Grad Transfers and Marijuana Use | Page 8 | The Boneyard

Grad Transfers and Marijuana Use

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction Score
Nice player would love him as a Husky.
My in-laws are NDSU alum, so I watch a decent amount of Summit bball and I’ve watched SDSU about 3 or 4 times this year. Jenkins is a great lead guard with great energy, poise and confidence to score at 3 levels. He has some Vital in his game as an undersized 2. Him and Daum made a great 1/2 punch for the Jackrabbits.

Reaction Score
Really? I didn't know that. Is there a medical component or is it just agreement not to play?

Once you're not on the basketball team for whatever reason, the university can give you a scholarship just like it can any other student for whatever reason and it doesn't count against the program and has nothing to do with the program. But obviously then you can't then come back and play because you will have been a recruited player who took school money without it counting towards the schollie limit.

Dream Jobbed 2.0

“Most definitely”
Reaction Score
Wonder if URI is an option. Probably would be best dropping down a level and Hurley's replacement Cox is way connected in the DMV
A guy who put up 10 and 4 in the ACC should “go down a level?”

Reaction Score
Someone familiar with Stanford told me today that Jaiden Delaire is considering a transfer. Doubt we would be involved as he overlaps with Polley and Akok and looked horrendous last year for Stanford. Seems like he may be a lemon that we missed on.
There were some that were very high on delaire last summer if I recall correctly. Wasn't he being looked at by duke?

Reaction Score
Delaire was great the one time I watched him. Had no idea he fizzled out. I ignore the PAC, just like everyone else.

Reaction Score
Delaire was great the one time I watched him. Had no idea he fizzled out. I ignore the PAC, just like everyone else.
I wouldn't say Delaire fizzled out. He was just clearly not ready for college level play and reclassified anyway. He's way too weak to be a forward and not quick/athletic/skilled enough to be a ball handling wing either. He needed another year of HS.

Reclassifying up a year may work for the Barretts, Bagleys, and Basseys of the world, but most of the time I see kids do it and I just feel bad for them, because it's usually the result of a desperate coach's sales pitch that will effectively waste a year of the kid's eligibility and drain him of confidence.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Once you're not on the basketball team for whatever reason, the university can give you a scholarship just like it can any other student for whatever reason and it doesn't count against the program and has nothing to do with the program. But obviously then you can't then come back and play because you will have been a recruited player who took school money without it counting towards the schollie limit.
Ah got it. So that presumes that the student would have a merit or aid basis for a schollie or grant.

Reaction Score
Ah got it. So that presumes that the student would have a merit or aid basis for a schollie or grant.

Or the school just allows the athletic department to give him a scholarship from its budget or otherwise. Once he can't play any more, the NCAA is out of the picture and it's just up to the school.

CL82

NCAA Men’s Basketball National Champions - Again!
Reaction Score
Or the school just allows the athletic department to give him a scholarship from its budget or otherwise. Once he can't play any more, the NCAA is out of the picture and it's just up to the school.
Wow. Did not know that at all. Surprised it doesn't happen more often.

Reaction Score
It happens in football all the time. Basketball players don't have all that many career ending injuries.

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
Still no Uconn players on the transfer portal... does Hurley have a policy of not forcing out players? Strange that he’s never had a single player transfer out of one of his programs...

Reaction Score
Forcing out and having an honest conversation with players about their future and potential limited playing time are two seperate things. Reactions to that conversation may vary depending on the players individual expecations and desires. It's been pointed out several times that having scholarships available are not going to be an issue. How many is anyone's guess. I think we just have to be patient.

Last edited:

RipCity

Absolute Savage
Reaction Score
Still no Uconn players on the transfer portal... does Hurley have a policy of not forcing out players? Strange that he’s never had a single player transfer out of one of his programs...
Or maybe you’re just really impatient and read too far into every little thing

Reaction Score
Forcing out and having an honest conversation with players about their future and potential limited playing time are two seperate things. Reactions to that conversation may vary depending on the players individual expecations and desires. It's been pointed out several times that having scholarships available are not going to be an issue. How many is anyone's guess. I think we just have to be patient.
I agree with what you say. However, it would be nice to know what is going to happen. All this speculation about transfers, decommits, grad transfers, and JUCO players is beginning to drive me batty.

Reaction Score

I don't think this is true, at least according to our most informed Hurley poster @NJHoops

UconnU

If he blocks 100, he blocks 100
Reaction Score
I don't think this is true, at least according to our most informed Hurley poster @NJHoops
I remember when Hurley was first signed he made it a point to mention that he’s never had a player transfer?

Reaction Score
I remember when Hurley was first signed he made it a point to mention that he’s never had a player transfer?

If I remember her correctly, Hurley had 2 grad transfers at URI and he kicked one player off the team.

Reaction Score
Wrote this earlier:

It’s not quite true that he’s never had a transfer. He had two guys leave as grad transfers (both went to lower levels), and he had a little-used sophomore that transferred the same year (also went to a lower level). The grad transfers were regular transfers he had brought in in to sit out during his first year at URI. They moved on as the talent upgrade happened.

What is true is that he’s never lost a guy to transfer that he didn’t want to. URI was also really limited his first years there because of APR concerns, so there was a reason to limit player movement. He’ll be incredibly honest with the returning guys, but he’s also not going to fundamentally change who he is as a coach and teacher.

Grad transfers were Jarelle Reischel and Biggie Minnis, regular transfer was Matthew Butler. Mike Powell and Jordan Hare were dismissed from the team and never played anywhere else. In the early days at URI, he didn’t necessarily kick anyone off of the team if they weren’t good enough. He does if they’re bad for the team and what they’re trying to build (Mike and Jordan and much earlier... Tristan Thompson). He does pride himself on creating teams that guys want to be a part of, and he kept good talent (Matthews and Martin, specifically) through a challenging season when other guys might have bolted. In short, one regular transfer in 6 years at URI.

Last edited:
Reaction Score
First big one off the board I think

Good for him, who could ever imagine a kid who averages 6 ppg as a junior at Bucknell will finish his career at Kentucky.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
dogsdogsdog

Top Bottom