Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
This is factually correct.

That said, BC is only 1 vote, 1 voice in the ACC. If the ACC other schools wanted Uconn, nothing that BC could have said, or done, could have prevented Uconn from getting an invite, imo. I believe BC could not stop the ACC even today from extending an invite to Uconn if the ACC wanted to do so.

Not this crap again.

My lord, not again. It prevented UConn from having an invite. UConn was ahead of Pitt until BC played its game.

Reaction Score
I hope Uconn eventually gets into the ACC, because it will help their presence a bit in Massachusetts, particularly around Greater Boston, and would be good for both programs, and a boost to college sports interest in Greater Boston.

Boston is a Pro Sports town. BC is an afterthought, and Uconn frankly does not exist. I've lived and worked in Boston for half a century, and believe me I never met a Uconn grad in Boston,and spent years in sales, and traveled around every day to Greater Boston. Now that I'm semi retired, I spend winters in SW Florida, and never see Uconn gear on when I'm there. I see BC gear( and Northeastern gear) as for over a decade now BC plays the Red Sox as the teams opener at JetBlue Park, Ft. Myers). If Uconn goes to the B12, that won't do anything for Uconn is Greater Boston, as nobody has any ties, nor any interest to that part of the B12 league's Country. I'm also trying to figure out if the Uconn Basketball Coaches are interested in 10 hour 2,000 flights back and forth every week for months on end to play a dozen or so league games out in that distant part of the country.... or if the B12 Basketball teams are likewise enthralled with that thought. Coach Diaco let the cat out of the bag when he alluded to his position that even he isn't enthralled with the travel his football team would make in going 2,000 miles one way to play schools out in a region of the country where air flights are not that frequent, nor desireable airports. And the Uconn Basketball program would go out there more frequently, due to playing more games. Thats why I hope Uconn holds out for an ACC invite, as going to the B12 will do nothing for college sports interest in New England, except in the state of Connecticut alone.

Why use data when we can use your biased recollections?

I recall from a UCONN foundation graphic that there are over 10,000 alumni in the greater Boston area.

What is not calculated is the number of non-alumni fans in the area, such as myself. I have 5 people on my season tix, all of whom live in greater Boston as non-alumni UCONN fans.

CT sends a lot of their young to the Boston area private schools - and many, like me, maintain their loyalty to State U.

My wife's parents are coincidentally from CT, and have lived in MA since the early 80's. Neither are alumni but both are still UCONN fans. Her brother ( non-alumni and never a resident of CT ) is also a UCONN fan, because of his parents.

I lived in downtown Boston for more than a decade, and saw UCONN fans pretty much every day. During CB season, the bars were always filled with UCONN fans, more than any other.

I live in Westwood now, and still see UCONN everywhere, Tshirts, number stickers, you name it.

I think you need to get your glasses checked.

Reaction Score
Not this crap again.

My lord, not again. It prevented UConn from having an invite. UConn was ahead of Pitt until BC played its game.

BC had no such political leverage to single handedly keep a school out of the ACC. Long timers here will certainly recall the refrain that BC should not leave the BE for the ACC because.... " BC will never have any political sway in that southern league". Then a few years later with BC in the ACC, curiously, some of the very same people were heard saying that " BC single prevailed upon the other ACC schools to single handedly keep Uconn out of the ACC ". Well, people can't have it both ways. Either BC had no political sway, or they had enormous political sway once BC got to the ACC. That said, I don't the true assessment is in either extreme view, imo. I believe that little ol BC can't stop the ACC from doing anything it wants regarding expansion teams it wants in its league. Not back then. Not now either.

Reaction Score
I recall from a UCONN foundation graphic that there are over 10,000 alumni in the greater Boston area.
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught H.S. school and coached too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either in my travels. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. ( BC staff has Connecticut residency connections however.. this is true ) We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either ). I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too to be honest about it). We don't see Uconn grads out and about in Greater Boston however. I'm just being honest with you on that too. I'm sure it happens, but in my 50 years of experience, very rare. That said, I'm sure there are some Uconn alums that live and work in Greater Boston area.. some on this very board too.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not this crap again.

My understanding is that the ACC looked at WVA,UL,Pitt,Syracuse& UConn with some thought of going to 16 but they only added 2 because of the desire to one day get ND. It came down to you or Pitt. Their wasn't enough support for UConn so they compromised on Pitt who also flirted with the B12.

Reaction Score
How does one know that they are looking at a UConn grad "on their travels" without actually asking them? Even a t-shirt/hat/hoodie doesn't identify that person as a graduate. (unless it says "alumni")

Reaction Score
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught school too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either ). I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too to be honest about it). We don't see Uconn grads out and about in Greater Boston. I'm just be honest with you on that too. That said, I'm sure there are some that live and work in Greater Boston area.. some on this very board too.
Anecdotes are fun.

I see plenty of UConn gear in Boston (I live in Southie, go to BU for grad school, and work in Allston). A good portion of my friends from UConn also moved up here after they graduated. UConn grads tend to split between NYC and Boston fairly evenly, I've found.

During the run to the 2014 MBB championship, The Greatest Bar was jam packed with UConn fans for every game. I was wearing my UConn hat a couple weeks ago and 3 or 4 people I saw over the course of the day initiated the "UConn" chant.

We're around in not-insignificant numbers.

Reaction Score
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught school too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either. I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too). But I'm just being honest with you. We don't see UConn grads out and about in Greater Boston. That said, I'm sure there are some that live and work in Greater Boston area.
Interesting. My 4 years living in Boston I noticed a decent amount of UConn gear (not nearly as much as the local Boston schools or ND, but a fair amount). Maybe I just noticed it more b/c of my connection to UConn... I also remember UConn BB games at Conte not feeling like much of a home court advantage for BC.

As for SW Florida, I get down there annually, and every time i visit Naples I notice a UConn shirts/hats, etc... I always get a "Go Huskies" or "UConnnnnn" comment when I am wearing my hat or t-shirt (I'm really, really, really, insanely and intimidatingly good looking though, so it could just be an easy ice breaker for women;) . I also see a lot of tOSU gear in SW Florida, but it seemed like half the families staying at the hotel we were in were from Ohio (it was their school break).

Reaction Score
How does one know that they are looking at a UConn grad "on their travels" without actually asking them? Even a t-shirt/hat/hoodie doesn't identify that person as a graduate. (unless it says "alumni")
In the case of my public school employment period of years, a person's school attendance for their degrees is available to both parents, teachers alike. In the case of my non teaching years, it came about from the thousands of resumes I had read over the years of applicants that currently lived in Greater Boston, and were applying for position with the Boston based company. It was indeed rare to see " Uconn Grad " on the application ( perhaps as a result of the Massachusetts resident having gone to school locally, or from thousands of schools throughout the Country. I also was a former Red Sox Season ticket holder ( before moving to SW Florida for 7-8 months of the year now. I rarely recalled seeing Uconn gear at Fenway, in all those years. I would see lots of Umass, BC, etc local college gear.

Reaction Score
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught school too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either. I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too). But I'm just being honest with you. We don't see Uconn grads out and about in Greater Boston. That said, I'm sure there are some that live and work in Greater Boston area.

This is absurd. There are tons of UConn fans in Boston and has been for 30 years. I lived in Boston and most of my friends were UConn fans. UConn alumni events in Boston do very well. During March Madness, Boston bars are overrun with UConn fans. As far as South Florida goes, there is not a huge presence, but I know of a number of UConn fans and I see UConn gear fairly often. I definitely see it more than I see BC, Syracuse etc. I mostly see UF, FSU, tOSU and Michigan but no Northeastern or Mid-Atlantic school is seen here in large enough numbers to be noticeable to the average person.

Reaction Score
My understanding is that the ACC looked at WVA,UL,Pitt,Syracuse& UConn with some thought of going to 16 but they only added 2 because of the desire to one day get ND. It came down to you or Pitt. Their wasn't enough support for UConn so they compromised on Pitt who also flirted with the B12.

N0, your understanding is incorrect, as has been documented 1,000 times on this board.

Reaction Score
BC had no such political leverage to single handedly keep a school out of the ACC. Long timers here will certainly recall the refrain that BC should not leave the BE for the ACC because.... " BC will never have any political sway in that southern league". Then a few years later with BC in the ACC, curiously, some of the very same people were heard saying that " BC single prevailed upon the other ACC schools to single handedly keep Uconn out of the ACC ". Well, people can't have it both ways. Either BC had no political sway, or they had enormous political sway once BC got to the ACC. That said, I don't the true assessment is in either extreme view, imo. I believe that little ol BC can't stop the ACC from doing anything it wants regarding expansion teams it wants in its league. Not back then. Not now either.

Wrong, it's been well documented.

Reaction Score
UConn fans usually don't wear UConn gear to Red Sox games. When in Rome....if I'm in Fenway I wear regular clothes or Sox gear. We know we are outsiders in Massachusetts and we conform. When I lived in Boston, I never wore UConn gear around town.

Reaction Score
Interesting.

As for SW Florida, I get down there annually, and every time i visit Naples I notice a UConn shirts/hats, etc... ).

It is " interesting ", as your personal experience down in SW Florida is far different than mine. speaking of Naples, FL. every year now I am down there for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. As you probably know, each N.E. based college has a trolley they rent for the parade. Over 200 N.E. colleges are seemingly represented..... except Uconn... for whatever reason. If they were there, I did not see them. There are LOTS of BC alums and fans down in SW Fl. We see them at the golf courses, the beaches, down on 5th Ave South, all the way up to Ft. Myers. We also see Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and LOTS of ND gear too in the region each winter there ? Uconn gear ? No. I don't see it there during my 7-8 months there. But I'll accept that you apparently do when you are there.

Reaction Score
UConn fans usually don't wear UConn gear to Red Sox games. When in Rome....if I'm in Fenway I wear regular clothes or Sox gear. We know we are outsiders in Massachusetts and we conform. When I lived in Boston, I never wore UConn gear around town.

Why wouldn't Uconn fans wear their Uconn gear to Fenway Park, when tons of NY Yankees fans do... and all the time ? I see NY Yankees gear on Yankees fans at Fenway Park all the time. I've worn my Red Sox gear to Yankees stadium too.. never a problem there either. If you come back to Fenway Park, don't be a wussy... wear your Uconn gear. You'll have no problems either with it on. Besides, my Uconn grad friends and my family are in an area that is Red Sox Nation territory in Connecticut mostly. They have been with me with their Uconn gear on a few occasions, and they never had any problems up at either Fenway or down at JetBlue Park.

Last edited:

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Because people took my disagreement with the statement that UConn's audience is "huge and captive" and turned it into something it's not.

Because posters like CL82 like to rehash old conversations by assigning people ownership of fabricated opinions.

Because posters like Marty Jackson (and apparently IMind) hop in the middle of discussions without starting at the beginning for proper context. For example, no matter how many times I say we can fill the 40k stadium, people keep asking my why I think we can't. Irony is, they're calling me crazy.

And because posters like myself have some time to kill.
Really?

I've tried being as cordial as possible, maybe a more direct approach is a better choice.

This thread is dragging on because you've taken a misinformed opinion and tried to defend it using tortured logic and meaningless data. You keep "evolving" your prior positions when posters point your inaccuracies. You're crapping up the thread with your nonsense, but, at least in my opinion, you aren't deliberately trying to do that.

If you were a new post poster, I'd write you off as a troll but you aren't. I'm not quite sure what to make of you. I've given up trying to educate you, because you don't seem open to it.

Point of BY etiquette, if you are calling out a poster and haven't replied to their post, use the @ (as in @WingU-Conn) before their handle so they can respond if they choose.

Reaction Score
N0, your understanding is incorrect, as has been documented 1,000 times on this board.
Documented how? Just because BC has stated they voted no & given their reason for doing so still doesn't account for FSU&CLE for example who also happen to be a no vote. Even then you stiil need another school to be a firm no to keep you from getting the 9 votes needed for inclusion at that time. So your theory is that BC has enough clout to get at least 3 other schools to block UConn but little clout or influence any where else including Boston

Reaction Score
Because it's a freakin baseball game!
The Red Sox play BC ( and Northeastern ) Baseball every season now in Ft. Myers, Florida. So theres lots of these schools gear found around town. I've seen lots of ND gear at Red Sox Baseball games at Fenway Park over the years too. They are not showing off ND Baseball support. I see lots of college gear.. mostly local colleges... at Fenway Park. Some of those college gears we'd see, the schools don't even field a football team. Just sayin'

caramel

A potential star is born from the dust over time
Reaction Score
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught H.S. school and coached too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either in my travels. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. ( BC staff has Connecticut residency connections however.. this is true ) We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either ). I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too to be honest about it). We don't see Uconn grads out and about in Greater Boston however. I'm just being honest with you on that too. I'm sure it happens, but in my 50 years of experience, very rare. That said, I'm sure there are some Uconn alums that live and work in Greater Boston area.. some on this very board too.
To me,this is a subject that can neither be win or lose.
If Connecticut joins the BIG 12,the interest in All of New England,whether it be Massachusetts,Boston,or anything else,should and will spike,whether we see people with fan gear out and about,or not.
It has been rare,for a very long time,seeing a Connecticut team,hosting a team such as Oklahoma or Texas,not only in football,but in baseball,and other quality sports the University excels in,or will excel in.
I live in Florida now,(born and raised in Connecticut 20 minutes from UConn's campus),and there are many people like me,in other parts of the country,that are always Connecticut,and can see so many good things for UConn,the state, the in state fans,and the out of state fans,if this comes to be.
Because we see no gear,hear no chatter,does not mean the interest in a particular area will not spike.Being a fan of any team is in the heart,not on the sleeve,in many cases.

Reaction Score
You Sir are a moron! Your at a baseball game and your wearing college gear, what??? Especially when you are a Red Sox fans? Are you one of those idiots that goes to a football games wearing hockey gear or soccer jerseys? Your viewpoint of not seeing UCONN gear in/around Boston shows that there are not fans in Boston area is absurd. There is a bigger presence of UConn Fans/Alumni in NYC area, however, there is definitely a presence in Boston Area including many of my own cousins, Aunts, and Uncles.

IMind

Wildly Inaccurate
Reaction Score
Because it's a freakin baseball game!

Unless you got a freaking Matt Barnes UConn jersey there's no reason to wear anything UConn to a Red Sox game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom