Herbst Stepping Down | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Sort of what needs to happen when there is no money dontcha think?

As long as you don't mind having no future, you can cut all you want. I heard Zimbabwe spends very little too!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I chose to be involved in the real world so am not qualified to be a member of academia.

I could however help them with some math and explain the concept of ‘fudiciary responsibility’, since I’m pretty sure there aren’t many people at the school or in the legislature that get it.

With apologies to Harry Truman, Chicago and @superjohn

UConn needs you
@whaler11
Whaler could you please come home
Things are looking bad
I know you would be mad
To see what kind of women
Prevail upon the school you love

UConn is wondering
How we got here
Whaler all we get is lies
We're gettin' better dorms
Scholarships to arms
From women who'd sell us out
To get themselves a piece of power

We'd love to hear you speak your mind
In plain and simple ways
Call a spade a spade
Like you did back in the day
You would play piano
Each morning walk a mile
Speak of what was going down
Each honesty and style

UConn is calling
@whaler11
Whaler you know what to do
Our world is turnin' round and losin' lots of ground
Oh Whaler is there something we can do to save the school we love
Oh woah woah woah

UConn is calling
@whaler11
Our world is turnin' round
And losin' lots of ground
So Whaler is there something we can do to save the school we love
Oh
Whaler is there something we can do to save the school we love
Whaler

Reaction Score
I know as UConn fans we're conditioned to view everything through the conference affiliation prism

Unfortunately that's how everyone views it. Fans, the media, etc. They completely dropped the ball and it will set us back decades. Our peers are now a bunch of directional schools. When you look at it long term it's awful for the brand and positioning of the university. Being in the same sentence as ECU makes me want to vomit.

pj

Reaction Score
"None of us are indispensable."
Ouch. Not a grammar curmudeon by any means, but Sue should have somebody in the English department proofread for her.

"Some believe it can only be singular in construction, but that is not true. Most seem to think that because none can mean ‘not one’ that it is always singular, but none can also mean ‘not any’. " - None are or none is - Grammarist

Reaction Score
What do you want to bet that her pension coincidentally vests once she hits the 8 year mark?

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Yes, taking a hatchet to the state flagship university is definitely the best way to improve the state's economy.

Definitely, yes. This makes so much sense. Wow.

As long as you don't mind having no future, you can cut all you want. I heard Zimbabwe spends very little too!

Are you two dim?

THERE IS NO MONEY. IT’S NOT AN OPTION OR A CHOICE. THERE IS NO MONEY TO FUND THE SCHOOL.

That has been my point the entire fricking time. This day was always coming so spending to expand was idiotic because it isn’t sustainable.

The state is broke. Dead broke.

pj

Reaction Score

They spend as much as they can, just like the state of Connecticut.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
With apologies to Harry Truman, Chicago and @superjohn

UConn needs you
@whaler11
Whaler could you please come home
Things are looking bad
I know you would be mad
To see what kind of women
Prevail upon the school you love

UConn is wondering
How we got here
Whaler all we get is lies
We're gettin' better dorms
Scholarships to arms
From women who'd sell us out
To get themselves a piece of power

We'd love to hear you speak your mind
In plain and simple ways
Call a spade a spade
Like you did back in the day
You would play piano
Each morning walk a mile
Speak of what was going down
Each honesty and style

UConn is calling
@whaler11
Our world is turnin' round and losin' lots of ground
Oh Whaler is there something we can do to save the school we love
Oh woah woah woah

UConn is calling
@whaler11
Our world is turnin' round
And losin' lots of ground
So Whaler is there something we can do to save the school we love
Oh
Whaler

If you want to ‘save the school’, you need to retrench and narrow the scope.

It gives academics the bad feelz but it’s time to stop pretending and start dealing with reality.

Reaction Score
Unfortunately that's how everyone views it. Fans, the media, etc. They completely dropped the ball and it will set us back decades. Our peers are now a bunch of directional schools. When you look at it long term it's awful for the brand and positioning of the university. Being in the same sentence as ECU makes me want to vomit.

That is simply not how everyone views it. The fan bases of schools that are set actually pay little attention to conference realignment and affiliation.

Reaction Score
Are you two dim?

THERE IS NO MONEY. IT’S NOT AN OPTION OR A CHOICE. THERE IS NO MONEY TO FUND THE SCHOOL.

That has been my point the entire fricking time. This day was always coming so spending to expand was idiotic because it isn’t sustainable.

I think you have a tough time with concepts of macro economics

Reaction Score
Find me a public university in the USA and I can find you many useless administrators. Every public High School too. And just as many useless professors teaching useless subjects. UConn isn't unusual in that regard.
Admin I can agree with, most USA UNIs are bloated with just too much admin and they pay they get is even more insane. But "useless" subjects is super subjective and very unfair and, well, incorrect.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think you have a tough time with concepts of macro economics

Yeah I guess my economics degree is a real barrier to understanding what is happening here.

I’m sorry that you can’t grasp addition and subtraction and how the state budget works.

Another guy from somewhere else telling me how things work here. Always love that.

Pssst - It’s a state budget - you can’t deficit spend, Hartford isn’t DC.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Admin I can agree with, most USA UNIs are bloated with just too much admin and they pay they get is even more insane. But "useless" subjects is super subjective and very unfair and, well, incorrect.

No one wants admin. But the admin came in when business and corporate measures were put into place. A lot of middle management, a lot of useless reports that no one reads, a lot of BS jobs, people telling you how to fudge your metrics. I'm pretty sure it wasn't the idea of any of the faculty to do this.

Reaction Score
If you want to ‘save the school’, you need to retrench and narrow the scope.

It gives academics the bad feelz but it’s time to stop pretending and start dealing with reality.

You can retrench any time you want--but you can call yourself a real university after you do. Not like the B1G or AAU schools anyway.

Reaction Score
Are you two dim?

And yet, Connecticut spends in the bottom quintile for higher education per student. So, spend much less for what you're already not spending much on. You call that fiduciary responsibility? I call that myopic.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You can retrench any time you want--but you can call yourself a real university after you do. Not like the B1G or AAU schools anyway.

Maybe you haven’t noticed but UConn isn’t in the Big Ten or AAU?

Where exactly Professor do you propose the money come from to keep spending?

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I'm sure you're needed in your job too.

Considering what they pay me and the revenue I directly support being over a billion dollars a year, I'd say, yeah. I'm pretty much a bargain.

Public Universities need to narrow their scope and eliminate whole departments that don't directly prepare their students to find meaningful employment. The role of the public university has changed. If the word "studies" is included in a major it can pretty safely be eliminated.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
And yet, Connecticut spends in the bottom quintile for higher education per student. So, spend much less for what you're already not spending much on. You call that fiduciary responsibility? I call that myopic.

I didn’t make the deals with the unions.

I’m sorry if reality offends you. Swing by the math department - maybe they can show you addition and subtraction.

Do you just walk around buying yachts and airplanes? Why don’t you - those are awesome to have.

Reaction Score
Yeah I guess my economics degree is a real barrier to understanding. what is happening here.

I’m sorry that you can’t grasp addition and subtraction and how the state budget works.

Another guy from somewhere else telling me how things work here. Always love that.

Pssst - It’s a state budget - you can’t deficit spend, Hartford isn’t DC.

An econ degree from Syracuse?

Actually, states can deficit spend.

But yes, let's cut off the hand to feed the mouth.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
An econ degree from Syracuse?

Actually, states can deficit spend.

But yes, let's cut off the hand to feed the mouth.

Oh someone disagrees about Suzie Lax and they must have gone to Syracuse! Good burn.

States can’t.

You clearly don’t get the situation. Don’t feel too bad it’s pretty common around here that people elsewhere spew nonsense based off their ignorance of the situation.

There is no money. That’s the hard reality. Your Queen saw her money train was ending and bailed on you. Further exposed as the total fraud she is. Maybe this go around it will be someone not so ethically challenged. Dare to dream!

Reaction Score
I didn’t make the deals with the unions.

I’m sorry if reality offends you. Swing by the math department - maybe they can show you addition and subtraction.

Do you just walk around buying yachts and airplanes? Why don’t you - those are awesome to have.

This is unbelievably stupid.

You can't compare this to buying yachts and airplanes. Did you get a mortgage to buy a house?

Guess what! You, an individual, went into debt to improve your future value.

If you insist on viewing government spending the same way as you view individual spending then this is how you should view it.

Connecticut, by investing in UConn, is investing in the future.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NYCVET

Top Bottom