Herbst Stepping Down | Page 13 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Certainly Chief is not an expert on this topic but as a casual health observer the UConn Health Center has not been particularly well managed. Financial deficits and high infection rates. I am sure many great doctors and researchers but have they gotten it done on the business and management side?

University Health Centers are notorious money-suckers.

Reaction Score
STEM is important but the amount of people who want to turn universities into worker bee creation factories to do nothing but feed the corporate world and become nothing but wage slaves is astronomically high ever since a certain party started attacking higher education
That, of course, would be the Know Nothing party.

Stop.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Someone who can take tomorrow, dip it in a dream, separate the sorrow and collect up all the cream.
mean-girls-screencap-mean-girls-2343587-1600-900-630x354.jpg

"You're weird."​

Reaction Score
-She was ill prepared to manage conference realignment.
-Her hire for AD was ill prepared to hire conference realignment.
-Her hire for AD hired Bob Diaco.
-Her hire for AD was responsible for Ollie's ridiculous contract stipulations/buy out.
-She's been completely tone deaf regarding athletics and its impact to the state/alumni.

UConn football can't seem to win more than 3 games a season and basketball just had back to back losing seasons.

Athletics are in the tank, in a horrible league and the AD is bleeding money.

Are you going to argue we're in better shape now than when she took over?
It's been amazing to me how she has basically gotten a pass on this board while of this happened on her watch. The counter argument was always she has done amazing things for academics. I'm not qualified at all to know the ins and outs of what she has done on that front, but I've never logged onto this forum to see the latest on STEM up at UConn.

Who will ever forget the email from Paul Pendergast to her as Pitt and Cuse, were bolting? 100 percent amateur hour.

Reaction Score
Who will ever forget the email from Paul Pendergast to her as Pitt and Cuse, were bolting? 100 percent amateur hour.

Can you remind me about the content of the Pendergast email?

Reaction Score
It's been amazing to me how she has basically gotten a pass on this board while of this happened on her watch. The counter argument was always she has done amazing things for academics. I'm not qualified at all to know the ins and outs of what she has done on that front, but I've never logged onto this forum to see the latest on STEM up at UConn.

She had been on the job for what, 3 months when that happened? Pendergast, clearly a placeholder, wasn't even officially on the job yet.

The seeds for this were planted long before she started, and I place the blame far more on the previous administration -- particularly the athletic department who should have been pushing aggressively to market us to other conferences. Hogan was probably capable, but was looking for another job for most of 2009 and 10. From a timing standpoint, it was a really $#*$*&y time to be transitioning at both the presidential and AD levels, though the hiring of Pendergast as the interim AD can certainly be criticized and demonstrated just how blind everyone was to the coming departures.

If Mike Hogan had stayed on another year . . .

If Hathaway had been replaced a year earlier . . .

If the interim AD had been someone within the department . . .

If . . . .

Reaction Score

UConn was blackballed already by September. That had already happened. The first choices were UConn and Syracuse. When BC blackballed them, Pitt was chosen. That occurred prior to any email from Pendergast.

Not sure what UConn could have done earlier than that to upend BC's fear of competing against UConn.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score

Just read it. So basically PP was saying we need to get our ass in gear. And she replied that it's a presidential matter and that PP (the int AD) shouldn't be involved. And that she was 'monitoring' the situation and 'talking' to lots of people.

Basically she cut out the AD and did nothing? Yikes.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
Just read it. So basically PP was saying we need to get our ass in gear. And she replied that it's a presidential matter and that PP (the int AD) shouldn't be involved. And that she was 'monitoring' the situation and 'talking' to lots of people.

Gee, I wonder now where Warde Manuel got the expression "monitoring the situation" from? :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
That's all so embarrassing.
Except

combined 1.35 million households watched UConn basketball games in the New York DMA
that were televised on ESPN or ESPN2. That number doubled the number of households
watching Syracuse games on ESPN or ESPN2 and was five times more than the number of
households that watched Rutgers on ESPN or ESPN2.

• The top two-rated Syracuse men's basketbalf games in the New York DMA in 2010-11 were in
fact games against UConn.

• UConn's five games in the BIG EAST tournament were watched by a combined 590,000
combined households in the New York DMA, while 385,000 watched Syracuse games - a
number which was inflated with one game against hometown St. John's.

That part was nice

Reaction Score

As I said, it was already over by the time those emails were sent.

Read this: Power move by ACC

Reaction Score
Now I get it. The Boneyard position is that if we just had let PP do his thing, everything would have worked out perfectly.

Reaction Score
Herbst comes off as "rah rah" type person rather than a true executive. Time to hire an ex-senator or ex-CEO as president.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
As I said, it was already over by the time those emails were sent.

Read this: Power move by ACC

It's more the fact that it appears she didn't involved the AD at all (ie not using all the resources at her disposal) and the fact that she couldn't read the landscape. Seems more like an elementary school principle after reading.

Reaction Score
She references the Knight Commission as though they might be taken seriously.

You can’t even make it up.
This aged well:

e nation as you know, some real intentions, light
signaling, contradictory rumors, and conversation. Can't comment right now, but
I am in the conversation for sure, and will be certain UConn is on a good track for the future.

Reaction Score

As the Louisville to the ACC round went along, all I could think of were those emails. Rest assured, the thought of them didn’t exactly inspire confidence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Reaction Score
That, of course, would be the Know Nothing party.

Stop.
Making STEM the focus is moronic. You need liberal arts. I work in the sciences with my CLAS degree (English and philosophy!). I can’t tell you how many STEM people can’t wrire. They will give me their information and I’ll ask so you think this means? And they will say here are the numbers... so thanks, I’ll come up with the analysis and communicate it myself, geniuses.

Reaction Score
This is great, UT today just announce 2000 new additional positions in East Hartford. Those jobs are affiliate with the research centers in East Hartford. Infosys will also be adding 1200 to Hartford. All of these 3200 jobs are at least STEM BS degrees, I have a funny feeling that most of them require advance degrees. UCONN STEM pipeline is helping the state and I command Susan for it. Check out this piece in regards to the number of STEM students locally

CT works to expand engineering pipeline

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom