confidence in KO and he should easily achieve the Top 25 in 2019 goal

Reaction Score
What if the next guy can't do it either?
We have to hold coaches accountable eventually. I mean it is nice KO won a championship and is a UCONN guy. He probably realistically has 2 years to turn it around unless things just implode next year.

Reaction Score

Do you really have to ask that? 4 years is enough time to know if you have the right coach or not, and if he isn't right, you keep going until you find the right one. Now, in Ollie's case, he won a title right away so that affords him more leeway, but I don't see how anyone can possibly feel good about the current state of this program. Ollie has to prove himself again, and it feels like it will have to happen pretty quickly or it may not happen at all.

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Probably. Look at all the top programs who bounce around coaches.

UNC had Doherty and Guthridge before getting Roy Williams for the long haul.

Kentucky had Gillespie and you could argue Smith was a transition period.

Indiana still hasn't come up with an answer since Knight.

It's a double-edged sword but if the ship is sinking do we stay with it because of our loyalty to the alumni-coach? 2017/2018 will answer a lot of these questions.

Reaction Score
To stay long-term he has to show improvements in areas we have seen deficient - slow starts, development, team rebounding, body language etc. He started at UConn as a first time head coach - and he deserves those expectations - but you can't discount the fact that the guy has to have a learning curve. The next couple seasons will show if all of this is going to be lessons learned or true deficiencies as a coach

Reaction Score
Better question:

I'd give him sooner than Ollie would...

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
You failed to mention how KO contributed significantly to this short rotation by leaving 2 schollies unfilled and sticking by two kids with significant knee issues.
Good , fair points and I did mention that on other threads. That's an error that can't be repeated and maybe the kids that left were also told that KO would fill every available spot due to what happened this season.

Reaction Score
The "gut the program no more BS" narrative is wishful thinking. Nobody wants to lose players with valuable minutes under their belt and no upgrade prospects to take their spots . No, there is more here. What you have are kids walking because they believed they are on a slow boat to nowhere under KO.

Reaction Score
Anything less than a NCAA tournament bid, he should be gone.

Reaction Score
Yeah and if he wins a national championship with Benedict Arnold and Atilla the Hun in the backcourt and John Wayne Gasey, the Unibomber and Darth Vadar in the front court nobody will give a damn that they aren't "good citizens." You guys are unbelievable sometimes. Half of you made excuses for Miles Williams and Price but now are so proud of Ollie because his players aren't thrives and possibly rapists. If they are and he wins the excuses will be out in full force again.
I really like "the Huns" toughness but he's way to foul prone

Reaction Score
I believe in sticking with Ko for the long term. If he had to change the process of recruiting and change done of the kids-- I'm behind him. It's always disappointing when someone leaves early or transfers and we were hit hard. That being said-- let's move forward get behind KO.

Reaction Score
I'd take Chris Mack or Dan Hurley in a minute. Either would gladly take a pay raise. You put either of these guys in UConn and they will have the garbage dump cleaned up. We need organization, discipline and commitment to execution of fundamentals not AAU style pickup ball with a favorite son at the helm.

Reaction Score
Good , fair points and I did mention that on other threads. That's an error that can't be repeated and maybe the kids that left were also told that KO would fill every available spot due to what happened this season.
Yeah, I thought I had seen that from you somewhere. One of the two was obviously left open in the event Diallo reclassified but just no reason not to get even one more guard to take pressure off the other 3 guys. I agree it can't be repeated but with 5 open spots in April, it will be interesting to see if we can use all scholarships on high quality players.

Reaction Score
20 minute replies aside, it is a worthy question... The optimist in me is thinking that KO said clean house and that he is going to do this his way. That, unfortunately, means that he is getting rid of a lot of talent with the faith that Chill... can bring in some studs to right the ship. But if we have another .500 season, does he get fired?

So...

A) KO supporters, if we go 16-17 again next year, does that mean his time is up?
B) KO "bashers" if this team, that seems fairly bereft of talent on paper, goes 19-13 does he get a vote of confidence?

A) The discussion needs to be had no doubt.
B) Oh crap i can't answer this one but there will be plenty

Hans Sprungfeld

Undecided
Reaction Score
Sometimes I wish there were dislike buttons here. Ollie is not going anywhere. I wish the fans who do nothing but complain would go somewhere, but unfortunately we can't get rid of them.

I've sent 34 to Ignoreland already, and that's just because I haven't taken anything in the last month seriously enough to care about adding more. The buffet offerings need not include the food from uncleared plates.

Reactions: pj

Horatio

Cohesion is the Key
Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought I had seen that from you somewhere. One of the two was obviously left open in the event Diallo reclassified but just no reason not to get even one more guard to take pressure off the other 3 guys. I agree it can't be repeated but with 5 open spots in April, it will be interesting to see if we can use all scholarships on high quality players.
I'm waiting to see how a "top recruiter" repairs our damaged roster. It's a dramatic story within it self. Dr. Chillious has to fly across country and do immediate emergency surgery in order to save a dying ,Top program. Must see drama

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vincent22

Top Bottom