Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
To me,this is a subject that can neither be win or lose.
If Connecticut joins the BIG 12,the interest in All of New England,whether it be Massachusetts,Boston,or anything else,should and will spike,.

Well, we can just decide to respectfully disagree on this then.. no problem. My sense, knowing the Greater Boston area sports fan the way I believe I do, if Uconn is playing Iowa State in Hartford, it will have no further interest ( possibly less ) among Greater Boston sports fans than when BC plays Wake Forest over at the Heights. Most Greater Boston area sports fans, perhaps very knowledgeable about Pro sports, could not name you half the schools right now in the B12. Trust me on this. This will not change if Uconn gets into the B12. it will become big deal in the State of Connecticut ( especially to get out of the AAC), but it won't do a thing to spike college football interest in Boston and in Greater Boston. Few care about national college sports in Boston. Its considered mostly the amateur minor leagues feeding programs into the Pros. Especially College Football. Only on NFL, NBA, MLB Draft Day do most Greater Boston area sports fans pay attention... or when Uconn Basketball is in the Final Four, or BC plays ND or FSU in football.. otherwise 90% could care less about college sports in Boston ( compared to the Pro game anyway ). I wish it were different. But I'm only telling you the Real here.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Mods.......come on. This is ludicrous!

No, this is Ludacris:

luda.jpg

Reaction Score
Documented how? Just because BC has stated they voted no & given their reason for doing so still doesn't account for FSU&CLE for example who also happen to be a no vote. Even then you stiil need another school to be a firm no to keep you from getting the 9 votes needed for inclusion at that time. So your theory is that BC has enough clout to get at least 3 other schools to block UConn but little clout or influence any where else including Boston

We're talking about 2011 and not 2013. Pitt joined in 2011. FSU and Clemson opposed in 2013. No one here is saying BC blackballed UConn in 2013. These are two separate things.

When a school claims it's in their vested interests to blackball, other schools won't oppose, especially if they have a perfectly good replacement available in Pitt. This is how committees work. You don't go against someone who has a vested interest (when it's no skin off your back) simply because you then don't want them opposing you when it's something close to your school's interest. This is pretty basic thinking when it come to committees. And in fact, it's the whole reason for subcommittees. Subcommittees are typically composed of a subset of people who may have more interest in matters at hand or are somehow more impacted, and in the vast majority of cases, subcommittee recommendations carry the day. It's just how the world works.

Do I really need to show you all the articles with headlines like, "BC Blackballed UConn," or articles in which is it stated outright that UConn was one of the top two candidates, and not Pitt?

Do I really need to do that again?

Forget about Yawkey, he is an ass for not acknowledging these things over and over.

Reaction Score
My sense, knowing the Greater Boston area sports fan the way I believe I do

Wow, what's it like knowing the way 4.5 million people people feel? That is the number of people in what is considered the Greater Boston area as far as I can determine.

Reaction Score
We're talking about 2011 and not 2013. Pitt joined in 2011. FSU and Clemson opposed in 2013. No one here is saying BC blackballed UConn in 2013. These are two separate things.

When a school claims it's in their vested interests to blackball, other schools won't oppose, especially if they have a perfectly good replacement available in Pitt. This is how committees work. You don't go against someone who has a vested interest (when it's no skin off your back) simply because you then don't want them opposing you when it's something close to your school's interest. This is pretty basic thinking when it come to committees. And in fact, it's the whole reason for subcommittees. Subcommittees are typically composed of a subset of people who may have more interest in matters at hand or are somehow more impacted, and in the vast majority of cases, subcommittee recommendations carry the day. It's just how the world works.

Do I really need to show you all the articles with headlines like, "BC Blackballed UConn," or articles in which is it stated outright that UConn was one of the top two candidates, and not Pitt?

Do I really need to do that again?

Forget about Yawkey, he is an ass for not acknowledging these things over and over.
That's up to you. Again FSU& Clemson werea no vote when Pitt& Syracuse got iinvited, they were a no vote when Louisville was invited & they are a no vote today. In fact they are a no vote to any other team in the Northeast not named Penn State. Now I don't agree with them & think UConn makes sense on many levels

Reaction Score
When a school claims it's in their vested interests to blackball, other schools won't oppose, This is how committees work. You don't go against someone who has a vested interest (when it's no skin off your back) simply because you then don't want them opposing you when it's something close to your school's interest. This is pretty basic thinking when it come to committees.
Anybody here that thinks that this is how ( for just one example ) the B12 Committees work, probably is not paying much attention to how the B12 expansion committee works. Otherwise, I have no idea how anyone could possibly arrive at this assessment. Perhaps, this assessment of " not going against another school " so as not to ruffle other schools feathers for a future consideration should be posted on all the B12 school message boards to see how many agree with this apparent insular, quite unusual to say the least, assessment on how the college expansion committees work in College Football.... and especially the B12 expansion Committee. Security must do a pat down to be sure nobody's packin' a pistol when they are entering this committee room to discuss things ( lol!)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
if they are, they must be home bound. I've never seen Uconn grads around Boston. I taught H.S. school and coached too in the Greater Boston area. I never met a Uconn grad there either in my travels. I asked some friends of mine yesterday ( not BC alums either ) if they see Uconn grads in their travels around Greater Boston. They told me never, or hardly ever. ( BC staff has Connecticut residency connections however.. this is true ) We don't see Uconn gear around Boston ( or SW Florida either ). I have relatives, friends in Connecticut that are Uconn grads, and its true I see LOTS of Uconn gear in Connecticut ( far more than BC gear in Greater Boston too to be honest about it). We don't see Uconn grads out and about in Greater Boston however. I'm just being honest with you on that too. I'm sure it happens, but in my 50 years of experience, very rare. That said, I'm sure there are some Uconn alums that live and work in Greater Boston area.. some on this very board too.

You're full of crap. I've lived here for 5 years, and I see UConn fans all the time. You can't find a seat at the UConn bars when they're playing. There are more UConn fans than any other college fan in this town.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
It is " interesting ", as your personal experience down in SW Florida is far different than mine. speaking of Naples, FL. every year now I am down there for the St. Patrick's Day Parade. As you probably know, each N.E. based college has a trolley they rent for the parade. Over 200 N.E. colleges are seemingly represented..... except Uconn... for whatever reason. If they were there, I did not see them. There are LOTS of BC alums and fans down in SW Fl. We see them at the golf courses, the beaches, down on 5th Ave South, all the way up to Ft. Myers. We also see Minnesota, Ohio State, Michigan, Michigan State, and LOTS of ND gear too in the region each winter there ? Uconn gear ? No. I don't see it there during my 7-8 months there. But I'll accept that you apparently do when you are there.
Ft Myers has plenty of UConn Alum and Fans. Plenty.
Central Florida is well represented by UConn Nation as well.

Reaction Score
I hope Uconn eventually gets into the ACC, because it will help their presence a bit in Massachusetts, particularly around Greater Boston, and would be good for both programs, and a boost to college sports interest in Greater Boston.

Boston is a Pro Sports town. BC is an afterthought, and Uconn frankly does not exist. I've lived and worked in Boston for half a century, and believe me I never met a Uconn grad in Boston,and spent years in sales, and traveled around every day to Greater Boston. Now that I'm semi retired, I spend winters in SW Florida, and never see Uconn gear on when I'm there. I see BC gear( and Northeastern gear) as for over a decade now BC plays the Red Sox as the teams opener at JetBlue Park, Ft. Myers). If Uconn goes to the B12, that won't do anything for Uconn is Greater Boston, as nobody has any ties, nor any interest to that part of the B12 league's Country. I'm also trying to figure out if the Uconn Basketball Coaches are interested in 10 hour 2,000 flights back and forth every week for months on end to play a dozen or so league games out in that distant part of the country.... or if the B12 Basketball teams are likewise enthralled with that thought. Coach Diaco let the cat out of the bag when he alluded to his position that even he isn't enthralled with the travel his football team would make in going 2,000 miles one way to play schools out in a region of the country where air flights are not that frequent, nor desireable airports. And the Uconn Basketball program would go out there more frequently, due to playing more games. Thats why I hope Uconn holds out for an ACC invite, as going to the B12 will do nothing for college sports interest in New England, except in the state of Connecticut alone.
UConn cannot hold out for an ACC invite, which may never come in our lifetimes. How could you say UConn should hold out for an ACC invite, when as discussed here BC actively campaigned against UConn multiple times! Take BC and FSU and go to...
If the Big 12 comes along for UConn, I have no doubt Boston will gladly accept Husky Nation, and BC will be even more of an afterthought.

31GuardTrap

Bringing back the basics
Reaction Score
This... This thread right here... Is the worst thread ever. I hate myself for clicking on it.
You made me laugh out loud....very loudly.
Thank You for that. I needed it.

Reaction Score
Really?

I've tried being as cordial as possible, maybe a more direct approach is a better choice.

This thread is dragging on because you've taken a misinformed opinion and tried to defend it using tortured logic and meaningless data. You keep "evolving" your prior positions when posters point your inaccuracies. You're crapping up the thread with your nonsense, but, at least in my opinion, you aren't deliberately trying to do that.

If you were a new post poster, I'd write you off as a troll but you aren't. I'm not quite sure what to make of you. I've given up trying to educate you, because you don't seem open to it.

Point of BY etiquette, if you are calling out a poster and haven't replied to their post, use the @ (as in @WingU-Conn) before their handle so they can respond if they choose.

I am not evolving my position. I didn't bring up Iowa (@upstater did). I didn't say we couldn't sell out the stadium (nobody did). I didn't bring up BC and them blocking us (you did).

I'm responding to people accusing me of saying things I didn't say.

A couple posters @ConnHuskBask and @Sea Goat who actually read my explanation now understand that we're on the same page.

Some are responding to arguments I didn't make, or creating strawman so they can shout me down. Somehow that's my fault.

Then there's you who believes it's his responsibility to educate me. Every time I say UConn deserves to be in a P5 because we're worthy, you ignore it and alter my opinions to fit your narrative.

Want to talk about BY etiquette?

How about @Marty Jackson jumping into a conversation to ridicule while bragging about not bothering to read from the beginning so he could understand the context? He literally "educated" me on things I had just said in a prior post. Is that proper BY etiquette?

How about @mavblues and @IMind not using the quote function while posting in absolute disgust claiming someone made comments that were literally never made? Is that proper BY etiquette?

I'm still waiting for someone to quote the post where I said we couldn't sell out the stadium.

If you got off your high horse you might realize that I'm a huge fan, but that I don't mind discussing and addressing shortcomings that we have to overcome. I also don't mind helping overcome them when I can. I've donated to help posters on this board go to football games. I've also organized tailgates to get fans to go to their first UConn football game, and am always trying to bring them back. There are people who have done much more, kudos to them.

I don't believe we should hide from areas in need of improvement. If people don't want to discuss them, they are free to move on to other threads.

The mob mentality here keeps a lot people from posting, and keeps us from having more productive conversations.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Can we please lock this thread until or unless there's some actual information about UConn and the ACC? This is nonsense.

Reaction Score
You're full of crap. I've lived here for 5 years, and I see UConn fans all the time. You can't find a seat at the UConn bars when they're playing. There are more UConn fans than any other college fan in this town.
I could just as easily say you are " full of crap " that in your "5 years "of residency in Greater Boston that you see more Uconn fans in Greater Boston than I do in my " 50 years " of living and working in Greater Boston. I have no idea what a " Uconn Bar " is in Boston either. I never heard of one. Where is this " Uconn bar " that you tell us is located in Boston ? Whats its location ? Boston has 5 BC Bars that I'm personally aware ofr ( some off limits, but they go there anyway... " MaryAnns ".. is but one). Naples, Fl has " Foxboro's ", and no less than 8 more Boston teams bars in SW Florida that I'm personally aware of. I'm not saying that Uconn does not have a " Uconn bar " in Boston or SW florida. I'm just saying I have never heard of a " Uconn bar " in Boston or SW Fl., thats all But if you can educate me as to what bar in Boston and/ or SW Fl is deemed a " Uconn Bar " by the owners, just name them for us, so I can be more properly educated to such an existence.

Reaction Score
Can you quote the post where someone actually said that?
Listen to Dennis Dodd in any interview about us and hear his "vision" of Texas having to play at the PAWSARF in November in front of 27k in cold sideways rain...

MattMang23

Adding Nothing to the Conversation
Reaction Score
The Greatest Bar is a UConn-friendly bar in Boston, thought it is not a UConn bar. And as for you @CTMike you're going to bring about world war 3.

Reaction Score
Listen to Dennis Dodd in any interview about us and hear his "vision" of Texas having to play at the PAWSARF in November in front of 27k in cold sideways rain...
I'll rephrase so you'll understand the context of my point.

Can someone quote the post where I said that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom