Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
I wasn’t playing literal statistics games, just pointing out that our expectations of an unproven frosh are unjustified and ripe for a let down. He may be great but not many freshman are. I’d rather have a proven wing come in than risk relying on a freshman.
I like Karaban a lot but I agree him, Springs, and Johnson are all still unknows and it is surprising there hasn't been more talk about adding forward depth.

Reaction Score
Explain Polley then. Our worst defender (possibly aside from Diggins) and played a lot of minutes anyway. In general, I think you're right, but Hurley seems to have certain favorites and trusts veteran players despite their shortcomings (including Whaley's on offense).

Polley's minutes were pretty limited when compared to his (perceived) value on offense as a floor spacer with size (the thing we said all year we needed to make our offense work). Obviously this was because of his defense.

Reaction Score
He's nothing like Polley. He's a guard, good ball handler, and a good defender. He's a worse version of Martin, but probably a better passer.
and better shooter. he might not be as good of an all around players as martin but alleyne does the things we were lacking last year better
Games are much different than practice. Hurley was calling Samson a pterodactyl and a lottery pick after practices last year and then he never played.
it's not like diggins not playing where there was no depth behind cole. samson had sanogo and whaley and akok ahead of him.

Reaction Score
and much better shooter.

it's not like diggins not playing where there was no depth behind cole. samson had sanogo and whaley and akok ahead of him.
I mean Akok was basically a non factor this year. He should have more upside than Diggins still, but until he proves it in game we don't know what we have there yet.

Reaction Score
I’d rather have a proven wing come in than risk relying on a freshman.
we also have samson. do you realize how crowded the frontcourt is especially if AJ gets any time at the 4? if you wanted staff to bring in a proven F then you must want samson in the portal next summer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
we also have samson. do you realize how crowded the frontcourt is especially if AJ gets any time at the 4? if you wanted staff to bring in a proven F then you must want samson in the portal next summer
Samson is going to be alot better than most think. He has next level potential. Just needs confidence and playing time.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
He's nothing like Polley. He's a guard, good ball handler, and a good defender. He's a worse version of Martin, but probably a better passer.
1CD9ECB8-DD44-49C9-A015-C2D2CCF0AFC5.jpeg

0DD7461F-47AF-4FB1-9022-A06C0EC89E8D.jpeg

Disagree. For what it’s worth he’s a 37% three point shooter, compared to Tyler‘s 35%. He’s like Tyler, just a little bit better at everything.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Except for the fact he’s 5 inches shorter and handles the ball a lot more because he’s a guard….
True but Tyler played a lot shorter than his height, but I agree with you regarding Nahiem‘s handle. still I fully expect him to get the same kind of looks that Tyler did. Nahiem is more of a shooting guard than he is a point guard.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Games are much different than practice. Hurley was calling Samson a pterodactyl and a lottery pick after practices last year and then he never played.
Exactly. Because we had a super senior Hurley loved (a bit too much) and a Junior in Akok, and another super senior Polley who played some at the 4. Johnson is still the same guy, only more experienced. Could be the best player on the team for all we know.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
View attachment 76351
View attachment 76352
Disagree. For what it’s worth he’s a 37% three point shooter, compared to Tyler‘s 35%. He’s like Tyler, just a little bit better at everything.
I don't understand your point. The whole team can shoot now. That's the idea. Yes, he will shoot. So will Hawkins, Newton, Johnson, Karaban and even Jackson. Nobody is replacing Polley because it's a role that you don't want replaced. He never fit.

He's a much different and much better player than Polley. Polley couldn't handle like a guard, pass like a guard, attack the basket like a guard, or shoot on motion at all. He was tall, but slow as hell and so couldn't guard guys smaller than him. He was also weak and not a good jumper so couldn't guard guys his size. Note that they are about the same weight. Note that the 6'4" guy outrebounded Polley substantially. Look at Polley's assist numbers, worst on the team among guys who played 100 minutes.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
I don't understand your point. The whole team can shoot now. That's the idea. Yes, he will shoot. So will Hawkins, Newton, Johnson, Karaban and even Jackson. Nobody is replacing Polley because it's a role that you don't want replaced. He never fit.

He's a much different and much better player than Polley. Polley couldn't handle like a guard, pass like a guard, attack the basket like a guard, or shoot on motion at all. He was tall, but slow as hell and so couldn't guard guys smaller than him. He was also weak and not a good jumper so couldn't guard guys his size. Note that they are about the same weight. Note that the 6'4" guy outrebounded Polley substantially. Look at Polley's assist numbers, worst on the team among guys who played 100 minutes.
Their role is going to be incredibly similar. Maybe Alleyne guards smaller players better than Polley, but they both were/are 3nD wings. I don’t think Alleyne will do much more ball handling than Polley, probably a smidge more.

Reaction Score
Their role is going to be incredibly similar. Maybe Alleyne guards smaller players better than Polley, but they both were/are 3nD wings. I don’t think Alleyne will do much more ball handling than Polley, probably a smidge more.
polley was a 3&D wing minus the D. and if by smidge you mean he can bring the ball up the court without having to hold your breath watching then big improvement.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Not sure we need any other commits but getting Hassan really filled a need and sets up for an exciting season. Well done by the staff recruiting him. We have answers at all positions. I am looking forward to a big increase in Samsons contribution on the baseline and we have more than enough on the perimeter to give Adama room as well as use Clingan to torment the opponents. Did not realize Springs was only 20 y.o. and expect to see a lot of him as well.

Reaction Score
Summer is fun...

We're all going to be so surprised by how good player X will be (OP has only seen him play in YouTube videos)

player Y is going to make a huge jump next year (OP doesn't know if he's currently putting up jumpers all day or crushing cheeseburgers)

Player Z is still an unknown (OP somehow discounts that the staff has watched these guys play every day for a yr+)

And so on...

Reaction Score
Haha we do? ok that is good to know. DHAM was more of a PG than AJ is due to his ability to break down defenders. Right now AJ doesn't have that ability at all. There is a reason why many people are mentioning AJ as the 4 and why we have now gotten a guy who can backup TN at the point in Diarra.
When you get down to it, it's all just semantics. Andre has great vision. Having him on the floor alongside a true pg gives us two guys who can get bunches of assists. Teams with high assist totals seem to do pretty well. I like it.

Reaction Score
When you get down to it, it's all just semantics. Andre has great vision. Having him on the floor alongside a true pg gives us two guys who can get bunches of assists. Teams with high assist totals seem to do pretty well. I like it.
I can agree with it. I was just pointing out he isn't a breakdown PG and his handle is still kind of high but it is nice to have another ball handler out there I agree. I hope he also gets a chance to post up as he was doing a good job with that and a little hook shot.

Huskyforlife

Akokbouk
Reaction Score
polley was a 3&D wing minus the D. and if by smidge you mean he can bring the ball up the court without having to hold your breath watching then big improvement.
It’ll be interesting to see what kind of role he plays. I’m banking on being mostly a floor spacer.

Reaction Score
No need for Castle to reclass. Next year he will come in and get very good minutes. We are totally fine with our current 5 guards.
Same. I was worried last year that we would see some freshman transfer for playing time. If we want to keep recruiting Atlanta (nearly an NBA player a year from ATL) and borderline five star players then we need to play them. Same is probably true for transfers as well. The new college ball rules unfortunately leave you wondering who might jump ship more often than developing and staying.

Reaction Score
Hurley coming through again. Trust the process!
yea imma trust a guy who lost to New Mexico st, no thanks. Nobody questioned if he could recruit, we questioned his x's and o's.

Reaction Score
yea imma trust a guy who lost to New Mexico st, no thanks. Nobody questioned if he could recruit, we questioned his x's and o's.

Calipari lost to St Peter’s, would you not trust him?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NewErA

Top Bottom