Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
If the two PF aren't ready to start at the 4. Alleyne would be in the starting lineup next to Hawkins with AJax at the 4.

He didn't say Alleyne would play the 4.
Which would make a small line up. Although Jackson can rebound well for 6-6 so that helps.

Reaction Score
this season we’ll be a Newton turned ankle away from being a .500 team. We need one or two more guys that can at least play a limited but productive role. Remember, this is UConn, our 10th guy should be a starter at a bottom half Big East school. We need to get back to that to win titles.
c'mon when in the past would we have remained a chip contender despite losing our starting PG? wouldnt have happened with el-amin, or taliek, or kemba, or bazz that's for sure. if you lose a key player to injury youre probably screwed. just like what happened w/ dyson in '09. c'est la vie.

regardless, the days of incredible depth are over thanks to the transfer portal. quality over quantity if you cant have both. now guys will gladly opt to start elsewhere in the BE rather than be our 10th man. akok and floyd just did it.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
The proposed depth charts I am seeing on this thread are downright wacky. Jackson as a sixth man? Karaban starting?

Let's not overthink this.

I think it's very clear from the current roster construction and everything we've heard from Hurley and the transfers this off-season, the current starting 5 is:

PG Newton
SG Hawkins
SF Alleyne
PF Jackson
C Sanogo

Count on Newton and Jackson getting all the minutes they can handle, think RJ at the end of last season.

Count on Samson getting 15-20 backup minutes as a stretch 4 or 3, or he'll be the next transfer. Hurley seems to have learned that lesson this off-season.

Count on close to 10 mins a night for Karaban.

Count on 5-10 for Clingan.

Diarra will get whatever's left behind Newton and Hawkins (too much for him IMO).

I agree with Fishy it would be nice to add another shooter + ballhandler from the portal. I don't believe Castle's reclassing.
Read my post right below yours, was not a depth chart. Just listing guys in a random order to show we don't need more big men

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Read my post right below yours, was not a depth chart. Just listing guys in a random order to show we don't need more big men
Gotcha, that makes more sense

Reaction Score
I agree with the total minutes played more or less but i cant pencil karaban into the starting lineup yet. i think it's samson if we're playing a traditional PF. altho i also have them both around 15 mpg so i guess it wouldnt matter who starts...

regardless i hope we start small meaning jackson at the 4 which moves alleyne into the lineup on the wing. i want our 5 best guys on the floor.
I think we most likely finish games small rather than starting small.

Reaction Score
The proposed depth charts I am seeing on this thread are downright wacky. Jackson as a sixth man? Karaban starting?

Let's not overthink this.

I think it's very clear from the current roster construction and everything we've heard from Hurley and the transfers this off-season, the current starting 5 is:

PG Newton
SG Hawkins
SF Alleyne
PF Jackson
C Sanogo

Count on Newton and Jackson getting all the minutes they can handle, think RJ at the end of last season.

Count on Samson getting 15-20 backup minutes as a stretch 4 or 3, or he'll be the next transfer. Hurley seems to have learned that lesson this off-season.

Count on close to 10 mins a night for Karaban.

Count on 5-10 for Clingan.

Diarra will get whatever's left behind Newton and Hawkins (too much for him IMO).

I agree with Fishy it would be nice to add another shooter + ballhandler from the portal. I don't believe Castle's reclassing.
Karaban is much better than you think. He will play at least 15 min with 20+ more likely

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
Karaban is much better than you think. He will play at least 15 min with 20+ more likely
I hope you're right and I'm wrong, as I always welcome the idea that a new Husky is much better than I think. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of his HS tape (only highlight reels) and I don't know how he looked practicing with the team last semester.

I am fairly certain of a few things, though:

Newton, A-Jax and Sanogo will have to feast on minutes if this team is going to be any good. Samson will need to approach 20 mpg, or else there is a serious chance of him leaving. He's too talented. I don't know where that leaves Karaban, minutes-wise.

The lineup I proposed above- with A-Jax at the 4- puts three legitimate shooters in the starting lineup, which I believe is what Hurley is going for this season. If Karaban is to force his way to 20 mpg, that means he'll be shooting the lights out coming out of practices and OOC play. I'd be here for it!

MyDorona

The Hebrew Hammer
Reaction Score
I hope you're right and I'm wrong, as I always welcome the idea that a new Husky is much better than I think. Admittedly, I haven't watched much of his HS tape (only highlight reels) and I don't know how he looked practicing with the team last semester.

Newton, A-Jax and Sanogo will have to feast on minutes if this team is going to be any good. Samson will need to approach 20 mpg, or else there is a serious chance of him leaving. He's too talented. I don't know where that leaves Karaban, minutes-wise.

The lineup I proposed above- with A-Jax at the 4- puts three legitimate shooters in the starting lineup, which I believe is what Hurley is going for this season. If Karaban is to force his way to 20 mpg, that means he'll be shooting the lights out coming out of practices and OOC play. I'd be here for it!
I should have added: I also think Karaban's ability on the defensive side of the ball is what will dictate his minutes. We all know Hurley prizes that above all else. Sub Karaban at the 4 for Jackson, or the 3 for Alleyne, and you are removing one of your two best defenders for Karaban and asking him to play alongside two below-average to average defenders in Hawkins and Newton.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
I hope we aren't seeing Jackson at a PG. I hope we pick up a developmental PG who has 3 years left.
We just brought one in. That’s what Diarra is.

I would much prefer Jackson at PG to Jackson at PF. He’s far far closer to being a PG.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score

I would much prefer Jackson at PG to Jackson at PF. He’s far far closer to being a PG.
No way. He needs to play closer to the basket. I like him best at PF.

Reaction Score
I think we should be fine shooting the ball. Hawkins had a much harder time adjusting to college ball than I thought he would but I expect a big jump from him next season, I think he'll shoot it around 40% from deep, Alleyne is a good shooter, Karaban is a good shooter, Jackson makes them when open, Samson has stretch 4 skills, Newton's percentage should be improved because of usage...

I think where the shooting will benefit over last year is with Newton and Jackson being able to get guys open shots. They are both big and creative passers who will be able to find guys on the break and in the half court with their size and vision getting into the lane.

As for ballhandling we should be fine in terms of guys being able to dribble but I still worry it will be a major struggle having guys who can break their man down getting to the basket and finishing. Andre needs to make a major jump here and Hawkins needs to make a jump here. We really need to get Castle on campus.
We have both Newton and Diarra who can break their men down off the dribble.

Reaction Score

Really based on his fancy passes? He can't create real offense off the dribble as he can't shoot off the dribble to save his life. People will just play off of him clogging the passing lanes. He is more of a Point forward like D-ham was for us.

Reaction Score
You’re fine. You just need some daily affirmations.

DDjltEbXnKL5sA64xNWdwo4Vrd_9VFdrhcpI75-3oMk.jpg
This brings me back
Screenshot 2022-05-12 12.09.03 PM.png

Reaction Score

I see Jackson as more of a 3 with great court vision. But his rebounding is like a PF. He does many things real well. I expect him to still bring the ball up in transition. Interesting, truly unique player.

Reaction Score
Really based on his fancy passes? He can't create real offense off the dribble as he can't shoot off the dribble to save his life. People will just play off of him clogging the passing lanes. He is more of a Point forward like D-ham was for us.
He’s not capable of playing POINT guard, but he is capable of playing POINT forward. He can either play the point or he can’t. This opinion makes zero sense.

Reaction Score

In terms of Johnson and Karaban, I think they're going to be treated as equals going into the Fall, i.e. Johnson has no edge on Karaban. The chips will fall where they may over the season and if one wants to transfer because he didn't get enough minutes then you tip your hat and say good luck. My bet is that Karaban is the better player now and will be in the future as well. Time will tell.

Reaction Score
You'd have to go all the way back to the 2022 season, in Jordan Hawkins. And before him you'd have to go all the way back to Adama Sanogo and Andre Jackson in the 2021 season
OP said to start the season. I think the point is it has often taken Hurley some time to trust the freshman even when they are clearly our top talents.

Reaction Score
He’s not capable of playing POINT guard, but he is capable of playing POINT forward. He can either play the point or he can’t. This opinion makes zero sense.
Point forward and PG are too different positions. Point fowards normally plays a the high post and and make passes into the big man while PG are more of a penetrator with a threat of dishing it off or being able to score off the dribble. PF normally aren't dribbling the ball as much as a PG and making any kind of key decisions on how to run the offense, Andre can be a 2nd ball handler but I don't see him as the main guy running the offense every play. I just see him more of a DHAM than a KW or Khalid if you understand my point.

Reaction Score
When was the last time a Freshman played 15 minutes at the start of the season at UCONN?
Not a regular freshman. He practiced with the team last year. Remember Corey Floyd who like Karaban practiced with team last year was told by Hurley he would probably get 15 minutes a game and Floyd wanting more PT transferred to Providence. Karaban is a perfect fit for the 4 Out offense. Barring injury I would be shocked if he's not playing at least 15 min at the onset

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom