Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems? | Page 7 | The Boneyard

Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems?

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Forgot to mention I also went to Tangiers this week. Excellent falafel wrap. I’m not even sure what the heck I ordered exactly but it was good.

Another spot I hit up was Cheshire pizza (outside of the Hartford criteria) but I’m goving the buffalo chicken pizza an 8.8.... not sure how the cheese one is (probably a 7) but I was told buffalo chicken only. It’s a Greek style and change of pace from all the thin crust.

So considering the conversion factor, an 8.8 on the Greek Pizza scale = 6.2 on The General Pizza scale. :D

Reaction Score
So considering the conversion factor, an 8.8 on the Greek Pizza scale = 6.2 on The General Pizza scale. :D
Completely agree. Greek doughy pizza absolutely needs an automatic adjustment down on any rating. My wife loves Park Lane Pizza in WH, I'd rather walk across the street to Joey's.

Reaction Score
You could typically say that but this was legit. Boneyard won’t let me attach files (too big apparently)

Reaction Score
Mexican and Vietnamese?
Yea, they sell their version of Pho (inferior to many of the local Vietnamese places) and then they do Phorrito's which are for the most part traditional Mexican burrito fixings, but you can add rice noodles, plum sauce, sriracha, bean sprouts, etc. Turns out pretty tasty. Not a bad lunch spot. They could do better with the fusion aspect of their menu.

mexipho

Husky25

Dink & Dunk beat the Greatest Show on Turf.
Reaction Score
Completely agree. Greek doughy pizza absolutely needs an automatic adjustment down on any rating. My wife loves Park Lane Pizza in WH, I'd rather walk across the street to Joey's.

As Caromino says Greek is sometimes a nice change of pace, but there is no comparison. It has different ingredients and preparation. I broke it down a few years ago in the "Best Pizza in CT" Thread.

Waquoit

Mr. Positive
Reaction Score
As Caromino says Greek is sometimes a nice change of pace, but there is no comparison. It has different ingredients and preparation. I broke it down a few years ago in the "Best Pizza in CT" Thread.
They seemed to be a lot more prevalent when I was a kid.

Reaction Score
Forgot to mention I also went to Tangiers this week. Excellent falafel wrap. I’m not even sure what the heck I ordered exactly but it was good.

Another spot I hit up was Cheshire pizza (outside of the Hartford criteria) but I’m goving the buffalo chicken pizza an 8.8.... not sure how the cheese one is (probably a 7) but I was told buffalo chicken only. It’s a Greek style and change of pace from all the thin crust.

Best geek style pizza in the area. Dough is not overly thick and the crust has great flavor.

Reaction Score

I'll never understand why people are obsessed with Park Lane Pizza.

Reaction Score
almost always prefer thin crust, but if you want outstanding Greek style hit up Elm Hill Pizza in Newington. Good grinders as well

Reaction Score
When I first moved to CT I used to go with my co-workers after work to the Spigot in West Hartford for pitchers of beer and pizza. I always remembered it as being good. I drove by there last week and stopped in for nostalgia's sake. I was told they haven't served pizza for 20-25 years. They still have a good beer selection.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
When I first moved to CT I used to go with my co-workers after work to the Spigot in West Hartford for pitchers of beer and pizza. I always remembered it as being good. I drove by there last week and stopped in for nostalgia's sake. I was told they haven't served pizza for 20-25 years. They still have a good beer selection.
Played a lot of darts and drank a lot of beer there in law school; I think the only thing I ever ate there was popcorn.

Reaction Score

It probably looked today exactly what it looked like 20-25 years ago.

Reaction Score
It probably looked today exactly what it looked like 20-25 years ago.
When I used to go was actually more like 38 years ago. And yes it looked just like I remember. Minus the flat screen TV's and pizza. The person who told me they haven't served pizza a in 20-25 years was about 25. So I would take that number with a grain of salt.

Reaction Score
When I used to go was actually more like 38 years ago. And yes it looked just like I remember. Minus the flat screen TV's and pizza. The person who told me they haven't served pizza a in 20-25 years was about 25. So I would take that number with a grain of salt.
It’s been at least 15 years. All they had was beer and darts and a couple CRT TVs on the wall back then. Pretty sure I mopped the floor with @Robertelamin that day. Or was that at Duffy’s?

Reaction Score
I'll never understand why people are obsessed with Park Lane Pizza.

I wholeheartedly agree. As a kid I worked at Quaker Lane Shell and even then wouldn't go there. As you get older you appreciate that nothing and I mean nothing has changed there.

Reaction Score
It’s been at least 15 years. All they had was beer and darts and a couple CRT TVs on the wall back then. Pretty sure I mopped the floor with @Robertelamin that day. Or was that at Duffy’s?

Lies and vicious allegations!

Definitely not Duffys though. That place was a little too unruly for the town.

TRest

Horrible
Reaction Score
Lived in West Hartford a long time and never understood as well. Will never make sense to me.
I get their grinders to go occasionally. They are perfectly fine.

Reaction Score
Just went on my first of many trips to all of the hidden gems listed above. Tried the italian style chicken cutlet grinder at Wethersfield Pizza. Thanks to whoever said it was cash only, I almost forgot! Grinder lived up to the hype, solid 8.5/10. Very filling and the sauce was very good. The couple that owns it was very friendly as well. Overall will definitely be out there again.

True story. I went tonight and rang up a $51 take out bill and only had my Visa card with me. The folks there were real nice and I will go back on monday or tuesday with cash. Grinders were indeed excellent, got both varieties of the chicken cutlet. I think I prefer the sauce and cheese one, but the other one was still damn good. Plus, 2 large grinders and a salad could comfortably feed 4 people. Thanks to all who recommended this place.

Reaction Score
True story. I went tonight and rang up a $51 take out bill and only had my Visa card with me. The folks there were real nice and I will go back on monday or tuesday with cash. Grinders were indeed excellent, got both varieties of the chicken cutlet. I think I prefer the sauce and cheese one, but the other one was still damn good. Plus, 2 large grinders and a salad could comfortably feed 4 people. Thanks to all who recommended this place.
That's pretty cool that they trust you to come back and pay. Not too many businesses would do that. If I owned the place I would have made you drive your a $$ down the street to the nearest ATM! :)

Reaction Score
One thing I have yet to find is good Middle Eastern food in the Hartford area. I usually do Middle Eastern for lunch at least once a week, frequently twice. Anyone got any good recs in the Hartford area?

Rivers Edge in Unionville. Real good food, very pleasant owner. I am no expert on Middle Eastern food, but it was real good the two times I went. There is also a Lebanese place on route 5 in South Windsor called Villa of Lebanon. The food was extremely good, check out its reviews on TripAdvisor.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
That's pretty cool that they trust you to come back and pay. Not too many businesses would do that. If I owned the place I would have made you drive your a $$ down the street to the nearest ATM! :)

They have an ATM right in the restaurant. I literally only brought my license and Visa card, and they knew I had come across the river from Glastonbury. They knew I wouldnt stiff them. Now I know to bring $.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
UChuskman

Top Bottom