Hartford/Elm City Thread | Page 3 | The Boneyard

Hartford/Elm City Thread

Reaction Score
The only chance of success the data mail group has is if they rolled Sarwar into their ownership and used the HCFC branding. I like that they are trying to help the community but creating another team to compete against HCFC is not going to work out.

Reaction Score
A New Future For Hartford's Dillon Stadium? The City Weighs Its Options

Data-mail guy wants to make USL bid and has had talks with NE Revolution for an affilation w/ USL/MLS.

Ughhh. Don't like this idea. I want to support our own local team. Not another Wolfpack. Not another baby revs or baby NYCFC. Also don't like that he has $ for team, but no $ for renovations.

I know the city has ~$10 million set aside for civic projects like Dillon. Some of that was spent w/ the felon, but I think it's still available as long as bronin hasn't already used it for balancing budget.

NASL Owners to Help Fund Several NPSL Teams’ Participation in 2018 season

Article says current NASL owners will help fund NPSL team jump to NASL.

I like this idea more. I already supported HCFC and would like to continue. Just get rid of that horse/colt/stallion/pony/donkey looking thing in the logo.

Article also says another bid for a NISA team independent of the other bids from NASL and USL bids. Not sure about this one.

I think data mail and HCFC people should team up to make stronger NASL bid .

Court battle continues on D2 status of NASL and USL. More detail in linked article.

Reaction Score

Data-mail guy wants to make USL bid and has had talks with NE Revolution for an affilation w/ USL/MLS.

Ughhh. Don't like this idea. I want to support our own local team. Not another Wolfpack. Not another baby revs or baby NYCFC. Also don't like that he has $ for team, but no $ for renovations.

I know the city has ~$10 million set aside for civic projects like Dillon. Some of that was spent w/ the felon, but I think it's still available as long as bronin hasn't already used it for balancing budget.

I like this idea more. I already supported HCFC and would like to continue. Just get rid of that horse/colt/stallion/pony/donkey looking thing in the logo.

Article also says another bid for a NISA team independent of the other bids from NASL and USL bids. Not sure about this one.

Court battle continues on D2 status of NASL and USL. More detail in linked article.

This is GREAT news.

While I question the idea if funding so many teams, I think it is the right strategy.

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score

I totally agree on the Data Mail guy concern. The fact that he expects the almost declaring bankruptcy city to fund a stadium is ridiculous and stupid. If Bronin agrees to it I Hartford burns. Honestly, I cheer for that city to be successful but if they are going to use much needed money to build a soccer stadium, when they have another offer from a team that is already up and running and is willing to pay for the upgrades for now, then they deserve the bankruptcy that they’ll be getting.

HCFC can pay for the upgrades now and if they find success, I’m sure they can work out a deal with the city if it’s financial situation improves.

Just not sure I see how the city can justify giving the data mail guy money when they can’t even stay out of bankruptcy right now.

Reaction Score
Bunch of soccer teams fighting over Dillon. Amazing.

NCFC is going to USL next season, they think that will help their chances at an MLS bid.

Edmonton is going to the new Canadian Premier League.

SF Deltas are folding after one season, which is kind of ridiculous. But it’s not my money.

I think the NASL is done if this NPSL experiment doesn’t pay off. They have a few other expansion teams in the hopper, but after an SF Deltas one and done the potential had to be viewed with skepticism.

Reaction Score
Three Developers Make A Pitch For Hartford's Dillon Stadium

I want the sewar bid, but I'm not sure about having a NPSL and NASL play at the same place even though it's a feeder team to the NASL team.
Will sewar own both? Will need strong backer to support 2x teams

Looks like that the USL may use whalers colors which I like, but don't like the terms of the data mail bid.
Don't like the affiliate nature of USL/MLS.

Reaction Score
Data Mail guy sounds like a .
"Mandell’s as-yet-unnamed team would draw 100,000 fans per year, according to his proposal, and the project would spur 40 to 50 full-time jobs.

The soccer team would play 34 regular season games, including 17 home matches at Dillon.
100,000 / 17 home games = ~6K/game? Enthusiastic, but salesman will be salesman!

UCFBfan

Semi Kings of New England!
Reaction Score
Three Developers Make A Pitch For Hartford's Dillon Stadium

I want the sewar bid, but I'm not sure about having a NPSL and NASL play at the same place even though it's a feeder team to the NASL team.
Will sewar own both? Will need strong backer to support 2x teams

Looks like that the USL may use whalers colors which I like, but don't like the terms of the data mail bid.
Don't like the affiliate nature of USL/MLS.
There’s no chance the Data Mail guy gets a penny from the city which puts his bid DOA. I would be shocked if HCFC doesn’t win the bid. I agree that having a NASL and NPSL team might not work but the city can’t beat the terms, assuming it really is all private money that makes up the 400k Sewar mentions.

Reaction Score
Michael Freimuth is lost if he thinks this market wants to be Robert Kraft's farm club.. What an absolute travesty that will be if it happens. I definitely won't support them, that's for sure.

Reaction Score
Michael Freimuth is lost if he thinks this market wants to be Robert Kraft's farm club.. What an absolute travesty that will be if it happens. I definitely won't support them, that's for sure.

And what's wrong with that?

Reaction Score

Like it or not, Hartford has been a minor league city for 20 years now and will be for many years to come.

Oh and the Wolf Pack are the ONLY reason why Hartford hockey isn't dead right now.

Last edited by a moderator:

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
I go to a half-dozen Pack games a year. It's always a good time.

Reaction Score
Lots. I mean who wouldn’t want to be the AAA team for the most underwhelming team in MLS?

I would prefer to have a stable league (USL) that is backed by MLS as opposed to a league (NASL) that lost its Division II status and is falling apart as we speak. I get the whole "our team" mentality but it's hard to achieve that when Hartford was relegated to minor league city status 20 years ago.

NASL's D2 sanctioning not extended beyond this year
U.S. Soccer denies NASL Division 2 status for 2018
Breaking down the NASL v. USSF antitrust court decision
NASL denied injunction in court case vs. U.S. Soccer

Last edited:
Reaction Score
I would prefer to have a stable league (USL) that is backed by MLS as opposed to a league (NASL) that lost its Division II status and is falling apart as we speak. I get the whole "our team" mentality but it's hard to achieve that when Hartford was relegated to minor league city status 20 years ago.

NASL's D2 sanctioning not extended beyond this year
U.S. Soccer denies NASL Division 2 status for 2018
Breaking down the NASL v. USSF antitrust court decision
NASL denied injunction in court case vs. U.S. Soccer

Yes. We are already well aware of these issues.

Take a look at the attendance figures for these MLS 2 teams. They are pitiful. AND the independent teams in USL have been pushing to get the MLS2 teams into Division 3. Which should give you an indication of the brewing disharmony there.

Lastly having “divisions” in US Soccer is pretty useless. There is no pro rel so they serve no functional purpose other than to provide seeding for the US Open Cup, of which the MLS2 teams are barred from participating in.

So yeah I would rather see a successful NASL and an NASL team in Hartford that has the same kind of following as Miami, Indianapolis and New York.

Reaction Score
So yeah I would rather see a successful NASL and an NASL team in Hartford that has the same kind of following as Miami, Indianapolis and New York.

That's if NASL is even around next season. We can debate USL vs. NASL all we want but in the end, the CRDA is going to endorse a league whose future isn't in jeopardy. It would look pretty stupid to go with the NASL only for them to fold months later. Not to mention it seems like Michael Freimuth has already unofficially endorsed the USL proposal before that public hearing even took place.

Editorial: In Cash Strapped Hartford, Only One Pro Soccer Choice Adds Up

Reaction Score
That's if NASL is even around next season. We can debate USL vs. NASL all we want but in the end, the CRDA is going to endorse a league whose future isn't in jeopardy. It would look pretty stupid to go with the NASL only for them to fold months later. Not to mention it seems like Michael Freimuth has already unofficially endorsed the USL proposal before that public hearing even took place.

Editorial: In Cash Strapped Hartford, Only One Pro Soccer Choice Adds Up

Funny you posted an Editorial that endorsed Hartford City. Freimuth is pretty ignorant on soccer matters. Most soccer fans in America don’t actually watch MLS. This is fact. The English Premier League and Liga MX get better ratings on TV.

The NASL has died each of the past three offseasons. I expect nothing less this offseason. And F the USL. They have helped limit independent growth and investment at the pro level in this country. They are a bunch of lackeys who probably don’t even want to get behind FIFA standard solidarity payments.

Second divisions should be about championships not farm teams. I prefer an independent 2nd division with a real marketplace. In the USL players get loaned on a weekly basis, and the MLS2 teams aren’t even real clubs, they are just basically practice squads with a bunch of guys with little to no hope to ever play at the highest professional level.

Reaction Score
Funny you posted an Editorial that endorsed Hartford City. Freimuth is pretty ignorant on soccer matters. Most soccer fans in America don’t actually watch MLS. This is fact. The English Premier League and Liga MX get better ratings on TV.

The NASL has died each of the past three offseasons. I expect nothing less this offseason. And F the USL. They have helped limit independent growth and investment at the pro level in this country. They are a bunch of lackeys who probably don’t even want to get behind FIFA standard solidarity payments.

Second divisions should be about championships not farm teams. I prefer an independent 2nd division with a real marketplace. In the USL players get loaned on a weekly basis, and the MLS2 teams aren’t even real clubs, they are just basically practice squads with a bunch of guys with little to no hope to ever play at the highest professional level.

So I can safely assume you'll "boycott" Hartford soccer if the USL does indeed set up shop in our capital city? Very similar to how Failers fans "boycott" the Wolf Pack in hopes their dead team will come back. Fat chance. HAHA

Reaction Score
So I can safely assume you'll "boycott" Hartford soccer if the USL does indeed set up shop in our capital city? Very similar to how Failers fans "boycott" the Wolf Pack in hopes their dead team will come back. Fat chance. HAHA

I live in KC. But no I wouldn’t support a USL team out of principle.

Oh look. Here’s Don Garber casting the USSF’s vote at the FIFA Congress last year. No collusion here.

And yes, the only thing more nothingburger than minor league hockey is minor league soccer.

Instead, you should support Independent Second Division soccer.

Reaction Score
God forbid if Hartford ever had an affiliated soccer team that reminded Failers fans of the Wolf Pack, am I right? LOL

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom