How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn? | Page 3 | The Boneyard

How long does Ollie have left to prove he can win again at Uconn?

How long does Ollie have left?

• Out before next season

Votes: 4 2.2%
  • Gets dreaded vote of confidence but out after this year

Votes: 19 10.4%
  • If he gets this team to 20 wins it buys him another year

Votes: 79 43.4%
  • Plays out the 5 year contract

Votes: 53 29.1%
  • Retires here

Votes: 27 14.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Reaction Score
Barring a complete disaster next season, he has at least two more years at UConn.

If two offseasons from now we're still having the same convos, then I suspect the school will have no choice but to part ways.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
If he pulls a 10-20 season he is out. Glad he helped us win number 4 but there is a time were you just need to move on and admit he wasn't the right hire going forward for the program. If he does get to 20 wins, or close to it, even if he doesn't make the tourney I'm sure the administration gives him one more year.
I kind of agree with this. I don't think it is the correct play but I think it is what happens. 20-10 NIT and he gets one more year to make the turn. Losing season and no post season and he's gone.

What if they're 10-20, no post season, but a Top 5 recruiting class in 2018? Would you can him?

Me personally? Not a chance.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
You failed to mention how KO contributed significantly to this short rotation by leaving 2 schollies unfilled and sticking by two kids with significant knee issues.

You mean he should have forced Diarra out at the end of this season? I'm pretty sure nobody knew about this injury. He played through it in highschool, and sure as snow wouldn't have disclosed it in the recruiting process.

intlzncster

Reaction Score
Yeah, I thought I had seen that from you somewhere. One of the two was obviously left open in the event Diallo reclassified but just no reason not to get even one more guard to take pressure off the other 3 guys. I agree it can't be repeated but with 5 open spots in April, it will be interesting to see if we can use all scholarships on high quality players.

I don't want them to use all five personally. 2018 is a good class. I'd like to get a nice crop for that year.

Alum86

Did they burn down the ROTC Hangar?
Reaction Score
Stop recruiting skinny sticks and maybe look at US kids?

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
You can't put too much on a season that starts with only 2 players having any UConn experience. Adams has 2 and vital 1. Oliie should have at least 2 years to show he is going in the right direction.

Reaction Score
I believe in sticking with Ko for the long term. If he had to change the process of recruiting and change done of the kids-- I'm behind him. It's always disappointing when someone leaves early or transfers and we were hit hard. That being said-- let's move forward get behind KO.

Getting behind your coach counts for a lot. When recruits read this board, all they see is that KO should be fired if he goes .500 next year.

This matters. Message boards give a view into the tenor of the fanbase, and the recruits think Ollie is almost done. Opposing recruiters have been telling them that for years, but now the UConn fanbase is confirming it.

ctchamps

We are UConn!! 4>1 But 5>>>>1 is even better!
Reaction Score
Unless next year is a complete fail AD Dave gives him two years with this shakeup.

The Boneyard will be different.
If there are no decent recruits this spring the volume goes up to can him now.
If we get Diarra, Harris and a decent big the volume to give him another year goes up.
If we get Diarra, Harris, and some major additional surprise the volume goes up for two years.
If we get great recruits and there is a repeat of this season the volume of people in this forum who will not wait for two years goes up.

The reaction of the Boneyard is more predictable than the team's future.

Reaction Score
Unless next year is a complete fail AD Dave gives him two years with this shakeup.

The Boneyard will be different.
If there are no decent recruits this spring the volume goes up to can him now.
If we get Diarra, Harris and a decent big the volume to give him another year goes up.
If we get Diarra, Harris, and some major additional surprise the volume goes up for two years.
If we get great recruits and there is a repeat of this season the volume of people in this forum who will not wait for two years goes up.

The reaction of the Boneyard is more predictable than the team's future.

While it wasn't nearly as bad in 2013 and half of 2014, it was still really bad.

Reaction Score
You mean he should have forced Diarra out at the end of this season? I'm pretty sure nobody knew about this injury. He played through it in highschool, and sure as snow wouldn't have disclosed it in the recruiting process.
I'm saying the overall combination of leaving 2 scholarships unfilled, sticking by Durham and possibly not doing complete due dilligence on a kid in their backyard was a recipe for trouble.

I think it's just as plausible that the staff knew about Diarra's knee condition but were okay with it to maximize our odds of landing his close friend Diallo. Water under the bridge, here's hoping they will turn over every rock in the future to not be blindsided by any of these things going forward.

MASSconn

Pretentious CR Critic
Reaction Score
Getting behind your coach counts for a lot. When recruits read this board, all they see is that KO should be fired if he goes .500 next year.

This matters. Message boards give a view into the tenor of the fanbase, and the recruits think Ollie is almost done. Opposing recruiters have been telling them that for years, but now the UConn fanbase is confirming it.

You think recruits base their decision on fanboards? Lol

Reaction Score
I'm saying the overall combination of leaving 2 scholarships unfilled, sticking by Durham and possibly not doing complete due dilligence on a kid in their backyard was a recipe for trouble.

I think it's just as plausible that the staff knew about Diarra's knee condition but were okay with it to maximize our odds of landing his close friend Diallo. Water under the bridge, here's hoping they will turn over every rock in the future to not be blindsided by any of these things going forward.

If a former top 10 kid like Durham injures his ACL (one knee, not 2 knees, the 2nd knee happened after he signed) and then wants to commit to UConn, would you counsel not taking him in the future?

Whatever risk there was with him playing, the fact is that he played this year and didn't reinjure his knee.

Alterique Gilbert too injured his shoulder during the all-star game after he signed.

As for Diarra, no one has ever shown here that he had issues with his knees.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
I think jumping on Ollie for injuries is a new low. Probably his fault he got divorced and he surely is still affected in a manner that prohibits him from doing his job three years later.

Reaction Score
What if the next guy can't do it either?
Then you keep trying until you find a guy who can. Look that's how it rolls. If you are trying to say only Ollie can succeed here and if he doesn't no one else will I don't know what so tell you. Btw I'd give the new guy 3 years not 5. In hoops recruiting classes are very different. If you aren't going in the right direction in 3 you ain't going in the right direction.

David 76

Forty years a fan
Reaction Score
Then you keep trying until you find a guy who can. Look that's how it rolls. If you are trying to say only Ollie can succeed here and if he doesn't no one else will I don't k
now what so tell you. Btw I'd give the new guy 3 years not 5. In hoops recruiting classes are very different. If you aren't going in the right direction in 3 you ain't going in the right direction.

And if in that three years he had 2 great years and a NC, would you fire him two years later?
I agree that you have to move on as many times as necessary, but with injuries, NCAA penalties, CR, this is too soon. People should calm down and give him 2 years to re-prove himself. We know what he is capable of doing.

Reaction Score
Any UCONN fan can see the direction of the program......down the tubes
We can disagree about how much is on Ollie....but with him, we are heading back to the Patriot league or NEC
He needs to go....sooner the better

Reaction Score
What inju
I think jumping on Ollie for injuries is a new low. Probably his fault he got divorced and he surely is still affected in a manner that prohibits him from doing his job three years later.

What injuries did the team have when they lost to Wagner and Northeastern?

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
What inju

What injuries did the team have when they lost to Wagner and Northeastern?

So the team wasn't going to gel and improve as the year went on. Got it, Nostradamus.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CJasmer

Top Bottom