Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems? | Page 5 | The Boneyard

Hartford Area Hidden Lunch Gems?

BUConn10

Artist formerly known as BUHusky10
Reaction Score
Work, friends and family have brought me/us around to most corners of the state at some point or another over the years. And I love to eat well. And pizza is probably my favorite food, period.

I start thinking about lunch pretty much from the time I get up. And when I make plans, like to attend Sunday's game, the first thing on my mind is how I can combine a good meal before and/or after the game. Which, on Sunday, will probably be O'Rourke's beforehand for a late breakfast. Possibly Eli Cannon's for a pop post-game.
*Chuck_Norris_thumbs_up.gif*

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
One thing I have yet to find is good Middle Eastern food in the Hartford area. I usually do Middle Eastern for lunch at least once a week, frequently twice. Anyone got any good recs in the Hartford area?
TBH, not exactly sure if falafel or gyros are considered Middle Eastern but I like Tangiers...Thought I saw that earlier. If you want to head south of the middle east and close to Tangiers in West Hartford you can go that Ethiopian place on Farmington Ave towards Hartford-Abyssinian.
It might be Eritrean food but I'm not sure what that means either.

August_West

Universal remote, put it down on docking station.
Reaction Score
Sunday, will probably be O'Rourke's beforehand for a late breakfast

lolz.

going to O'Rourkes tomorrow AM.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
TBH, not exactly sure if falafel or gyros are considered Middle Eastern but I like Tangiers...Thought I saw that earlier. If you want to head south of the middle east and close to Tangiers in West Hartford you can go that Ethiopian place on Farmington Ave towards Hartford-Abyssinian.
It might be Eritrean food but I'm not sure what that means either.
Thanks. Yes, I'm talking falafel, hummus, foul muddammas (my favorite), shwarma and the like. Tangiers looks like it is worth a try. Will check it out.

I don't do Ethiopian often; never for lunch. Used to have great dinners at the old Cafe Adulis in New Haven, but they closed ten years ago and I don't think I've had that cuisine since.

TerryBoyz

Get four fruits!
Reaction Score
Didn't want to get called out for going off point-- believe the criteria was within 15 min of Hartford.
Howev
er, it feels like another state once you go over the mountain.

Reaction Score
Yeah it is. Was just there last week. Good spot.

Way back (don't know about now), the NLHS team bus used to stop there for lunch before Hartford events - other times at a real restaurant. While A&R served up sandwiches for the team, we used to buy the long hot dogs - a mysterious / exotic food in the day.

Reaction Score
Living out of state, I haven’t been in a couple years either but its the first place I think of when I think of restaurants “back home”

I like how Harry’s wife fired him and banned him from West Hartford Center location so Harry made Harry’s Bishops Corner.

Reaction Score
NY Deli across from XL. Great sandwiches Ruben etc. Not much seating nice people.CLEAN.

Reaction Score
I was a big Barbs fan. I think it’s in Cromwell or Rocky Hill now.
Oh, no shizzle! I thought they folded up shop completely. They had some pretty good 'Za. Also don't you just hate it when people call it 'Za? One of my old bosses used to with no shame about it. He thought it was so cool, you could tell.

Reaction Score
Oh, no shizzle! I thought they folded up shop completely. They had some pretty good 'Za. Also don't you just hate it when people call it 'Za? One of my old bosses used to with no shame about it. He thought it was so cool, you could tell.

No one should ever call it Za.

Reaction Score
Just curious. What is Za? I am assuming lasagna.

Reaction Score
One thing I have yet to find is good Middle Eastern food in the Hartford area. I usually do Middle Eastern for lunch at least once a week, frequently twice. Anyone got any good recs in the Hartford area?

Having married into a large Lebanese family from the Fall River area I can safely say “no”. Sultan’s in Waterbury is decent.

*Edit — forgot about Zohara in West Hartford center. Also decent.

Curiouser
Reaction Score
Having married into a large Lebanese family from the Fall River area I can safely say “no”. Sultan’s in Waterbury is decent.
I am in Waterbury often. Will check them out, thanks.

My favorites in New Haven area are Mediterranea downtown on Orange Street and Bab Al Salam in Orange. I believe both are Syrian, which appears to be my preference as among different takes on Middle Eastern cuisine. Although they are both quite different from each other.

Reaction Score
I liked Zaytoon's on Park Rd. Not as greasy as some places, like my Lebanese girlfriend used to cook, but that was in the late 70s.

Owned by Jordanians with at least 2 very attractive young women working there.

Reaction Score
I am in Waterbury often. Will check them out, thanks.

My favorites in New Haven area are Mediterranea downtown on Orange Street and Bab Al Salam in Orange. I believe both are Syrian, which appears to be my preference as among different takes on Middle Eastern cuisine. Although they are both quite different from each other.

Syrian and Lebanese are closest to each other. I do like Mediterranea but have never tried Bab Al Salam. Next door to Sultans is Dunya, a market and falafel shop if you’re just passing through. Good falafel, but their bread and zhatar are just ok.

My in-laws own Sam’s Bakery in Fall River. Highly recommend if you are passing through there. Meat pies, spinach/broccoli with feta, grape leaves, the best hummus in the northeast, and amazing bread.

Reaction Score
Mickey’s - east hartford
Hot oven panini - West Hartford
Cornerstone - Hartford
Franklin Giant Grinder- Hartford
Shady Glen- Manchester if feel like driving that far
Augie n Rays - East Hartford
Harry’s Pizza -West Hartford bishops corner
Black Bamboo- West Hartford
Carl’s- East Hartford

Honestly we’ll need a bears stop in there despite not being hidden.
Wow shadey glen! That place has been there as long as I have been alive, which is a few months shy of 70 years. Used to go there with my mom as a little tot. Franklin Giant has been around forever as well. I try explaining to people here in Europe what a real sandwich is by describing the grinders at Franklin giant. Over here it’s ridiculous the puny sandwiches they make.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
deltaop99

Top Bottom