Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems? | Page 6 | The Boneyard

Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems?

Reaction Score
Just went on my first of many trips to all of the hidden gems listed above. Tried the italian style chicken cutlet grinder at Wethersfield Pizza. Thanks to whoever said it was cash only, I almost forgot! Grinder lived up to the hype, solid 8.5/10. Very filling and the sauce was very good. The couple that owns it was very friendly as well. Overall will definitely be out there again.

Reaction Score
Wow shadey glen! That place has been there as long as I have been alive, which is a few months shy of 70 years. Used to go there with my mom as a little tot. Franklin Giant has been around forever as well. I try explaining to people here in Europe what a real sandwich is by describing the grinders at Franklin giant. Over here it’s ridiculous the puny sandwiches they make.

Do Europeans find it confusing when you tell them “if you want a real Italian sandwhich, you gotta go to the South End of Hartford, Connecticut”

Reaction Score
Just went on my first of many trips to all of the hidden gems listed above. Tried the italian style chicken cutlet grinder at Wethersfield Pizza. Thanks to whoever said it was cash only, I almost forgot! Grinder lived up to the hype, solid 8.5/10. Very filling and the sauce was very good. The couple that owns it was very friendly as well. Overall will definitely be out there again.

Interesting thing I’ve always found about CT Italian food (and I was reminded of this with this thread and the pizza thread): I believe the New Haven area has better pizza, but I believe greater Hartford has the better grinders.

Last edited:

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Nice. Agree on all; but you must get back there for the minestrone now that it is in season. Even if you get a grinder, get the soup to bring home. She only sells it in fall and winter and it is always slightly different, but always excellent. Hands down the best minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant, because it tastes like the best homemade soup. I think even @Hans Sprungfeld would approve.

Reaction Score
Nice. Agree on all; but you must get back there for the minestrone now that it is in season. Even if you get a grinder, get the soup to bring home. She only sells it in fall and winter and it is always slightly different, but always excellent. Hands down the best minestrone I've ever had from a restaurant, because it tastes like the best homemade soup. I think even @Hans Sprungfeld would approve.
I saw a sign for it when I was there today. The grinder was huge so I didn't even consider getting the minestrone, but ill check it out next time. Thanks for the heads up!

Reaction Score
Do Europeans find it confusing when you tell them “if you want a real Italian sandwhich, you gotta go to the South End of Hartford, Connecticut”

I wonder what a European thinks a “Franklin Giant Grinder” is.

GemParty

Co~host of the Sliders & Curveballs Podcast
Reaction Score
Shady Glen is definitely an old school joint. Cheese hat is original, but frozen burgers?
Nice ice cream.

Reaction Score

Back to the Chicken Cutlet Grinder, sauce and cheese or the American style? Both sound great. Also, do any of their salads stand out?

Reaction Score
Back to the Chicken Cutlet Grinder, sauce and cheese or the American style? Both sound great. Also, do any of their salads stand out?
They both look fire but sounds like the sauce and cheese is their famous one. I plan on trying both!

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I have only had it with sauce, and salad is not on my agenda when I go there so I can't speak to that.

Reaction Score
I haven't seen any recommendations for Sushi. Probably validating what I have thought for quite some time...nothing good around Hartford area. It's been awhile but I did like Toshi in Avon but a good drive from Hartford.

I like Ginza in Bloomfield and Wethersfield. Same ownership as Feng.

Reaction Score

tenor.gif

Reaction Score
Was going to try Wethersfield Pizza House today but ended up at Hot Table in Glastonbury. Wow those were some good Sandwich/ Panini's. Doesn't fit the mold of a "hidden gem" but it's definitely in the 8-9/10 range for a Panini type sandwich.

Reaction Score
Was going to try Wethersfield Pizza House today but ended up at Hot Table in Glastonbury. Wow those were some good Sandwich/ Panini's. Doesn't fit the mold of a "hidden gem" but it's definitely in the 8-9/10 range for a Panini type sandwich.
Agree 100%

Reaction Score
They are a quick, satisfying lunch. Hard to do better for fast casual.

Reaction Score

Thanks for pointing out something right under my nose. is it in the same plaza as Bertucci's ?

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Thanks for pointing out something right under my nose. is it in the same plaza as Bertucci's ?
Yea it is. MexiPho right next door isn't too bad either.

Reaction Score
Forgot to mention I also went to Tangiers this week. Excellent falafel wrap. I’m not even sure what the heck I ordered exactly but it was good.

Another spot I hit up was Cheshire pizza (outside of the Hartford criteria) but I’m goving the buffalo chicken pizza an 8.8.... not sure how the cheese one is (probably a 7) but I was told buffalo chicken only. It’s a Greek style and change of pace from all the thin crust.

Reaction Score
Forgot to mention I also went to Tangiers this week. Excellent falafel wrap. I’m not even sure what the heck I ordered exactly but it was good.

Another spot I hit up was Cheshire pizza (outside of the Hartford criteria) but I’m goving the buffalo chicken pizza an 8.8.... not sure how the cheese one is (probably a 7) but I was told buffalo chicken only. It’s a Greek style and change of pace from all the thin crust.
Can we get a pic?

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom