Hey Dan….. (merged threads) | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hey Dan….. (merged threads)

Reaction Score
Tristan doesn’t do anything with purpose. He doesn’t come off screens with purpose, doesn’t drive with purpose, doesn’t even pass with purpose. He’s too slow at PG for a team that likes to run.
I really do wish we had Cole. He was a lot better in running the offense and creating shots as a PG. I knew he would be missed. I did like when we went to the 2 PG look at the end of the 1st half with Diarra and Newton. It gave us two guys who can dribble penetrate. It sucks that neither Hawkins or Jackson are good at it.

Reaction Score
We weren’t going undefeated. Let’s respond. I don’t like how it went down, but a loss in conference on the road to a great team, I’ll take.
I would take it better if team & coach didn't finish the game so poorly. That game should have been buzzer beater type win or loss not the mess it was by UConn the last 4 mins.

UConn still a very good team but X exposed some deficiencies that need to be cleaned up if want to win BE.

Reaction Score
That would be because the wrong players were on the floor. No one in their right mind should have expected Karaban to perform well there. He's a freshman and it wasn't his best night. It happens, but you have to PROTECT your freshman from nights like tonight.
Huh? Karaban needed to be out there as another 3 point threat. The 3 ball is the only thing offensively that kept us in the game. Karabam didn't look flustered...he just missed his shots

Reaction Score
At some time in the game, when you’ve been getting jobbed, you make your point and you stand up for your players. That was not the time in the game.

Reaction Score
Only took one loss for this thread. Kind of interesting when you think about it
It doesnt Mean the sky is falling, lol. But he did get outcoached imo… didn’t change lineups or offensive sets nearly enough.

Reaction Score
Excellent game plan from Xavier, Miller hammered those screen actions and got tons of good looks off those. Thought UConn was going to take it when they came out hot in the second half but Nunge coming back really settled them in. Not a bad loss by any means, just surprised we didn’t see Diarra a little more in the second half, after that transition turnover he basically got buried on the bench. Thought he brought a lot in the first half and settled them in. Biggest concern for the team is Newton late in games and his propensity to be a little loose with the ball. I think we’ll have some minor minute adjustments there.

Reaction Score
How quickly things turn on Hurley & co. after a loss lol. It was bad, but we’ll learn from it & be fine - the refs were trash & the play/coaching wasn’t the best, but it’s a vital learning experience. We will be fine.
This game had a March Madness vibe to it. Hostile environment and a pesky underdog going toe to toe.
We have the most talent and deepest bench in the country, but we let X dictate to us instead of the other way around. You gotta have more Clingan in a game like this. He was the difference early.

Reaction Score
Tough ask to play a freshman over a NPOY candidate though.

I'll take substance over hype every day of the week.

I think this is the number one issue with this team going forward, Clingan is being held back because Danny feels like he can't bench the junior with all of the hype.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
They played horrible team defense and looked flat. They played soft all game content playing from the perimeter and never really driving or putting pressure on attacking the driving lanes and rim.

They made it very easy for Xavier to not foul and not get to the free throw line

Newton was completely out of sync and Hurley didn’t want to make a change. Befuddling coaching by Hurley today. Thought he had grown and adjusted this year but reverted back to his deficiencies from prior years
This is the issue this year. Thus far, haven’t really needed his coaching. We’ve just been more talented than the other team. Today showed that he really hasn’t learned much. In close games, he loses his mind and the team follows suit.

Reaction Score
Sanogo was bad stats aside.
Newton was bad. We’ll leave it at That.
40 3 pt attempts.
Refusal to play clingan and Diarra.

We haven’t worked the ball inside with set plays in 4 games. People are adapting to Sanogo, we need a change.

And that T.

Just gross ending to the game.

C'mon. You don't mean it. You're just upset we lost.

We didn't play well today. And a lot of the time it was 8 on 5. We still could have won. It happens over the course of a seaon.

Reaction Score
It doesnt Mean the sky is falling, lol. But he did get outcoached imo… didn’t change lineups or offensive sets nearly enough.
Yeah it was weird he didn't put Diarra in there in the second half when we needed someone who could create offense. Just a baffling move to keep Newton in there alone as the only person to facilitate offense. They were letting us taking 3's and we were missing them.

XLCenterFan

CT, NE
Reaction Score
I would take it better if team & coach didn't finish the game so poorly. That game should have been buzzer beater type win or loss not the mess it was by UConn the last 4 mins.
True. But that's the first time this team has been in that spot together...in that environment. Shouldn't have been in that spot, but we ended up in it. Let's respond. We know who we got next. PC better look out.

Reaction Score
They wouldn’t have won their first 14 games without Hurley - he’s made some great coaching moves to get them here. All is well in Storrs, we’ll see them on January 25th!

Reaction Score
Karaban and Sanogo couldn't guard anyone and somehow Sanogo plays 33 minutes and Clingan plays 7, then Hurley loses is composure with the game on the line and the team follows his lead losing their composure. I hoped Hurley was beyond this stuff at this point, he was outcoached today which would be easier to accept (Miller is a really good coach) if he didn't blow our chances with the tech.

A loss on the road to a really good X team is fine but I hate the way it happened and it makes me a bit nervous.

Also, we need Samson back. Karaban needs more rest overall and some matchups are just bad for him, today was a terrible matchup for him and Hurley left him out there to get abused. X was the fresher team which should never be the case with our depth.
Absolutely on Clingan. Had 4 points, 2 rebounds and a big block and got SEVEN minutes. DH falls too in love with Adama. He’s a great talent but he’s a worse defender and the offense is too simple when he’s in, either dump down to him, which teams are starting to defend better, or settle for threes. I like the balance of the team when Clingan is in. He’s too talented to be relegated to a 7 minute backup center.

Reaction Score
At the end of the day, we let them put up 83 on us. They beat us in the paint , I expect us to correct that next time we see them and hopefully if Johnson comes back he could help inside defensively.

Eventually someone was going to exploit that. Karaban is a freshman and he’s not a really big body compared to stronger 4’s. Jerome Hunter punished us inside

Reaction Score
The offense hasn’t looked too good for like 3 games in a row. Needed Joey C to help us over come a 7 point 2nd half deficit to the worst team in the league. Needed Diarras late game efforts against Nova.

Yes it’s one loss but it is worrisome since the next game is on the road against a very good Providence team with a better coach. Then home to a Creighton team who finally has it together and an even better coach.

Reaction Score
And Jackson didn’t either. Kid thinks he’s a 3 point shooter now.
Also dislike his defense. He consistently gets beat going to the rim, relying on the fact, he can usually outjump a player and block them from behind. That is not good defense.
He sometimes doesn't box out and just thinks he can out jump people which is bad fundamentals. Though my boy Hawkins looked too one dimensional and how a bout using your midrange game when they cut you off. Just not a good looking offense. We were saved by at the 3's we got.

Reaction Score
Clown. If you were told we would be 14-1 at the end of 2022 you wouldn’t be happy? A ton of people in this place definitely want UConn to lose its mind numbing
That has absolutely nothing to do with my post, no one said a thing about having any discontent with our record lmao. You’re the clown.Andre doesn’t drive and finish at the rim in the half court. Have I simplified it enough for you, or is that still tripping you up?

Reaction Score
Sucks to be 14-1 doesn’t it? Go home
Oh spare me. We can still call out bad decisions when they’re made. He made some bad decisions today and it cost us the game. Anyone who doesn’t think getting a T at that moment wasn’t foolish is foolish themselves. You go home.

HuskyWarrior611

Mid range white knight
Reaction Score
I'll take substance over hype every day of the week. I think this is the number one issue with this team going forward. Clingan is being held back by the hype that surrounds Sanogo, it needs to be addressed.
I 100% agree with you. Hurley is known to be loyal to upperclassmen though and Sanogo is a leader on the team. I just don’t see him giving Clingan more deserved time because it would be over Sanogo of all people.

Reaction Score
3s weren't going in today and the solution was to shoot more 3s.
We were shooting 43% on 3's before the last 2 minutes. They were going in.
That's not getting "outcoached." That's not coaching optimally. Outcoaching is when the other coach makes a move or scheme and our coach doesn't react. Wasn't really any of that. They had good guys making plays at home. We had guys making some plays, but not enough.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lilmisangel

Top Bottom