Herbst Stepping Down | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Herbst Stepping Down

Reaction Score
Would you say Herbst's tenure was generally good for UConn or bad for UConn?
Student quality of life took a nose dive under her tenure. I think she was generally ok for the UConn brand but her communications team was awful and she had plenty of media blunders that could have been handled better

Reaction Score
Not that I think WTIC had anything to do with her leaving, I just think they will be the Flagship radio for Uconn.

I think this opens the door for them, just my two cents.

I wish Susan well.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
Would you say Herbst's tenure was generally good for UConn or bad for UConn?

She did a bunch of stuff that looks good on paper but is not sustainable in the long term.

Essenially she spent a ton of money, inproved the rankings, enriched a bunch of useless adminstrators and then walked out the door when the chickens were going to come home to roost.

A bunch of people here will actually use this in the future as a plus for her. When there is no money and the inevitiable slide begins they will say: OMG look how much we miss her - missing the fact that she created the dynamic and then left us holding the bag.

Oh and she ran the athletic department into the ground. Which I’m told doesn’t matter... which is odd being a sports message board.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
The going is about to get tough so the fraud is getting going. This is a great day. I love when frauds out themselves.

Maybe they can find someone who can lead without focusing on a gravy train for useless administrators.

Find me a public university in the USA and I can find you many useless administrators. Every public High School too. And just as many useless professors teaching useless subjects. UConn isn't unusual in that regard.

Reaction Score
Student quality of life took a nose dive under her tenure. I think she was generally ok for the UConn brand but her communications team was awful and she had plenty of media blunders that could have been handled better

The quality of life while on campus took a nose dive, but I'd say their quality of life post graduation has improved.

Reaction Score
She's leaving the right way, plenty of notice and promises of a smooth transition. Speculating on her announcement, my bet is she wants to drive growth at another, maybe private, university. Fighting to maintain adequate levels of UConn funding in a rapidly declining state isn't of interest to her. Certainly understandable.

Reaction Score
She did a bunch of stuff that looks good on paper but is not sustainable in the long term.

Essenially she spent a ton of money, inproved the rankings, enriched a bunch of useless adminstrators and then walked out the door when we the chickens were going to come home to roost.

A bunch of people will here will actually use this in the future as a plus for her. When there is no money and the inevitiable slide begins they will say: OMG look how much we miss her - missing the fact that she created the dynamic and then left us holding the bag.

Oh and she ran the athletic department into the ground. Which I’m told doesn’t matter... which is odd being a sports message board.

I guess we'll find out.

She obviously did some shady things, but I think a lot of the improvements are much deeper than just paper.

Reaction Score

She always gets a pass on this but it's really inexcusable. We got caught with our pants down and she had no clue what to do.

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
When is your interview?

I chose to be involved in the real world so am not qualified to be a member of academia.

I could however help them with some math and explain the concept of ‘fudiciary responsibility’, since I’m pretty sure there aren’t many people at the school or in the legislature that get it.

Reaction Score
The quality of life while on campus took a nose dive, but I'd say their quality of life post graduation has improved.
We were already trending up before her, though. She rode the wave and now someone is going to have to deal with the windfall

whaler11

Head Happy Hour Coach
Reaction Score
She always gets a pass on this but it's really inexcusable. We got caught with our pants down and she had no clue what to do.

This does get everyone off scott free if they lose to Ollie. Another clue that we should have seen.

Reaction Score
Find me a public university in the USA and I can find you many useless administrators. Every public High School too. And just as many useless professors teaching useless subjects. UConn isn't unusual in that regard.

I'm sure you're needed in your job too.

Reaction Score
I could however help them with some math and explain the concept of ‘fudiciary responsibility’, since I’m pretty sure there aren’t many people at the school or in the legislature that get it.

OK, then, explain the concept:
latest

willie99

Loving life & enjoying the ride, despite the bumps
Reaction Score
I think she's done an amazing job for the University. In all the things that matter most to a University, things have improved.

Even in sports, most of our programs are doing well. She didn't hire Paul Pasq to coach out football team, but she fired the man who did. She hired KO, but who wouldn't listen to Jim Calhoun? He did win a national title, and she fired him too.

Academic standing is soaring, despite budget cuts.

I wish she would stay, I hope we find a replacement as good as she is

Reaction Score

I know as UConn fans we're conditioned to view everything through the conference affiliation prism and she obviously failed miserably at that.

However, let's take a step back for a second; during her time here the men's team has won two national championships, the women's team has won 5. The football team went to a Fiesta Bowl. Hockey joined Hockey East and (hopefully) will get a new on campus arena soon. The baseball, softball and soccer teams are getting the new facilities that those programs deserve.

If that's a program in the ground, im excited for the sky the next president will obtain.

Reaction Score
Sounds to me there was a mutual parting of the ways, and while presidents are often not in their positions for very long (which explains transitions) there could be a more negative reading of this. She may have been asked to take a hatchet to the university and refused. Which means the next hire will be someone willing to slice and dice.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
GirlBoo1020

Top Bottom