Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hassan Diarra Commits to UConn

Reaction Score
You'd have to go all the way back to the 2022 season, in Jordan Hawkins. And before him you'd have to go all the way back to Adama Sanogo and Andre Jackson in the 2021 season
None of them started the season at 15 minutes a game.

I hope Karaban knocks it out of the park, I just see us hoping and planning for the best possible outcome every year and then being disappointed but only bc our expectations are unreasonable.

But this is the Boneyard.

Reaction Score
Here is Hawkins's Game Log, the left-most number is minutes.

Even if you ignore the cupcake games, he played 15, 18, 13, 28, and 20 minutes against good teams in November and December.

1652361369487.png

Reaction Score

I hope Karaban knocks it out of the park, I just see us hoping and planning for the best possible outcome every year and then being disappointed but only bc our expectations are unreasonable.

All 3 of them did, I checked before I listed them. But don't let facts get in the way of your argument

Reaction Score

First few career games for Hawkins:
1652361437683.png

Sanogo:
1652361522392.png

Reaction Score
Not a regular freshman. He practiced with the team last year. Remember Corey Floyd who like Karaban practiced with team last year was told by Hurley he would probably get 15 minutes a game and Floyd wanting more PT transferred to Providence. Karaban is a perfect fit for the 4 Out offense. Barring injury I would be shocked if he's not playing at least 15 min at the onset
Is there a quote or post from Hurley saying Floyd would only get 15mins per game? Honestly, how much more could he expect?

Reaction Score
Is there a quote or post from Hurley saying Floyd would only get 15mins per game? Honestly, how much more could he expect?
Floyd was told he would probably redshirt. That guy is making ish up.

Reaction Score
OP said to start the season. I think the point is it has often taken Hurley some time to trust the freshman even when they are clearly our top talents.
He did say to start the season, and I encourage you to go look at what @Get a Job just posted to see that in all 3 cases it was true to start the season

Reaction Score
He did say to start the season, and I encourage you to go look at what @Get a Job just posted to see that in all 3 cases it was true to start the season
Jackson played 8 mpg before coming back to a team without Bouknight. Sanogo played 12 mpg his first 9 games and didn't play over 20 min until his 10th game. Hawkins I guess kind of fits your criteria but even the majority of his minutes were when Tyrese was out.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
There’s also a quote from Cooley saying he has no idea how many minutes Cory will play, if any. I guess we will see.

Reaction Score
You mean the guy playing the point?
Yes, I don't see him as a break them down type of PG who can just run the offense. He is really just an extra ball handler who make good passes especially from the high post.

Reaction Score
Neither Floyd nor Hurley have said exactly why he left. So @SaeHusky is just assuming this. Hurley just said he told all the players his plans for taking transfers and that caused some players to leave (assumed to be Diggins and Floyd).

Reaction Score
Yes, I don't see him as a break them down type of PG who can just run the offense. He is really just an extra ball handler who make good passes especially from the high post.
I can't get into this again but what you're describing is not a point forward. I'm not going to get into my disagreement with that conclusion because it's been hashed out here so much and clearly you and Dan Hurley vastly disagree on that point.

Reaction Score
I can't get into this again but what you're describing is not a point forward. I'm not going to get into my disagreement with that conclusion because it's been hashed out here so much and clearly you and Dan Hurley vastly disagree on that point.
Haha we do? ok that is good to know. DHAM was more of a PG than AJ is due to his ability to break down defenders. Right now AJ doesn't have that ability at all. There is a reason why many people are mentioning AJ as the 4 and why we have now gotten a guy who can backup TN at the point in Diarra.

HuskyHawk

The triumphant return of the Blues Brothers.
Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't get this. For all the "the game has changed" stuff directed at me about liking forwards on the team, this shows a complete misunderstanding of the fact that the traditional "point guard" is also a dinosaur position. Hurley used the word "facilitator". That's the current reality. You are either a guy who is good at creating shots for others or you aren't. He is. Newton is. Alleyne might be.

The focus on a "break them down" PG is a throwback to ISO basketball. Most shots are now supposed to be created by ball movement and spacing. Only if that fails does somebody need to beat their man off the dribble. And yes, Andre can certainly do that. The motion and passing should causes switches, and the offense should attack any mismatches. Andre is very much a mismatch against both small guards and many bigs.

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I like all these kids … a lot … don’t get me wrong - but unless Hawkins and Karaban (and Alleyne to some extent) shoot the ball consistently well next year we’ll continue to struggle with an outside game. If we’re going to be a 4 out 1 in team, gotta have that outside shooting working.

Reaction Score
Yeah, I don't get this. For all the "the game has changed" stuff directed at me about liking forwards on the team, this shows a complete misunderstanding of the fact that the traditional "point guard" is also a dinosaur position. Hurley used the word "facilitator". That's the current reality. You are either a guy who is good at creating shots for others or you aren't. He is. Newton is. Alleyne might be.

The focus on a "break them down" PG is a throwback to ISO basketball. Most shots are now supposed to be created by ball movement and spacing. Only if that fails does somebody need to beat their man off the dribble. And yes, Andre can certainly do that. The motion and passing should causes switches, and the offense should attack any mismatches. Andre is very much a mismatch against both small guards and many bigs.
Andre's problem is he hasn't shown he can break his man down and finish. He can straight line drive past his man but when he gets near the rim he doesn't know what to do with it. He needs to make a big jump in this area for next year, Hawkins also needs to make the jump in this area. You simply need guards who can score in the paint.

hardcorehusky

Lost patience with the garden variety UConn fan
Reaction Score
Diarra is the example of where stats don't matter. He takes tough shots with the game on the line. This has been a problem over the last few years, guys taking big shots at the end of game with conviction. Cole was the closest we had to it, he's gone. Closers are important - we just got one.

Reaction Score
Jackson played 8 mpg before coming back to a team without Bouknight. Sanogo played 12 mpg his first 9 games and didn't play over 20 min until his 10th game. Hawkins I guess kind of fits your criteria but even the majority of his minutes were when Tyrese was out.
Sure, when you completely change the criteria of the discussion my examples don't fit your completely different narrative you want to spin

tykurez

For Your Health
Reaction Score
I admit I see it differently, I felt he didn't back down from the moment as much as he didn't have the goods. He wasn't backing down in the MD game and that was the closest he had to a "moment".

It certainly seemed like Gaff was tentative and was easily rattled by a mistake. There were very occasional flashes of his athleticism where you’d nod your head like “why doesn’t he do that more often?” I imagine the lack of playing time also did not help for someone where confidence is not a strength.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Texasfan01

Top Bottom