Hassan Diarra | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
I just looked at all of the tweets mentioning that he was entering the portal from a few weeks ago...every single A&M fan in the replies were upset that he is leaving. I’ll take that as a good sign that he’s going to be an impact guy for us in whatever role he has here.
Good stuff. With Q moving on I’d think he was their third best returning player behind Radford and Coleman. If not very close to that. It’s a big loss as he took a ton of big shots for them.

Texas A&M had a ton of great wins down the stretch vs ranked teams and won laughers most of the way to the finals of the NIT before a Nunge prayer did them in. He was a major part of it.

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra's numbers over the last 16 games of the season:

7.9p, 1.9r, 1.9a, 1.7 to, 0.6s, 46 2p%, 36.6 3p%, 81.4 ft% w/ 2.7 ftas in 18 mpg.

Hypothetically, if those were Diarra's numbers at UConn and we didn't also acquire Newton, I'd be pretty excited handing over the PG reins to Diarra. In reality, there's a chance to have Newton and have Diarra? I'd be psyched and pumped. I'll miss Cole for sure, but that's an awesome 1-2 punch.

As a transfer, there isn't that same inherit excitement as a homegrown guy, but those are solid numbers in SEC regular season/playoff games and NIT play where if you remove Alcorn State, they had a good slate (Oregon, Wake Forest, Washington State, Xavier, average KP rating of 53.5).

Reaction Score
Will his brother be on campus again? Kid must be on his 6 th degree by now

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra NIT/SEC Tournament Highlights Scouting Report/Notes. He's #5 on gray in all the clips.

Things I love:
  • For a guy that is 6'2" 180, he will absolutely put a body on a guy on the block when he's switched onto him or boxing him out. (Semi 11:18) He comes in like a bouncer after a drunk guy just spilled a beer on his favorite shirt. It's not just business, it's personal.
  • He gets downhill (Semi 11:43) - Seems like he can get into the paint against high major defense. In this clip uses his body well to shield and draw the foul.
  • Can even go coast-to-coast (Semi 2:05, Final 5:31) - Big Vital-esque rebound and then strong gather finish. He's an okay rim finisher for his size, but he's clearly not Bouknight or anything (stats put him around Martin, which is good for him and bad for Martin with size difference). Goes into "attack mode" at times after making a shot or two.
  • Really likes to drive and dump-off (Semi 10:24). Sanogo gonna feast on short floaters/dunks. Nice change of pace to get by the big as well.
  • He doesn't have tunnel vision when driving (Semi 11:42) - Broken play, finds a seam and kicks out for open look/extra pass.
  • Keeps his head up in transition (Semi 16:16) - He's certainly not a pure point, but he can find guys on occasion.
  • He's got hops and moxie (Semi 12:43) - Not his man, but he rotates all the way back and really makes a go about it. Announcer talking about the guy catching a body, I'm just impressed a 6'2 guy almost blocked a 6'10 guy at the top of his dunk from behind.
  • Good weak-side positional helper. (Final 13:28) - Texas A&M played no-middle scheme and he was good at cheating off and closing off baseline drives, especially at his size.
  • Knows limitations. Uses threat of shot to get into paint. (Final 9:42) - Attacks closeout and pump fakes on 2 separate occasions on one possession. Leads to assist.
  • Defensive versatility (Final 9:16) - Had a lot of practice guarding and switching all over thanks to A&M's scheme. At 6'2", fronts Nunge in textbook manner in this clip.
  • When decisive and in rhythm, can make shots (Final 7:20) - Seems like to like this pull-up from top of the key when defense goes under.
  • This isn't the normal outcome for this move from him. (Final 4:03) - But it sure looked good. He was a big part of A&M's run in this game (from 15-6 X to 31-26 A&M.
  • He can use his strength and hops to finish over help defenders (Final 11:03) - Should only get stronger and better at finishing over the next couple of years.
  • Diarra was playing crunch time during the NIT finals mostly for his defense.
Things I didn't like as much:
  • Shot selection / decision making (Semis 14:33) - I don't know what this is, but this is not going down at UConn. Pull-up long 2 with a teammate completely wide open for 3 on the wing.
  • Sometimes he tries to go coast to coast, but with bad decision making (SEC F 15:57). Have to back out a 1 v 3.
  • Not big or long enough for top of a zone (SEC F 7:11) - A&M put him up top, and I like his hands up energy and stance, but they just passed right around him. There's a reason Boeheim puts 6'6" long, former volleyball players at the top.
  • He's not enough of a shooting threat and A&M sometimes just parked him as a decoy in the corners or wings for full possessions. (SEC F 6:43) - His man is able to sag off and draw a charge in the paint. The driver should have kicked out, but clearly not a high priority kick-out either.
  • Can miss badly on shots (SEC F 2:05) - Shooting is obviously not his strength and he has a pretty high arcing shot, and when the trajectory is a bit off, who knows where it'll go.
  • Will be at a quickness disadvantage at times (SEC F 5:24) - He draws a foul on this play using his strength, but his man falls down and he barely takes advantage. On some possessions he looks like he has pretty heavy feet.
  • Needs some work on pick and roll reads. (Final 3:20) - Wide open roll man, but overreacts to the stunting defender who recovers and picks his pass.
  • Being in attack mode is good, but sometimes bites off more than he can chew. (Final 2:02) - Just not skilled or big enough to make this move against a big wing defender that has hung with him.
  • Can sometimes be inaccurate with his passes (Final 16:30) - His man is a little late spotting up, but just not good enough from him.
  • Handle is okay, but probably wouldn't hold up to high pressure defense. (Final 4:33) - Big part of his game will be driving to the basket, so his handle has to be tight. A crossover at the FT line is a tough move in that tight of a space.

Reaction Score
He wouldn't be a bad player as the 4th guard, or 5th of you count AJ. I don't know that he would be the answer to be a real piece of the rotation. We seem to be after guards with more of a history of scoring.
Should able to get a decent walk on for 4th or 5th guard

Reaction Score
In all of this comparison talk, I’m thinking SO Hawkins replaces Martin, not Nah.

Newton replaces Cole
Nah replaces Polley
Diarra replaces Gaffney

Reaction Score
Hassan Diarra NIT/SEC Tournament Highlights Scouting Report/Notes. He's #5 on gray in all the clips.

Things I love:
  • For a guy that is 6'2" 180, he will absolutely put a body on a guy on the block when he's switched onto him or boxing him out. (Semi 11:18) He comes in like a bouncer after a drunk guy just spilled a beer on his favorite shirt. It's not just business, it's personal.
  • He gets downhill (Semi 11:43) - Seems like he can get into the paint against high major defense. In this clip uses his body well to shield and draw the foul.
  • Can even go coast-to-coast (Semi 2:05, Final 5:31) - Big Vital-esque rebound and then strong gather finish. He's an okay rim finisher for his size, but he's clearly not Bouknight or anything (stats put him around Martin, which is good for him and bad for Martin with size difference). Goes into "attack mode" at times after making a shot or two.
  • Really likes to drive and dump-off (Semi 10:24). Sanogo gonna feast on short floaters/dunks. Nice change of pace to get by the big as well.
  • He doesn't have tunnel vision when driving (Semi 11:42) - Broken play, finds a seam and kicks out for open look/extra pass.
  • Keeps his head up in transition (Semi 16:16) - He's certainly not a pure point, but he can find guys on occasion.
  • He's got hops and moxie (Semi 12:43) - Not his man, but he rotates all the way back and really makes a go about it. Announcer talking about the guy catching a body, I'm just impressed a 6'2 guy almost blocked a 6'10 guy at the top of his dunk from behind.
  • Good weak-side positional helper. (Final 13:28) - Texas A&M played no-middle scheme and he was good at cheating off and closing off baseline drives, especially at his size.
  • Knows limitations. Uses threat of shot to get into paint. (Final 9:42) - Attacks closeout and pump fakes on 2 separate occasions on one possession. Leads to assist.
  • Defensive versatility (Final 9:16) - Had a lot of practice guarding and switching all over thanks to A&M's scheme. At 6'2", fronts Nunge in textbook manner in this clip.
  • When decisive and in rhythm, can make shots (Final 7:20) - Seems like to like this pull-up from top of the key when defense goes under.
  • This isn't the normal outcome for this move from him. (Final 4:03) - But it sure looked good. He was a big part of A&M's run in this game (from 15-6 X to 31-26 A&M.
  • He can use his strength and hops to finish over help defenders (Final 11:03) - Should only get stronger and better at finishing over the next couple of years.
  • Diarra was playing crunch time during the NIT finals mostly for his defense.
Things I didn't like as much:
  • Shot selection / decision making (Semis 14:33) - I don't know what this is, but this is not going down at UConn. Pull-up long 2 with a teammate completely wide open for 3 on the wing.
  • Sometimes he tries to go coast to coast, but with bad decision making (SEC F 15:57). Have to back out a 1 v 3.
  • Not big or long enough for top of a zone (SEC F 7:11) - A&M put him up top, and I like his hands up energy and stance, but they just passed right around him. There's a reason Boeheim puts 6'6" long, former volleyball players at the top.
  • He's not enough of a shooting threat and A&M sometimes just parked him as a decoy in the corners or wings for full possessions. (SEC F 6:43) - His man is able to sag off and draw a charge in the paint. The driver should have kicked out, but clearly not a high priority kick-out either.
  • Can miss badly on shots (SEC F 2:05) - Shooting is obviously not his strength and he has a pretty high arcing shot, and when the trajectory is a bit off, who knows where it'll go.
  • Will be at a quickness disadvantage at times (SEC F 5:24) - He draws a foul on this play using his strength, but his man falls down and he barely takes advantage. On some possessions he looks like he has pretty heavy feet.
  • Needs some work on pick and roll reads. (Final 3:20) - Wide open roll man, but overreacts to the stunting defender who recovers and picks his pass.
  • Being in attack mode is good, but sometimes bites off more than he can chew. (Final 2:02) - Just not skilled or big enough to make this move against a big wing defender that has hung with him.
  • Can sometimes be inaccurate with his passes (Final 16:30) - His man is a little late spotting up, but just not good enough from him.
  • Handle is okay, but probably wouldn't hold up to high pressure defense. (Final 4:33) - Big part of his game will be driving to the basket, so his handle has to be tight. A crossover at the FT line is a tough move in that tight of a space.

If, after watching these clips that @auror put together, you aren't excited if this kid comes to UConn to be a 10-15mpg/situational guy, then you might as well just quit watching CBB.

Reaction Score
If, after watching these clips that @auror put together, you aren't excited if this kid comes to UConn to be a 10-15mpg/situational guy, then you might as well just quit watching CBB.

Yeah, he's more than acceptable as a backup. He's going to be our 4th best guard and probably our 3rd guy off the bench. He will be more than servicable in that role, and probably better than most 8th men in the country.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Does anyone get excited over backups? We’re not adding a future superstar here.

Reaction Score
Compilation of some advanced stats. 39th best available transfer by RAPM/Hoop-Explorer, 56th by Evan Miya. By Win Shares he was between Polley and Gaffney last season.
diarra-Combined.png

Reaction Score
Does anyone get excited over backups? We’re not adding a future superstar here.
Yeah, he's more than acceptable as a backup. He's going to be our 4th best guard and probably our 3rd guy off the bench. He will be more than servicable in that role, and probably better than most 8th men in the country.
He’s also technically a soon-to-be sophomore in terms of eligibility so ya I’m excited to see how he will develop over the next few seasons. He should be a good piece

Reaction Score
I agree with this but I also hate the idea on these threads that we have to do a 1:1 comparison of who we brought in vs who we lost. We do not want to bring in clones for the guys we lost, because that means we have the same lineup issues as last year. We had 1 guy last year who would (or could?) beat his man off the dribble, and that guy was barely 6’ tall. This year we should have at least 3 of those guys on the court assuming Jackson and Hawkins develop like we expect them too. Add in a junior year Sanogo, and this team is going to be so much more fluid and versatile.
The pieces will fit together a lot better, and each individual player will have a lot fewer glaring weaknesses and be more multi-dimensional.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
You do if the starting lineup is really solid and you're looking for a really good and complimentary depth piece.
Really good is stretching it, he’s solid at best. Nothing exciting.
Lol we have people here doing major handwringing and giving themselves ulcers about the prospect of us only filling 11-12 of our schollies instead of 13.
So adding anyone is exciting? Doesn’t there have to be levels to this?
He’s also technically a soon-to-be sophomore in terms of eligibility so ya I’m excited to see how he will develop over the next few seasons. He should be a good piece
Yeah, a good piece. But he’s a role player, guess I can’t get excited for players of that caliber.
The lack of backup ballhandlers lost us games last season, so yes.
That was a problem, but he’s not an exciting solution. But solid.
No

Reaction Score
Really good is stretching it, he’s solid at best. Nothing exciting.

So adding anyone is exciting? Doesn’t there have to be levels to this?

Yeah, a good piece. But he’s a role player, guess I can’t get excited for players of that caliber.

That was a problem, but he’s not an exciting solution. But solid.

No
Seems like you're unexcitable.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
Coincidentally this is also my answer to the question "Is Huskyforlife a good poster anymore?" No idea what happened but you've become miserable since the season ended
Ouch, don’t know what I said to deserve that? I’m still really excited for next season and like the transfers we’ve picked up so far. But sometimes I call out things that make me scratch my head.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
LocalHits

Top Bottom