Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems? | Page 4 | The Boneyard

Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems?

Reaction Score
Dudes. What is the name of that old sit down pizza restaurant in Hartford wjth “Tavern” in its name. Known for its crazy eggplant pizza?

Anyway, that place. It’s fire.

edit: just remembered the name. FIRST & LAST TAVERN

Thank you, I try and carry the banner for First and Last on all the food threads here, very few people seem to understand how great it is.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Thank you, I try and carry the banner for First and Last on all the food threads here, very few people seem to understand how great it is.
That place made me realize how little people seem to appreciate the beauty of crispy fried eggplant chunks on pizza. It’s like no pizza places want to even entertain the idea.

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
NOTE: there is a huge difference between the franchises in the suburbs and the original
Kinda ironic for a place named FIRST & LAST amirite?

Curiouser
Reaction Score
That place made me realize how little people seem to appreciate the beauty of crispy fried eggplant chunks on pizza. It’s like no pizza places want to even entertain the idea.
Haven't been there in years, but Harry's in West Hartford center used to have great fried eggplant pieces as an add-on. Eggplant and artichoke red pie with mozz was always one of our go-tos there. Modern in New Haven also makes a great eggplant for their pie. More of a classic Italian fried eggplant.

Reaction Score
Haven't been there in years, but Harry's in West Hartford center used to have great fried eggplant pieces as an add-on. Eggplant and artichoke red pie with mozz was always one of our go-tos there. Modern in New Haven also makes a great eggplant for their pie. More of a classic Italian fried eggplant.

Living out of state, I haven’t been in a couple years either but its the first place I think of when I think of restaurants “back home”

Reaction Score
Living out of state, I haven’t been in a couple years either but its the first place I think of when I think of restaurants “back home”

The pizza is really good but it’s the classic dishes that are the best. I dream about their vodka sauce.

Reaction Score
Do you and your family make a point of it to eat at pretty much every place in the state? I swear you must range far and wide on the daily.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Do you and your family make a point of it to eat at pretty much every place in the state? I swear you must range far and wide on the daily.
Work, friends and family have brought me/us around to most corners of the state at some point or another over the years. And I love to eat well. And pizza is probably my favorite food, period.

I start thinking about lunch pretty much from the time I get up. And when I make plans, like to attend Sunday's game, the first thing on my mind is how I can combine a good meal before and/or after the game. Which, on Sunday, will probably be O'Rourke's beforehand for a late breakfast. Possibly Eli Cannon's for a pop post-game.

Reaction Score
Work, friends and family have brought me/us around to most corners of the state at some point or another over the years. And I love to eat well. And pizza is probably my favorite food, period.

I start thinking about lunch pretty much from the time I get up. And when I make plans, like to attend Sunday's game, the first thing on my mind is how I can combine a good meal before and/or after the game. Which, on Sunday, will probably be O'Rourke's beforehand for a late breakfast. Possibly Eli Cannon's for a pop post-game.

Have you or @August_West been to The Essex in Essex? Never heard of it till other day guess it's run/ owned by a Michelin star chef. Front of house white table cloth setting back of house Mexican bar type setting strange combination.

Apparently the chef is from nyc and he was going to open this restaurant in Miami but mom got sick and moved back to essex. Interested to hear if anyone has tried it out

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Have you or @August_West been to The Essex in Essex? Never heard of it till other day guess it's run/ owned by a Michelin star chef. Front of house white table cloth setting back of house Mexican bar type setting strange combination.

Apparently the chef is from nyc and he was going to open this restaurant in Miami but mom got sick and moved back to essex. Interested to hear if anyone has tried it out
I have not been yet; not sure about August. Like you, I only heard about it recently, and heard pretty much what you did. I don't get out that way much.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score

Yes.

I am sitting 500 feet from it as I type this.

I eat there fairly frequently. Its interesting. Rotating menu . Lots of good stuff. Can be a bit pricey.

August_West

Reaction Score
Yes.

I am sitting 500 feet from it as I type this.

I eat there fairly frequently. Its interesting. Rotating menu . Lots of good stuff. Can be a bit pricey.

I should add my best experiences there have been the couple times ive done the full Omakase thats where it shines in my opinion. Not that the on Menu al a cartes are lacking. They arent. But the Omakase gets me out of my own head and onto stuff that I wouldnt normally order and I had revelations both times.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
One thing I have yet to find is good Middle Eastern food in the Hartford area. I usually do Middle Eastern for lunch at least once a week, frequently twice. Anyone got any good recs in the Hartford area?

August_West

Reaction Score

I have not been yet; not sure about August. Like you, I only heard about it recently, and heard pretty much what you did. I don't get out that way much.

Ive always meant to ask you two.

You ever go to "the table" in Madison?

a couple has been bugging my wife and I to do one with them for a while now. Looks very interesting.

Curiouser
Reaction Score

a couple has been bugging my wife and I to do one with them for a while now. Looks very interesting.
No. Not yet. Mrs. 8893 cut out an article about it several months ago and she kept it out to remind us that we wanted to do it over the summer, and then every time I brought it up it became a dilemma about who would be the "right" people to do it with. Perhaps this is serendipitous! Let me know!

Reaction Score

Haven't been yet but have heard good things.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any recommendations for Sushi. Probably validating what I have thought for quite some time...nothing good around Hartford area. It's been awhile but I did like Toshi in Avon but a good drive from Hartford.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
I haven't seen any recommendations for Sushi. Probably validating what I have thought for quite some time...nothing good around Hartford area. It's been awhile but I did like Toshi in Avon but a good drive from Hartford.
I had sushi at Feng Asian Bistro downtown around a year or two ago. It was fine. Not bad; not outstanding.

August_West

Reaction Score

only in CT is a 20 minute drive a "good drive" :)

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sad Tiger

Top Bottom