GoT Season Seven | Page 47 | The Boneyard

GoT Season Seven

Reaction Score
Recent episode director.

"So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff."

As Taylor tells Variety, the Thrones team has been focusing on the “emotional experience” of Snow-cean’s Seven’s misguided mission rather than the particulars of how it unfolds.

“We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there"

Reaction Score
Recent episode director.

"So I think we were straining plausibility a little bit, but I hope the story’s momentum carries over some of that stuff."

As Taylor tells Variety, the Thrones team has been focusing on the “emotional experience” of Snow-cean’s Seven’s misguided mission rather than the particulars of how it unfolds.

“We tried to hedge it a little bit with the eternal twilight up there north of The Wall. I think there was some effort to fudge the timeline a little bit by not declaring exactly how long we were there"

Just what I said. People here keep making definitive statements about the timeline (crow flies in a single day) and yet there was no definitive indication of any of that.

Reaction Score
Just what I said. People here keep making definitive statements about the timeline (crow flies in a single day) and yet there was no definitive indication of any of that.

The director wasn't going to outright admit that the plot and timeline was preposterous. This is as close as we are getting. Like I said, I don't really care. The criticism of this episode has been nearly universal and you are on an island but I do admit that many people are going far overboard. The show has never actually been going toe-to-toe with The Wire.

Reaction Score
The director wasn't going to outright admit that the plot and timeline was preposterous. This is as close as we are getting. Like I said, I don't really care. The criticism of this episode has been nearly universal and you are on an island but I do admit that many people are going far overboard. The show has never actually been going toe-to-toe with The Wire.

I am a rock.

intlzncster

i fart in your general direction
Reaction Score
people are going far overboard. The show has never actually been going toe-to-toe with The Wire.

What do you mean? For a while it was an absolute tour de force. People who complained nothing happened are people who like Michael Bay movies. It was all subtlety and nuance.

Coming from someone who loves The Wire. Two of the best acted shows ever made.

Reaction Score
Recent episode director.

Watched the "behind the episode". Apparently staying on the island around semi-frozen water was "the only" way that they could have possibly survived the scenario they found themselves in.

And the explanation for Benjen's death.... gears were ground
How long do you think it took Gendry to run back to the Wall? We got that final shot of him seeing it with the huge forest that laid between him and it, and that was after presumably some serious running already. How long do you think it took exhausted Gendry to run that last portion through the snow?

You're confusing definitive statements with statements of skepticism. We don't believe it is plausible for five dudes to survive more than a night exposed completely to the cold that the Winter brought on by the Night King produces (none of us are chemists, but I wonder how quickly already-freezing ice would re-freeze in those temperatures), with no food or water, after having already exerted themselves in the initial fight and chase.

Or hell, as long as it took for Gendry to run back to the Wall (seriously why didn't they go on horseback? Could've solved a massive part of this hole), get a raven to Dragonstone, and have Danny fly hundreds and hundreds of miles to their exact location. The longer that ice allegedly took to re-freeze, the longer they went without food or water. I believe it's nearly impossible for anyone to survive more than a couple days without water. Even if it only took her two nights to show up, they would literally be on death's door just in their condition, let alone if a few wights walked out to try the ice, or if one of the Walkers threw something at he ice themselves.

There's suspension of disbelief, and then there are things you roll your eyes at.

/nerdrage

Reaction Score
What do you mean? For a while it was an absolute tour de force. People who complained nothing happened are people who like Michael Bay movies. It was all subtlety and nuance.

Seriously the first four-ish seasons were right up there. Coming from someone who has watched The Wire through 4 times

Reaction Score
Watched the "behind the episode". Apparently staying on the island around semi-frozen water was "the only" way that they could have possibly survived the scenario they found themselves in.

And the explanation for Benjen's death.... gears were ground

How long do you think it took Gendry to run back to the Wall? We got that final shot of him seeing it with the huge forest that laid between him and it, and that was after presumably some serious running already. How long do you think it took exhausted Gendry to run that last portion through the snow?

You're confusing definitive statements with statements of skepticism. We don't believe it is plausible for five dudes to survive more than a night exposed completely to the cold that the Winter brought on by the Night King produces (none of us are chemists, but I wonder how quickly already-freezing ice would re-freeze in those temperatures), with no food or water, after having already exerted themselves in the initial fight and chase.

Or hell, as long as it took for Gendry to run back to the Wall (seriously why didn't they go on horseback? Could've solved a massive part of this hole), get a raven to Dragonstone, and have Danny fly hundreds and hundreds of miles to their exact location. The longer that ice allegedly took to re-freeze, the longer they went without food or water. I believe it's nearly impossible for anyone to survive more than a couple days without water. Even if it only took her two nights to show up, they would literally be on death's door just in their condition, let alone if a few wights walked out to try the ice, or if one of the Walkers threw something at he ice themselves.

/nerdrage

Skepticism. About surviving the dead's siege. I see. I am skeptical five dudes could survive a fight with Ice Zombies too.

Reaction Score
Skepticism. About surviving the dead's siege. I see. I am skeptical five dudes could survive a fight with Ice Zombies too.
Within the context of this show, I am as well. The show thinks it's Lord of the Rings now.

Someone else mentioned this point, but another part of this is that this ridiculousness is around which a massive plot pivot occurs. Danny loses one of her dragons, and NK gains one; and Benjen's character arc goes out with a whimper, while Jorah's near-inexplicably trudges on (I'm starting to wonder what his mini-arc with Grayscale was meant for now; didn't really serve his story and didnt advance Sam's IIRC)

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Within the context of this show, I am as well. The show thinks it's Lord of the Rings now.

Someone else mentioned this point, but another part of this is that this ridiculousness is around which a massive plot pivot occurs. Danny loses one of her dragons, and NK gains one; and Benjen's character arc goes out with a whimper, while Jorah's near-inexplicably trudges on (I'm starting to wonder what his mini-arc with Grayscale was meant for now; didn't really serve his story and didnt advance Sam's IIRC)

Man you are really Jonesing for Uncle Benjen. Is he a vegan or something? What do you see in a minor bit character that has gotten you so upset?

P.s. This show couldn't touch Lord of the Rings. Don't go there.

Reaction Score

Another Michael Bay reference. You girls really are on the same cycle.

Reaction Score

Yea, I disagree with this but perhaps I'm in the minority. The best part of the show was the political intrigue and the slow building of drama and the multi faceted characters, no doubt. But the show has had significant stretches and plot points that were garbage. Like any Dorne scenes, and huge chunks of Dany's arc. It's had great highs but I have it a step below the all-timers.

Reaction Score
The Benjen scene seems weak but perhaps things will be explained next episode. When Benjen rescued Meera and Bran, he said he was signaled by the 3 Eyed Raven. Could Bran aka 3ER #2 have hailed Benjen from Winterfell?

I don't get the "no time" deal when instead of scooping John up on the horse, he straight up sacrifices himself but maybe, just maybe his appearance can be explained.

Reaction Score
Man you are really Jonesing for Uncle Benjen. Is he a vegan or something? What do you see in a minor bit character that has gotten you so upset?
That's all you have to fire back on? Okay

I personally like Benjen likely a little more than most. I like his character, his character's demeanor and all, and I think that the role is acted well.

There has been a slight off-screen build-up of Benjen since he and Jon initially parted, especially so when he then saved Bran. I've also done some outside-watching research/entertainment and have learned a little more about Benjen.

But beyond that, it's really about his relationship with Jon that led me to be very disappointed in their final moment together. I knew Benjen would eventually have to die, and I wans't expecting it to be all ceremonious or sentimental like between Aragon and Boromir. Benjen is not only Jon's uncle, but he is more a father figure and idol to Jon than was Ned. Both from the same family, both up at the Wall assuming a whole new life and set of duties. When Jon came to the Wall (after Benjen initially invited him), he dreamed of being a Ranger going out with his uncle Benjen. It is well-known that Benjen, as First Ranger, was a hero to Jon. There are allusions to Benjen being aware of Jon's actual lineage. When he disappeared, Jeor Mormont went out himself with the Night's Watch to find him. He's connected in some way to the Three-Eyed Raven. His survival as relayed to Bran is the answer to the cure for becoming turned to the undead, and is a clue as to how the White Walkers are made.

Like I said in my tl;dr, they could have, and should have, had him do something more than show up late, take out a couple surprised nerfed wights, throw Jon on his horse, yell out "THERE'S NO TIME", and then get mowed down by said nerfed zombies.

Just because you didn't see him a lot on screen doesn't mean he wasn't a significant part of the story and other characters' development (in this case, Jon's).

Reaction Score
Yea, I disagree with this but perhaps I'm in the minority. The best part of the show was the political intrigue and the slow building of drama and the multi faceted characters, no doubt. But the show has had significant stretches and plot points that were garbage. Like any Dorne scenes, and huge chunks of Dany's arc. It's had great highs but I have it a step below the all-timers.
Genuinely curious

Name 5 HBO shows that are better than Game of Thrones

Reaction Score
Genuinely curious

Definitely The Wire and Deadwood. Do comedies count? Curb is an all-timer for me and Silicon Valley is inching upwards. Does Band of Brothers count? Sopranos is probably a no-brainer for most but I haven't seen it. Leftovers is probably more acclaimed but I prefer GOT. I also prefer GOT to both 6 Feet Under and Boardwalk Empire. True Detective S1 was better than any of GOT but the second series sucked. I don't know - I obviously really like the show but I think it is a step below the elite of the elite. Like I have mentioned several times, there were times in S4 and S5 when watching was more of a commitment than anything else. It was awesome to start, and redeemed itself later but is not flawless TV. I have high hopes for Westworld and I loved the way the show ended but too soon to tell.

August_West

Conscience do cost
Reaction Score
Genuinely curious

The wire
The sopranos
Curb your enthusiasm
Deadwood
6 feet under
The leftovers
Last week tonight with John Oliver
Flight of the concords

Reaction Score
Definitely The Wire and Deadwood. Do comedies count? Curb is an all-timer for me and Silicon Valley is inching upwards. Does Band of Brothers count? Sopranos is probably a no-brainer for most but I haven't seen it. Leftovers is probably more acclaimed but I prefer GOT. I also prefer GOT to both 6 Feet Under and Boardwalk Empire. True Detective S1 was better than any of GOT but the second series sucked. I don't know - I obviously really like the show but I think it is a step below the elite of the elite. Like I have mentioned several times, there were times in S4 and S5 when watching was more of a commitment than anything else. It was awesome to start, and redeemed itself later but is not flawless TV. I have high hopes for Westworld and I loved the way the show ended but too soon to tell.
Have barely heard of Deadwood at all; I'll binge that. Never saw Curb but I may watch eventually. Interesting that you say Silicon Valley is getting good; haven't heard much of it since it's first couple seasons and the presumed premise doesn't interest me, but okay. Love love love Band of Brothers but that's a mini-series. I really was not at all blown away by the Sopranos, hailed as an all-time great. I just never got Leftovers. An ex of mine watched Six Feet Under and enjoyed it but definitely liked Game better when we were together. Yeah True Detective can't be way up there because while it's first season did exceed anything on Game, it's other half (although can you even count it as a show or serial mini-series) was an entire season of Dorne-level crap.

Where would you put Oz?

Reaction Score
Have barely heard of Deadwood at all; I'll binge that. Never saw Curb but I may watch eventually. Interesting that you say Silicon Valley is getting good; haven't heard much of it since it's first couple seasons and the presumed premise doesn't interest me, but okay. Love love love Band of Brothers but that's a mini-series. I really was not at all blown away by the Sopranos, hailed as an all-time great. I just never got Leftovers. An ex of mine watched Six Feet Under and enjoyed it but definitely liked Game better when we were together. Yeah True Detective can't be way up there because while it's first season did exceed anything on Game, it's other half (although can you even count it as a show or serial mini-series) was an entire season of Dorne-level crap.

Where would you put Oz?

Never seen OZ. Leftovers S1 sucks but 2 and 3 were very good and possibly great. You can probably watch 2 episodes of Curb and realize if you love it or hate it. Funny about the Sopranos, I have tried to get into to it on several occasions and haven't been able to. You are one of the few I have seen who wasn't impressed. But it also took me 3 attempts to get into BB, which I ended up loving.

Reaction Score

GoT is not going to age poorly like The Wire has. I mean, they use beepers.

And mentioning Silicon Valley in the same breath as GoT shreds your credibility. Badly.

Reaction Score
GoT is not going to age poorly like The Wire has. I mean, they use beepers.

And mentioning Silicon Valley in the same breath as GoT shreds your credibility. Badly.

Fortunately, I do not value your opinion one iota.

Reaction Score
Never seen OZ. Leftovers S1 sucks but 2 and 3 were very good and possibly great. You can probably watch 2 episodes of Curb and realize if you love it or hate it. Funny about the Sopranos, I have tried to get into to it on several occasions and haven't been able to. You are one of the few I have seen who wasn't impressed. But it also took me 3 attempts to get into BB, which I ended up loving.
I think I was over Sopranos in S3 or 4 but stuck it out

Edit but then again I binged that when I was bedridden with a fairly decent case of Mono I caught on a weekend trip to Chicago. So between that, the meds, and the other... unprescribed herbal remedies... I have next to no actual concrete memories of the show. So maybe it's due for a rewatch. I imagine lots of people say they love The Sopranos because everyone else says how great it allegedly is.

Then again again, I believe this was also around the time I watched Breaking Bad for the first time through, and I wasn't nearly as miffed; it wasn't a chore to get through. I will also say here that I am one who was also not completely blown away by Breaking Bad either

Last edited:
Reaction Score
Guess I'm in the minority, but I enjoyed the episode and this whole season tremendously. The pull back sight of them on that rock surrounded by the dead had me on the edge of my seat. Sure, there are things that can be quibbled about, but it's all about the entertainment value to me and I found it to have a high return on my investment of time.

My finale prediction is that Arya takes Pod's face to infiltrate Kings Landing and kill Cersie.

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jfreeds

Top Bottom