Hassan Diarra | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Ouch, don’t know what I said to deserve that? I’m still really excited for next season and like the transfers we’ve picked up so far. But sometimes I call out things that make me scratch my head.
That was probably too harsh so sorry, just seemed like you weren't happy with any possible roster additions. Didn't seem to like Newton much, don't like Alleyne as a starter, don't like Diarra, down on Castle being ready. Even the guys we haven't gotten like Okudale and Rudi Williams you didn't want, just seemed like every possible option you didn't like

Reaction Score
Does anyone get excited over backups? We’re not adding a future superstar here.
I mean, we’re all a bunch of alleged adults who devote hours to a message board about a college basketball team. From that perspective, getting excited about a quality backup seems pretty reasonable to me. I’d argue someone who posts regularly but does not get excited over meaningful additions would be more unusual.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
That was probably too harsh so sorry, just seemed like you weren't happy with any possible roster additions. Didn't seem to like Newton much, don't like Alleyne as a starter, don't like Diarra, down on Castle being ready. Even the guys we haven't gotten like Okudale and Rudi Williams you didn't want, just seemed like every possible option you didn't like
Did I say anything about Newton? I was excited about him privately for sure. In a perfect world I think Alleyne would be a nice 6th man, but he’d fit next to anyone in the lineup as a shooter. But I’ll admit to being unimpressed with Rudi/Femi/Diarra because I think each player profiles as a solid backup at best. If/when Diarra commits though, you won’t find me dogging the kid, I think I even called out Fishy for being too negative about him earlier.

But I’ll say this post made me more self aware of posting negatively for no reason. So I’ll pick my battles more carefully moving forward.

Reaction Score
Does anyone get excited over backups? We’re not adding a future superstar here.

Why wouldn’t you after having Gaff back up Cole last year? I mean Hurley had to extend RJs minutes because his back up wasn’t to be trusted. I believe solid back ups create a stronger team which is ultimately the goal I think no???

Reaction Score
You need to add another layer of context to the stats and then the real story becomes abundantly clear very quickly.

Jalen scored 131 points last year; 40 of those came in the first four games of the season against very weak competition, and to take that a step further: 56 came in those 4 games + 2 more with MD-ES and Grambling. He also had 24 of his 65 assists in those 6 games.

Against representative competition, we're talking about a sub-.300 FG% with a 3P% of 15 in 27 games. From the start of Big East play on, he shot .286% from the field, .188% from 3 and scored 44 points in 22 games with a 1.3 to 0.7 assist to turnover ratio. That is not a playable high-major player by any standard whatsoever.

You seem stuck on the assist to turnover ratio, but both Jalen's and H. Diarra's are misleading.

Jalen's fatal flaw is an inability to handle high-major ball pressure. To compensate for that, he turned his back to the defender and backed the ball up the court, eating up a large amount of the shot clock. His inability to initiate offense cratered our shot quality and offense efficiency because of the number of times it led to a game of hot potato to get a shot up for whomever ended up with the ball and less than 10 seconds to make something happen when he finally got us into a half-court set.

Diarra, meanwhile, played in a Buzz Williams system that has always led to low assist-to-turnover ratios.

Remember all those great guards he had at Marquette? Vander Blue averaged 1.8 assists to 2.3 turnovers his final year and a 2.0 assists/2.0 turnovers for his career. Darius Johnson-Odom posted a 2.7 assist to 2.4 turnover mark as an All-Big East first teamer in 2011-12. These are future NBA players on Sweet 16/Elite Eight teams. Look up and down last year's A&M roster and it's the same thing. It's the way they play.

Diarra also improved considerably as the season went on last year against high-major competition. I took his final 15 games as what seems like a fair indicator: He shot 434% from the field, .378% from 3 from that point on and as many have mentioned, there's reason in Texas A&M's roster construction change during the season to believe that is not a coincidence.

All this is to say that Jalen 100% did the right thing in leaving UConn for a level where his skillset can flourish without his inability to handle ball pressure destroying his production. And perhaps more importantly, to nip any idea of using a misrepresentation of what Gaffney was to cut down Hassan before he even plays his first game for us.
I hope you dropped a mic after this post. Quality stuff.

Reaction Score
I’ve seen enough college basketball games where teams are ahead and then the back ups come in and the whole thing falls apart to say, yeah I’m excited about adding quality depth.

QDOG5

I dont have a drug problem I have a police problem
Reaction Score
Ouch, don’t know what I said to deserve that? I’m still really excited for next season and like the transfers we’ve picked up so far. But sometimes I call out things that make me scratch my head.
Thanks goodness we aren't recruiting the twins Seborrhea and Psoriasis.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been reported that he's taken a visit yet, right? With graduation going on this past weekend it makes sense they wouldn't have had any visits. Probably should expect to hear something later this week about him getting on campus?

Reaction Score
HD is a tough two- way player with a ton of energy. Trust me--If we're lucky enough to get him onboard you'll be happy he's on the team when the starters are in foul trouble or have an injury of some kind.

A quality add to the roster who will push guys in practice.

Reaction Score
It hasn't been reported that he's taken a visit yet, right? With graduation going on this past weekend it makes sense they wouldn't have had any visits. Probably should expect to hear something later this week about him getting on campus?

He was in Texas finishing up his semester. When NYC is home, no need to fly across the country for a visit before school is done. I like him as a player, but he also understands what he can get out of the game beyond that. His brother has thrived at UConn (two degrees and a job), even when he couldn’t play anymore.

Reaction Score
He was in Texas finishing up his semester. When NYC is home, no need to fly across the country for a visit before school is done. I like him as a player, but he also understands what he can get out of the game beyond that. His brother has thrived at UConn (two degrees and a job), even when he couldn’t play anymore.
@NJHoops What will MD’s role be moving forward. He wI’ll no longer be a grad assistant right?

Reaction Score
That would be EDT (not EST) unless it's another Boneyard thing. :)
No Boneyard thing to my knowledge.

I did a brief search after your reply, @Chuck, and this is what I found:

1652108910809.png

Reaction Score
Fits what the team needs almost perfectly. A ball handler coming off the bench that is a strong defender and has some size and strength. Provides experienced depth in case of injury. Also 3 years of eligibility to to provide some team stability over the next few years. The family connection to UConn is also a nice story.

Reaction Score
Yeah, this too, so I don't know if they are really all the same, or a distinction without a difference. Just check at 2:15 if you live in this part of the country to see if any news on Diarra.:)

1652109169089.png

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Darkbloom