Herbst Stepping Down | Page 11 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
You're claiming you actually wanted to appeal to the masses at one point? This is like that one time Serrano yelled at me for being an to someone. Weird stuff.

You are a bright kid. How many likes did that post get?

Yeah when you have upset some you tell them a little bit what they want to hear so they listen to the rest.

C

Chief00

This doesn't make me feel very sanguine that our conference situation will be changing anytime soon.

Regardless of what Malloy, McHugh and posters here think of her, Herbst wasn’t well liked or respected in the President’s club. I would make that a critical qualification this time around. It’s essential to getting in a major conference.

Last edited by a moderator:

dennismenace

ONE MORE CAST
Reaction Score
Find me a public university in the USA and I can find you many useless administrators. Every public High School too. And just as many useless professors teaching useless subjects. UConn isn't unusual in that regard.
Add to that the rating systems which consider those pluses (ratios etc.) and you can understand why the costs are a runaway freight train
I think you have a tough time with concepts of macro economics
It appears that companies and individuals with wealth who are leaving the state have a pretty good view that their are better
macro views in other states. I don't think Uconn is the problem per se at all. It really is a great investment and though I did not attend here I talk it up to anyone I meet. Every bureaucracy needs to be looked at regularly to reign in costs just like a household. It is the cities that are killing this state and they had best find a way to get private investment here or we will continue to deteriorate.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
If a doctor could recommend a prostate exam based on message board posts - this pathetic trickle would suffice.

After predicting UConn to the Big Ten for years... now you are absolving people who condemned UConn to the American?
Ah, so you have no basis for how she "ran UConn athletics into the ground." Why am I not particularly surprised?

Reaction Score
Regardless of what Malloy, McHugh and posters here think of her, Herbst wasn’t well liked or respected in the President’s club. I would make that a critical qualification this time around. It’s essential to getting to a major conference.

Up north, they hire faculty to be presidents.
Down south, they hire ex-Senators and businessmen. Two different type of people.

Reaction Score
Add to that the rating systems which consider those pluses (ratios etc.) and you can understand why the costs are a runaway freight train

Except costs aren't up.
People confuse exponential increases in tuition with a rise in costs. Expenditures are not rising faster than the cost of living.
Tuition is rising exponentially faster.
I posted an article on costs/tuitions on the realignment board a couple of weeks ago.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Ah, so you have no basis for how she "ran UConn athletics into the ground." Why am I not particularly surprised?

-She was ill prepared to manage conference realignment.
-Her hire for AD was ill prepared to hire conference realignment.
-Her hire for AD hired Bob Diaco.
-Her hire for AD was responsible for Ollie's ridiculous contract stipulations/buy out.
-She's been completely tone deaf regarding athletics and its impact to the state/alumni.

UConn football can't seem to win more than 3 games a season and basketball just had back to back losing seasons.

Athletics are in the tank, in a horrible league and the AD is bleeding money.

Are you going to argue we're in better shape now than when she took over?

Reaction Score
-Her hire for AD was responsible for Ollie's ridiculous contract stipulations/buy out.
-She's been completely tone deaf regarding athletics and its impact to the state/alumni.

UConn football can't seem to win more than 3 games a season and basketball just had back to back losing seasons.

Yeah but what about all the sports nobody cares about?! They're doing great.

UConnNick

from Vince Lombardi's home town
Reaction Score
What do you base this belief on?

I'm also not sure how sure how others can say she ran athletics into the ground. Did she secretly make lead the raid on the Big East?

She and Manuel appeared to sit idly by watching Tom Jurich run the end around play to get the ACC bid. Maybe Loserville gets it anyway, but the lack of effort from our administration was negligent and clueless. You can also argue it's hindsight, but she hired Manuel without the recogniton and awareness that he already had one foot out the door toward Ann Arbor from day one at UCONN. He also made a disasterous hire when Bobby Fiasco landed in Storrs. Sorry, but she gets to own those two hires and the resulting disaster that football has become, hindsight or not.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
Yeah but what about all the sports nobody cares about?! They're doing great.

I should add the move to Hockey East was crazy as well.

Just adding more scholarships and costs to run a program that we have no means to pay for and the vast majority of people don't care about. Hell, we don't even have a building for them to play in with a requirement for an on-campus area supposedly due by 2019.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Just adding more scholarships and costs to run a program that we have no means to pay for and the vast majority of people don't care about. Hell, we don't even have a building for them to play in with a requirement for an on-campus area supposedly due by 2019.

They are going to be like that team in the Atlantic League that only plays road games.

ConnHuskBask

Shut Em Down!
Reaction Score
They are going to be like that team in the Atlantic League that only plays road games.

The Pennsylvania Road Warriors!

Hockey's not a success all of a sudden?

Is it sustainable? Just like gaming the US News Rankings, it's fine when you can afford to do it, but what happens when the chickens come home to roost? Where is the money coming from the run the program, let alone build a new arena?

UConnNick

Reaction Score

The affect of the Herbst Era on UCONN athletics cannot be summarized any better than this.

Reaction Score

One of the many positives with UConn joining Hockey East is that at least our hockey program is in a major conference.

UConnNick

Reaction Score
I think the decision to upgrade the hockey programs was all about conference realignment and looking more viable as an overall athletics program to the Big 10. For those reasons I'm not going to second guess the decision or motivation for it, regardless of the costs and necessary infrastructure upgrades. It was probably the right move to make at the time it was made.

Reaction Score

Yeah don't get me wrong, im glad baseball is doing well, being in hockey east is neat and women's basketball keeps us somewhat relevant but those sports really don't matter.

Reaction Score
Since this thread has become just throwing out total nonsense #hottakes here's mine:

I'd get rid of football before I got rid of hockey or baseball.

I'm so smart, you are so dumb. My opinion is the only one that matters!!! BOOOM.

(Isn't this it works?)

Get a grip, people.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom