Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
You don't have to agree with the posters, but is it really so hard to understand why some people don't want to support clubs that are just training grounds for owners/cities that help suppress our region?

I understand the rationale behind it but still think it's a lame excuse not to support the hometown team regardless of affiliation. Some people are still bitter at Kraft for screwing Hartford over in 1999. Yeah, what he did was shady but that was 18 years ago! There has to come a time when you have to let go of the bitterness and just move on. As for the "training grounds for owners/cities that help suppress our region" part, what do you expect? Hartford has been a minor league city since 1997 serving as a doormat for the New York Rangers and Colorado Rockies. Most people have accepted it for what it is. Do I wish Hartford to be a major league city again? Of course. But I doubt it's going to happen in our lifetime. Sometimes reality can be a b****. In the meantime, we should be grateful any soccer league wants to call Hartford home. There are two leagues interested with one thriving and the other being on life support. I might prefer the USL over NASL, but at the end of the day I support Hartford soccer! We don't need another fractured fanbase like Hartford hockey has.

Reaction Score
And the hits just keep on coming for the NASL. Two more teams depart struggling NASL It's gotten to the point that this league is no longer a viable option for Hartford.
A subjective perspective indeed, but Hartford's taxpayers, Mayor, school leaders and parents, etc and other Connecticut politicians may not give a carp <sic>. Perhaps even more importantly, Connecticut taxpayers who will soon be further on the take to bail out the Insurance City will likely have strong views on allocating unavailable to renovate Dillon Stadium. In particular, for a prospective yet not definitive owner of a non-existence USL franchise. A guy who stated no intent to financially contribute to any dilapidated stadium improvements. Compelling opportunity ... :rolleyes:

Reaction Score
A subjective perspective indeed, but Hartford's taxpayers, Mayor, school leaders and parents, etc and other Connecticut politicians may not give a carp <sic>. Perhaps even more importantly, Connecticut taxpayers who will soon be further on the take to bail out the Insurance City will likely have strong views on allocating unavailable to renovate Dillon Stadium. In particular, for a prospective yet not definitive owner of a non-existence USL franchise. A guy who stated no intent to financially contribute to any dilapidated stadium improvements. Compelling opportunity ... :rolleyes:

We could always root for the guy who wants to renovate Dillon in phases but has no plans on bringing in a soccer team.:p

Reaction Score
We could always root for the guy who wants to renovate Dillon in phases but has no plans on bringing in a soccer team.:p
Alternatively, CT's taxpayers could always root for prioritizing allocation of taxpayer-generated revenues to far more important, non-soccer related objectives. Or, to simply not giving data dude stadium improvements he has no intention of helping finance.

Reaction Score
Alternatively, CT's taxpayers could always root for prioritizing allocation of taxpayer-generated revenues to far more important, non-soccer related objectives. Or, to simply not giving data dude stadium improvements he has no intention of helping finance.

I've chatted with the owner of HCFC and he did say he isn't opposed to working with "data guy." If they teamed up and worked together, we could see HCFC is the USL? You never know. Anything can happen.

Reaction Score

Even Jacobs thinks Mandell's proposal has the most "pop."

upload_2017-11-29_11-44-9.png

Reaction Score
"So it's city-owned Dillon, a city already overwhelmed financially".
... and some political appointees' recommendation spitting in the faces of Connecticut's taxpaying-revenue creators. Makes sense :rolleyes:

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Can’t wait to see the amount of money requested by this group for renovations. No chance this ever plays out. My guess is it fizzles out and nothing ever happens with Dillon.

I just can’t see how a city on the brink of bankruptcy can justify spending any money on something as meaningless as a minor league soccer stadium.

Reaction Score
I just can’t see how a city on the brink of bankruptcy can justify spending any money on something as meaningless as a minor league soccer stadium.

I wouldn't exactly say renovating Dillon for pro soccer is "meaningless." Just like DD Park, a renovated Dillon would bring more people into the city.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I wouldn't exactly say renovating Dillon for pro soccer is "meaningless." Just like DD Park, a renovated Dillon would bring more people into the city.
And soccer seems like a good fit with the other goings on in the area.

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
Can’t really compare the two. DD Park was built with the intent of enticing contractors to develop the land around it so the city would get the benefits of that. So far that has resulted in nothing. Are lots of folks going to games? Yes. However, how many of them end up staying for dinner or going out for drinks after? Right now, not many. That could change if they can develop the land around there but right now it’s just a hope.

Dillon is a different animal. It’s not located anywhere near downtown and the area around it is sketchy at best. Yes they have renovated the Colt building but other then that, there’s nothing. I don’t see how throwing city money to renovate it would benefit the city at all. It’s more likely people would not stick around after a game at Dillon then it is for a Yard Goats game.

At least at DD Park you could walk to the downtown restaurants and bars if you wanted to. Not so much from Dillon.

So I’m still sticking to my stance that throwing any city money at Dillon is a slap in the face to state tax payers who are paying to bail out Hartford already. Especially when an offer was on the table to do minor renovations with private funding.

Reaction Score
Dillon is a different animal. It’s not located anywhere near downtown and the area around it is sketchy at best. Yes they have renovated the Colt building but other then that, there’s nothing. I don’t see how throwing city money to renovate it would benefit the city at all. It’s more likely people would not stick around after a game at Dillon then it is for a Yard Goats game.

What you fail to realize is there are a ton of rabid soccer fans in this state who have been yearning for a pro team to play in Hartford. I do believe a D2 team would be well supprted no matter where they end up playing in the city.

So I’m still sticking to my stance that throwing any city money at Dillon is a slap in the face to state tax payers who are paying to bail out Hartford already. Especially when an offer was on the table to do minor renovations with private funding.

Hartford has already said they're not funding the renovations but Friemuth hinted that money from the state could help get the job done. Oh and the private funding you speak of was described as "insufficient" in the eyes of the CRDA. CRDA Backs Woodbridge Businessman For Dillon Stadium Renovation

upload_2017-12-2_11-21-36.png

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
That’s ridiculous. Money set aside for neighborhood projects that might actually help the neighborhood will now be used to refurbish a stadium for a team that still doesn’t exist? Let’s be honest, we all know there won’t be enough money there so the state or city will be forced to pay more in when the construction has already begun and costs run higher, a la DD Park.

I’m not doubting that there won’t be interest or fans won’t show up. I’m just not buying that this will be a boost in anyway for the city of Hartford. I think it’s even more ridiculous to use money set aside for actual projects that might help the neighborhoods around the city to help refurbish a stadium. Maybe it’s just me...

Reaction Score
So I’m still sticking to my stance that throwing any city money at Dillon is a slap in the face to state tax payers who are paying to bail out Hartford already
Even among soccer's stronger CT supporters outside of the Hartford area, like the one-time NHL Whalers with state hockey fans, few CT residents will give a carp <sic>. Especially regarding a possible Hartford soccer team. Particularly, a minor league team playing in a fledgling area with only a blah brewery and a drive required to any reasonably good pub or restaurant (even by the Insurance City's standards of good).

As minimal City of Hartford money exists, and predominantly non-Hartford taxpayers will again be bent over to finance another low-priority project, who truly supports this mess? Well, other than some political appointees with apparent minimal focus on priorities, data dude, and his PR boy?

UCFBfan

Reaction Score
I gotta say that it would be interesting if a team was serious about investing and somehow was able to build something smallish next to DD Park in one of the parcels they are selling. Would make a small sports complex and might even make the XL Center a little bit more appealing for a potential buyer because of the sports mix. I know it’ll never happen and it would cost way more then what they will do to Dillon but would be intriguing if that ever happened. I think you’d be more likely to see the other parcels around DD Park bought up quicker and built on. People would be coming in for games, soccer fans could walk from Vaughn’s or any of the bars downtown to the game, and would be a pretty good scene.

However, I’m not a dreamer and know that Hartford will screw it all up, agree to use this state money to get the Data Mail guy and then find out he doesn’t have the cash, no team shows up, and the stadium costs will rise so high that the project remains forever in a state of incompletion.

Reaction Score
Like it or not, the CRDA recommended Mandell's proposal. Now it's up to Hartford as to what will happen going forward.

Reaction Score
I gotta say that it would be interesting if a team was serious about investing and somehow was able to build something smallish next to DD Park in one of the parcels they are selling. Would make a small sports complex and might even make the XL Center a little bit more appealing for a potential buyer because of the sports mix. I know it’ll never happen and it would cost way more then what they will do to Dillon but would be intriguing if that ever happened. I think you’d be more likely to see the other parcels around DD Park bought up quicker and built on. People would be coming in for games, soccer fans could walk from Vaughn’s or any of the bars downtown to the game, and would be a pretty good scene.

However, I’m not a dreamer and know that Hartford will screw it all up, agree to use this state money to get the Data Mail guy and then find out he doesn’t have the cash, no team shows up, and the stadium costs will rise so high that the project remains forever in a state of incompletion.

That would make too much sense. But CT doesn’t think big so there you go.

Reaction Score
Looks like Failers fans are going to pretend to "support" Hartford soccer if any future squad is named in honor of their dead team. What makes this Facebook post very comical is this clown doesn't even give two craps about soccer. Well, the joke is on them. Mandell has been in talks with the Revolution about a possible affiliation. I'd like to see Failers fans pretend to "support" a team that's affiliated with a MLS club owned by Kraft. LOL

Oh and New London is the "Whaling City", not Hartford.

upload_2017-12-13_22-26-58.png

Reaction Score
They'd be dumb not to associate with the Whaler theme in some way, worked for the Yard Goats.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
It would be fine if the colors were blue and green, but they can do better than "Whale City FC."
Keep posting. I've gone from being a big supporter to apathetic about the whole thing if it means lining up next to you.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom