Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 9 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
You are arguing against demographics with anecdotes. Former CT residents and UCONN alumni live in greater Boston, and in great number. And everyone can see this but you.
There are probably 20 times more Umass and BC grads living in Greater Boston than Uconn grads. There are most likely more BC alums ( if we include Masters degrees ) living in Greater Boston than Uconn grads ( including Masters Degrees ) right now too. Its possible that this could change as BC is increasingly receiving more of its student body from outside Massachusetts than ever before. Uconn should have more grads in places for the simple reason that its a state school, and much larger than the private, small, catholic university that BC is. By the same token I would assume that most people can expect to find more Univ. of Indiana grads living and working in Chicago than graduates of Notre Dame working and living in the Chicago area ( but not in South Bend ). Well, no kidding. This would somehow be a new revelation somehow to some people ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I could just as easily say you are " full of crap " that in your "5 years "of residency in Greater Boston that you see more Uconn fans in Greater Boston than I do in my " 50 years " of living and working in Greater Boston. I have no idea what a " Uconn Bar " is in Boston either. I never heard of one. Where is this " Uconn bar " that you tell us is located in Boston ? Whats its location ? Boston has 5 BC Bars that I'm personally aware ofr ( some off limits, but they go there anyway... " MaryAnns ".. is but one). Naples, Fl has " Foxboro's ", and no less than 8 more Boston teams bars in SW Florida that I'm personally aware of. I'm not saying that Uconn does not have a " Uconn bar " in Boston or SW florida. I'm just saying I have never heard of a " Uconn bar " in Boston or SW Fl., thats all But if you can educate me as to what bar in Boston and/ or SW Fl is deemed a " Uconn Bar " by the owners, just name them for us, so I can be more properly educated to such an existence.

Greatest Bar and Cask n' Flagon (outside of baseball season) both show every UConn game and get a ton of traffic. This isn't a secret.

Reaction Score
This... This thread right here... Is the worst thread ever. I hate myself for clicking on it.

Mike this is fair criticism but you have to admit that Yawkey Way has made some great contributions.

Reaction Score
There are probably 20 times more Umass and BC grads living in Greater Boston than Uconn grads. There are most likely more BC alums ( if we include Masters degrees ) living in Greater Boston than Uconn grads ( including Masters Degrees ) right now too. Its possible that this could change as BC is increasingly receiving more of its student body from outside Massachusetts than ever before. Uconn should have more grads in places for the simple reason that its a state school, and much larger than the private, small, catholic university that BC is. By the same token I would assume that most people can expect to find more Univ. of Indiana grads living and working in Chicago than graduates of Notre Dame working and living in the Chicago area ( but not in South Bend ). Well, no kidding. This would somehow be a new revelation somehow to some people ?

You remind me of metamucil output.

jho

Reaction Score
Of course Uconn does. Its the only game in town, just as you said. Even the NHL pulled out of Hartford, and the NFL's Kraft ultilized Hartford as leverage to get a better deal for himself in Massachusetts. Nobody said here that Uconn isn't big in Connecticut either. ( although winless BC had more in home attendance last season than Uconn football did, so its not like Uconn football is awash and currently swimming in this huge football interest in the state at the moment, so don't flatter yourelf, you know ?)

I put it to you, Yawkey; isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do what you you want to us, but we're not going to sit here and listen to you badmouth the Hartford Whalers. Gentlemen!
[Leads the Deltas out, all humming Brass Bonanza]

Reaction Score
Greatest Bar and Cask n' Flagon (outside of baseball season) both show every UConn game and get a ton of traffic. This isn't a secret.
if its a BC football game on and a Uconn football game on, the BC football game gets more interest however at the C & F. If its a BC basketball game on, or a Uconn basketball game on, I would assume the Uconn basketball game draws more TV interest in the Boston bars ( but don't know, as currently watch neither ). If its a BC, BU, Hockey game on vs a Uconn Men's or Women's Basketball game on, the BC, BU game there gets far more interest. (as one would expect, as BC, BU, does have interest in Boston when it comes to college hockey ). But the Pro games dwarf both BC and Uconn games in all the Boston sports pubs when both schools go heaad to head with Boston's and NY Pro teams games... and its not even remotely close in the comparison of the interest. If Uconn goes to the B12, it won't even register a yawn to most sports fans in Greater Boston. Thats how much of a pro sports town Boston is.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Don't anybody post or the finger gets it!

a5150f745825d3e8c4731baa0f84de96.jpg

Reaction Score
Mike this is fair criticism but you have to admit that Yawkey Way has made some great contributions.

I believe my comments on here to be rather tame. Look, if Uconn does get a B12 invite, the fans from WVU, and the Bible Belt schools in Texas, Okies , etc will be in here quickly with some unreal, fantastical, other worldly commentary, and we all know that here. My suggestion then is for people to either put me on ignore if they can't handle a contrarian thought, or just put their big boy pants on, and be prepared for contrarian opinions that might be expressed here from outsiders on occasion. I'm called all manner of vile stuff on here on occasion, and its fine. I ignore it. Being in a P5 conference means the ability to be in the big leagues and thus to entertain thoughts that outsiders have regarding Uconn, as false a narrative as it may be sometimes too to Uconn fans here. Not being able to handle contrarian thoughts without breaking for the delete button only serves for more frustration and anger when its not understood by Uconn fans as to how the rest of the world sees Uconn ( in both its good, wrong, favorable, unfavorable, etc light ). Talking to only Uconn fans primarily here I would think, gets boring after awhile, because one can pretty much know beforehand what they will think on something. So everybody should just relax. I'm harmless. My views might be nonsense to some people here. But nonsense should not be a reason for an ignore, or worse, a banning request. It should be a reason to think... to respond... and in a manner that would make our moms proud if they knew what we are posting to other school's fans.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I believe I made this offer before but how much would I have to donate to the Jim and Pat Calhoun Cardiology Center for the admins to ban Yawkey?

I already banned him/her long ago. Not quite sure what y'all are talking about.

Reaction Score
I am not evolving my position. I didn't bring up Iowa (@upstater did). I didn't say we couldn't sell out the stadium (nobody did). I didn't bring up BC and them blocking us (you did).

I'm responding to people accusing me of saying things I didn't say.

A couple posters @ConnHuskBask and @Sea Goat who actually read my explanation now understand that we're on the same page.

Some are responding to arguments I didn't make, or creating strawman so they can shout me down. Somehow that's my fault.

Then there's you who believes it's his responsibility to educate me. Every time I say UConn deserves to be in a P5 because we're worthy, you ignore it and alter my opinions to fit your narrative.

Want to talk about BY etiquette?

How about @Marty Jackson jumping into a conversation to ridicule while bragging about not bothering to read from the beginning so he could understand the context? He literally "educated" me on things I had just said in a prior post. Is that proper BY etiquette?

How about @mavblues and @IMind not using the quote function while posting in absolute disgust claiming someone made comments that were literally never made? Is that proper BY etiquette?

I'm still waiting for someone to quote the post where I said we couldn't sell out the stadium.

If you got off your high horse you might realize that I'm a huge fan, but that I don't mind discussing and addressing shortcomings that we have to overcome. I also don't mind helping overcome them when I can. I've donated to help posters on this board go to football games. I've also organized tailgates to get fans to go to their first UConn football game, and am always trying to bring them back. There are people who have done much more, kudos to them.

I don't believe we should hide from areas in need of improvement. If people don't want to discuss them, they are free to move on to other threads.

The mob mentality here keeps a lot people from posting, and keeps us from having more productive conversations.

Not sure what you are referring to. Can you point to where exactly in my post I referenced you? I was just making a general statement.

See, I can play this game too...

(This time I AM referencing you, hence the use of the quote function.)

Reaction Score
I'm sure I've been in Singapore more that YW and I've seen UConn tees every visit, and not just on my own body. VN, Thailand, Cambodia and Malaysia, too. BC? Seriously? BC is a headache powder. There are also several wearers of tees here in Pyin Oo Lwin where I reside part time though I must admit I gave them as gifts to house staff because I like to see them around. My avitar is my doctor (Htut) and I probably should have offered him one too.

Reaction Score

You have missed or you are avoiding the point by blinding us with one incoherent response after another. Here is the point again, laid out for you: 1.) there is a significant number of UCONN alumni living in the Boston area, 2.) unlike BC, the UCONN fan base extends beyond alumni, many of whom also live in Greater Boston area, 3.) whether you notice us or not, we are here and very engaged ...

So please don't be surprised when we outnumber BC fans on their own campus in November ...

Finally, and this is besides my main points - there are relatively few BC fans downtown on a football Saturday. This is an observable fact. You are in the 781 area code if you are seeing a large numbers of BC fans watching the games at a bar. Like at Cityside or Roggie's. Maybe a few other bars in Cleveland Circle. I'm fine with you making the point that UCONN fans are drowned out by the city.. But don't pretend BC is any different.

Reaction Score
I've been to Chicago, Denver, Singapore, and never saw a Uconn bumper sticker. But did see BC bumper, and windshield stickers. But geez, what these distant places 2-20,0000 miles away from Boston ( or Hartford ) has to do with anything of substance escapes me.

Well, I've been around the world and I, I, I.......I can't find any BC gear!

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
If there are tons of UConn fans in Boston - could some of them join us in the buildings - because I gotta tell you I'm tired of people posting how popular UConn is in other places while I sit in a half empty Rent and a third empty XL center.

Reaction Score
I'm sure I've been in Singapore more that YW and I've seen UConn tees every visit, .
I'm a bit skeptical on this. Even on my trips to Chicago, I don't see ND tees on EVERY visit ( just most ). The notion that you see " Uconn tees " in Singapore on " every visit" seems highly implausble to me. Oh well.

Reaction Score
So please don't be surprised when we outnumber BC fans on their own campus in November ...

I would be surprised with this however. I think its mostly hyperbole. Uconn will probably have a good sized crowd at BC ( as Umass, Rutgers, Syracuse, Pitt, ND, Penn State do). But BC has never had more opponents fans at BC's Alumni Stadium since I have been going to the BC home games many years ago. So " don't be surprised when Uconn won't outnumber BC fans at Chestnut Hill this November. You overestimate the numbers of Uconn football fans that come to BC over the years. Uconn has never come close to having more football fans at Alumni than BC brings. Even Penn State, Michigan, and ND don't bring more football fans to Alumni than BC does. I've been to all the BC- Uconn football games at Alumni. Uconn fans talk a lot, but has never traveled that well on the road, imo. The BC- Uconn football game won't be a sell out either, imo. Uconn football is less of an interest in Greater Boston than Umass is for the BC game ( for obvious reasons.. both schools are in Massachusetts ) So there should be plenty of good seats available for the game for any and all Uconn football fans that repeatedly tell the college football world how well they travel to away games, but then don't show up in anywhere near the numbers that they say they will.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure what you are referring to. Can you point to where exactly in my post I referenced you? I was just making a general statement.

See, I can play this game too...

(This time I AM referencing you, hence the use of the quote function.)
Oh please. Nobody in this thread said that. Yet you thought it necessary to shout it down in large font, bold, and underlined just to make "a general statement"?

People were piling on me for something I didn't say. Just be an adult and admit your mistake.

RACISM IS HORRIBLE!!

Nothing to do with you, just making a general statement.

Reaction Score
I visited a factory in Mexico City and everyone was wearing Phoenix Sun gear.
Then I thought to myself that were probably former AZ residents
I have seen UConn Gear in AZ never BC but I did talk to a UMass fan.

I buy gear but never wear it
Haven't worn any since 2000 when I was in Nashville Airport sitting in a bar watching the TN game ,when Kalid sprained his ankle ,I felt it was my fault for taunting the locals with a 1999 NC sweatshirt .

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom