Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
I guess the USSF and MLS killing an entire league is really bad optics.

Reaction Score
This would be Failers fans coming out of the woodwork and hijacking the thread. They pretend to like UConn because supporting the Wolf Pack or any affiliated team for that matter goes against everything they stand for.

They are regular posters here. Who are you exactly?

zls44

Your #icebus Tour Director
Reaction Score
USL champ vs NASL champ, can bring back the Soccer Bowl title

Winner gets promoted to MLSLOLOLOL jk they'd never do that part

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
This would be Failers fans coming out of the woodwork and hijacking the thread. They pretend to like UConn because supporting the Wolf Pack or any affiliated team for that matter goes against everything they stand for.
Enough with insulting Whalers fans. It doesn't help your case.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Unless Bruce Mandell and Aaron Sarwar join forces to make something happen, then what other options are there?? The CRDA isn't going to recommend a league that could fold any day now.
If they wouldn’t recommend that then they don’t take any bids. It’s that simple when it comes to a city with no money and a state tired of covering their debts. Hartford may have come out of this past budget crisis ok but I can’t see the state lawmakers taking the heat when Hartford gets itself back into trouble next year.

In the end, there’s no way you can justify having the city put up millions of dollars to lure a minor league soccer team. It makes zero sense.....

At least with the Hartford FC bid, the NPSL team would still play games there even if NASL goes under. Plus, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the USL pick up the NASL team if that league went under and the team was successful in their short stint.

Reaction Score
If they wouldn’t recommend that then they don’t take any bids. It’s that simple when it comes to a city with no money and a state tired of covering their debts. Hartford may have come out of this past budget crisis ok but I can’t see the state lawmakers taking the heat when Hartford gets itself back into trouble next year.

In the end, there’s no way you can justify having the city put up millions of dollars to lure a minor league soccer team. It makes zero sense.....

I get what you're saying. Believe it or not, I do like Sarwar's proposal because he isn't looking for a handout. What I don't like is the league he's aligning himself with. NASL has no clue what the future holds for them. I'd be shocked if the remaining 7 NASL clubs weren't already looking at other options for the 2018 season. The only reason people don't like Mandell's proposal is because he is looking for a handout from a city that has no money. And then there's the lunatic fringe of clowns who don't like it just because they hate the thought of being an affiliate of an MLS team i.e. the Revs. Something about it not being "their" team. Affiliated soccer is better than no soccer IMO. If Mandell and Sarwar really care about Hartford soccer, they'd team up to make it work.

At least with the Hartford FC bid, the NPSL team would still play games there even if NASL goes under. Plus, I wouldn’t be shocked to see the USL pick up the NASL team if that league went under and the team was successful in their short stint.

That is true.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
USL’s Rochester Rhinos need 1.3 mil or they go extinct.

Owners need $1.3 million by Nov. 30 or the Rhinos are extinct for 2018 season

LOL I had a feeling you'd fire back with this.

OK so 1 team in a 30 team league (a very stable D2 league btw) is experiencing financial hardship. Big whoop.

Meanwhile over in NASL-land, the D2-less league has no clue what the future holds and their remaining 7 teams are more than likely looking to jump ship before it sinks for good. Nice try though.

Reaction Score
LOL I had a feeling you'd fire back with this.

OK so 1 team in a 30 team league (a very stable D2 league btw) is experiencing financial hardship. Big whoop.

Meanwhile over in NASL-land, the D2-less league has no clue what the future holds and their remaining 7 teams are more than likely looking to jump ship before it sinks for good. Nice try though.

Wilmington Hammerheads and Montreal’s team went under last season too.

Reaction Score
Wilmington Hammerheads and Montreal’s team went under last season too.

Wilmington self-relegated themselves to the PDL and the Montreal Impact folded their USL team because they signed an affiliation agreement with Ottawa Fury FC.

Reaction Score
Rochester has fallen far. They used to be discussed as an MLS expansion team.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I get what you're saying. Believe it or not, I do like Sarwar's proposal because he isn't looking for a handout. What I don't like is the league he's aligning himself with. NASL has no clue what the future holds for them. I'd be shocked if the remaining 7 NASL clubs weren't already looking at other options for the 2018 season. The only reason people don't like Mandell's proposal is because he is looking for a handout from a city that has no money. And then there's the lunatic fringe of clowns who don't like it just because they hate the thought of being an affiliate of an MLS team i.e. the Revs. Something about it not being "their" team. Affiliated soccer is better than no soccer IMO. If Mandell and Sarwar really care about Hartford soccer, they'd team up to make it work.

That is true.
I really don’t care what league the team pays in. I just think it’s ridiculous to expect the city to put out ANY money after all the headlines that have been in the news for the past few months in regards to Hartford going bankrupt. I don’t really care that this guy is putting up his own money to field a team. You wanna have a stadium in Hartford, you’re going to need to pay for it yourself.

I’m also a fan of the fact that Hartford FC has shown success with building a small following and I’d love to see them rewarded with what was always their goal, playing in Dillon, in Hartford.

In the end, I want a team in a higher tier in Hartford. I just can’t get behind an owner that is expecting a failing city to pay for him to have a stadium.

Reaction Score
They are regular posters here. Who are you exactly?

1000-images-about-lion-king-quotes-on-pinterest-disney-disney-13632.jpg

Reaction Score
I really don’t care what league the team pays in. I just think it’s ridiculous to expect the city to put out ANY money after all the headlines that have been in the news for the past few months in regards to Hartford going bankrupt. I don’t really care that this guy is putting up his own money to field a team. You wanna have a stadium in Hartford, you’re going to need to pay for it yourself. I want a team in a higher tier in Hartford. I just can’t get behind an owner that is expecting a failing city to pay for him to have a stadium.
As the article below clearly communicates, while the Data Mail "...Mandell’s bid seems to involve the more attractive league, money could be a sticking point. This is a city, after all, that said it may go bankrupt as soon as November and faced a storm of criticism when it publicly financed Dunkin’ Donuts Park for Minor League Baseball’s Hartford Yard Goats.

Sarwar has pledged to put $400,000 of his own money into improving the stadium and said he’s confident of his chances to win the Dillon bid because he’s not asking for public assistance. Meanwhile, Mandell said he is committing between $7 million and $10 million in private money, but that’s to operate the team.

In order to get that stadium to be usable again in any professional way, there’s a significant public investment that needs to be made,” Mandell said.
"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, how do you feel Mr or Mrs parent of children in Hartford's public schools? How about you Mr or Mrs Taxpayer in other cities and towns who will reluctantly contribute to bailing the City of Hartford out of its' financial mess? What do you say, want to renovate a run down stadium on your dime?

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
As the article below clearly communicates, while the Data Mail "...Mandell’s bid seems to involve the more attractive league, money could be a sticking point. This is a city, after all, that said it may go bankrupt as soon as November and faced a storm of criticism when it publicly financed Dunkin’ Donuts Park for Minor League Baseball’s Hartford Yard Goats.

Sarwar has pledged to put $400,000 of his own money into improving the stadium and said he’s confident of his chances to win the Dillon bid because he’s not asking for public assistance. Meanwhile, Mandell said he is committing between $7 million and $10 million in private money, but that’s to operate the team.

In order to get that stadium to be usable again in any professional way, there’s a significant public investment that needs to be made,” Mandell said.
"

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

So, how do you feel Mr or Mrs parent of children in Hartford's public schools? How about you Mr or Mrs Taxpayer in other cities and towns who will reluctantly contribute to bailing the City of Hartford out of its' financial mess? What do you say, want to renovate a run down stadium on your dime?
This is exactly it. There’s not a shot they go with the Data Mail guy for this exact reason. Not only will it be a bad decision, it will get shredded publicly due to all of Hartford’s financial woes. No way this guy gets a dime from the city to renovate Dillon.

Reaction Score
13 minutes on what Hartford should do with Colt Park. And why kids are being priced out of soccer and other sports.

Reaction Score
Considering Hartford's current financial situation, I think it's pretty well established that Sarwar's proposal makes the most sense. Then again, none of the proposals are foolproof. The $400,000 he's pledging is just enough (or so he says) to bring the facility up to code and make it usable. But is it enough to turn it into a home for a professional soccer team? Not to mention the league he wants to bring in is currently unsanctioned and unstable. We can speculate all we want but no one really knows if NASL will be around next year. Let's not forget the whole point of this is to bring stable professional soccer to Hartford.

I found an interesting tidbit from this Courant article:

City leaders, who recently contemplated bankruptcy, have said they do not have money for the redevelopment. But CRDA officials haven’t ruled out a contribution.

Freimuth said this week that any financial backing from the state would likely be part of a wider effort to improve Colt Park. The funding would cover not only Dillon’s upgrades, but also maintenance throughout Colt and new programs for children and young adults at the park.

“If we go in to make some upgrades at Dillon, we’re going to go into it with other components in mind,” he said. “Colt Park could use some help.”

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Michael Freimuth is lost if he thinks this market wants to be Robert Kraft's farm club.. What an absolute travesty that will be if it happens. I definitely won't support them, that's for sure.

So you won't support a Hartford based team if it's affiliated with a team owned by Kraft? Wow and I thought Failers fans were supposed to be "pro-Hartford." Just shows how fake you morons are. I bet you'd "support" them if they had a Failers night. haha

Last edited:

WestHartHusk

$3M a Year With March Off
Reaction Score
So you won't support a Hartford based team if it's affiliated with a team owned by Kraft? Wow and I thought Failers fans were supposed to be "pro-Hartford." Just shows how fake you morons are. I bet you'd "support" them if they had a Failers night. haha

You don't have to agree with the posters, but is it really so hard to understand why some people don't want to support clubs that are just training grounds for owners/cities that help suppress our region?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Woody69

Top Bottom