Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC? | Page 10 | The Boneyard

Hmmm, sounds like UConn to the ACC?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
What is this "huge, captive audience." you speak of?

Our state is relatively small and shrinking. And the audience has shown they have plenty of other options.

Now if we get in the Big 12, the crowds will certainly improve, if/when the team improves, we'll regularly sell the place out. But it would take a generation or more to be like a Penn State.

Again, there's a pretty wide gap between 40-50k and 100k. my post was in response to someone who said we could be a traditional football school. Depends on your definition of traditional. I was using hyperbole when I said PSU, because I don't consider Baylor, Iowa St, Kansas etc traditional football schools. We can be much better than them. No offense to what Baylor has done recently between the lines.

Regular sell outs in the big 12, if we are decent, would be the norm. But if we aren't puttin a good team out there the conference wI'll help, but won't sell out the stadium alone. You can disagree, but 13 years of going to games at the rent tells me the quality of our team is more important than the visitors. Because we aren't playing Texas and Oklahoma 6 times a year at home.

Reaction Score
You can go to a dusty outpost in Iraq, the farthest village in the Sahara, a small village in the wilds of Mayanmar, etc...and see American college gear being worn by natives of the area. I suspect that unsold gear makes the trip by tramp steamer to merchants for resale

pepband99

Resident TV nerd
Reaction Score
If there are tons of UConn fans in Boston - could some of them join us in the buildings - because I gotta tell you I'm tired of people posting how popular UConn is in other places while I sit in a half empty Rent and a third empty XL center.

Thanks for your contribution, Ken Davis.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
@August_West Sansa is a lot smarter than you give her credit for.

a monkey throwing darts at a dartboard is right more than Sansa.

also is this thread about CR and us going to a P5 conference?

Not going to read it.

LOL@ people thinking we are getting a P5 invite before 2025. Youve all been played.

Reaction Score
monkey.jpg

Reaction Score
Hey @CTMike , I think there's an issue with your keyboard. You clearly meant to type "13-0", but there appears to be a positioning error with your 0 and your 1... :eek:

I think there was a typo in post and you meant 15-0 and a national championship

UConnDan97

predicting undefeated seasons since 1983
Reaction Score
I think there was a typo in post and you confused 13-0 with 15-0 and a nationchampionship

Oh no, clearly we are going to go 15-0. I thought that CTMike was just referring to the AAC portion of the schedule...

Reaction Score
On Block Island this summer for two weeks I probably saw a dozen Uconn shirts; not a single BC

I was on Block Island during the summer of 2011, fresh off of that year's championship. We were walking down near the restaurants and Charles Okwandu was walking down the street toward us. We stopped him and talked for a few minutes. Really nice guy, and he loves his team.

nomar

#1 Casual Fan™
Reaction Score
There are probably more BC bumper stickers on cars in Manhattan, Singapore, etc than the streets of Boston. Thats because BC is no longer a commuter school for the Catholic, Blue Collar, Working Class, of Massachusetts. Its students now come from all over the world now, not just from Massachusetts. And a sizeable number return to there there after graduation. I also see far,.. FAR,.. more Umass gear and bumper stickers around Boston, and Greater Boston than Uconn gear or car bumper stickers ( for obvious reasons, of course ). Umass will have far more alums living in Massachusetts than Uconn will from now until eternity. No matter what happens to Uconn football ( or Umass football, for that matter ). But I don't know what relevancy this far more Umass ( or Mass. State College System ) car and windshield bumper stickers has in Massachusetts over Uconn has much to do with anything, frankly.

I love anecdotes and the eye test. I remember when cocktail chatter and lawn signs led Peggy Noonan to correctly predict that President Romney would beat Obama in 2012.

Enough. There are not "no" or "few" UConn fans/alums in Boston no matter how many more paragraphs you write.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I went to Suffolk Downs last month and there were several UConn shirts including a couple selling the beer. One BCU dude and he smelled.

Failure is a stinky cologne.

Reaction Score
I went to Suffolk Downs last month and there were several UConn shirts including a couple selling the beer. .
The current owner of Suffolk Downs in East Boston ( J. O' Donnell ) is a BC grad. I'm sure he was glad to see that you bought a ticket, no matter what you wore when you came through his gate. He apparently believes in hiring Uconn fans and / or alums to work as beer vendors at his track too.... and thats also refreshing to know, imo.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
On Block Island this summer for two weeks I probably saw a dozen Uconn shirts; not a single BC

I don't often clean the bilge on my boat, but when I do; it is with a BC t-shirt...

INFphoto_3128596-1200x545_c.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA