Herbst Stepping Down | Page 14 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Certainly Chief is not an expert on this topic but as a casual health observer the UConn Health Center has not been particularly well managed. Financial deficits and high infection rates. I am sure many great doctors and researchers but have they gotten it done on the business and management side?
agree with u there except for the infection rates. Most UCONN professors in the medical school r not UCONN employees. They r affiliated with the school like I m. Susan is working very hard to get it going and we do see green shoots. Yale receive $400 million yearly in NIH funding, UCONN less then 10% of that. The biosciences have a long way to go. Maybe Jackson labs will downsize the Bar Harbor location soon and relocate most of the research to Farmington.

Reaction Score
It's more the fact that it appears she didn't involved the AD at all (ie not using all the resources at her disposal) and the fact that she couldn't read the landscape. Seems more like an elementary school principle after reading.

Or maybe it is more like the "why can't Cleveland recruit top flight free agents to play with Lebron" - and then blame it on Lebron, and not the fact that Cleveland is Cleveland. I'm not equating Herbst with Lebron, but we have been at this for years and I still haven't seen one shred of evidence that the outcome would have been different had we "tried harder".

Short of telling the ACC we would forgo all TV money for 20 years I'm not sure what the play was.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
Making STEM the focus is moronic. You need liberal arts. I work in the sciences with my CLAS degree (English and philosophy!). I can’t tell you how many STEM people can’t wrire. They will give me their information and I’ll ask so you think this means? And they will say here are the numbers... so thanks, I’ll come up with the analysis and communicate it myself, geniuses.

No comment on your point but this made me chuckle. haha

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
This is great, UT today just announce 2000 new additional positions in East Hartford. Those jobs are affiliate with the research centers in East Hartford. Infosys will also be adding 1200 to Hartford. All of these 3200 jobs are at least STEM BS degrees, I have a funny feeling that most of them require advance degrees. UCONN STEM pipeline is helping the state and I command Susan for it. Check out this piece in regards to the number of STEM students locally

CT works to expand engineering pipeline

^^^^ guy who has never worked with Infosys.

BTW Infosys is putting those jobs in Hartford because they have insurance clients there, the corporate leaders pledged to use them and they got 8 figures from the state.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
^^^^ guy who has never worked with Infosys.

BTW Infosys is putting those jobs in Hartford because they have insurance clients there, the corporate leaders pledged to use them and they got 8 figures from the state.

Laughed out loud. Love working with infosys, the car salesmen of the IT world.

Reaction Score
"Thanks Paul. No pressing reason to meet - we don't have much to discuss at this moment. I
have been talking with presidents/comissionners, and will report back if anything of
substance."

Back to the point that it was all done by that point. There was no reason to meet.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
As the Louisville to the ACC round went along, all I could think of were those emails. Rest assured, the thought of them didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

Yes, what's that expression about doing the same thing over and over again, expecting a different result, which defines...insanity, isn't it?

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
"Thanks Paul. No pressing reason to meet - we don't have much to discuss at this moment. I
have been talking with presidents/comissionners, and will report back if anything of
substance."
UConn is New York City's Team

In 2010-11, UConn Men's Basketball was the Most Viewed Big East Conference Team in New York City

• A combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games in the New York DMA
that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households
watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five times more than the number of
households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2.

• The top two-rated Syracuse men's basketbalf games in the New York DMA in 2010-11 were in
fact games against UConn.

• UConn's five games in the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000
combined households in the New York DMA, while 385,000 watched Syracuse games - a
number which was inflated with one game against hometown St. John's.

SNY (SportsNet New York) Recognizes The Popularity Of The UConn Brand

• SportsNet New York (SNY) is the New York TV home of the New York Mets and the BIG EAST
Conference. Although they have relationships with Syracuse, Rutgers, Seton Hall and St. John's,
the UConn-SNY relationship is unique as, the network devotes over 300 programming hours a
year to both UConn men's basketball and football. This number of program hours is almost
double the number of hours devoted to Rutgers programming and Syracuse receives only two-
third of that amount of hours.

• Not only does SNY show more UConn games than those of any other school, they also present
live pre-game and post-game shows of UConn events, a broadcast of weekly football press
conferences, weekly rebroadcasts of football and men's basketball games, and condensed
versions of football replays. This programming is unique to UConn and SNY when compared to
other BIG EAST schools.

• UConn men's basketball games were watched by a combined 355,000 households on SNY during
the 2010-11 season over the course of 13 games. These 13 games were contests that were not
selected by ESPN or ESPN2. A total of 120,000 combined households in the New York DMA
watched UConn basketball on SNY before January 1, 2011 - when overall interest in college
basketball is low.

• In 2011-12, UConn will make 13 appearances on SNY, while Syracuse, Rutgers and St. John's will
each make fewer than 10.

UConn Dominates New York, Madison Square Garden, And The BIG EAST Tournament

• UConn has won seven BIG EAST Tournament Championships at Madison Square Garden - the
most of any school.

• Over the past ten years, UConn is the on!y school to rank among the top two league institutions
in tickets purchased to the tournament by their supports. The other school paired with UConn
has varied greatly over the years.

• The UConn women's basketball team played before a crowd of 15.232 against Ohio State in
Madison Square Garden in December 2010 - the second-largest crowd for a women's
basketball game (college or professional} at MSG.

Although Relatively New, UConn Football is Popular in Both New York and Boston

• In three of the last four years, UConn's national television rating of its bowl game has been
higher than the Rutgers bowl game - including doubling the mark in 2007 and 2011.

• In a recent New York Times article*, UConn was ranked ahead of Syracuse among the most
popular college football teams in the New York DMA, and UConn was the only BIG EAST school
listed among the top five most popular college football teams In both the New York and Boston
DMAs.

realignment-chaos/

Prepared: October 18, 2011

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01