Herbst Stepping Down | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Are you talking about my argument? That's a policy choice more than a budgetary one. But Herbst was all about STEM, which is the correct area of focus. Classic liberal arts have a place of course. But if the state is subsidizing/funding public education, then it should direct that money in a way that produces graduates who become meaningful taxpayers, not Baristas at Starbucks. Not just CT, every state. The whole higher ed system is a house of cards right now.

I liked Herbst. I think she had the right ideas for the most part. Partner with business, focus on STEM.

I don't know very many liberal arts alum from UConn who are Baristas...

I'm very happy with my job and my BA.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I agree that I don't think Whaler is, but there are people in the state legislature that are essentially arguing for that.

I would love to be able to better fund UConn.

I would love to be able to have it be a huge economic growth engine.

You are confusing what the legislature is has to do with what I want.

There is no money available. Ironically, the only way to make money available would be to default on the pension liability - which wouldn’t really help improve UConn’s situation.

Reaction Score
I don't know very many liberal arts alum from UConn who are Baristas...

I'm very happy with my job and my BA.

And no I wasn't talking about your argument. STEM is obviously important.

Reaction Score
I would love to be able to better fund UConn.

I would love to be able to have it be a huge economic growth engine.

You are confusing what the legislature is has to do with what I want.

There is no money available. Ironically, the only way to make money available would be to default on the pension liability - which wouldn’t really help improve UConn’s situation.

I think there's a lot of wastefulness and ineffeciancy that can be cut from the state budget before you start taking a hatchet to UConn.

Reaction Score
And no I wasn't talking about your argument. STEM is obviously important.
STEM is important but the amount of people who want to turn universities into worker bee creation factories to do nothing but feed the corporate world and become nothing but wage slaves is astronomically high ever since a certain party started attacking higher education

Reaction Score
Sort of what needs to happen when there is no money dontcha think?

There's plenty of money, its just going to the wrong places. I have a hard time lobbying to cut UCONN funds since its a serious economic driver and has given a bunch of higher earners/achievers I know the willingness to move here and stay. Our school systems are a huge draw to the sate, and that includes UCONN.

Reaction Score
She doesn’t give a lick about sports, finds them to be at odds with her desires for a university (which is a fair opinion if one is honest about it.).

She hired a complete clown as Athletic Director who may have permanently killed the football program.

Under their watch the CR music stopped and ended up the biggest net loser in college sports. Blame will be ascribed elsewhere as well but they are not innocent bystanders.

She proved to be a unethical snake - lurching from tying her own fortunes to Ollie to trying to shoot him to sun on NCAA on technicalities.

The experience at games continues to devolve, attendance dropping, revenues flatlining.

The hockey program is the perfect example.
We are in Hockey East - Awesome! Now where exactly do they play when the XL Center finishes collapsing?

An on paper success that looks more unsustainable every day.

So other than essentially being in worse shape than any other major college athletic program after her 8 years - yeah she’s been awesome.

Thankfully some of the people who predated her arrival continue to perform. Imagine things without Geno. Bleak.

Unhinged ...

She took a University that was reeling after a particularly ineffective administration of Hogan and a positive (*yet flawed) tenure of Austin ... and completely put the University on a good track.

It is not just about Athletics folks. Even though some want to make that their case study.

Athletics is still a great department in the global world of 350 peers. WE still have the dominant Women's Program in any sport (and as much as you whine about this ... it is important). We have made the correct moves lately on Football (imho) with Edsall; it is a uniquely New England Northeast thing - and that means recruiting has to be very strategic, opportunistic, evaluative (and neither PP or BD proved adept at this core element). We will return to Bowls and maybe better. MBB was a mess because Ollie was not a full Program builder. We can all knock 2016-2018 ... he did lead a team to a National Championship. Meaning: he can coach and bring 8 guys to play roles to win at this level. Unfortunately, there are major flaws in his makeup to take what Calhoun built and bring it forward year after year. I think Hurley is the right fix. Kudos to DB on both these sports. Baseball and Hockey are on the upswing. Olympic Sports are good. Revenue? WTF don't you get. We did not get the lucky straw. Rutgers? With NJ demo is a better fit ... and they will never have Programs of Excellence as we do. Louisville? Sure. With a Jurich, we could bankrupt City & State with a YUM type deal to get into the ACC. That's corrupt ... but it worked. The Citizens of the Nutmeg State are far more educated and attuned to politics to let Jurich & Pitino types run them over with BS. Syracuse? Loser demo and Loser former Manufacturing city with little State appeal ... and the NYC bid is just more laughable than ours. WE kept drawing a bad card. And nothing Herbst or Manuel or any other insider could do Post 2010.

The State of the Campus? Excellent as I walk around. New building for residence; Storrs Center took 8 years of Planning ... and arrived and now thrives; Tech park infrastructure going; great Masterplans (I am sure you've reviewed these); and on & on.

The State of Academics? Who are you quoting? I talked to the head of the UConn Foundation on graduation Sunday and I am duly impressed over the last 5 years progress.

Unethical snake? Here we go. If you say so. It's like that Tweeting anything that comes to mind.

Reaction Score
There's plenty of money, its just going to the wrong places. I have a hard time lobbying to cut UCONN funds since its a serious economic driver and has given a bunch of higher earners/achievers I know the willingness to move here and stay. Our school systems are a huge draw to the sate, and that includes UCONN.
The problem is brain drain. We need some sort of incentive for people to stay. Maybe $5000 tution reimbursement if you're still in CT 3 years after graduation or something to that effect.

Reaction Score
Unhinged ...

She took a University that was reeling after a particularly ineffective administration of Hogan and a positive (*yet flawed) tenure of Austin ... and completely put the University on a good track.

It is not just about Athletics folks. Even though some want to make that their case study.

Athletics is still a great department in the global world of 350 peers. WE still have the dominant Women's Program in any sport (and as much as you whine about this ... it is important). We have made the correct moves lately on Football (imho) with Edsall; it is a uniquely New England Northeast thing - and that means recruiting has to be very strategic, opportunistic, evaluative (and neither PP or BD proved adept at this core element). We will return to Bowls and maybe better. MBB was a mess because Ollie was not a full Program builder. We can all knock 2016-2018 ... he did lead a team to a National Championship. Meaning: he can coach and bring 8 guys to play roles to win at this level. Unfortunately, there are major flaws in his makeup to take what Calhoun built and bring it forward year after year. I think Hurley is the right fix. Kudos to DB on both these sports. Baseball and Hockey are on the upswing. Olympic Sports are good. Revenue? WTF don't you get. We did not get the lucky straw. Rutgers? With NJ demo is a better fit ... and they will never have Programs of Excellence as we do. Louisville? Sure. With a Jurich, we could bankrupt City & State with a YUM type deal to get into the ACC. That's corrupt ... but it worked. The Citizens of the Nutmeg State are far more educated and attuned to politics to let Jurich & Pitino types run them over with BS. Syracuse? Loser demo and Loser former Manufacturing city with little State appeal ... and the NYC bid is just more laughable than ours. WE kept drawing a bad card. And nothing Herbst or Manuel or any other insider could do Post 2010.

The State of the Campus? Excellent as I walk around. New building for residence; Storrs Center took 8 years of Planning ... and arrived and now thrives; Tech park infrastructure going; great Masterplans (I am sure you've reviewed these); and on & on.

The State of Academics? Who are you quoting? I talked to the head of the UConn Foundation on graduation Sunday and I am duly impressed over the last 5 years progress.

Unethical snake? Here we go. If you say so. It's like that Tweeting anything that comes to mind.
That's an awful lot of excuses.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Unhinged ...

Ok - let’s hear how tying her contract and the Rockstar’s contract to Ollie wasn’t unethical.

Good luck.

And LOL on athletics. She didn’t ruin Geno or Stevens. What a great job!

Reaction Score
I don’t agree at all. I think people see that UCONN has to be part of the solution and they have streadfastky refused. Still hiring at a torrid pace. They live in a bubble.

If you're talking about hiring admins that make 6 figures, then yes. If you're talking about continuing to try and hire the best and brightest faculty in their fields, then you're wrong.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score

Feel free to take the budget and show us what you can cut to free up money for UConn. Good luck.

Reaction Score
If you're talking about hiring admins that make 6 figures, then yes. If you're talking about continuing to try and hire the best and brightest faculty in their fields, then you're wrong.
It would be nice if those faculty actually taught classes, though. Way too many TAs teaching half or entire courses

Reaction Score
Ok - let’s hear how tying her contract and the Rockstar’s contract to Ollie wasn’t unethical.

Good luck.

And LOL on athletics. She didn’t ruin Geno or Stevens. What a great job!
What about the $660,000 house in Hartford? Don't forget to keep that on your list lol

Reaction Score
It would be nice if those faculty actually taught classes, though. Way too many TAs teaching half or entire courses

Yes, of course. But is this because faculty don't have the same work load as faculty at peer institutions or is it because the student/faculty ratio is below that of peer institutions? (Honest question)

Reaction Score
"None of us are indispensable."
Ouch. Not a grammar curmudeon by any means, but Sue should have somebody in the English department proofread for her.

And the English department would have said this looks fine. You are incorrect. I am a grammar curmudgeon when I'm not writing on the 'yard.

Reaction Score
Tell your idiot neighbors to make up their minds. Opposed storrs center for decades. Now that it's built they won't move the HS because they like the storrs center so much.
Don’t forget the ones on Seperatist near Carriage House who sunk the proposed Tech Park back in late 80’s...they got Celeron instead. They ALWAYS had something to say about their lawns
Getting p is s ed on though!

Reaction Score
Feel free to take the budget and show us what you can cut to free up money for UConn. Good luck.

Ill start and finish quickly - Union pensions and healthcare. Cut the hell out of them, especially for those who've moved out of state. The unions have used every trick they can to improve their benefits (as would I) but they took it too far and now, just like if my private sector retirement investments took a hit, so does theirs.

Maybe if we cut the past mistakes, we can afford a future and UCONN is a big part of it.

Reaction Score
Yes, of course. But is this because faculty don't have the same work load as faculty at peer institutions or is it because the student/faculty ratio is below that of peer institutions? (Honest question)
I have no idea but I always found it ridiculous that I'd show up to class and literally never see the supposed "professor". It happened at least once a year

Reaction Score
Ill start and finish quickly - Union pensions and healthcare. Cut the hell out of them, especially for those who've moved out of state. The unions have used every trick they can to improve their benefits (as would I) but they took it too far and now, just like if my private sector retirement investments took a hit, so does theirs.

Maybe if we cut the past mistakes, we can afford a future and UCONN is a big part of it.
We can't cut the pensions. Its not an option unless we want to go to the supreme Court or declare bankruptcy

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
I think there's a lot of wastefulness and ineffeciancy that can be cut from the state budget before you start taking a hatchet to UConn.

It’s public record. Feel free to show your work.

It’s fixed costs that is the problem. The unfunded pension liability consumes everything.

Reaction Score

I'm thinking you could find a whole lot of waste in the Easterns/Centrals/Southerns/Westerns of the world.

Combine them into "Connecticut State University." It would probably be a better, more competitive school that could keep kids in state that can't get into UConn but are "above" the CCSUs of the world that would otherwise go to URI or UNH or something.

It would eliminate a lot of redundant positions and make it easier to bring more grants and funding into the state.

Stainmaster

Occasionally Constructive
Reaction Score
I'm thinking you could find a whole lot of waste in the Easterns/Centrals/Southerns/Westerns of the world.

Combine them into "Connecticut State University." It would probably be a better, more competitive school that could keep kids in state that can't get into UConn but are "above" the CCSUs of the world that would otherwise go to URI or UNH or something.

It would eliminate a lot of redundant positions and make it easier to bring more grants and funding into the state.

Inb4 Central Guy shows up in a huff.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ranon

Top Bottom