How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn? | The Boneyard

How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn?

How long does Ollie have left?

• Out before next season

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gets dreaded vote of confidence but out after this year

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • If he gets this team to 20 wins it buys him another year

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • Plays out the 5 year contract

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Retires here

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Curiouser
Reaction Score
stopwatch-20mins.jpg

Reaction Score
He's not going anywhere. He's owed too much money. While Diaco was a clear and present danger to the football program and the school was willing to face the public outcry over paying his buyout, there's no way the school will repeat that move with Ollie. Hell be given a heck of a lot more rope.

Reaction Score
20 minute replies aside, it is a worthy question... The optimist in me is thinking that KO said clean house and that he is going to do this his way. That, unfortunately, means that he is getting rid of a lot of talent with the faith that Chill... can bring in some studs to right the ship. But if we have another .500 season, does he get fired?

So...

A) KO supporters, if we go 16-17 again next year, does that mean his time is up?
B) KO "bashers" if this team, that seems fairly bereft of talent on paper, goes 19-13 does he get a vote of confidence?

Reaction Score
If they put together a 10-20 type season, I think we should strongly consider our options.

In reality I think he gets 2017/2018 and then 2018/2019 no matter what.

If he pulls a 10-20 season he is out. Glad he helped us win number 4 but there is a time were you just need to move on and admit he wasn't the right hire going forward for the program. If he does get to 20 wins, or close to it, even if he doesn't make the tourney I'm sure the administration gives him one more year.

Reaction Score
I expect to see a very motivated Ollie this year and going forward. Gutting the program seems to be more of a "no more BS" move than a show of ineptitude. As much as he needs to win games he needs to show the positive body language and fire that he started his career with. I'm optimistic he will do both and take this program where we expect it to be.

Reaction Score
If he pulls a 10-20 season he is out. Glad he helped us win number 4 but there is a time were you just need to move on and admit he wasn't the right hire going forward for the program. If he does get to 20 wins, or close to it, even if he doesn't make the tourney I'm sure the administration gives him one more year.
I kind of agree with this. I don't think it is the correct play but I think it is what happens. 20-10 NIT and he gets one more year to make the turn. Losing season and no post season and he's gone.

pj

Reaction Score
Sometimes I wish there were dislike buttons here. Ollie is not going anywhere. I wish the fans who do nothing but complain would go somewhere, but unfortunately we can't get rid of them.

Reaction Score
I don't at all believe the right move now is to get rid of him. If we have another sub .500 year, barring external things such as another rash of season-ending injuries, then the conversation must be had in spring 2018. A lot depends on how the remainder of this recruiting season goes, how recruiting for 18-19 and forward progresses, and how the results and overall quality of play from this season pan out. Injuries make up a lot of the reason we ended up where we did this year, but KO and staff made a lot of tactical errors in-game that need to be addressed.

Reaction Score
Hopefully Ollie is the coach for the next 20 years, he is a class act and represents Uconn extremely well.

I have great faith that he will turn this negative season and off-season into a great positive just like he did when Calhoun decided to leave amongst NCAA violations and a bunch of players leaving and transferring.

Let's go Mr. Ollie!

Reaction Score
KO usually has his teams playing good basketball by the end of the season, but he needs to figure out how to get the team playing well out of the gate. We need those early wins against OOC opponents (such as at the Nike tourney this year) or we will always be in a poor situation for post season play. I'm hoping he learns from his mistakes and can retire at UConn!

Reaction Score
you have to give the guy credit too - you don't see UConn kids in the paper for embarrassing reasons anymore. By all accounts they seem to be good university citizens and taking care of business in the classroom.
This one of the main reason the Ollie-Diaco comparisons are not even in the same hemisphere. Ollie is an outstanding public representative of the university and runs a program full of kids that are equally good public faces of the school. Ollie's missteps have been tactical and boil down to reasonable difference of basketball philosophy. Diaco's made you wonder if he was out of touch with reality, not to mention his statements to the press and in public gatherings were that of a mad man.

Reaction Score
Yeah and if he wins a national championship with Benedict Arnold and Atilla the Hun in the backcourt and John Wayne Gasey, the Unibomber and Darth Vadar in the front court nobody will give a damn that they aren't "good citizens." You guys are unbelievable sometimes. Half of you made excuses for Miles Williams and Price but now are so proud of Ollie because his players aren't thrives and possibly rapists. If they are and he wins the excuses will be out in full force again.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
Better question:

Let's say you all get your wish and he's forced out. How long do you give the next coach to have us at the top of the conference, ranked for most of the year, regularly making the second weekend of the tournament, and sending multiple guys to the NBA?

Reaction Score
he gets atleast through 2018-19, we should keep in mind that replacing him will not be easy and that whoever his hypothetical replacement is, is going to inherit one heck of a rebuilding job

CTBasketball

Former Owner of the Pizza Thread
Reaction Score
Better question:

Let's say you all get your wish and he's forced out. How long do you give the next coach to have us at the top of the conference, ranked for most of the year, regularly making the second weekend of the tournament, and sending multiple guys to the NBA?
You would have to give him 5 years or so. A full recruiting class I would think.

The things you listed have never occurred under Ollie. We've never been at the top of the conference, ranked the entire year (2014 we were ranked probably between 60-80% of the year), only made the second weekend once, and he's only had Shabazz land in the NBA - and that might end soon.

So if we could hire a guy to do what you listed I would sign up for that. I just want consistency.

UC1995

Back to Basics!
Reaction Score
Better question:

To be clear, I just posed the question after a tough week in the news of losing three players and our top recruit. I want him to work out. I went to school with him at UConn and have fond memories of him and Boo getting together at a local frat for parties and at my next door neighbors (Boo was with one of the ladies next door at time). Never saw him drink once but hell of a nice guy you could have a conversation with. You want guys like him to succeed.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
You would have to give him 5 years or so. A full recruiting class I would think.

The things you listed have never occurred under Ollie. We've never been at the top of the conference, ranked the entire year (2014 we were ranked probably between 60-80% of the year), only made the second weekend once, and he's only had Shabazz land in the NBA - and that might end soon.

So if we could hire a guy to do what you listed I would sign up for that. I just want consistency.

And what if that doesn't occur from 2018-23? On to the next guy?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom