How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn?

How long does Ollie have left?

• Out before next season

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gets dreaded vote of confidence but out after this year

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • If he gets this team to 20 wins it buys him another year

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • Plays out the 5 year contract

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Retires here

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
UConn losing at Gampel to Wagner and Northeastern is unacceptable no matter how you slice it.

I'm looking forward to your reaction to Ollie's replacement's first WTF loss.

Reaction Score

It would be the same.

You seem to think people have a vendetta against KO. That's not remotely the case.

People have legitimately high expectations for this program, which was one of the top 5 in the nation over the last 20 years of the JC era.

Whether it's KO or whether it's someone else who returns us to that level is immaterial.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
It would be the same.

You seem to think people have a vendetta against KO. That's not remotely the case.

People have legitimately high expectations for this program, which was one of the top 5 in the nation over the last 20 years of the JC era.

Whether it's KO or whether it's someone else who returns us to that level is immaterial.

"JC era"

If you guys are looking for someone to match the masterwork of the single greatest coach in the history of the sport, you will be disappointed for the rest of your lives.

Reaction Score
"JC era"

If you guys are looking for someone to match the masterwork of the single greatest coach in the history of the sport, you will be disappointed for the rest of your lives.

What's your point? That we should lower our sights? Be OK being just another program, like a Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Stanford?

Why should we not demand more?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score

Like @Tenspro2002 said, I want Ollie to succeed here particularly because he is a legacy Husky.

That doesn't mean he should get a lifetime pass either. Nobody is bigger than the program.

Why do you always talk in hyperbole? Nobody expects another Calhoun. As stated dozens of times, competing for AAC Regular Season/Tournament championships and being an NCAA Tournament team more often than not are the floor; that's not crazy.

Reaction Score
UConn losing at Gampel to Wagner and Northeastern is unacceptable no matter how you slice it.
Damn near lost to Loyola Marymount too. And I believe we were in a tie game with Chaminade as late at 10 minutes through the second half.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
What's your point? That we should lower our sights? Be OK being just another program, like a Cincinnati, Vanderbilt, Minnesota, Stanford?

Why should we not demand more?

Because some of us are multi-generation fans whose families packed the fieldhouse back when the program had to play Maine and UVM as part of its conference slate (which always makes me laugh when people whine about that - are you guys fans of UConn basketball, or of the other teams in the league?). We are fans of UConn not as a means to an end, but as an end in and of itself. Being one of the best programs in the nation under JC was something we all enjoyed very much, and we would like the program to return to a similar perch, but doing so is not a condition of our fandom. We all want success and are frustrated when it doesn't come, but some of us happen to not feel that near-perfection is our birthright. You and at least a dozen other people are only here because UConn started winning championships and sending guys to the lottery, with absolutely zero respect for where the program came from or how miraculous it was that we went from competing with America East schools to going toe-to-toe with Duke and UK over a ~20-year span. This program has been blessed with a rise unlike anything before it, and will never be duplicated again as long as college basketball is played.
God forbid if UConn turns into another Minnesota or Stanford, I'll still be following the team and watching and attending games like I always have. I predict that if that happens, within 6 months a the people crying about how they are entitled to more will quit board and chuck all of their Huskies gear into the garbage.

Furthermore, none of this is in our hands. "Demanding more" accomplishes nothing besides forcing the rest of the board to read irritating screeds written by grown men that would sound more appropriate coming from spoiled children. You guys sound like my younger relatives when their parents tell them they can't play with their tablet computers at the dinner table. Perhaps you think that by stirring discontent among the fanbase and convincing people that withholding their material support until the program reaches your astronomically high standards for "success" again, you're somehow a knight in shining armor. Not only is that beyond foolhardy, but only supporting a team when they're winning is not something to be proud of.

I'm expecting an avalanche of replies saying people don't like my attitude. To you folks, I say: congratulations, I'm not the biggest fan of yours either.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Because some of us are multi-generation fans whose families packed the fieldhouse back when the program had to play Maine and UVM as part of its conference slate (which always makes me laugh when people whine about that - are you guys fans of UConn basketball, or of the other teams in the league?). We are fans of UConn not as a means to an end, but as an end in and of itself. Being one of the best programs in the nation under JC was something we all enjoyed very much, and we would like the program to return to a similar perch, but doing so is not a condition of our fandom. We all want success and are frustrated when it doesn't come, but some of us happen to not feel that near-perfection is our birthright. You and at least a dozen other people are only here because UConn started winning championships and sending guys to the lottery, with absolutely zero respect for where the program came from or how miraculous it was that we went from competing with America East schools to going toe-to-toe with Duke and UK over a ~20-year span. This program has been blessed with a rise unlike anything before it, and will never be duplicated again as long as college basketball is played.
God forbid if UConn turns into another Minnesota or Stanford, I'll still be following the team and watching and attending games like I always have. I predict that if that happens, within 6 months a the people crying about how they are entitled to more will quit board and chuck all of their Huskies gear into the garbage.

Furthermore, none of this is in our hands. "Demanding more" accomplishes nothing besides forcing the rest of the board to read irritating screeds written by grown men that would sound more appropriate coming from spoiled children. You guys sound like my younger relatives when their parents tell them they can't play with their tablet computers at the dinner table. Perhaps you think that by stirring discontent among the fanbase and convincing people that withholding their material support until the program reaches your astronomically high standards for "success" again, you're somehow a knight in shining armor. Not only is that beyond foolhardy, but only supporting a team when they're winning is not something to be proud of.

I'm expecting an avalanche of replies saying people don't like my attitude. To you folks, I say: congratulations, I'm not the biggest fan of yours either.
As someone who actually attended pre-BE teams in the Fieldhouse, I still think KO better get his ass in gear. And I paid good money to watch teams featuring Eddie Williams and Spider Ursury.

Reaction Score
So the team wasn't going to gel and improve as the year went on. Got it, Nostradamus.
Please. There is NO EXCUSE for losing those games. We should have enough to beat those teams playing 5 on 4. Combined they have maybe one player who could even make the UConn team. Neither team even sniffed their league title.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Please. There is NO EXCUSE for losing those games. We should have enough to beat those teams playing 5 on 4. Combined they have maybe one player who could even make the UConn team. Neither team even sniffed their league title.

Okay, there's no excuse. Should Ollie have been fired the morning of November 12th? How does a season with Glen Miller as the interim sound?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
@Stairmaster again with the hyperbole. You're insufferable man.

People bring up not losing to Wagner and Northeastern, to which your only response is people shouldn't expect championships every season and I would know because I'm a pretentious 20 something who acts like they were there cheering the Huskies on against Vermont 40 years ago.

Reaction Score
We are fans of UConn not as a means to an end, but as an end in and of itself....You and at least a dozen other people are only here because UConn started winning championships and sending guys to the lottery....God forbid if UConn turns into another Minnesota or Stanford, I'll still be following the team and watching and attending games like I always have. I predict that if that happens, within 6 months a the people crying about how they are entitled to more will quit board and chuck all of their Huskies gear into the garbage....Perhaps you think that by stirring discontent among the fanbase and convincing people that withholding their material support until the program reaches your astronomically high standards for "success" again, you're somehow a knight in shining armor. Not only is that beyond foolhardy, but only supporting a team when they're winning is not something to be proud of.

1) You have no idea what conditions -- if any -- determine my fandom
2) The assertion that people unsatisfied with the trajectory of the program will stop being fans is ridiculous. We are unsatisfied because we care, not because we're on the way to not caring.
3) Nobody is advocating withholding material support from the team. I have literally no idea how you read that into my post, or frankly anyone else's.
4) Again, nobody is not supporting the team. Support is not a synonym for cheerleading. Expressing concern over the team and its leadership is not a lack of support. I rooted for this team to win every game last year. But because I complain afterwards, that means I didn't support the team? Absurd.

I respect your perspective, even though I don't share it. But you overreach severely here.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
@Stairmaster again with the hyperbole. You're insufferable man.

People bring up not losing to Wagner and Northeastern, to which your only response is people shouldn't expect championships every season and I would know because I'm a pretentious 20 something who acts like they were there cheering the Huskies on against Vermont 40 years ago.

You say these losses are unacceptable. What, in your mind, is the appropriate consequence for such a loss?

Reaction Score
I am going with "Retires Here" option. I am not a fan of firing coaches who are producing and running a clean program. Coach KO is doing well. Coach and his staff just needs to land 1 or 2 solid recruits, everyone stays healthy, and we will be back in the mix.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
As someone who actually attended pre-BE teams in the Fieldhouse, I still think KO better get his ass in gear. And I paid good money to watch teams featuring Eddie Williams and Spider Ursury.
Fast Eddie Williams. He was in a couple of my classes. Air Force vet was older I recall. Good post TRest.
Ollie needs to get it gear and start recruiting all players. Not just projects from third world nations.

Stainmaster

Reaction Score
Not just projects from third world nations.

I remember that time he filled the roster with those.

Just kidding - what are you smoking?

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
You say these losses are unacceptable. What, in your mind, is the appropriate consequence for such a loss?

No one loss, or even a handful of particularly bad losses are going to get a Head Coach fired. Obviously.

However, when they become more common and the overall health of the program is also in decline, it's going to bring a lot more scrutiny on the head man in charge.

I think the overall quality and more importantly, the consistency of play as a program has really been trending downward the past three seasons.

The bad losses, the poor regular season records and lack of player development are all part of the bigger picture, which just hasn't been up to standard lately.

Given the exodus of players I don't expect a good season next year, but I also think it's put up or shut up time with Ollie and if they completely tank (think like 10-20) he could be gone.

The Funster

What?
Reaction Score
Not trying to be difficult, honest question:

How often does something that "off" get turned around?

Even during JC's 9-19 season people were psyched about the future, today not so much.

First off, I was amongst the fans who wanted to see KO earn a long term deal and felt Warde was pressured into giving him one because he was anointed by JC. I don't think there is anything wrong with making someone prove themselves. Yeah, he won it all but he did it with a fabulous backcourt duo and JC's team. I wanted to see him have success with his own team too. He hasn't and I've seen quite a bit that I haven't liked.

That being said, I think KO is a Husky through and through. He's paid his dues in the NBA and I think he knows the game and knows how to work with a myriad of personalities. Given that, he needs a chance to right his mistakes. One year isn't enough but two years is a fairer span.

Can he do it? I hope so.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
These things seem irreconcilable.

I see what you're saying, but let me be a little clearer.

I think at UConn the floor for a "good season" should consist of a Top 3 finish in AAC regular season, with an overall body of work to reach the NCAAs as a seed of say 5-7 (avoid the 1 seed in round 2).

If they put up a borderline NIT year, but players show improvement, consistency improves, but we finish with 14-16 wins (similar to this year) I think you have no choice but to look towards 2018/2019.

What I'm saying is if the wheels completely come off, then you really need to take a look at the Head Coach.

Reaction Score

I think at UConn the floor for a "good season" should consist of a Top 3 finish in AAC regular season, with an overall body of work to reach the NCAAs as a seed of say 5-7 (avoid the 1 seed in round 2).

If they put up a borderline NIT year, but players show improvement, consistency improves, but we finish with 14-16 wins (similar to this year) I think you have no choice but to look towards 2018/2019.

What I'm saying is if the wheels completely come off, then you really need to take a look at the Head Coach.

Fair enough. I think that's about right. I echo whoever said they lament the fact that we're probably wasting Jalen Adams.

Reaction Score

This offseason is KO's chance to demonstrate that he can critically evaluate his own program, make the necessary changes, and get the right people in place.

If come next offseason, we're still hearing about players not willing to work hard or simply not improving, friction in the locker room, top (local) recruits shunning us, etc., that's evidence that he has failed in that process and Benedict can start drafting the walking papers. Some of this will be evident from on-court results as well.

Reaction Score

My wife says me forgetting to take out the trash is unacceptable. What is the appropriate consequence? Divorce?

That's basically the straw-man argument you're setting up.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom